Mar

friends in high places

From CNS News

Thank you Blackwaterdog for the link, you legend ;-)

President Barack Obama talks with Garth Brooks, who was presented with the “Grammy on the Hill Award” for his leadership in advancing the rights of music makers, in the Oval Office, April 14, 2010. (Official White House Photo by Pete Souza)

19 Responses to “friends in high places”

1. 1 Tulips
    March 24, 2011 at 1:51 pm

I always like him. i love his passion when singing

2. March 24, 2011 at 1:54 pm

So will this be all over AOL and Yahoo tomorrow morning when I go to open my e-mail?

• 3 Kelly
      March 24, 2011 at 2:26 pm

Make sure not to hold your breath waiting for that to happen. :D

March 24, 2011 at 7:25 pm

Will he be invited on GMA and be interviewed by George Stephanopoulos on his views on President Obama?

Garth Brooks – 1
      Matt Damon/Ben Affleck – 0

3. 5 CTGirl
    March 24, 2011 at 2:02 pm

I am a HUGE Garth Brooks fan!!! At the end of my second favorite movie, ‘Frequency’ with Dennis Quaid, there is a Garth Brooks song that I love, ‘When You Come Back Again.’ It’s not on a CD, only on this movie and I just adore it!! So I am happy he is a fan of my #1 president 

4. 6 AnitaW
    March 24, 2011 at 2:08 pm

Love this clip from Garth. And he is spot on in his assessment.

5. 7 anniebella
    March 24, 2011 at 2:14 pm

I always thought he was a guy of great talent, now I know he is intelligent too.

6. 8 Fred
    March 24, 2011 at 2:16 pm

huge huge Garth Brooks fans here :D

I like that he is standing by the President

GOD bless YOU Garth Brooks as well as your family

7. 9 Kelly
    March 24, 2011 at 2:28 pm

Very nice, a smart man showing love for another smart man. Anyone that stands with our President automatically gets my love.

8. 10 Debz
    March 24, 2011 at 3:09 pm

I’m so happy to see this video. Always been a fan of Garth Brooks and I am thrilled to hear him speak out for our President.

9. 11 V C prezOfan2
    March 24, 2011 at 4:05 pm

A really, really important point he made, IMO, was that ‘my guy gets in, you drag your feet for four years, your guy etc. etc. We’ve got to stop doing that’. That is the crux of the matter that hit me over the head after President Obama won. Actually, the epiphany came to me in his acceptance speech when he said that he was the president for the entire country. America, politicians and voters alike, needs to stop campaigning in between elections and the winners AND LOSERS need to govern TOGETHER. That’s how to show respect for the voters’ democratic choices! For me the losers role should be that of providing criticisms that are meant to fine-tune policies, laws or whatever – to hold the winners accountable for meaningful governing, to point out where whatever they are doing is not in the COUNTRY’s/STATE’s best interest, and WHEN SOMETHING IS IN THE COUNTRY’s BEST INTEREST TO SUPPORT IT. Then, comes the next election, both sides could campaign on what they have managed to accomplish – for the opposition that accomplishment might then be the ways they were able to fine-tune policies/laws that the winners had overlooked.

Mr. Brooks is so correct. We’ve got to stop the non-stop fighting against each other for the country to make meaningful progress. I wouldn’t be surprised if that is part of the reason the President chose not to ‘go after’ the previous administration as so many democrats wanted. The way things are now each side is always fighting to hold the other back, and no-one is noticing that this is not ‘progressive’ behaviour. This is what I believe the President sees and wants to change, but so many, from both the left and the right, are not there yet. President Obama has repeatedly said no one side has all the answers – a statement that holds such ‘common sense’ truth I fail to see why it’s not readily acknowledged. IMO, until the Right and many on the Left, as well as those in between, are willing to admit no one political party has all the answers by ending the year-long competitions, progress in America will continue to be restricted (or rolled back) and the country won’t progress as far along the road as it should in between each four year ‘leadership’ change. Pathetic! I can’t wait for the time when enough Americans come to this realization and ‘be[come] the change’ that’s needed [i.e. force the leaders to accept that they need to GOVERN in the best interest of the people when they are elected, not play games which hold the country back]. The President is making progress in changing the way America does governing. Will enough voters wake up in time to help ensure the longevity of his efforts? I hope so. I sincerely hope so.

10. 12 Sue in Minnesota
    March 24, 2011 at 4:08 pm

I can’t claim to be a fan, just not drawn to Country Music…but I do appreciate his candor, and his open support for our President.
    And the acknowledgement of what a HARD/DEMANDING job being President is. Damn Straight!

11. March 24, 2011 at 4:36 pm

Garth Brooks is sexy CW singer who can fill/-up a pair of Levis 501s very well. This sort disappoints me in a way discovering that he is intelligent guess that ruins my other fantasies. I like them big, dumb and stupid. Oh well it is good to know that he is intelligent and on our team:)

12. 15 WalkingOnSunshine
    March 24, 2011 at 9:04 pm

I’m so impressed with Garth Brooks. He’s making complete sense. I feel like things are really getting better.

13. 16 lookingglassjourney
    March 24, 2011 at 11:05 pm

Points of light, you say? Now, I’m not going to go into a rant on this, but let’s just say that I think we are all points of light, and I wish to turn that light on in those who have their bulbs turned off.

But thank you Garth for stating something with actual substance, instead of our nihilistic media.

14. 17 Asher in Boston
    March 24, 2011 at 11:52 pm

Thought all the “celebraties had turned on PBO, all are diasappointed in him!!!!! Good of you Brooks.

15. 18 Suzette
    March 25, 2011 at 8:06 am

I think this video should be posted all over the Internet and replayed on all the television stations as a public annoucement. Truer words you will not hear from some, but they are so true. Well said Garth, well said.

16. 19 CrissieP
    March 28, 2011 at 12:41 am

If he’s already made it to the Country Music Hall of Fame, they’ll probably kick him out now.