9 Responses to “flashback …. first black president?”

1. April 17, 2011 at 1:25 pm

Sticks you are just M a G N i F i C a N T. If it is out there and positive and portrays our President for the Great guy that he is yoooou’ll find it. ThanX for your thoughtfulness–I really appreciate how you bring our beloved President Obama’s presidency to the forefront. You Rock!!!!

2. 2 obamalia
    April 17, 2011 at 1:32 pm

I luv, luv, luv his sense of humor!

Here’s a few quotes re: PBO as comedian-in-chief:

Re: his celebrity status -
    “Contrary to the rumors you have heard, I was not born in a manger,” he said to knowing laughter. “I was actually born on Krypton and sent here by my father Jor-El to save the Planet Earth.”

In his State of the Union speech, he called the bank bailout “as popular as a root canal.” He suggested monthly meetings with congressional leaders, adding archly, “I know you can’t wait.”

At a New Hampshire town meeting, he faulted Republicans for slamming the government stimulus package and then praising the hometown projects that it financed. “They’ve found a way to have their cake – and vote against it, too,” he said.

During a college basketball game, the left-handed Obama told an interviewer he met with House Republicans “to prove that I could go to my right once in a while.”

At a recent observance of International Women’s Day, he saluted heroic women “from those on the Mayflower to the one I’m blessed to call my wife, who looked across the dinner table, and thought, ‘I’m smarter than that guy.’ ” It brought down the house.

Last May, he asked orbiting astronauts if they could see his Chicago home: “I’m trying to figure out if my lawn is getting mowed. I haven’t been back in a couple months.”

“Michelle has the right to bare arms.”

“In the next hundred days, our bipartisan outreach will be so successful that even John Boehner will consider becoming a Democrat. After all, we have a lot in common. He is a person of color. Although not a color that appears in the natural world.”

Here’s the President’s line when he gave the backstory of how Rahm Emmanuel lost his middle finger, and then ended with the punchline that that injury made Rahm mute.

Speaking about Mother’s Day, he praised his sharp-tongued chief of staff, Rahm Emanuel, who’s “not used to saying the word ‘day’ after ‘mother.’”

Re: Dick Cheney as his distant cousin, he responded, “Every family has a black sheep.”

3. 3 kay360
    April 17, 2011 at 2:05 pm

I think we have to give the Democratic Party some credit, too. This conversation could only happen with grace and humor in the Democratic Party. I cannot imagine this conversation happening so authentically within my former party. I’m impressed.

As for Barack, I think another youtube commenter responding to this just two weeks ago summed it up nicely, “Barack is so cool. Doesn’t seem like a politician, but like a real person in politics.”

I will take this line this with me as I work the phones and knock on doors this summer.

• 4 Theo67
      April 17, 2011 at 3:06 pm

That is an excellent line, and so true. He really does know politics and how to politic with the best of them – but he’s not just another politician. Great quote – thanks!

4. 5 Shirley
    April 17, 2011 at 2:36 pm

I like that one too, Kay. I’ll be using It :-)

5. 6 Pragmaticadult
    April 17, 2011 at 2:46 pm

I love the way he answered that.

6. 7 GGail
    April 17, 2011 at 4:55 pm

Barack Obama is so smooth…Grace under any circumstance

April 17, 2011 at 6:44 pm

He would wipe the floor debating something like Palin,Trump, Romney, or any of the other seven drawfs.

7. 9 louc1
    April 17, 2011 at 8:18 pm

Such a dumb question and such a SMART answer!