Feb

remember this?

New Orleans, October 2009

I was thrilled to receive an email from Lisa, the mother of that beautiful little boy, Tyren Scott, tonight:

“The question that Bill O’Reilly asked: ‘Why do so many people hate you?” Well, my son asked that question at 10 years old, but in a loving way. My son’s question was: “Why do people hate you when they should love you – GOD IS LOVE.”

As I told Tyren’s mother, “When I watched the interview with O’Reilly and heard him ask that ‘hate’ question I genuinely, truthfully thought of your little boy – and how he asked the President a similar question, but, as you put it, in a loving way. O’Reilly asked it in a spiteful, vicious way, like it was the President’s ‘fault’ for provoking such feelings from people who, frankly, hate him largely because of the color of his skin. The contrast between your boy and O’Reilly was just stunning.”

Tyren’s Mom’s next email: “Tyren received letters at his school from people all over the nation. Look at how our President talked to my son like they were the only ones in the room. President Obama is a caring man.”

Lisa sent me photos of her son with the President – can’t thank her enough.

25 Responses to “remember this?”

1. 1 Tally
    February 9, 2011 at 9:02 pm

“Hammer, I’d like to introduce you to Head of Nail.”

O’Rudely is a tool, while Tyler is full of grace. His mother did well. Brava!

2. 3 Me4obama
    February 9, 2011 at 9:07 pm

This is so depressing.

• 5 Hachikō
      February 10, 2011 at 12:00 am

I actually found it uplifting. “and a child shall lead the way.” Tyren is here to show hatemongers like O’Lielly how it should be done. I don’t find that depressing. I find that inspiring. O’Lielly should be ashamed, but it’s obvious he lacks a conscience and the ability to feel such a basic human emotion.

3. 6 Tulips
    February 9, 2011 at 9:25 pm

Wow that was great. I think it really bothered him about the hate.

4. 7 Eleroy
    February 9, 2011 at 9:53 pm

President Obama is God’s good gift to the United States and the world!!! They can try, but the forces of darkness represented by the O’reilly’s of the world, can never destroy this good and brilliant President!!!

Thank you Lisa for doing a great job as a mother and a citizen!!!

5. 8 Me4obama
    February 9, 2011 at 9:55 pm

Chipsticks it’s depressing because telling PBO that people hate him by Oreilly is affecting more people than I originally thought. I remember that boy so well and it was during health debate when teapartiers well holding racist signs. I cry then and I cry again 2nite reading that post. I hope that boy is not permanently affected because hate is powerful word.

• February 9, 2011 at 10:23 pm

Hey Me4obama, I can’t even begin to imagine how that young boy feels, torn between pride in his President and utter confusion and hurt at the hatred leveled at him, purely because of the color of his skin. I just don’t know any more. That Barack Obama occupies the Oval Office is a constant source of joy for me; that his presence there continues to prompt such levels of frenzied hate is bewildering. Most depressing of all, the hate doesn’t just come from the far right, it comes from the Professional Left too. Just browse through the threads on ** on any given day, the racism can be overwhelming. It’s usually expressed by the nutjob wing of the gay rights movement, the very first to scream ‘RACE CARD’ when their ugly bigotry is condemned – when a passing reference to the color pink will have you dubbed a ‘HOMOPHOBE!!!!!!”. But forgive them: they were soooo disappointed by the repeal of DADT, it wrecked their meme about President Obama being a HOMOPHOBE!!!! I loathe them, and while I’ll continue to support gay marriage, etc, I wish nothing but ill on the pathetic racist bigot wing of the gay rights movement.

• 10 ari
        February 9, 2011 at 11:13 pm

CS, i feel the same way, and i NEVER thought i would say that. It was an eye opener, to see how racist ‘the nutbjob wing of the gay rights movement are’ a real eyo opener. So much so, i find it incredibly hard to support any of their causes.

6. 11 EDP4BHO
    February 9, 2011 at 10:10 pm

It is troubling that the media felt it necessary to question the little boy as if hatred of the President is a new-found concept. They will use anyone to get ratings and viewership, but this country is, as Attorney-General Eric Holder said, a coward when it comes to discussing race in a substantive manner. I am still waiting for someone reputable who has prime access to the airwaves, to call it as it really is, and begin a discussion about just who hates the President and why. By the way, that little boy stole my heart because he has such a big one. He is miles ahead of most adults in this nation.

• 12 majii
      February 9, 2011 at 11:17 pm

Former President Carter already tried to point out that some of the opposition to PBO has its basis in racism, and Fox and the rw media vilified him for telling the truth. His honesty and real Christian values are the reasons I voted for him as governor of GA and for POTUS. I have always regretted that he didn’t get a second term in office, and I blame the PL, the frustrati, and the MSM of the late 1970s and early 1980s for helping Reagan to win and send this country down a path that led to where we are today. They were guilty of gross negligence then, and they’re just as guilty of it today. Sometimes members of the Democratic Party are the party’s worst enemies and aid and abet the MSM and conservatives in undermining a sitting democratic president.

7. 13 Perry
    February 9, 2011 at 10:19 pm

No respect for the President. Ugh!

8. 14 Me4obama
    February 9, 2011 at 10:53 pm

Chipsticks everything u said is so true about DU and it is going to be on my next chopping block after huff and puff. Everytime I go there I have to come back immediately on your blog to cool myself down. So much hate and negative threads about PBO. U r a God Send chipsticks.

9. 15 Sue in Minnesota
    February 9, 2011 at 11:22 pm

Clearly, Tyren reflects an innocent and loving heart. I can only imagine how confusing the hypcrisy and hate apparent in our world must seem to a young child, it confuses and upsets me with 55 years of life under my belt. Bill O’Reilly, intended malice with his words….and as adult can and should be held responsible for his ugly attitudes.

10. 16 Tally
    February 10, 2011 at 12:40 am

The bottom line is this: Hatred and Racism are taught. No one is born that way. O’Reilly just perpetuates it.

11. 17 Jennifer
    February 10, 2011 at 12:43 am

Whenever it gets really bad, I just remind myself that he’s still president and, by god, I’m going to enjoy each and every minute of it every single day I can. This site helps a lot.

12. 19 Sue in Minnesota
    February 10, 2011 at 1:15 am

“Makes you wanna holler, throw up both my hands”…….

13. 20 Sonjia Duncan
    February 10, 2011 at 1:25 am

Tyren will do just fine, he knows what is true. That God is Love. If you believe in God you must also know that there is evil in this world. I learned that lesson as a young teen during the Civil Rights Movement. It restored my Faith in the Lord when confronted by so much hate and evil. God’s protection made me strong, otherwise I would not have been able to do what was right to win my full citizenship as an American. This is my Country and I am not a hypenated American.

14. February 10, 2011 at 4:14 am

President Obama truly has a very thick skin to deal with all of this. You heard it from the First Lady.

And I like that he has the safety net of his family to come home to at the end of the day. The fact that he leaves work at work and not bring it home.

But it does anger me to see all this hate out there and the stupid stories the media is obsessed with it. The most recent about his “hair”. I mean it’s just plain ridiculous.

15. February 10, 2011 at 9:03 am

I look at it this way. Our President must be doing something right because the wing-nuts would not be so relentless in their hate mongering. They are truly afraid of him and want to tear him down. I thank God every single day for our President that he is so strong. I wish I knew of some magis potion that could eliminate all this silliness, lies and hatred.

16. 23 meta
    February 10, 2011 at 9:20 am

What a beautiful extraordinary child. He must make his family so very proud. There is so much hatred and bigotry fomented by extremists in our media and our government. Thank goodness for parents like this who take care to teach their children right from wrong and how to handle all the negative and nasty insults. I know Tyren will be grow up to be a great citizen and I wish him and his family the best.

17. 24 Carolyn
    February 10, 2011 at 10:09 am

I’m old enough to remember JFK, and the hatred towards him. People hated him because he was a “Yankee” and a Catholic. The hate was palpable and vitriolic. He was warned not to go to Dallas, he went anyway, because Dallas is part of the U.S. and the president should be able to go anywhere in the U.S.! We all know what happened there, and I stay scared for the safety of our precious president. However, I do know the Secret Service protection is much improved since 1963. O’Reilly and his ilk are like 5th grade bullies on the playground: always looking for the scapegoat to hate…..someone a little different from themselves. Obviously these people, Lauer included, are not professional journalists.

18. 25 Vicki
    February 10, 2011 at 10:28 am

I think we should all send this to Bill O’Reilly. Fill up his in-box. oreilly@foxnews.com.