Jan

meet the new press sec

Jay Carney, left, the new White House Press Secretary. (His wife Claire Shipman, Senior National Correspondent for ABC’s Good Morning America, is on the right of the photo, ABC’s ‘Green Room Girl’ is in the center)

Washington Post: President Obama has chosen Jay Carney to serve as his new press secretary, replacing longtime loyalist Robert Gibbs who is leaving his post in mid February, according to a senior Administration official.

The White House will also name Office of Health Reform Nancy-Ann DeParle and current White House director of scheduling and Advance Alyssa Mastromonaco as deputy chiefs of staff.

Carney, who is currently communications director for Vice President Joe Biden, came to the White House in 2009 after a long career in journalism in which he served — among other posts — as Washington bureau chief of Time magazine.

More here

7 Responses to “meet the new press sec”

1. 1 northanger
    January 27, 2011 at 4:27 pm

Godspeed Gibbsie!

2. January 27, 2011 at 4:36 pm

The three look very good. The little one in the middle looks pregnant and very cute. If actually pregnant, she looks like the type who will quickly hand in her latest piece just as she’s rushed off to the hospital.

I’ll miss Gibbs, too. I think he’s done an excellent job and I think the press corps likes him.

3. 3 SUE DUVALL SMITH
    January 27, 2011 at 4:52 pm

I KNOW THAT CHANGES ALWAYS HAVE TO COME…I LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING JAY CARNEY AT WORK…BUT, I’M REALLY GOING TO MISS MY MAN GIBBBBBBBBBSIE! I RECALL THE OLD DAYS WHEN THE ‘THEN SENATOR’ WAS ON THE TRAIL AND WE WERE INTRODUCED TO GIBBSIE’S SMILING FACE. THE COMFORT IS KNOWING THAT HE AND THE PRESIDENT WILL REMAIN CLOSE AND STILL WORKING TOGETHER! I WISH HIM ALL THE BLESSINGS…HE’S A GOOD MAN!

4. 4 Fred
    January 27, 2011 at 5:16 pm

as for Mr Carney welcome Sir :D

P.S Mr Carney I have to fess up to having a crush on your wife ;) :D

5. 5 Pinkbunny
    January 27, 2011 at 6:04 pm

I think Jay coming from journalism background, is well suited to being Press Secretary! I think he’ll know how to handle idiotic questions from MSM!

I’ll miss Gibbs!!! And his references to his son Ethan ! And his loyalty to the President!!

6. 6 sherijr
    January 27, 2011 at 8:09 pm

I’ll miss Gibbs too- I’ve always liked him and his calm demeanor. Welcome to Mr. Carney- although having been working for VP Biden already, I’m sure he’ll be great. Frankly I wouldn’t wish that job on anyone.. dealing with the knuckleheads in the press would turn my stomach ;(

7. 7 Eleroy
    January 27, 2011 at 9:09 pm

I’ll wait to see how he works out, there will be plenty of time to find out more about him!!!