Mar

town hall

President Barack Obama with Univision news anchor Jorge Ramos, during a town hall with students, parents and teachers at Bell Multicultural High School, in the Columbia Heights neighborhood of Washington, March 28

Bloomberg: President Barack Obama said bolstering the education system is as crucial to the U.S. as keeping defense strong, saying “we won’t be able to project military strength or any other kind of strength” without an educated population.

“Over the last 10 years the defense budget was going up much more quickly than our education budget,” Obama said at a discussion with about 600 students, parents and teachers in Washington. “We are only going to be as strong as we are here at home.”

The president was speaking at a town hall-style event that is part of an administration campaign to make the case that improving the education system is vital to the nation’s future….

The question-and-answer session is scheduled for broadcast at 7 p.m. Washington time on Univision…

Asked to preview his speech on Libya, the president repeated his message that U.S. involvement in Libya “is going to be limited both in time and in scope.”

…Obama said he’s proposed putting more money in his fiscal 2012 budget proposal for early childhood education even as other federal programs are being frozen or cut.

…he said he still believes the Dream Act can be passed …. “We’ve got to keep the pressure up on Congress,” he said, urging Hispanics to contact members of Congress to contact their lawmakers to help get it passed. He said the immigration system is “broken right now” and he said there has to be “pathway to citizenship” to immigrants to the U.S. even while borders are being secured.

The president has called on Congress to overhaul the country’s signature education law, known as No Child Left Behind, before the start of the next school year. Duncan said the law is too punitive and it needs to be more flexible and reward success.

In response to an audience question the President said he has an iPad and a BlackBerry, but he took off the latter before the start of the program

“I didn’t want it going off during the show.”

Asked if he owns a personal computer, Obama replied, “I’m the president of the United States, you think I don’t have a computer?” to laughter.

47 Responses to “town hall”

1. 1 Me4obama
    March 28, 2011 at 11:57 am

Lord have mercy on my poor soul. I better shut up before I get in any trouble here. Thanks chipsticks for sharing this. Sigh.

2. March 28, 2011 at 11:58 am

I don’t mean to be shallow but isn’t he just beautiful! :)

3. 7 majii
    March 28, 2011 at 12:11 pm

Ladies, control yourselves!!!! I’m on patrol here to make sure that you stay in line!!!

LOL. Just teasing, and I DO enjoy your subtle references to the beauty of PBO’s physical traits. See, I can be subtle, too!!

4. 11 Professorx10
    March 28, 2011 at 12:20 pm

Yaw got me stuck. I still have the other image of his trip burned into my memory. lol

5. 12 Jessica
    March 28, 2011 at 12:26 pm

Awww he looks so cute in that 2nd picture.

6. 13 ari
    March 28, 2011 at 12:36 pm

Does anyone happen to know what was said?

7. 14 professorx10
    March 28, 2011 at 12:52 pm

They are suppose to air it tonight at 7pm est on univision.
    here is the link http://vidayfamilia.univision.com/es-el-momento/
    it will be aired in English and Spanish

• 15 Theo67
      March 28, 2011 at 3:25 pm

I’m hoping to watch this online. Is there a link to the English language version? I couldn’t find it on your link.

8. 16 meta
    March 28, 2011 at 12:53 pm

Yikes, how super-handsome is that man?

So far I’ve only seen a couple of quotes from the event:

Asked if he has PC, President Obama said, “I’m the president of the united states, you think I don’t have a computer?” He also said he has an iPad.

The President also mentioned that one of his commencement speeches this spring will be at Miami Dade College – citing its large Hispanic student body.

9. 20 CTGirl
    March 28, 2011 at 12:56 pm

Our president would be great in a dental ad … man look at that million dollar smile!

10. 21 anniebella
    March 28, 2011 at 1:06 pm

I remember what Michelle ( his wife)said when she first met him in person, the first thing she notice was he was alot cutier than his photos. I love to hear the story when they first met, their first date. Then I remember when Michelle were speaking at the 2008 Democratic Convention and she talked about when they brought Malia home from the hospital, how Barack was driving real, real,real slow. It was a cute little story and it spoke about what his family meant, mean to him. ari, I would like to know what was said also.

11. 22 EDP4BHO
    March 28, 2011 at 1:08 pm

No Velma this time? Thank God. My president does look mighty fine. I wonder if he knows how he effects us ladies still. I am especially drawn to that second pic because of his deep eyes, like they can read your soul. Honey chile, what a man!

12. 26 mtmarilyn
    March 28, 2011 at 1:19 pm

I have been a lurker but I do have to comment on this. I agree that we have the most handsome Preident! His smile is worth a million. I love looking at all the pictures. Can’t wait to watch the Townhall and his speech tonight

13. 27 Proud of Obama
    March 28, 2011 at 1:36 pm

Since we’re on the subject of how our President looks, I found a cute story that examines his style and how he’s changed his suits to a more modern, sleeker European (oh, horrors! more proof that he hates America!)look. I detest Politico but I found the story and, of course the photos, interesting.

Some snippets:

For the most part, the president has shed his traditional center-cut suit coats in favor of jackets sporting two side vents, a sleeker look that originated on London’s Savile Row to cater to the riding set.

Obama hasn’t joined that crowd, so far as we know, but he has been photographed multiple times since the start of the year cutting a sharper figure in the more tailored attire.

//snip
    “Side vents feel much more modern, but still keeping in good taste in classic men’s styling,” leading menswear designer Joseph Abboud told POLITICO. Abboud is president and chief creative officer of HMX LLC’s portfolio, which features Hart Schaffner Marx as its flagship brand. Obama is a longtime fan of the Chicago-area clothier; he wore HSM suits when he accepted the Democratic nomination in August 2008 and for his inauguration five months later.

Abboud applauds the president’s switch to the in-vogue double-vented style. “He’s tall and lean, and he looks better in side vents,” Abboud said. The suits have “a bit of dash to them,” he added, but it’s just a pinch – “a subtle change men can do without going to extremes.”

Matt Landsberg, founder of Eric Finn Custom Clothiers in Washington, D.C., said that while the center vent is a “traditional American style” and side vents are “historically more European,” Obama is wearing the right cut for his 6-foot-1, roughly 175-pound frame.

“He’s maximizing his look and wearing what looks best,” Landsberg said, adding that the side vent “steers him away from the stodgy look that many politicians have … a boxy, older style.”

“It says that he’s in touch with what the majority of people are choosing right now,” Landsberg added. “And he’s aware that it is the style. Whoever is consulting him is selecting the right thing for him.”

Comment from me: Have you ever remember anyone worrying about and examining the suits Bush or any other president wore? As always our President has style, style, style.

• 28 Proud of Obama
      March 28, 2011 at 1:56 pm

Yikes, that comment should have been “Can you ever remember…”

Sorry.

• 31 meta
      March 28, 2011 at 5:49 pm

He looks terrific. He is tall and in person he is very, very thin and very, very magnetic. And you can’t spend more than just a few minutes in the same room with him and not know he is absolutely and totally brilliant. I thank our lucky stars every single day.

• 32 collegekay
        March 28, 2011 at 5:58 pm

I agree with your observation. I’ve seen him about 3 times in person and he looks skinnier and taller. He’s very intelligent and charming. I don’t understand how some people don’t like him.

• 33 Hachikō
          March 29, 2011 at 7:44 am

But that’s exactly why they don’t like him: he’s so much better than they, or anyone they put up against him, will ever be,

14. 34 collegekay
    March 28, 2011 at 1:38 pm

Goodness. What a beautiful man. Or, in espanol, Ay Dios Mio, el presidente de los Estados Unidos es muy guapo! :D

15. 36 Sonjia Duncan
    March 28, 2011 at 1:41 pm

When I look at President Obama, I remind myself that he is our president and my two sons are around his age.
    Even so he is really a good looking man and I love his smile.

16. 37 CEB
    March 28, 2011 at 2:25 pm

Can’t wait to see the complete video of this event. Especially interested in NCLB. In my state, Fl. and in my particular city, the punitive nature of this bill is leading to the closing of 4 schools even though no one locally wants this to happen (and there is no place for the displaced kids to go that will not lead to overcrowding; which we have a law against that the Repubs. in the Dept. of Ed. and the governors have worked to over turn from its inception).

As to the fine-ness of our leader, I always notice his beautiful hands (and that is all i will say).

• 38 Sue in Minnesota
      March 28, 2011 at 3:01 pm

CEB…I have an obsession with his strong, graceful hands as well…not to disect his body parts, but they always draw my attention.
      I also love his wedding ring, despite his “fineness”, his ring resonates, and reminds me of the remarkable relationship he and Michelle nurture and sustain.

• 39 Hachikō
        March 29, 2011 at 7:46 am

Me too. Always drawn to his hands. I even love the way he holds a microphone. His wife’s are beautiful!

• 40 Jessica
      March 28, 2011 at 3:12 pm

How is this even possible with the new class size mandates (18 22, 25). I guess this is a case of federal law overriding on state laws that are supposed to be helping children but doing more damage than good?

What county do you live in? I live in Broward (south Florida) and haven’t heard of any school closings in my area.

17. 41 Shirley
    March 28, 2011 at 3:53 pm

Yeah, the Man Is good looking, He’s got It going on and onnnnnn. Inside and out, Personality plus, Friendly, and Brilliant as well. Easy on the Eyes, Handsome :-) You go President Obama, with your bad self Lol

18. 42 Ceb
    March 28, 2011 at 4:16 pm

Jessica,
    I live in Jacksonville, where 3 high schools and one elementary are up to be closed by the state, if we cannot prevail on the local side. One proposal has already been shot down by the state. You know that Jeb Bush tried several times when he was Gov. to over turn the class size amendment. Even though he is no longer Gov.he and others are still trying to make this happen. Scott and others really want to privatize education in our state and the way that schools are currently graded is a tool in making this happen. Public education has been under siege for quite some time. The real stake-holders, parents and educators’ views are ignored. There was a rallynin the stae capitol thisnpast Thursday. Our supt. of schools joined the protectors.

NCLB and funding need to be reformed.

19. 44 Ceb
    March 28, 2011 at 4:19 pm

Ugh, sorry about the typos!

The IPad is fun, but not as easy to use as Microsoft word on my pc.

20. 45 barb
    March 28, 2011 at 5:29 pm

Univision has a huge following among Spanish and non-Spanish speaking viewers. They have a stong community focus so people can know what is important in their area. They rate very high in viewers of news programs. They were also the first station to broadcast the disaster in Japan according to an English speaker in the commentent section who was flipping through all the stations to find information. He said he didn’t know what they were saying but at least they could get an idea from the TV screen.
    “Local Public Service Programs”
    “Univision and TeleFutura stations air local public service programming and announcements covering topics of local and regional interest that are of importance to the Hispanic community. Programs such as “Voz y Voto” (Voice and Vote), reporting on political issues relevant to Hispanics in California and Texas and airing in cities throughout those states, or Miami’s “Ahora en Nuestra Comunidad” (Now in our Community) and New York’s “Noticias 41: En Tu Comunidad” (News 41: In Your Community) have helped the stations forge strong ties to the community.

Univision Finished as the #4 Broadcast Network in Primetime
    among all Adults 18-49, Out-Delivering NBC
    Univision Broadcast Prime Highlights – Week of March 14, 2011 to March 20, 2011″

They had a blackout of the station with the message sent for the population to participate in the census and what the benefits would be. They rate 15% of the population now and will go up to 30% in the future.
    It will be interesting to see the numbers after President Obama’s Town Hall.

21. 46 collegekay
    March 28, 2011 at 5:38 pm

My school does carry Univision :(

HERE’s the link for the live stream http://vidayfamilia.univision.com/es-el-momento/
    It has an option to view in English or in Spanish

RSS OFA