Mar

‘looking for luck in libya’

Thomas Friedman (NYT): There is an old saying in the Middle East that a camel is a horse that was designed by a committee. That thought came to my mind as I listened to President Obama trying to explain the intervention of America and its allies in Libya – and I don’t say that as criticism. I say it with empathy. This is really hard stuff, and it’s just the beginning.

When an entire region that has been living outside the biggest global trends of free politics and free markets for half a century suddenly, from the bottom up, decides to join history .. well, folks, you’re going to end up with some very strange-looking policy animals. And Libya is just the first of many hard choices we’re going to face in the ‘new’ Middle East.

….The truth is that it’s a dangerous, violent, hope-filled and potentially hugely positive or explosive mess – fraught with moral and political ambiguities…

Unlike all of us in the armchairs, the president had to choose, and I found the way he spelled out his core argument on Monday sincere: “Some nations may be able to turn a blind eye to atrocities in other countries. The United States of America is different. And, as president, I refused to wait for the images of slaughter and mass graves before taking action.”

I am glad we have a president who sees America that way. That argument cannot just be shrugged off, especially when confronting a dictator like Col. Qaddafi…

… most of all, I hope President Obama is lucky. I hope Qaddafi’s regime collapses like a sand castle, that the Libyan opposition turns out to be decent and united and that they require just a bare minimum of international help to get on their feet. Then U.S. prestige will be enhanced and this humanitarian mission will have both saved lives and helped to lock another Arab state into the democratic camp.

Dear Lord, please make President Obama lucky.

Full article here – Thank you for the link Dorothy

18 Responses to “‘looking for luck in libya’”

1. 1 CTGirl
    March 30, 2011 at 1:03 pm

“That’s why I am proud of my president, really worried about him, and just praying that he’s lucky.” I am right there with him!

2. 10 Fred
    March 30, 2011 at 1:12 pm

Well, these guys gotta produce their one column a day or week or whatever. However, it’s still FAR too early to draw any opinions, criticisms, or conclusions. Of course that does not stop those with a deadline or agenda from trying!

3. 11 ari
    March 30, 2011 at 1:21 pm

I think we already have luck. We have a President who is intelligent and thinks about things before he acts.

4. 12 Hachikō
    March 30, 2011 at 2:01 pm

It was hard for him. You could see it on his face. It was the same when he gave the Afghanistan speech @ West Point. He’s inherently a peaceful man, so continuing or starting wars is antithetical to who he is.

5. 13 cat48
    March 30, 2011 at 2:24 pm

Yesterday, Booman compared the president to Brer Rabbit; “he was born and bred in a Briar patch.” I think that’s about right. He keeps getting thrown back into the Briar patch by circumstances around the World, and he keeps escaping and surviving in spite of it with the use of shrewdness and intelligence. (Booman is getting in touch with his inner child again I guess since he & Cabin Girl had a new baby last year.)

• 14 Dorothy Rissman
      March 30, 2011 at 2:32 pm

Cat, I read that and thought it was a perfect analogy.

• 15 V C prezOfan2
        March 30, 2011 at 9:55 pm

Actually I read it and was first surprised that Booman mentioned Brer Rabbit, then was even more so when the story he shared revealed that he knew MY Brer Rabbit!

6. 16 barb
    March 30, 2011 at 6:06 pm

Beautiful picture so filled with humility and strength. Excellent article. It is very few times you read a columnist that mentions God and prayer. Who is Booman?

7. 18 louc1
    March 30, 2011 at 6:11 pm

I don’t believe our President needs luck – God’s hand of favor is on him and has been from the beginning”. The Lord chose him “for such a time as this”. I pray for him daily as do many and as I know those who are laying hands on him in these photos do. “The prayers of the righteous people are powerful and effective – the Lord hears them”.