Apr

‘obama is now and will be a great president’

Frank Schaeffer: The “disappointed” left says president Obama sold out. The racist-laced Medicaid-mugging, billionaire-codling right staggers under the weight of terminal “birther” mythology … Meanwhile president Obama continues to bide his time and looks down the road to the post-2012 reality when his patience with an impatient country, his thoughtfulness in the context of a sound-bite-entertain-ourselves-to-death era of short attention spans and historical amnesia will be vindicated.

…President Obama has met the vile far right (and religious right lynch mob) and also met the disappointment of the shrill impatient left with a calm smile and good humor … he has also played chicken with each new crisis and – invariably – pulled last moment hair raising victory from what critics said would be defeat…

….Before he’d served a year president Obama lost the support of the easily distracted (bitter?) left of the Left and also became the target for the white hot rage of the hate-filled right of the Right. But some of us, from all walks of life and ideological backgrounds are sticking with our president.

….The disappointment on the left has apparently led some folks to concoct an alternate reality in which – in a mirror image of the loony embittered far right… no matter what president Obama does they dismiss it….

For instance here’s how blogger media personality and professional Obama-hater Glenn Greenwald describes president Obama:

“[Obama will] pay lip service to some Democratic economic dogma and defend some financially inconsequential culture war positions: that’s how he will signal to the base that he’s still on their side. But the direction will be the same as the GOP desires and, most importantly, how the most powerful economic factions demand: not because he can’t figure out how to change that dynamic, but because that’s what benefits him and thus what he wants.”

Think about Greenwald’s claim that what president Obama really wants is the same thing that the Republican leaders in congress want. He dismisses president Obama’s defense of stem cell research, a woman’s right to choose, gay rights, gays’ right to serve in the military et al as “inconsequential culture war positions.” Parkinson’s disease suffers waiting for a cure, women with unwanted pregnancies and gay men and women in the military might disagree that the costly stand the president has taken is inconsequential.

…Maybe there are some on the left who (besides selling anti-Obama screeds) suffer from some sort of psychological problem of denial and are unable to deal with the reality of what America has become and actually is: A place where progressive ideas are routinely crushed beneath the weight of the corporate state and entrenched bigotry. But THAT reality is where president Obama must function.

…We Americans are very lucky people. A sane and compassionate president is in charge. Over an 8 year period he will change American history for the better. Only president Obama’s dimwitted and/or hate-filled opponents are unlucky: they are betting against a political genius who also happens to be a very good human being.

Read the full magnificent post here

There’s a brilliant post too at Alternet about “professional Obama-hater Greenwald” – see here (Thank you Dorothy)

30 Responses to “‘obama is now and will be a great president’”

1. 1 Suzanne
    April 18, 2011 at 6:28 pm

Beautiful, Chipsticks. There are so millions of people that recognize what an incredible job he is doing. I’m certainly one of them. I feel so lucky to have him as our leader. Thank you!

2. 3 politicaljunkessa
    April 18, 2011 at 6:41 pm

I adore Mr. Schaeffer, and relate to him strongly, as we have had similar religious experiences and epiphanies. His writing never disappoints. Thanks for showcasing this article — eloquent as ever.

3. 4 Shirley
    April 18, 2011 at 6:57 pm

President Obama, has a vision that could put America on top of the world again. He has a vision to change the destructive direction that our Country Is headed. His vision Is to make America better for *ALL* People. I think he wants America, to be our Sister and Brother’s Keeper. I think he has strong feelings about young People getting a good Education, he has strong feelings about Seniors, who have worked and paid their dues, but yet may not be able to have Social Security, and Medicare. He doesn’t believe In the RICH get RICHER, and the POOR get POORER. He says that , THAT’s not Right. He’s a good and thoughtful PERSON first, and then he’s a Good President, and Is on his way to becoming a *GREAT* President, IMO. I believe History will reveal that. I just love you President Obama, you make a lot of us so proud :-) God bless you President Obama, and may God keep you from ALL harm and danger, In his Precious name.

• 5 sherijr
      April 18, 2011 at 8:41 pm

I Second every word you said Shirley.

Frank Schaeffer has been a constant supporter Of POTUS- and has spoken out eloquently so many times, I really appreciate his thoughtful writings. He ‘gets’ Mr. President very well, I think.

4. 6 kay360
    April 18, 2011 at 7:00 pm

I appreciate reading a former Republicans perspective. It just confirms that Obama doesn’t have a blue base or a red base, he has his own base. The media is going to get to the common sense Frank and I already know late. They always get to common sense late. There is an Obama base that crosses party lines that the media is totally ignoring. Over 10% of people who continue to identify as Republicans still support Obama, according to Gallop. Over 40% of independents support Obama. Over 85% of Democrats support Obama (So much for the disgruntled professional left– seems like mainstream Democrats didn’t the memo).

This President represents a broad base of support. None of the whiners can cite any other political leader with this kind of cross-over appeal. There are Obama Republicans, FOX and MSNBC. Deal with it.

5. 9 sjterrid
    April 18, 2011 at 7:04 pm

Thanks for posting this article by Mr. Schaeffer. I recently read his book, Crazy for God. He is an excellent writer.

• 10 Dorothy Rissman
      April 18, 2011 at 7:20 pm

Same here sjtrrid. I have been a fan of his for a number of years. His history is truly amazing. I first saw him a few years ago on Rachel. A recovering republican who fell hard for the president. go frank.

• 11 Audrey
      April 18, 2011 at 9:59 pm

Where can I buy this book?

6. 12 ChristiMTL
    April 18, 2011 at 7:13 pm

I LOVE Frank Schaeffer. I once sent him an email thanking him for one of his article. I received a reply from him within an hour…I was very impressed.

7. 13 lisa
    April 18, 2011 at 7:41 pm

“obama is now and will [forever] be a great[if not the greatest] president [in our lifetimes and perhaps even into the next]“- I knew there was something missing from that title ;) But back to the reason I decided to post: I thought that sentiment was already a given? If anyone who’s been watching PBO in the last 2.5 years can’t already tell that, then….there’s nothing left to say. But I thought it was a fabu article because 1: it’s true, 2: anything that zings those pinko-commie lefties is DYNO-MIIIIITE in my book (sorry, been watchin Good Times on TV Land).

8. 14 theboysisters
    April 18, 2011 at 7:42 pm

I’ve been meaning to read Frank’s books.

9. 15 Andogriff
    April 18, 2011 at 7:50 pm

Best article ever! I passed it on immediately, thanks so much Ms Chips! This man KNOWS what he is talking about.

10. 16 HZ
    April 18, 2011 at 8:14 pm

Yes, Andogriff, Frank Schaeffer is for real, I believe. I was a member of a very well-known church in the west, and I heard his father and mother many times speak. I also read his father’s books and his mother’s books. Frank speaks the truth in his books, I believe. I lived around people who are doing now exactly what he is telling everyone after he found out for himself what so many people were doing on his side of the political spectrum. Frank Schaeffer wrote President Obama a beautiful letter, when President Obama became President. I appreciate him sharing with us his take on what is taking place at this time. I sincerely believe that he means well by the President, and I do appreciate this article very much. It is on point. Thank you so much, Chipstick.

11. 17 Bobfr
    April 18, 2011 at 8:47 pm

Rage-a-maniac GG unleashed his minions, via twitter, on a wonderful, crisp, visual of the socio-pathology of the jealous that rootless posted at The People’s View, yesterday. The minions were met with what they deserved and rage-a-maniac GG has been caught altering his twitter posts :)

Can you imagine the twitter storm the very special Frank Schaeffer has likely ignited among the worshipers of rage-a-maniac GG :)

• April 18, 2011 at 8:58 pm

Bobfr, “rage-a-maniac” is absolutely perfect!! Sums that creep up!

• 19 Bobfr
        April 19, 2011 at 2:29 am

Hoped you’d like that one, Chipsticks. No pride of authorship. Feel free to ‘take it viral’!! :)

• 20 Betsey
      April 18, 2011 at 9:14 pm

Best thing about GG is that his insane post about Blackwaterdog let me know where her blog was, and that site led me here, and both sites led me to lots of other really interesting, thoughtful, fun sites, and so I’m having a good time and he’s still ranting away.

• April 18, 2011 at 9:25 pm

Ha, I remember that one Betsey, when he likened BWD to a Nazi propagandist …. so, Obama = Hitler. That creep has so much in common with the Teabaggers it’s untrue. The guy has serious issues.

• 22 Bobfr
        April 19, 2011 at 2:34 am

Hi Betsy, I, fortunately!!, was already consuming the lovely content of BWD’s place when rage-a-maniac GG did his dastardly, hateful blog on her.

The deep irony of his dishonorable act was to generate much more awareness of the wonderful haven she created and rigorously protected from all his pitiful minions and trolls from fringe left (yes, orange swamp and firebagger sewer, I’m referring to you) and the right (which is all fringe, all the time).

Yes.We.Can. … DO.MORE.TOGETHER!

12. 23 Obaman
    April 18, 2011 at 9:16 pm

I agree with every word in this post! Its true. A sane and compassionate president is in charge who also happens to be a political genius and above all, a very good human being!

13. 24 Audrey
    April 18, 2011 at 9:57 pm

Thank you Frank Schaeffer for speaking and writing the truth! Thank you for refusing to be distracted or lured to the dark side in exchange for money and notoriety! Thank you for your steadfast support of our great and honorable President when so many have sold him out for a mess of porridge!
    Thank you Frank!

14. 25 anniebella
    April 18, 2011 at 10:17 pm

I know we have a good President. I knew that 11-4-2008. By the time he is finish his second term, it will be written in stone. We will be ready to put his face on Mount Rushmore. Ha! Ha! No joke.

15. 30 Eleroy
    April 19, 2011 at 2:12 am

This was great!!! I sent it to every single person I know!!! Frank Schaeffer, you ROCK!!! Thanks for all you do in support of our spectacular president!!!