Feb

what’s going on?

First Lady Michelle Obama speaks during a student workshop event, ‘The Sound of Young America: The History of Motown,’ that brings students from across the country to participate in an event with Motown legends in the State Dining Room of the White House in Washington, DC, February 24. Seated alongside Obama are (L-R): Singer John Legend, singer Smokey Robinson, record producer Berry Gordy and Robert Santelli, the GRAMMY Museums Executive Director.

‘The Motown Sound: In Performance at the White House’ is live on the White House site (here) tonight, 7:00 PM EST

Barry Manilow. Oh, wait, sorry – Nick Jonas.

Any excuse to post this …. all together:

And for sherijr….hey, I feel like a DJ!

And, of course:

38 Responses to “what’s going on?”

1. February 24, 2011 at 5:27 pm

FLOTUS is beautiful as usual.

2. 2 sherijr
    February 24, 2011 at 5:28 pm

ohhh S M O K E Y… Tears of clownnnn when noones arounddddd. Still love Mr. Robinson.. and yes Marvin Gaye too- nice title Chipsticks ;)

And John Legend… smooth and beautiful.

This is my music~

• 3 Tulips
      February 24, 2011 at 5:42 pm

ok sherijr, don’t get me out of my seat. LOL!

• February 24, 2011 at 5:46 pm

:lol: You have a beeeeeeeeeeeeautiful voice, Sherijr!!!

• 6 sherijr
        February 24, 2011 at 6:22 pm

lol.. yeah I’m a regular Diana Ross.. NOT. Can’t carry a tune to save my life- but I love to sing.. its a sad story ;)

• February 24, 2011 at 6:26 pm

Ha, that makes two of us – my ‘singing’ sounds like the air coming out of a tyre :oops:

• 8 Sue in Minnesota
          February 24, 2011 at 10:21 pm

I bet my voice would make the both of yours sound like sweet birds. Does not stop me…..at least not in the confines of my own home….I do respect the ears of others in public spaces.

Dancing is even more implusive for me….I can not sit still in the presence of music. It should embarrass me, but it doesn’t, it is one of the few things I have never felt self conscious about.

• 9 Sonjia Duncan
          February 24, 2011 at 11:11 pm

sherijr we must be sisters of a different mother, when I sing to my music my family just gets up and leave the room shaking their head.

3. 10 sherijr
    February 24, 2011 at 5:29 pm

omg is this going to be broadcast for us to watch too tonight?? oh yeah.. please??

4. 14 Fred
    February 24, 2011 at 6:16 pm

good grief Nick Jonah! :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

nice to see Mrs O and John;Mr Gordy and Robinson :D

5. 15 barb
    February 24, 2011 at 6:25 pm

Love Michelle’s dress. This is some of my very favorite music. Love Smokey. I notice Sheryl Crow is also on the agenda. I don’t really think of her as a Motown singer but as much as she has been involved I know she is an Obama supporter.
    I miss Marvin Gaye. Love the groups of the past..Temptations.(I heard them in person when they were older) It was at a conference and another woman and I ran up to the first row acting like school girls. :lol:
    I have a tape of the origianl Motown singers which I got from PBS.

I asked a question in the other thread but see that you have answered it here. Thanks Chipsticks.

• 16 Sue in Minnesota
      February 24, 2011 at 10:40 pm

I fell in love with Marvin Gaye over the radio…..I Heard It Through The Grapevine……I still love him, and am saddened that his life was cut needlessly and unnaturally short.

Got To Give It Up/A Funky Space Reincarnation…no way can I sit through that.

• February 24, 2011 at 10:58 pm

Love that song too, Sue, but ‘What’s Going on’ will forever be the song that inspires me – every time I hear it is like the first time, shivers down my spine.

• 18 Sue in Minnesota
          February 24, 2011 at 11:21 pm

And still relevant today…..only love can conquer hate. The work continues……. thanks Chipsticks for keeping us moving in the right direction.

6. February 24, 2011 at 6:38 pm

I found this list of the ‘Greatest Motown Songs’ at http://www.digitaldreamdoor.com/pages/best_songs-motown.html

Pick your most loved!

47. Cloud Nine – Temptations
    48. Ball of Confusion (That’s What the World Is Today) – Temptations
    49. Smiling Faces Sometimes – Undisputed Truth
    50. This Old Heart of Mine (Is Weak For You) – Isley Brothers

7. 23 Shirley
    February 24, 2011 at 6:59 pm

Hey everyone, looking forward to watching. Thank you so much Chipstick, for all that you do, to make this blog so Interesting, entertaining, and relaxing. The old songs that you listed, brings back memories of my young and fly days. I was In my twenties and thirties. Lean, tender, no bulges, no sags, and had It going on. I wore the “APOLLO” Theater out, In my New York days, when those songs were popular. I live In “Rest Palm Beach”, as my Sons call It. Lol, heyy but I’m alive, and can put one foot ahead of the other. :-) Okey dokey, let me go, I was getting lost down memory lane :-). I must admit, that It puts a smile on my face :-). Thanks again Chipsticks:-)

• February 24, 2011 at 7:10 pm

“I was In my twenties and thirties. Lean, tender, no bulges, no sags, and had It going on.”
      :lol: Ha, I bet you still have it going on Shirley!

What amazing memories you must have, what incredible music to grow up to. Hope you enjoy the show tonight, get your dancing shoes on ;-)

• 25 Shirley
        February 24, 2011 at 9:03 pm

Oh yes Chipsticks, I really did enjoy every moment. Thank you so much, you’re on the ball Chips :-) Lol, glad you think I still got It going on, hehehe

• 26 sherijr
      February 24, 2011 at 7:16 pm

Your memories have put an even bigger smile on my face Shirley- the Apollo. Wow.

8. 27 P
    February 24, 2011 at 7:12 pm

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh have so much school work to do tonight but hey I locked on strong too….multi-tasking lol

9. 28 CTGirl
    February 24, 2011 at 7:32 pm

They are on!

10. 29 sherijr
    February 24, 2011 at 7:45 pm

Oh hell ya! Outstanding opening.. love your additions to this post too Chip.. very nice. Jamie Fox is adorable isn’t he..?? :)

11. 31 Ladyhawke
    February 24, 2011 at 7:46 pm

President Obama is the essence of cool. Earlier today he was speaking with such ease and command at his first Council on Jobs and Competitiveness meeting. Tonight he kicks off The Motown Sound concert with style and and grace. The man is remarkable.

12. 32 majii
    February 24, 2011 at 7:46 pm

These songs brought back the memories. I remember when they all came out, and I remember dancing like a fool back in the day when I was a lean mean dancing machine and could really shake what my mama gave me!!! I notice that the president was trying to do the Bump at the end of the lastd video. That was a very popular dance among my group in college in the 1970s. He’s much too young to know about the Bump, so he must have been hanging with some people my age! LOL.

Chipsticks, thanks for the memories, darling.

13. 33 majii
    February 24, 2011 at 7:47 pm

^^^last^^^

14. 34 sherijr
    February 24, 2011 at 7:48 pm

Omg Sheryl might make me cry.. she sounds so like Michael when he was a kid.. I was mad crazy inlove with Michael when I was 12 (he was 11)..

15. 35 sherijr
    February 24, 2011 at 9:06 pm

Dear Chipsticks.. I didn’t even realize you’d posted Smokey for me.. thank you thank you.. god he was good ;)

16. 36 barb
    February 24, 2011 at 9:32 pm

Does anyone remember these dances?

The Bustop
    The Strolll
    The West Coast
    The Twist
    Twist and Shout
    The Hustle
    Calipso
    Mash Potato
    The Swim
    Hand Jive
    The Watusi
    The Limbo

My granddaughter was home at Christmas and was doing the Hand Jive. She asked me is I knew it and I said yes. She asked if we had a lot of different dances with special movements? She said that all they do now is just get up on the dancefloor and move around and thought it was Neat that we had so many different dances. I’v danced to all of these listed. It was always so much fun. :lol:

• 37 barb
      February 24, 2011 at 9:56 pm

I love all the songs on that list, Chipsticks.

To be able to go to the Apollo…..wow Shirley now neat.

Saw BB King in person at an free Friday nite outdoor concert and danced to “Stand by Me” I love that song.

Roy Orbinson In Dreams

There are so many I love and miss. You just, or maybe I should say I, don’t hear songs like that anymore.

17. 38 Sonjia Duncan
    February 24, 2011 at 11:25 pm

OMG, the stage shows at the Royal theatre on Pennsylvania Avenue in Baltimore City. I saw them all, Little Stevie Wonder, Marvin Gaye, the Temptations, Gladys Knight and the Pips, James Brown, Red Fox, Odells, and I could go on so many talented stars. I spent all my babysitting money on 45′s of my favorites. I remember my first LP’s The Supremes, some really good memories from some really good music.