Mar

‘christ the redeemer’

President Barack Obama, first lady Michelle Obama and their daughters Sasha and Malia tour the Christ the Redeemer Statue on Corcovado in Rio de Janeiro, March 20

*****

A big hello to all our visiting wingnut birther buddies from wingnutevents.com (okay, okay, that’s not the blog’s real name, you didn’t think I was going to link it, did you?)

They’re all dropping by to have a look at the photos of the President and Christ the Redeemer – “Imagine George Bush snapping these photos the day after launching a military campaign against a Muslim country,” barks one of the creatures.

Um…….while, President Obama was on official duty in South and Latin America …. here’s Bush being photographed clearing brush and riding his bike during one of his many lengthy vacations at his beloved ranch … while American troops were dying in Iraq and Afghanistan:

Sourcewatch: While the war on terrorism – that is, the global struggle against violent extremism – continues in such places as Iraq and Afghanistan, President Bush will keep busy throughout the month of August, beginning on August 4th, when he will “host Colombian President Alvaro Uribe at his ranch” and “spend time outdoors … at his ranch, doing things like clearing brush and riding his bike.”

Indeed, he was a classy President:

Washington Post (2002): …President Bush … sprang from his golf cart at 6:15 a.m. and said he was “distressed to hear about the latest suicide bombers in Israel.” Just over four hours before, as Bush slept at his parents’ seaside retreat, a Palestinian suicide bomber blew up a bus in Israel, killing nine passengers.

Bush, wearing khakis and a knit shirt, was holding a driver in his gloved left hand …. however incongruous the setting, the president plunged ahead. “There are a few killers who want to stop the peace process that we have started, and we must not let them,” he said. “I call upon all nations to do everything they can to stop these terrorist killers.”

His business out of the way, Bush barely paused for breath before saying, “Thank you. Now watch this drive.”

The abrupt segue illustrates the dilemma Bush will face over the next month as he relaxes and works at his ranch in Crawford, Tex., at a time of global political volatility. On Tuesday, Bush will leave Washington behind until Labor Day. That is likely to mean a return to the golf-cart diplomacy of last summer when Bush talked Middle East peace between playing holes, at one point dripping sweat as he said Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat “can do a lot more to be convincing the people on the street to stop these acts of terrorism.”

Must try harder, wingnuts ;-) Hugs!

52 Responses to “‘christ the redeemer’”

1. 1 Me4obama
    March 20, 2011 at 8:51 pm

Been holding my breath for these pictures, more,more please! Thanks chipsticks.

2. 2 Ladyhawke
    March 20, 2011 at 8:52 pm

Chipsticks, you are amazing. I actually gasped when I clicked and saw that image. It is breathtakingly beautiful. Can’t wait for more. Thanks for all you do to keep us updated.

• March 20, 2011 at 9:03 pm

You’re welcome Ladyhawke! New photos are very slow to appear, I’m wondering if the two we have were just hand-out photos for the press, ie that press photographers weren’t allowed up there with the family? Will keep checking.

3. 5 anniebella
    March 20, 2011 at 9:00 pm

I’m waiting to CP…….

4. 6 anniebella
    March 20, 2011 at 9:04 pm

It can’t be easy for them, when even their private moments are public. But I love seeing our wonderful First Family. Where will they be heading next?

5. 8 Jessica
    March 20, 2011 at 9:05 pm

It’s kind of sad how much I’m enjoying this and I’m not even there.

March 20, 2011 at 9:05 pm

I’m loving the pics – THANK YOU Chipstics!

7. March 20, 2011 at 9:17 pm

These photos are breathtaking.

I love the silhouette.

Chipsticks I found some more video. Check it out:

8. 15 Me4obama
    March 20, 2011 at 9:18 pm

They’re such a UNIT. Look at them holding hands. That light in the background looks beautiful.

• 16 Hachikō
      March 20, 2011 at 9:36 pm

That unity struck me too, Me4Obama. The Obama family is such a wonderful example for all the world.

9. 17 CTGirl
    March 20, 2011 at 9:20 pm

Chipsticks, I cannot say it enough… thank you!

These pics… wow!

10. 18 taiping1
    March 20, 2011 at 9:21 pm

Such great shots: love the one of the family holding hands. The president practices what he preaches.

11. 19 HZ
    March 20, 2011 at 9:23 pm

Thank you so very much, Chipsticks for these pictures. You are amazing to keep us updated with such a wonderful site. Thanks so very much.

12. 20 QuietObserver
    March 20, 2011 at 9:29 pm

Gorgeous photos! From a photography/artistic perspective, the composition and contrast is very striking in pic #1. And of course, the people in the photos are lovely. :)

13. 23 Hachikō
    March 20, 2011 at 9:42 pm

Chip, thanks so much for a wonderful round-up of POTUS’ trip to Brazil. I’ve been out of the loop for a couple days, but after spending a couple hours here, I’m all caught up. So happy to see them enjoying themselves and being so well received by Brazil.

From POTUS’ speech in Brazil today:

“But we also know that there’s certain aspirations shared by every human being: We all seek to be free. We all seek to be heard. We all yearn to live without fear or discrimination. We all yearn to choose how we are governed. And we all want to shape our own destiny. These are not American ideals or Brazilian ideals. These are not Western ideals. These are universal rights, and we must support them everywhere.

Today, we are seeing the struggle for these rights unfold across the Middle East and North Africa. We’ve seen a revolution born out of a yearning for basic human dignity in Tunisia. We’ve seen peaceful protestors pour into Tahrir Square -– men and women, young and old, Christian and Muslim. We’ve seen the people of Libya take a courageous stand against a regime determined to brutalize its own citizens. Across the region, we’ve seen young people rise up -– a new generation demanding the right to determine their own future.

From the beginning, we have made clear that the change they seek must be driven by their own people. But for our two nations, for the United States and Brazil, two nations who have struggled over many generations to perfect our own democracies, the United States and Brazil know that the future of the Arab World will be determined by its people.

No one can say for certain how this change will end, but I do know that change is not something that we should fear. When young people insist that the currents of history are on the move, the burdens of the past can be washed away. When men and women peacefully claim their human rights, our own common humanity is enhanced. Wherever the light of freedom is lit, the world becomes a brighter place.

That is the example of Brazil. That is the example of Brazil. Brazil -– a country that shows that a dictatorship can become a thriving democracy. Brazil -– a country that shows democracy delivers both freedom and opportunity to its people. Brazil — a country that shows how a call for change that starts in the streets can transform a city, transform a country, transform a world.

Decades ago, it was directly outside of this theater, in Cinelandia Square, where the call for change was heard in Brazil. Students and artists and political leaders of all stripes would gather with banners that said, “Down with the dictatorship. The people in power.” Their democratic aspirations would not be fulfilled until years later, but one of the young Brazilians in that generation’s movement would go on to forever change the history of this country.

A child of an immigrant, her participation in the movement led to her arrest and her imprisonment, her torture at the hands of her own government. And so she knows what it’s like to live without the most basic human rights that so many are fighting for today. But she also knows what it is to persevere. She knows what it is to overcome — because today that woman is your nation’s president, Dilma Rousseff.”

He will leave a lasting impression.

Goodnight everyone.

14. 24 barb
    March 20, 2011 at 9:43 pm

I am speechless. Words can not describe the magestic beauty and spirit of Cristo Redentor.

If ever there is a time for the First Family to be at Cristo Redentor it is now. Sweet Lord, his face looks so drawn. Take care of our President and his family. Give him the strength to withstand all these trials. We have his back, Lord. Please encompass his body, mind, and spirit and raise him up to see Your Light to guide him.

Chipsticks, you are such a blessing for us. We would never have this opportunity without you. Thank You.

• 25 Sue in Minnesota
      March 20, 2011 at 11:06 pm

I think our President needs a few pounds for good measure….he looks so thin, which is probably a manifestation of the stress he manages day in and day out.

• 26 HZ
      March 21, 2011 at 12:11 am

What a beautiful prayer, Barb. Thank you for sharing such caring and compassionate words for our President. Your words and thoughts are those which came to my mind when I saw his face. It was almost like he gave a prayer to God at that moment for all that he has on his plate for the entire world. God will give him guidance, peace and wisdom at this time I do believe. Father, please take care of our First Family. Amen

15. 27 PoliticalJunkessa
    March 20, 2011 at 9:59 pm

Wow! Breathtaking photos. This is really something to behold. What a life the Obamas are living and I’m glad I’m here to witness history.

Thank you for all your hard work today, Chipsticks. I’m still new to your site, but I will be coming back often. Thanks again!!!

• 28 LYNN
      March 21, 2011 at 11:30 am

I AM ALSO OVER JOYED TO BE ON THIS JOURNEY WITH PRESIDENT AND HIS FAMILY…IT IS AMAZING TO WATCH HIM FROM AFAR FROM THE 1ST DAY HE TOOK OFFICE…LORD, PLEASE CONTINUE TO BLESS THIS FAMILY AND GIVE GUIDANCE AS ONLY YOU CAN TO OUR PRESIDENT!!!

16. 29 Me4obama
    March 20, 2011 at 10:00 pm

This is beyonds words to me. That last picture. They look like they are presence of God.

17. 30 Kelly
    March 20, 2011 at 10:03 pm

Well this is the 2nd time today I am at a lost for words. Other than when our President and family visited Ghana in 09, no other trip have touched my heart as much as this one to Rio. I have went from loling to boo hooing at each update all day. The 1st picture is stunning. Glad they went at night,though they don’t have the privacy I wish they could, the night setting is a bit more intimate and downright beautiful.

18. 32 louc1
    March 20, 2011 at 10:11 pm

Words escape me. I am overwhelmed by these beautiful photos! They make me soooooooo proud! I love them!!!!

19. 33 Sonjia Duncan
    March 20, 2011 at 10:17 pm

Thank you so much for bringing this goodness into my life’s experience at this troubling time. I look at these picture and read the comments and I know I am not alone in my love for my country, My First Family and my fellow commenter here on this blog and bwd.

20. 35 Me4obama
    March 20, 2011 at 10:19 pm

Goodnite my O family and thanks u chipsticks for making this weekend a memorable one for all us here at theobamadiary. We might have gone over board during the course of it all, about our admiration of PBO, ladies u know what am talking about, but we are going to bed tonite all saved by the Statue of Christ. We promise to behave for the next couple of days!!! Maybe? See u 2moro.

• March 20, 2011 at 10:20 pm

Goodnight you bold thing, love ya :lol:

• 37 majii
      March 20, 2011 at 10:44 pm

I get a kick out of reading comments about PBO from you and the other ladies, Me4obama. You all are just precious, and I know it’s all in good fun. Chipsticks, thank you, for this site, your generosity, and your patience in dealing with your crazy TOD Family. Much love to you and yours.

• March 20, 2011 at 10:55 pm

I LOVE this crazy TOD family …. although today I felt like a prude of an old granny, deleting one or two comments (you know who you are!) that were a touch too naughty even for a sewer-head like mine :lol:

Love you all!

21. 39 bjw2
    March 20, 2011 at 10:36 pm

Well I must say goodnight now. I havn’t commented much throughout these last two days but believe me I’ve been here enjoying the comments, the videos, the pictures and the experience of this whole trip.

Thanks Chipsticks for all you do!

22. March 20, 2011 at 10:48 pm

I am almost certain Pete Souza took these pictures; he is with the First Family, seemingly always. He has a way of capturing the exact moment, the right light and with no staging. ThanX Pete for taking these pictures and Sticks for bringing this magic moment of our President and his family beneath this statue to the Obamadiary family. I read the history of this statue on Wikipedia last night. I have this big old lump in my throat. This is simply beautiful of our First Family portrayed under the arms of Christ. The symbolism of His protection of them is mind boggling.

• March 20, 2011 at 10:54 pm

Hey Graciouslady, amazingly these aren’t Pete Souza photos – they’re so beautiful you would imagine they are. I got them mainly from Daylife and some Brazilian websites, and no photographers were credited. The lighting is just spectacular, what an astonishingly amazing place …. and family. I cannot wait to see Pete Souza’s photos from tonight, I would guess they will be utterly breathtaking.

• March 20, 2011 at 11:05 pm

Hmmm,Sticks, kinda unusual for these not to be Pete’s. I guess I have gotten used to him being there with great Pictures. I don’t think he can top these.

• March 20, 2011 at 11:08 pm

Oh he’s there Graciouslady, a couple of his photos have appeared, eg:

P031911PS-1234

P032011PS-0010

… it’s just the Christ the Redeemer pics tonight weren’t official White House (ie Pete) photos, they’re from various agencies. I agree, though, it’ll be hard to top them, they’re stunning.

23. March 20, 2011 at 11:20 pm

The pics are so beautiful. thank you.

24. 45 Sue in Minnesota
    March 20, 2011 at 11:28 pm

Beautiful photographs, but a part of me wishes that they could have kept these particular moments private. I’m projecting. I don’t know how they manage life in the fishbowl, especially when the girls are involved.

25. 46 WalkingOnSunshine
    March 20, 2011 at 11:29 pm

I’ve been very quiet but have read every post today. I have been entertained and inspired. Thanks :)

26. 47 Dakota
    March 21, 2011 at 1:10 am

Chipsticks-Have mentioned…You are AWESOME! Thank you so much for all you do. It is a joy to be part of this wonderful site. I’ve thoroughly enjoyed this “Trip to Brazil” with the Obama Family this weekend. Thank you again and may God Bless.

27. 48 Cathy
    March 21, 2011 at 7:13 am

I add my thanks to you Chipsticks for this weekend pictures and video. Thank you so much, we really appreciate all that you do.

28. 49 Abena
    March 21, 2011 at 8:24 am

What a moment! I wonder what thoughts and prayers went through their minds… I know I was moved to pray for them…
    Thank you … thank you Chipsticks… for the prompt uploads and variety … as always

29. 50 Titti
    March 21, 2011 at 8:49 am

I’ve got the silliest grin watching these pics. Just love em and the family.

30. 51 lexusv
    March 21, 2011 at 9:23 am

Beautiful pics, I got goose bumps when I first saw them. Seems almost theatrical by nature ;o)

31. 52 Andogriff
    March 21, 2011 at 10:00 am

Grinning here too, Titti and Ms Chips. Breathtaking backdrop, stunning First Family. Thanks for these gorgeous photos!

RSS OFA