Mar

so, hp only learnt today that breitbart is a bigot. seriously.

Greg Sargent (Washington Post): After standing by Andrew Breitbart yesterday, the Huffington Post has made the decision to yank him from their highly-trafficked front page, in the wake of some vicious comments Breitbart has since made about former White House adviser Van Jones, a HuffPo spokesman confirms to me.

HuffPo had come under increasing criticism for giving Breitbart a major platform from groups like Color of Change, which argued that he has a history of racially-charged and factually-challenged political activism that has no place on a reputable news and opinion site. While Breitbart will still be allowed to post at HuffPo, the decision to yank him from the front page and downgrade his visibility effectively gives the critics what they’d asked for.

Last night, HuffPo was still sticking by Breitbart, arguing that the site was committed to airing a range of voices and maintaining that Breitbart’s posts on HuffPo had remained civil. But this morning, the Daily Caller published an interview with Breitbart in which he railed at Van Jones as a “commie punk” and a “cop killer-supporting, racist, demagogic freak.” This put HuffPo in a particularly awkward spot, and now HuffPo has had enough.

More here

41 Responses to “so, hp only learnt today that breitbart is a bigot. seriously.”

1. 1 Tulips
    March 24, 2011 at 4:41 pm

chipstick thanks to your link about the petition we did it again. girl mark yourself for 2 in a row. LOL!

2. 2 UT Austin Liberal
    March 24, 2011 at 4:44 pm

oh the irony for HuffPo. Arianna sold her soul for big business (AOL) and allowed that nicompoop Breitbart and some others into the HuffPo domain. As they say when you lie with dogs, don’t be surprised when you are infected by fleas

• 3 dotster
      March 24, 2011 at 5:47 pm

Arianna sold her soul long before the AOL cash-in. From the beginning I could never figure out why anyone would believe that Huff Po was a liberal site, as advertised. Most of the misleading and over-hyped headlines were anti-Obama and anti-Dem. Spotting any positive there was like a rare bird sighting. And almost all the postings there would never support the attention-grabbing headlines. I would see a disturbing headline and think “what in the world?” –Obama hates puppies!– or something very similar, and I’d read the story and come to find out, he doesn’t hate puppies at all, in fact, he really likes them! That was/is the whole modus operandi there. That site deserves no respect, especially if you like the truth.

• 4 UT Austin Liberal
        March 24, 2011 at 7:07 pm

I know!!! those headlines are SICK.. and not in a good way..haha
        they’re so sensationalists. sometimes I can’t separate huffpo from the enquirer

• 5 Theo67
        March 24, 2011 at 9:40 pm

It’s doubly sickening that President Obama tried to give them a chance at legitimacy by calling on them at his first press conference. Instead of rising to the occasion, they went downhill from there.

• 6 Asher in Boston
          March 25, 2011 at 12:01 am

I know, I know, Theo. This is how she repays back PBO for inviting them and him having to take all the noise from the right.

3. 7 majii
    March 24, 2011 at 4:46 pm

Heh heh heh. Breitbart cut his own throat! Love it!

4. 8 meta
    March 24, 2011 at 4:57 pm

Just a bunch of CREEPS, really. I hope AOL is happy with their little purchase.

5. 9 cuphalffull
    March 24, 2011 at 4:59 pm

My impressions of the Huffington Post have shifted. At first I really enjoyed it and that was the first place I dared to write a comment (I know, but I’m a shy person at heart). I began seeing Arianna Huffington being interviewed and participating in round tables on air and was glad she was being called upon for her opinion as I thought she was well spoken. Then I started seeing her as perhaps just another person who lacked humility and was promoting herself more than anything else. With the President’s election I was acutely aware of anything on the site that dealt with his policies or opinions. Gradually I came to the conclusion that there was never anything, ever, that shed a positive light on his accomplishments or decisions. I stood up for him in the comments and thought that might do some good. I also read and passed along other material but it seemed to become more and more like a tabloid. Finally came the announcement that the site was being sold to AOL and I figured my time there would be short lived once the inevitable transformation occurred. The final straw was the news about Breibart. It took me by surprise to hear that he was involved with the start up of Huffington Post and that he was going to be a featured writer. I signed the petition from Color of Change and haven’t been there since. It took a little time to get used to not checking there anymore but now I don’t even think about it. I guess I am a recovered Huffington Post user.

• 10 sherijr
      March 24, 2011 at 5:05 pm

Exellent cuphalffull- well done imo :)

• 11 V C prezOfan2
      March 24, 2011 at 6:08 pm

‘I guess I am a recovered Huffington Post user.’ :lol: :lol:

‘Welcome, Cuphalffull!’ ;)

• 12 Theo67
      March 24, 2011 at 9:45 pm

My name is “Theo” and I’m a recovered Huffington Post user, too. :)

I have a similar story to yours. in that I first learned about blogging right around the beginning of the general election, and wrote my first post on HP, too. I was so thrilled to have found a “liberal” site, and couldn’t figure out how DailyKos worked. I eventually found the screaming headlines, with no supporting content, to be highly dubious. After having numerous benign posts held in moderation, I finally wrote a nasty final post probably three months after the election to tell them that they were censoring . My blood pressure stabilized. :) I’ve not been back since.

• March 24, 2011 at 9:47 pm

“My name is “Theo” and I’m a recovered Huffington Post user, too”
        :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

• 14 V C prezOfan2
        March 24, 2011 at 11:07 pm

Tee hee hee! :lol: “Welcome, Theo!”

• 15 Claire
        March 25, 2011 at 10:36 pm

I too am a recovered HP user. I used to post there quite a bit, but that ended last year. The headlines are over hyped crap and the bashing of all things Dem or Pres. Obama was really tiresome. HP is nothing but an online rag. Every time Palin scratches her ass they write a ‘story.’ AriHuff is all about herself. She’s either pimping her poorly written books or bragging about her connection to CEOs and celebrities. It’s too bad that something that had potential turned into a wasteful pit of distortion and tabloid journalism.

6. 16 Anonymous
    March 24, 2011 at 5:02 pm

Once again, a business move by that woman — let’s not forget she is about to launch her AA “platform” to try to get at the president’s most solid base. Now, AA and true progressives are beginning to see her for what she is. We need to keep at exposing her and her site!!!

7. 18 sherijr
    March 24, 2011 at 5:02 pm

Well to this I can only say.. heh. Color me not impressed… lil miss Arianna and racist Breitbart have been connected since Huffs inception from all I’ve read.. which makes it clear to me that they pretty much share the same viewpoints – and I think we can be relatively certain that new owners AOL care about banking the $$$ and not much more. What is the most sickening aspect to all of this, is the idea that this Arianna person has now gained a voice within the black community with her new blog supposedly geared toward African Americans.. it is all so deceitful and disturbing, expecially when this nasty arsed bigot Breitbart is an obvious favorite of hers. I’m real sick of folks racism- and all the effing money they’re making off pushing it. My rant for the day- thank you Chips for the news.

March 24, 2011 at 6:42 pm

Well lets see what Mr. Tarvis Smiley has to say about that…

• 20 Betty's Girl
        March 24, 2011 at 7:53 pm

Me too! He already ran away from the Tom Joyner show because he bad mouth the President during the last election. Let him try it again and let’s see what it gets him!

8. 21 UT Austin Liberal
    March 24, 2011 at 5:04 pm

Hey Chipsticks this is totally unrelated to this post, but I watch the daily show with jon stewart and even though he’s been annoying me lately in his criticisms of President Obama and the actions taken in Libya, (Colbert has been better and funnier) on Monday March 21st or Tuesday March 22nd 2011 he (Jon Stewart) had a great segment where Lewis Black totally skewered Donald Trump a.k.a. Chump. it was fantastic. Donald Trump actually bankrupted his casino. Who bankrupts a CASINO!!!!!.. If you can get the video and post it.. I think the viewers of this site would love it

• March 24, 2011 at 6:03 pm

that was pretty funny.

• 23 dotster
      March 24, 2011 at 6:03 pm

Saw it—-funny—making fun of Trump—yuck–bragging about his business expertise—his casino went bankrupt! A casino! The house always wins!
      But Stewart has been more than annoying, spending an increasing amount of air time slamming Obama while ignoring the multitude of preposterous and damaging actions of the Repubs.
      I love Colbert. He and his writers are the best. I laughed so hard at his art auction experience this week— just hilarious—-and he ended up raising $26,000 for his charity which goes to aid schools in need.

• 24 UT Austin Liberal
        March 24, 2011 at 7:11 pm

I know!!! “the steven colbert raging art on” vlog was sooooooooo hilarious. and he said that jimmy fallon was going to match the donation to http://www.donorschoose.org with an extra $26,000. The kids that charity helps have got to be excited!!! :D

• 25 Theo67
        March 24, 2011 at 9:48 pm

I wrote off Stewart after that ridiculous sanity rally – the fact that he couldn’t even tell people to go out and vote turned the thing into an exercise in self-promotion. I like Colbert, though, but haven’t watched in months.

• 26 UT Austin Liberal
          March 25, 2011 at 6:54 pm

Oh Theo you should totally get back to watching Colbert. He and his writers have been spot on. And his interviews have been funny and insightful. He’s just brilliant :D

• 27 Claire
        March 25, 2011 at 10:46 pm

Loved the Colbert art gallery bit. Stephen has always been funnier than Stewart to me. Stewart’s attempts to skewered the President are so contrived and just not funny.

9. 29 Kelly
    March 24, 2011 at 5:13 pm

Call me when the whole racist Republicans dressed as progressives, HuffingtonpostAol Koch Brothers corporation gets shut down. *good job on the petition tho*

10. 30 Fred
    March 24, 2011 at 5:21 pm

good riddance to bad rubbish :D

11. 31 barb
    March 24, 2011 at 5:42 pm

I don’t know how long that petition was available but I did sign it yesterday and to see that he has been bumped from the front page shows me that we need to keep on it against any attack against our President whether it’s racial or for some other reason. Thanks Chips for posting it here or I would never of found it. One more for us. Yeh!!!!!!!!! :D

12. 32 slimsean
    March 24, 2011 at 5:44 pm

Actually, I’m happy AOL bought Huffingtoncompost…hopefully, it will have the same effect as with other AOL business decisions…you know; such as dial up and the time-warner merger.

13. March 24, 2011 at 5:51 pm

That is great news! I’m a big fan sup[porter of Van Jones and what he is trying to do with regarding Mother Earth!

• 34 Asher in Boston
      March 25, 2011 at 12:07 am

Me too, Hawk. I love Van Jones. And he too is kind on the eyes. LOL.

• 35 Dakota
        March 25, 2011 at 1:25 am

@Asher – That he is! I love him also. I fact, I selected him for my son-in-law…but I was too late. He was already spoken for! LOL!

14. 36 Sonjia Duncan
    March 24, 2011 at 5:55 pm

so, hp only learnt today that breitbart is a bigot. seriously. Please, if I knew how could they not know. They know the guy and he is not new. They all flock together to bring down this President and this country.

15. 37 anniebella
    March 24, 2011 at 6:02 pm

Arianna knew what kind of man this Andy Breitbart was, yet she wanted to hire him. Says what kind of woman good old Arianna is, doesn’t it?

March 24, 2011 at 6:40 pm

As I said, Karma is a beech. Let Arianna reap the rotten fruits of her dirty work.

17. 40 Fred
    March 24, 2011 at 9:09 pm

Yawn….HP……who cares. They are dead to me!

18. 41 Dakota
    March 25, 2011 at 1:33 am

Did Huffington really think people were going to be silent about this? We have to keep the pressure on. She disgust me as much as Breitbart. I hope he doesn’t have a pot or a window when Shirley Sherrod is done suing him!