Apr

‘obama’s “base” problem doesn’t actually exist’

Steve Kornacki (Salon): Here we go again … President Obama is being confronted with warnings that he’s at risk of losing his left-of-center political base.

…As I write this, Obama has yet to begin his deficit reduction speech, but it’s very possible that the liberal commentators who have been excoriating him for the past week won’t change their minds as a result of it. In other words, expect more of these stories in the coming days.

This ought to feel familiar. Time and again during Obama’s 27 months in office, we’ve witnessed eruptions like this, with one-time Obama supporters claiming that because of [insert Obama action here], the president has lost their support for good….

All of these episode have one thing in common: For all of the threats and dire forecasts, Obama’s base stuck with him. At the same time that he was agreeing to extend the Bush tax cuts, his approval rating among Democrats held steady, in the 80 percent range, where they’d been throughout 2010 – and his highest scores were among self-identified liberals.

And nothing much has changed since then … Gallup’s latest poll has Obama’s approval among Democrats at 80 percent. An NBC/Wall Street Journal survey released last week put it at 83 percent – with a score of 79 percent among liberals. We have heard expressions of outrage from left-of-center commentators about how Obama has sold out his old base – but that base, by all appearance, remains very much intact.

…Just because Democrats instinctively tell pollsters that they want taxes hiked on the rich or that they want Guantanamo closed doesn’t mean they hold those views with the same intensity as commentators who live and breathe these issues for a living. What they do feel strongly about is a more basic and personal question: Do they like President Obama? The answer to this, when it comes to the Democratic base, has and continues to be an overwhelming “yes.”

Full article here

15 Responses to “‘obama’s “base” problem doesn’t actually exist’”

1. 1 Carolyn
    April 13, 2011 at 4:00 pm

These so-called pundits don’t have a clue who the “base” is…..they think they are. We know better. His base is regular, hard working people who have found someone to admire, someone they can trust, someone who has been through struggles like we have…..imagine growing up a bi-racial teenager! He has come through so much and is so comfortable in himself. He is not an ideologue, we are not ideologues; we want something good for the country and good for us. That’s how we see what he wants.

2. 2 Debz
    April 13, 2011 at 4:08 pm

Steve Kornacki usually comes through with the facts. We have known all along that the loud mouths are not the base. Then of course we are the real base. These PLs don’t know what the base is because they believe everyone agrees with them.

3. 3 lisa
    April 13, 2011 at 5:03 pm

i just had the unpleasant experience of opening up my e-mail and finding a damn manifesto from some chick named Becky from a little shit for brains organization called Credo, asking me to sign a petition telling PBO not to sign on to any deal that would cut SS/ Medicare or whatever the fuck they’re crying about. I was so damned mad because just not an hour ago I ran into a few little Nazi places called Salon, DailyKos and HuffyPuff all of which had people bashing the prez and his policies, calling him a liar and “amoral.” Then they bragged about how they weren’t gonna vote for him and how they’ve posted that goddamned petition on Facebook and sent links through twitter. I got a damned headache because of it. So imagine my surprise, disgust and relish when I opened my e-mail to find that bullshit email from Becky of Credo and other Nazi leftists interest. When I got done withd the reply email, I was so proud of myself. Everything I’ve ever wanted to tell Maddow, Schultz and all the Parasite Losers was said in that e-mail. Curse words and all. Sure, the e-mail read like the inside of a Sailor’s bathroom stall, but boy did I get my message across and if felt F-ing greeeeaaaaat!!!!!! Then I told them what ungrateful asses they were for using PBO’s database for their communist manifesto(I know it’s not a manifesto but this once, I’d love to sink into pure hyperbole) and that if they ever contacted me again I’d “Sue your asses off.”(I don’t even know if it’s legally possible) I also told them to leave MY president alone and just because of their stinking e-mail, my contribution to PBO’s campaign would be doubled. Then I ended my rant by calling them nasty names. I feel better.
    ps- for those of you who have seen my posts, I know that most of the times I seem angry, I normally am not, but these damn Parasite Losers just make me so mad!!!! the gall of them using the president’s database for their backstabbing bull!! ARGGGGG!!! Nasty pieces of work they are.

April 13, 2011 at 5:46 pm

lisa if I was near you, I would give you a big fat hug. You told those idiots on the left. what you thought and let me be the first to congratulate you, this President was greart/

April 13, 2011 at 5:50 pm

Our President was great today.!!!!!!!!

• 6 lisa
          April 13, 2011 at 6:04 pm

I heartily concur!!

• 7 Sonjia Duncan
            April 14, 2011 at 12:33 am

lisa I feel bad all I did was unsubscribe and told them I did not appreciate their attack on my President. They did not express my views.

Now I wish I had been a little more thuggish as my grand kids say. Well I think you got it all said for the rest of us. Thank you lisa.

• 8 Sue in Minnesota
      April 13, 2011 at 6:16 pm

I haven’t opened my e-mail in a month, but I know I have the same bullshit waiting for me when I wade in. I am a Credo customer, but after writing them imploring them to quit using such emotionally charged rhetoric prior to the tax compromise (I have a severe reaction to the term cave), I then said I was questioning my business arrangement with them. This will be the last straw for me. I think like a progressive, but I also make allowances for reality. I also can not respect those whose ideals make no allowance for those that may not think exactly like them. Credo you and I are done.

• 10 Sue in Minnesota
      April 13, 2011 at 6:22 pm

I think something we should not lose sight of is most of these enterprises have a financial interest in stirring the controversy, whether it is ratings for cable and network programming, Credo a “progressive” cellular phone service, political pacs, books to sell, et al……they are all heavily invested in “Marketing” and the financial gain it delivers.

• 11 Dorothy Rissman
      April 13, 2011 at 8:18 pm

Lisa, I am sorry. I think it has been a bad few days. We are all feeling the strain.

4. 12 Dorothy Rissman
    April 13, 2011 at 8:33 pm

Chipsticks, thank you for this article. It is great to think that PBO has one friends or support at Salon. Joan of course was and is a hillary fan. She sees our president as a failure.

5. 14 Sonjia Duncan
    April 14, 2011 at 12:05 am

The media is now pushing the idea that the President is losing his base. I wonder has he lost your guys? I am in it to win it.

• 15 Sue in Minnesota
      April 14, 2011 at 10:52 am

I’m all in. Always have been, never left him, and can’t imagine that I ever would. I absolutely get crazy with the distortions perpetuated by the MSM. I have to work on establishing appropriate perspective regarding the same….but at this time, fact is they set my hair on fire!