Mar

poor steve

Greg Sargent (Washington Post): The other day, the Associated Press reported that House Republicans were going easy on their own budgets for staff and salaries even as they hack away at the budgets of many federal agencies.

Along these lines, constituents in Arkansas’ third district recently had a question for their new Congressman, freshman GOP Rep. Steve Womack. If Republicans are cutting the budget, why not cut proportionally into their own salaries and benefits, too? A local Arkansas paper reports that Womack gave his constituents an interesting answer:

More than one person asked Womack, during and right after the public meeting at the Northwest Arkansas Convention Center in Springdale, why members of Congress couldn’t trim their own salary and health benefits as part of the many other domestic programs facing cuts.

Womack responded … “My income is $174,000 a year. I do make a sizable amount, more than many people in this room, but I am not a wealthy person.”

Full article here

8 Responses to “poor steve”

1. 1 Temp
    March 1, 2011 at 2:04 pm

LOL!!! but teachers are living better than Donald Trump.

2. 2 barb
    March 1, 2011 at 2:22 pm

We really need to find a way to jump on our congressman and ask them to lead by example. Then need to cut their expenses first….many are millionares.

3. 3 bjw2
    March 1, 2011 at 2:39 pm

This sound like the treatment I received from older brothers and sisters growing up when we were dividing up gelly beans, “One for you and Two for me”.

4. 5 Shirley
    March 1, 2011 at 4:22 pm

Well knock me down, and call me shorty!!! Do you believe this response People??? HELLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. Some People lost and Is loosing their homes, jobs, Insurances, self esteem, hope, everything. HELLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO STEVE, can you hear me? Can you try to feel me???????

• 6 Sue in Minnesota
      March 1, 2011 at 7:27 pm

Steve was elected to represent and serve. Steve should be asking his constituents if he has, in fact earned his $174,000.00 paycheck with benefits.

5. 7 Theo67
    March 1, 2011 at 9:18 pm

First, they should have cut their salaries by 30% when they started on their “two weeks on – one week off” schedule, especially when compared with the effectiveness of the 111th Congress. Second, this is just who they are. They have no consciences.

6. 8 Titti
    March 2, 2011 at 6:17 am

This guy is unbelievable, typical politician; no empathy at all so far removed from the reality of what is going on in the ‘real world’.