Mar

muppet show update

Steve Benen: In case it seemed the freak-show qualities of the GOP field couldn’t get worse, also note that disgraced former Alabama Supreme Court Chief Justice Roy Moore, kicked off the bench for refusing to acknowledge federal law, is also interested in launching a presidential exploratory committee.

WSJ: Remember Judge Roy Moore? He was the Alabama Supreme Court chief justice removed from office over the Ten Commandments monument he erected outside the state courthouse. Now, he’s about to jump into the presidential election in Iowa…

Eight years after a state panel removed him from the bench over the commandments spat, and five years after he lost in the Republican primary in the Alabama governor’s race, the 64-year-old judge is preparing to launch a presidential exploratory committee and enter the Iowa fray, according to multiple Iowa GOP officials.

Judge Moore’s entry in Iowa will only intensify the feverish competition among GOP hopefuls for the state’s large bloc of evangelical voters … the pack this time is likely to include former Pennsylvania Sen. Rick Santorum, former Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty, Minnesota Rep. Michele Bachmann, Texas Rep. Ron Paul and former Godfather’s Pizza CEO Herman Cain. Judge Moore could bring the field to six…

34 Responses to “muppet show update”

1. 1 lisa
    March 28, 2011 at 1:29 pm

I’ve got nothing to say to that. I’m so bored with the GOP’s supposed candidates that the newest loser can’t even get an indignant rise out of me.

2. 2 Me4obama
    March 28, 2011 at 1:30 pm

This is really frightening. So unfair to the muppets. They make me smile unlike those clowns who are pretending to run for president.

3. 3 PoliticalJunkessa
    March 28, 2011 at 1:33 pm

Awwwww, I LOVE the Muppets — they don’t deserve to be associated with the revolving, devolving group of losers on the right, LOL.

Anyway…this guy probably needs some money, and non-serious campaigns are an easy way to fleece the sheep. Might as well throw his crazy hat in the ring.

4. 4 cuphalffull
    March 28, 2011 at 1:46 pm

I was just thinking maybe the full introduction that the Right Wing religious fundamentalists are getting in our country is a good thing. After all they have been behind the scenes for decades now voting for Republicans but not really allowing the full exposure of their attitudes and beliefs for the whole country to see. I don’t think most people want our country to go the way of the Taliban, are not stuck in the Middle Ages, and certainly understand the separation of church and state as a protection not a curse. I married into such a group and didn’t really understand the ramifications of their opinions until later. I just never really worried about people having such extreme views because I thought they would be happy living the life they preferred and leave the rest of us alone, like the Amish. I told other people about the way these folks thought but it was of no interest to anyone really because they didn’t know anyone like that. When I read about the Taliban I thought of how things would be if the folks I had come to know were able to assume political power and exert their extreme beliefs on others. Now much time has passed and my experiences with this type of fundamentalism is much more relevant to our national conversation. I hope we collectively reject this as extreme and unacceptable to us in our decision making and leadership. Maybe we had to look this in the face to understand its true nature and danger to our principles.

• 5 Lovepolitics2008
      March 28, 2011 at 5:37 pm

Thank you for your testimony. If allowed to power, these people are indeed dangerous. Have you ever heard of Frank Schaeffer, the reformed religious fundamentalist ? He went on the Rachel Maddow show a few times and he expressed his worries about those fundamentalists. He said we ignore them at our peril. His book “Crazy for God” is a MUST read.

5. 6 Kelly
    March 28, 2011 at 2:01 pm

Bwanahahahahahah. I love these Teapub “muppet” show updates. Its like they are the party of dumb fuks. The main prerequisite to the GOP party is that you must be devoid of brain cells. Unfortunate for America they have much Koch bros and the rest of corporate America monies and our disgraceful corporate MSM backing them. Sometime I don’t know if I should lol or cry. Well at least here I can lmao. thank you BWD

6. 7 anniebella
    March 28, 2011 at 2:02 pm

Me4Obama…..Agree with you 100%.

7. 8 Sonjia Duncan
    March 28, 2011 at 2:09 pm

These people are for real and they mean what they say. I have been going thru some church records from the 1600 in this country and these people want to return to those repressive and hateful time. Lord help you if you are born a woman.

8. 9 dotster
    March 28, 2011 at 2:22 pm

OMG! The Repub slate of candidates is a Real Freak Show! Who else will jump into that highly talented (preposterous beyond belief) pool of wannabes? I can’t even imagine. How low can they go?

9. March 28, 2011 at 2:43 pm

Hey everybody..!! :D

From my twitter timeline:

RT @shermanturner: Kenyan School inspired Author to learn walking & talking, hearing stories of President Obama hardships! http://dld.bz/J2eB

10. 11 Theo67
    March 28, 2011 at 2:49 pm

I wonder if their methodology in flooding the field with criminals and idiots is that they’re trying to sully the President by association. There’s that maxim that says “never argue with a fool; people won’t know the difference”. This could be an extension of that – if the entire field is full of idiots, will people who haven’t been paying attention just paint everyone with the same brush? I can’t imagine any other reason for the Republicans putting forward these loser candidates. Or else, they just want to force people to vote for the only “reasonable” candidate in the bunch, who they will unveil when all Republicans have given up hope in their candidates. It doesn’t make sense what they’re doing.

• 12 majii
      March 28, 2011 at 3:40 pm

I think the problem is that the GOP has allowed itself to be highjacked. It put itself up for sale and sold out to the highest bidder. I watched this unfold, and it began in earnest around the time when Reagan became president. Nixon was a scoundrel, but there was no way he would have tolerated the antics of the fringe members of the party the way that McConnell and Boehner are doing. It could have had something to do with his having been a Quaker. There is no leader currently actively involved in the party, or outside of it, who has enough clout to set the party back on the right track. GWB, Cheney, Rove, Rice, Rumsfeld—they’re all pretty much as corrupt and as self-centered as they come, and aren’t really interested in “saving” the party unless they can make money doing it. Any “values” they every had, they sold to corporatists long ago, and for the sake of winning, they’ve courted the far religious right zealots and the tea partiers the past 2 years. Their focus is not on governing or values. Their real interest is POWER, and they don’t care what they have to do to get it. No, it doesn’t make sense what is happening in the GOP, but there’s no one who can stop it. All of the 2012 GOP candidates are what one could call “independent operators” who don’t really care what any of the higher ups in GOP leadership have to say. Boehner, Cantor, Kyle, and McConnell know this. Jim DeMint threw his 2 cents in today by saying that the party needs a GOP governor as a presidential candidate–someone who stands strong and won’t compromise. This isn’t governance by democracy. This is authoritarianism and a step toward fascism.

• 13 majii
        March 28, 2011 at 3:41 pm

**ever**

• 14 Lovepolitics2008
        March 28, 2011 at 6:08 pm

I totally agree. However, I don’t underestimate the capacity of the GOP establishment to regain control of the tea-partiers. Easy with their propaganda machine. Watch them destroy Palin now that she has served her purpose. I can’t help but feeling concerned the GOP will find their “acceptable” candidate who will look moderate in comparison of the radicals. A Huntsman for example. Or a governor. And you can bet the media will push this “moderate” like CRAZY.

Don’t underestimate the corporatists. In a sane country with a well functionning media, President Obama would have approval ratings in the 60s at least and would sail to reelection. But the White House thinks 2012 won’t be that easy and I’m afraid they’re right.

11. 15 Jessica
    March 28, 2011 at 3:40 pm

All I see is a bunch of damn crazy. They make McCain look sane. If Obama doesn’t win in a complete landslide (even bigger than the first time) I’m sensing some sort of brain drain in the future.

12. March 28, 2011 at 4:03 pm

I can’t understand why our President isn’t more popular amongst all parties now, give the craziness we have seen. I certainly does not make sense to me and hasn’t since his election.

13. 18 Fred
    March 28, 2011 at 4:04 pm

Trump was given time on Inside Edition and when that idiot handed him the actual birth certificate;eh had the audacity to say that it wasn’t a real birth certificate and that it wasn’t signed and went at Whoopy :o :mad:

• 19 Fred
      March 28, 2011 at 4:06 pm

sorry too mad to write properly :mad

• 20 Jessica
      March 28, 2011 at 4:20 pm

I had know idea Trump was this damn crazy. That birther shit is over 2 years old, why is he bringing it back up? A lot of people have been showing their true colors these past 3 1/2 years.

After Obama steps out of office January 20 2017 who knows how many people I would have lost trust in.

• 21 Fred
        March 28, 2011 at 4:39 pm

he apparently went on FAUX and said that there are no doctors and nurses that can vouch for President Obama and that he didn’t believe Governor Abercrombie;can you believe this shit Jessica? :o I didn’t know that the gyco who delivered me was a friend of my pops and just a few years ago found out that he was drunk as hell that day :o :o :lol:

I don’t know if these folks are alive and I never met those nurses either so Trump can bite me :mad:

• 22 Jessica
          March 28, 2011 at 5:03 pm

Really, he wants medically professionals who help deliver hundreds of babies to come forward and say they were there when he was born. LOL.

• 23 Fred
            March 28, 2011 at 5:31 pm

I tell ya what.Even if Trump were to stand right next to the late Mrs Stanley Ann Dunham when she was pushing Barack out and cut the umbilical cord his damn self that bitch(Trump) would still say there is something that “Barack doesn’t like about the birth certificate” :roll:

I really want to apologize to Chip;you Jessica and each and everyone for my salty language;this “birther” thing is really getting under my skin

• 24 Jessica
              March 28, 2011 at 6:46 pm

It’s getting on nerves too. It’s gone on long enough and the racism exploding from the whole subject is nauseating.

• 25 Dorothy Rissman
                March 28, 2011 at 7:13 pm

Just when you think it is over, some piece of trash has to start it all over again. The the repug primaries coming up, there will be a number to want to get on that band wagon. Who Is Barack Obama?

• 26 Sue in Minnesota
      March 28, 2011 at 9:03 pm

This shit just needs to stop. No MSM outlet needs to go there with him, it’s not credible, and when they do, they become complicite in the blatant manipulation and lies aimed at the public. It’s racist and contrived controversy

I am wondering if the GOP is attempting to completely destroy the public’s perception of government. The ass clowns that they give platform to certainly do nothing to instill the necessary trust and good faith of the public. I beginning to think this is was one of their tactics.

14. 27 Hachikō
    March 28, 2011 at 4:56 pm

I love the muppets. These guys, on the other hand, give me the creeps. More like the “2012 GOP rat race.”

15. 29 zizi
    March 28, 2011 at 5:34 pm

These crazeniks are auditioning for Faux to replace those who have left. The crazy is where it’s at. And of course the $$$.

16. 30 barb
    March 28, 2011 at 6:23 pm

I honestly do not know anyone who likes Trump. I can’t believe how any of these half wits can believe they are electable and I absolutely can’t imagine a debate among them. They need to be exposed for what they are. The louder and more public they spout the better for us. That’s why PBO is going on Univision. We need the Hispanic vote.

17. 31 Dorothy Rissman
    March 28, 2011 at 7:17 pm

Chipsticks are you getting any rest? We would hate for your to have a breakdown due to political overload.

18. 33 Carolyn
    March 28, 2011 at 7:18 pm

As maji said, this started with Reagan. He played to the religious right, pretending to be super religious. Those of us from California knew that he was not, but these super religious people seem anxious to be fooled.
    A good piece of news I saw this weekend is that according to new polling, the longer these people are out in the open, the lower their approval ratings go. Every time I watch these guys hiding in the shadows, then being forced out, I think of the Supreme Court Justice who said “sunlight is the best antiseptic.” Didn’t many people think Sarah Palin was impregnable, just a year ago? The longer she’s around, the lower her ratings get. As more and more Republican wannabes crawl out of the woodwork, I think it attests to the perceived weakness of the semi-declared candidates, and they figure, I might as well get a piece of the action. Yes, POWER is their desire; not good governance of care for the people.

19. 34 WalkingOnSunshine
    March 28, 2011 at 9:11 pm

They’re just throwing all their garbage candidates into the ring because they know they can’t beat President Obama. They won’t have any serious contenders until 2016. At the rate they’re going with the freak show though, they may never be able to get a serious candidate elected again.

RSS OFA