Mar

presidential picks (updated)

ESPN: March Madness is back at the White House, and President Barack Obama is picking the top seeds to advance to the Final Four. For the third straight year, Obama has filled out an NCAA tournament bracket for ESPN.com senior college basketball writer Andy Katz. He says Duke, Kansas, Ohio State and Pittsburgh will make the men’s Final Four … and predicts Baylor, UConn, Stanford and Tennessee will advance in the women’s tournament.

The president’s men’s bracket, including his choice for national champion, will be revealed on the noon (ET) “SportsCenter” on Wednesday. His selections for the women’s bracket will be unveiled Friday on the 9 a.m. (ET) “SportsCenter.”

The basketball-player-in-chief is 1-1 when it comes to college basketball’s men’s national championship. He correctly picked North Carolina to win in 2009. Last year, he went with Kansas, but Duke ended up taking home the trophy.

9 Responses to “presidential picks (updated)”

1. 1 Anonymous
    March 16, 2011 at 11:09 am

Oh the nail biting begins. We are in State Tournament mode here in Minnesota, my brother coaches and his daughter plays on a high school basketball team that is now playing in the final stages of the tournament. We’ve been here a few times before, but the excitement and the nerves never seem to diminish. Go Lions! Go Taylor…give it your best!

I hope our President is on with his picks….it’s tough to call the winners, anything can happen on any given night. I’m routing for Ohio State, Big Ten School and impressed with Jared Sullinger. I think it would be great for the citizens of Ohio…they deserve an opportunity to cheer.

• 2 Dorothy Rissman
      March 16, 2011 at 6:34 pm

Anony, I am a huge basketball fan. I grew up in Kansas, but I am not a jayhawk fan. I do like Duke, but they have won so many times. So I am also going to go with Ohio State. Yahoo. We are going to have us some fun–plus nail biting.

• 3 barb
        March 16, 2011 at 9:40 pm

Dorothy!!!!! I am a Kansan also. Left for awhile to Colorado….Husbands deployment……but back again for a longtime now. You don’t even like the Rock, Chalk, Jawhawk, KU……..song and cheer? Everyone should at least hear it once. It is even on the internet. Dorothy, good luck with Duke.

Will really be happy for anyone who wins. I like all of his Final Four picks. Have friends or relatives in each state. To every basketball fan. It’s party time.!!!!!!!!!:lol:

2. 4 Sonjia Duncan
    March 16, 2011 at 11:16 am

Thank you President Obama for being a fan of College Basketball. My husband, kids and I would just go mad in March shouting for our favorite team.

3. 5 AnitaW
    March 16, 2011 at 4:46 pm

I love when he does this since I usually copy his bracket. I know absolutely nothing about basketball, but I do the bracket ever year at my job.

4. 7 CEB
    March 16, 2011 at 5:02 pm

I know nothing about college b’ball, nor do I watch, but I love watching the president do this every year. Just another example of his deep knowledge about anything that he cares about. I like his “guy” side almost as much as I like to other many facets of his personality.

5. 8 barb
    March 16, 2011 at 6:38 pm

Oh My Goodness, he picked Kansas over Ohio!!! I am a Kansas Grad and spent my career at the University of Kansas Medical Center in Pediatric Endocrinology. I get so nervous in these games. My brother lives in Ohio so the bet is on. No Roy Williams UNC? Williams coached Kansas for 15 years. Oh, I am so nervous now. Wonder if they will play at the Sprint Center. Need to go look to see where all the games are. I shall return!!!

6. 9 globalcitizenlinda
    March 17, 2011 at 12:35 am

Okay President Obama, this fan of yours and Ohio State Alum has placed you temporarily in the “black book” until the NCAA madiness is over because you did not choose the OSU Buckeyes – what a major “scandal” and how will I explain your final choice to my friends????

I will give President Obama a thumbs up for his guts which made him choose red-state Kansansa over eternal Swingstate Ohio State – wtached him before and he does not pander for votes when completing his brackets