Mar

the fightback

Chicago Tribune: A Wisconsin judge has temporarily blocked the state’s new and contentious collective bargaining law from taking effect. The ruling was handed down this morning by Judge Maryann Sumi in a lawsuit filed by Dane County District Attorney Ismael Ozanne.

Ozanne contended a legislative committee that broke a stalemate that had kept the law in limbo for weeks met without the proper 24-hour notice required by Wisconsin’s open meetings law. A separate lawsuit that Sumi will also consider alleges full Senate’s vote on the law was improper.

The Republican-controlled Legislature passed the measure last week and Gov. Scott Walker signed it into law on Friday. Both Walker and Republican leaders insist it was enacted properly.

The law can’t take effect until it’s formally published by Secretary of State Doug La Follette, a Democrat. He has 10 days after the governor signs a law to publish it, and he has said he plans to use all the time allotted to him before doing so on March 25.

Ozanne, also a Democrat, wants Sumi to grant an emergency order blocking La Follette from publishing the law while a judge weighs the merits of his case.

Democratic Dane County Executive Kathleen Falk filed a similar lawsuit last Friday. Falk also sought an emergency order blocking publication, but Judge Amy Smith denied it and said Falk’s attorneys had failed to prove the law’s implementation would cause irreparable harm as the lawsuit works its way through the courts. Falk later asked the law be blocked on a non-emergency basis.

11 Responses to “the fightback”

1. 1 Asher in Boston
    March 18, 2011 at 1:20 pm

Keep fighting for what is right, Wisconsin. We are all the way behind you. Give the finger to that evil Walker and his fellow republican state senator goons.

2. 2 anniebella
    March 18, 2011 at 1:25 pm

Amen. Amen. Amen. The people of Wisconsin eyes have been open by those underhanded backstabbing Republicans, lead by that Governor Walker. The Unions workers were all set to do there part, but Walker only goal is to destroy the unions. It is to bad that the elections of 2010 can’t be redone. I think you will see a whole different outcome. Best wishes to the hard working people of Wisconsin. I’m on you guys side. Good luck with the recall of those Republicans. Can you recall Scott Walker?

• 3 majii
      March 18, 2011 at 1:53 pm

Yes, Walker CAN be recalled after he’s been in office for one year, and I hope his name is next on the list. I read on the Politicususa blog this morning that half of the needed signatures have been collected, and that it has been discovered that Hopper’s paramour, for whom he left his wife, has been given a job with, wait for it, the WI state government. How ironic.

• 4 UT Austin Liberal
        March 18, 2011 at 1:58 pm

Gosh some republican political leaders are disgusting. it’s annoying and hypocritical that they’re the party of “family values”, yet a majority of them can’t seem to keep their GOP (Grand Old Party) in their pants. I sincerely hope that Wisconsin voters don’t get voter fatigue or amnesia and neglect to KICK Scott Walker out of office.

3. March 18, 2011 at 2:07 pm

I’ve been waiting, optimistically, for a ruling on this, and so I felt pretty good about the decision to hold the legislation (“signed into law” or not) in limbo for a while. One hopes it will end up on the trash heap of history, followed by Walker and some tea-party-inclined Republican politicians.

It’s been more than a roller-coaster couple of weeks with tragedy after tragedy ending with the joy and laughter of the Irish visit to the United States. Taoiseach Kenny and his wife certainly look Irish in the best possible way. The apostrophe comment was perfect, one of those things that will be remembered for a very long time. I can’t wait to hear about the president’s visit to Ireland in May. I remember Bill Clinton’s which turned out to be a bang-up celebration.

Thank you Chipsticks for this site full of factual information and photos. It’s very much needed. It makes us all feel close to what’s going on in Washington and the world.

• 7 majii
      March 18, 2011 at 9:50 pm

Isn’t news about our president, the country, and the world so much better without the news entertainers, pundits, and self-serving politicians throwing their two cents in, Joan? I know it is for me. I can hardly recall the last time I watched teevee news programs, and I’m so much calmer and happier now.

4. 8 Blackman
    March 18, 2011 at 4:25 pm

THANK YOU, Ms. Chip!!!

In a big of my vernacular…twixt you and BWD, y’all is JAMMIN’ toDAY!! It is SO good to be able to get this perspective of our national and global events from two such dedicated women. Not to mention that I NEVER want to mess with you because I know what you got in your purse :-). Seriously…

THANK YOU, again, for bein’ “on it” and keeping us informed and up to date.

And, as I said over at BWD’s…..

Annnnd, they’re off to Brasil.

After this week, the brotha NEEDS to do the Samba!

EXcellent news out of Wisconsin!!

• March 18, 2011 at 6:37 pm

Ha, thank you Blackman!!! I promise, I’ll keep my rocket launcher in my purse …. unless, of course, I meet a Teabagger – in which case: boooooooooooooom!!!!!

5. 10 Sonjia Duncan
    March 18, 2011 at 9:50 pm

Yes I just visualized the President and First Lady on the beach doing the Samba. Oh yes, yes, yes the Samba.

Chipsticks you and BWD have started something really amazing. I have been sharing your news with my network of supporters here in Maryland and it is working. If fill that what happening GAP.

Have a great weekend and enjoy this great Spring weather go outside. Love you guys.

6. 11 Michele
    March 19, 2011 at 7:47 am

“Rusty, cry baby Boehner where is your jobs plan”. I support all WI voters ready for recall…