Jan

ah, facts are stubborn things…..

You know all those Teapublicans and their media buddies who are complaining about the amount of time the President takes off?

In fairness to them, they were just as critical of President Bush. And they concede that he took waaaaaaaay more time off than President Obama. Ho ho, kidding …. they tend to, um, overlook these pesky facts and figures:

President Obama (over two years)

Vacation trips: 10 (spanning 58 days)

Trips to Camp David: 15 (spanning 35 days)

Total over two years: 93 days

** Percentage days ‘off’: 12.7 **

George W Bush (over eight years)

Trips to Camp David: 149 (spanning 487 days)

Trips to his Texas ranch: 77 (spanning 490 days)

Trips to his parents’ home in Maine: 11 (spanning 43 days)

Total over eight years: 1020 days

** Percentage days ‘off’: 34.9 **

Source: CBS/Mark Knoller – President Obama ‘By The Numbers’ here; Bush ‘By The Numbers’ here

But, but, but: what about all the golf President Obama plays?!

Well, if he, say, played Monday to Friday or canceled his State of the Union speech or postponed Israeli-Palestinian peace talks so he could play an extra round, I’d understand the Teapublican OUTRAGE (capital letters are important when you’re talking OUTRAGE).

But…. he plays at weekends and during his vacations. He’s active, fit, healthy – you know, good things. Bush spent most of his time off (over a third of his Presidency) watching sport on TV, sometimes getting so excited he choked on pretzels. I dunno, do Teapublicans believe pretzel-choking on the couch to be a more noble Presidential pursuit?

But, but, but: when Bush was at Camp David he was still working! Presidents are never off duty!

Okay, let’s do a deal – we’ll deduct the Camp David days … for both Presidents.

Deduct the Texas ranch trips too!

But, but, but: what about the cost of President Obama’s trip to Hawaii?!

That once-a-year-trip? Teapublicans? Do you really want to go there? No, no, I don’t mean Hawaii, I mean the cost thing.

Source

So, President Obama? Get yourself to the golf course: now. And enjoy your time off, you deserve it. ;-)

(Although….honestly Mr President, I just don’t see how this golf thing can be relaxing)

14 Responses to “ah, facts are stubborn things…..”

1. 1 Hachikō
    January 2, 2011 at 7:44 pm

Practice makes perfect, Chip! LOL!

• January 2, 2011 at 7:51 pm

Huh, not for me – I tried golf twice and retired, having left the course looking like a ploughed field. Using a shovel instead of a club probably wasn’t a good idea, but it was my only hope of getting the ball airborne. *** blush ***

• 3 majii
        January 2, 2011 at 10:06 pm

My S/O loves it! I bought him a new set of clubs for Christmas, so as soon as it warms up a little more here in GA, he’ll be off to the nearest golf course. In the wintertime, he just goes out to “hit a few.” I know how to play, and I enjoy playing, but I’m not as dedicated to the game as he is. I’m just glad that when he watches it on teevee, it’s in the family room. I have the new flat panel in our bedroom all to myself! Hee hee

2. 4 Stylishgurl
    January 2, 2011 at 7:48 pm

Here we go again!! Seriously these people need to find something to do. *shakes head*

• 5 majii
      January 2, 2011 at 10:15 pm

The complaints du jour are as follows:

***the president’s comments lamenting the deaths and injuries of Muslims and Christians in Egypt hurt their widdle feelings (they’re angry because he included Muslims because, in their minds, all Muslims are working toward the extinction of all Christians worldwide.) I find this strange because I’m a Christian, and I do not feel threatened by Islam or Muslims.

***Little Billy Kristol whining on Pox about the 6 recess appointments the president made (Bush didn’t make ANY recess appointments. John Bolton’s appointment to the UN was approved by the Senate, doncha know?)

**the revival of the death panel/health rationing lie on the Pox Channel

The republicans suffer from constant selective amnesia. Nothing bad/negative happened before January 20, 2009, except President Obama signing the TARP bill into law in 2008 before the November elections. LOL

3. January 2, 2011 at 8:15 pm

Of course, if Obama was rich enough to have a multi-million dollar ranch or a compound in Kennebunkport – he wouldn’t have to worry about all of those pesky hotel costs.
    ;-)

4. 8 Perry
    January 2, 2011 at 8:43 pm

Well…well…the facts speak for themselves. I guess clearing brush counts as a workout – trying to look like the Marlboro Man.

5. 9 ari
    January 2, 2011 at 9:02 pm

This is such a ridiculous argument. It’s the President of the United States, it’s a dam complicated highly stressful job. I would love to see any of those mofo’s do the job and not take vacations. And to top it all off, these so called ‘vacations’ is never really the kind of ‘vacation’ as we know.

These people just need to shut the hell up about this, it’s getting tired and stale, and it’s just plain @#$%^ stupid.

6. 12 CEB
    January 2, 2011 at 10:04 pm

It’s the same old racism. No one ever talked about the cost of anything that a president had done until President Obama. Because of this kind of talk there are many things that the Obama’s pay for (refused the money that was to be used to redecorate the private residence; they paid for it, especially the girls’ rooms) themselves. The office of the president is to be respected and properly supported and maintained no matter who is in office. They can’t get anything on him, so they keep beating this tired horse. One of the reasons that I have not watched any so-called news casts in months is because of this kind of foolishness. We have serious problems and we need serious people to help us deal with them. This is a non-story.

• 13 majii
      January 2, 2011 at 10:23 pm

Excellent comment! I feel the same way. Some of the conservatives are too petty to even call themselves Christians, at least I think they are. H3ll, I think if Jesus were president, they’d do him the same way they’re doing PBO. I do believe you’re right when you say there’s a certain amount of racism inherent in these attacks. They never let up. Even when the president wins, they make sure that their supporters understand that it’s really a failure and a major threat to their way of life and their freedoms. I don’t see how they sleep soundly at night. My conscience wouldn’t let me sleep knowing that I lie, lie, and lie again, in an attempt to destroy someone who has never done anything to me.

• 14 Sue in Minnesota
        January 3, 2011 at 3:17 am

I don’t recognize the teachings of Jesus in the actions or proclamations of these “Christians”. There are many, that rather than believing what they see, insist on seeing what they believe.