Apr

‘then shut it down’

Ezra Klein

Life imitating art imitating life …. Boehner, Ryan & Co upped their demands too, for fear there’d be an agreement.

31 Responses to “‘then shut it down’”

1. 1 tally
    April 7, 2011 at 2:47 pm

This is what I keep hoping for….. however…. People need to feel fresh pain from what the Bush Tax cuts for the überwealthy have wrought. They need to feel the pain the GOP has caused the country forcing Obama to extend them, and the GOP holding Obama and the American people HOSTAGE over MONEY for people who already have more money than they can spend in ten lifetimes.

They need to feel that pain on the way to the polls in November 2012.

Obama has played this like a Maestro.

• 2 Hachikō
      April 7, 2011 at 4:15 pm

I agree with you, Tally. Problem is, too many voters are ignorant (willfully or unintentionally) about who’s causing their pain, and they might just vote against the guy in the WH just cuz he’s the one there.

• 3 Theo67
        April 7, 2011 at 4:21 pm

Then they’ll learn the hard way. The phones of Congress should be lighting up, people should be on the streets screaming about what these Republicans are doing. They’re holding Americans hostage so they can cater to the crazies among them, jeopardizing the recovery from the economic disaster THEY caused! And, the only sound that can be heard is their crazy throngs shouting “shut it down”. It’s a crying shame, and some people will only realize their own power when they’ve lost everything. That’s just the sad fact, and we can see it clearly in what happened in Wisconsin. I don’t know why it has to come to this.

• 4 tally
          April 7, 2011 at 4:29 pm

Agreed. And if we are that collectively stupid as a society, we deserve what we get.

And I’ll need to marry some hot man from Canada ASAP.

Anyone want to play Dolly Levi for me? :D

• 5 MoObama
      April 8, 2011 at 7:56 am

I understand your position; however, I will be the one to feel the pain. It’s a shame the intelligent must suffer with the ignorant. Last night I saw fatigued and frustration on the president’s face. His heart is pained by the possibility that millions will be out of work…I will be out of work. Nevertheless, the GOP and media are looking for ways to blame him for the mess on the horizon. How pathetic.

2. 6 Suzanne
    April 7, 2011 at 4:06 pm

I feel like I am watching a train wreck in slow motion. What are they thinking?!??

Call and support your Democratic representatives if you are lucky enough to have them. But especially call if they are Republicans and let them know the blame and cost for this is totally in their laps. My rep is teabagger “Taliban” Dan Burton (IN-05). I have called his office about this before, but did again this afternoon and gave the message that I don’t agree with the GOP budget at all, but if the President and the Democrats want to work with them then I support the President. I said that the shut down is totally the GOP responsibility and they need to stop playing around with the people of this country and start working to resolve problems.

You know, I was thinking this morning that every CEO and big businessman in the country, whether they are Republicans or Democrats, should be donating to President Obama’s campaign. He helped the middle and lower income people and they began buying goods and services again. People were more optimistic and the stock market rose. He has encouraged new industries and small businesses. The economy is prospering in so many ways because of his presidency. They need to see that it is a win-win situation. We don’t want no stinking trickle!!!!! There is plenty of money, vast amounts of money, and it wants to flow freely — what is good for middle and lower income people is good for the rich, too.

Hooah!

3. April 7, 2011 at 4:08 pm

The last time that life imitated art in a big way was when:

The movie “The China Syndrome” was released 12 days before the Three Mile Island “incident”.

Physicists (Edward Keller on top) were furious about the “inaccurate way the nuclear energy
    industry was pictured”.

Guess what ?

Two weeks ago I was at the yearly reunion my professor organizes every Spring. Physicists younger
    and older than me come together to discuss the “State of the World” from a physicists point
    of view.

So, not surprising, the nuclear disaster in Japan came to be a center of debate.

Hah – it turned out not one of these physicists knew that one of the problems of reactors
    based on nuclear fission is that you cannot “just turn them off” – even after the control rods
    have moved in completely and stopped the primary “criticallity” that keeps the reactor giving
    off 3 GW of heath to produce 1 GW of electricity, the “rest products” of radioactive material
    produced during normal operations will keep giving off heath on the order of 20 % of full
    operating capacity.

That’s the reason you have to keep cooling those reactors even if they have been “shut down”
    due to an earth-quake.

I was a graduate physics student during 1979 – I thought all physicists *knew* this.

Sigh, so much for science grades …

4. 8 anniebella
    April 7, 2011 at 4:43 pm

I want President Obama to look that orange cry baby in the face and tell him that we have gone far enough, there will be no more giving on the Democrats side. The Republicans are trying to put a hamper on the improving economy, hoping that it would be in terrible shape next year and the President would pay for it. But I’m hopng the voters will be smarter and not fall for the Republican-Tea Party B.S.

5. 9 Me4obama
    April 7, 2011 at 4:45 pm

Does anyone know when the west wing live chat is going to be on?

• 10 Ladyhawke
      April 7, 2011 at 5:01 pm

It’s been rescheduled for Thursday, April 14th at 5:00 p.m.

The White House Blog

Open for Questions: Celebrating the One Year Anniversary of West Wing Week
      Posted by Arun Chaudhary on April 05, 2011 at 01:02 PM EDT
      Update: This Open for Questions event has been rescheduled for Thursday, April 14th at 5:00 PM EDT.

• 11 Dorothy Rissman
        April 7, 2011 at 5:20 pm

Ladyhawke, I would like to ask everyone on this site to take a minute and sign the petition below. Yesterday 17 dirty Dem senators voted against the EPA and the president. It was not the blue dogs, it was Sherrod Brown, Clarie McCaskill, Carl Levin, etc. Now I like a lot of these people, but that does not mean they shouldn’t be called out for abandoning the president and the EPA’s work on lowering carbon emissions. It seems to me they just want to make sure they get reelected. Baloney. They are listening to the right wing fringe.

Let’s make sure those dems understand that we expect them to back the president.

• 12 tally
          April 7, 2011 at 5:22 pm

Yes. Already done! THESE losers are the problem!

• 13 Theo67
          April 7, 2011 at 5:47 pm

These are the same types of people who then go on TV to complain about the President not being able to satisfy some item on the wish list of the wailing progressives, like closing Gitmo or not extending the Bush tax cuts. This is what the President is dealing with. And what reason would these sellouts give for voting against the agency that ensures the safety of water, food, air in this country? What special interest are they looking out for? These people are bought and paid for, and they could care less about the well being of this country, and the future they’re leaving for the next generation – including their own children.

You know, the President mentions time and again that he’s making decisions that will help his children’s futures, or ensure that they don’t have to deal with something that should have been dealt with years ago, or ensuring that this country’s children will be able to compete with the rest of the world in years to come. What exactly are Sherrod Brown, Claire McCaskill, Carl Levin leaving for their children?

• 14 barb
            April 7, 2011 at 6:40 pm

I agree with everthing you say Theo67. I can tell you what Claire McCaskill is leaving her children…….millions of dollars. That woman is very wealthy and one of the first to attach her coattails to PBO. I wrote her a very nasty letter about how selfish she is.
            Dorothy, I signed the letter.

• 15 Tulips
          April 7, 2011 at 5:48 pm

Thanks dorthy i signed and thank you for the info. Now we need to not boycott celebrity apprentice. I don’t watch the crap.

• 17 Roberta in Mn
          April 7, 2011 at 6:14 pm

Done and sent to FB

• 18 Ladyhawke
          April 7, 2011 at 6:32 pm

DR, consider it done. I just signed the petition. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

• 19 majii
          April 7, 2011 at 6:45 pm

Signed with a rant included. Thanks, Dorothy.

• 20 Suzanne
          April 7, 2011 at 6:52 pm

Signed the petition. Thanks for the heads up. The more we take action like this, the better.

• 21 Shirley
          April 7, 2011 at 9:24 pm

I just signed the petition, thanks for the suggestion, great Idea.

6. 22 Me4obama
    April 7, 2011 at 5:06 pm

7. April 7, 2011 at 5:09 pm

Yeah, and then Bartlett gets out and walks up connecticuit avenue to see the republican Sepaker! Same old playbook from the pubs! But this time they have fox news, so they are way more confident! LOL!

8. 24 lisa
    April 7, 2011 at 6:07 pm

I sighed that petition. It’s like you can’t trust anyone anymore. What the hell has happened to this country?

9. 25 barb
    April 7, 2011 at 6:47 pm

Their sole action is to be reelected so they play to the tune of Big Corp and the way their district sways. They are there because they feel powerful and could care less about the needy. Then as you read the news they blame it all on Obama. They are sending out their message loud and clear. Obama is the one who doesn’t care for the people or our military. I am so angry that if I was near one of them I would cuss them out and I don’t usually cuss in public.

• 26 barb
      April 7, 2011 at 7:09 pm

Chipstick I read your comment about wishing BO would bite Boehner’s leg. I had to laugh out loud that was so funny. One of the best hee haw laughs I’ve had if a long while.

• 27 Lovepolitics2008
      April 7, 2011 at 7:17 pm

They feel powerful because the media doesn’t call them out on their lies.

The FIRST battle to win is the battle for a media who will get back to the job of FACT CHECKING !!!

10. 29 BIGFan
    April 7, 2011 at 7:10 pm

Conference call with Jim Messina and David Axelrod in progress now. I”M IN!

11. 30 Dorothy Rissman
    April 7, 2011 at 7:29 pm

I am overwhelmed by your help. These are the type of things we should try to be aware of. Thank you, thank you, thank you. We have got to watch our president’s back. So called progressive, we are going to be watching you.

12. 31 Ceb
    April 7, 2011 at 9:41 pm

DR

Signed the petition and left a comment; polite, but pointed. Told them to follow PBO’s example of being more concerned about getting things done than about doing things just to get re-elected.

RSS OFA