Apr

ah, the left’s equivalent of birthers (video added)

GOPolitico: President Obama was interrupted at a California fundraiser on Thursday by a group of singing protesters who demanded the release of Bradley Manning, the private charged with giving information to WikiLeaks.

Obama “could not ignore” the singers because the setting was small — about 200 people, according to the pool. The protesters in the back of the room sang: “Each of us brought you $5,000. … I paid my dues, where’s our change? We’ll vote for you in 2012, yes that’s true. Look at the Republicans; what else can we do?”

White House aides tried to get them to stop, then escorted out the woman who had led the group, the pool said.

For his part, Obama tried to make light of it, but he didn’t address Manning’s detention or treatment. “That was a nice song, much better voiced than I,” he said, the pool reported.

“Where was I?” Obama said. “That didn’t break my flow.”

More at the Washington Post

Source

“He thought it was kind of funny,” said White House press secretary Jay Carney. On Air Force One heading to Nevada, Carney said Obama came out of the fundraiser and remarked, “You don’t get that every day.”

:lol:

It’s funny, these people are always happy to quote PJ Crowley on Manning … except they always leave this bit out (from the Guardian): To be clear, Private Manning is rightly facing prosecution and, if convicted, should spend a long, long time in prison. Having been deeply engaged in the WikiLeaks issue for many months, I know that the 251,000 diplomatic cables included properly classified information directly connected to our national interest. The release placed the lives of activists around the world at risk.

Yep, Manning and WikiLeaks sure are heroes:

The Guardian (January 2011): …with the recent release of sensitive diplomatic cables, WikiLeaks may have committed its own collateral murder, upending the precarious balance of power in a fragile African state and signing the death warrant of its pro-western premier…

…in the wake of the WikiLeaks’ release, one of the men targeted by US and EU travel and asset freezes, Mugabe’s appointed attorney general, has launched a probe to investigate Tsvangirai’s involvement in sustained western sanctions. If found guilty, Tsvangirai will face the death penalty.

And so, where Mugabe’s strong-arming, torture and assassination attempts have failed to eliminate the leading figure of Zimbabwe’s democratic opposition, WikiLeaks may yet succeed. Twenty years of sacrifice and suffering by Tsvangirai all for naught, as WikiLeaks risks “collateral murder” in the name of transparency.

Before more political carnage is wrought and more blood spilled – in Africa and elsewhere, with special concern for those US-sympathising Afghans fingered in its last war document dump – WikiLeaks ought to leave international relations to those who understand it – at least to those who understand the value of a life.

The Australian (July 2010): The founder of WikiLeaks was forced last night to defend his decision to publish tens of thousands of uncensored intelligence documents.

The Times revealed that the names, villages, relatives’ names and even precise GPS locations of Afghans co-operating with Nato forces could be accessed easily from files released by WikiLeaks.

Human rights groups criticised the internet site and one US politician said that the security breaches amounted to a ready-made Taliban hitlist.

Julian Assange, the founder of the whistleblowing website, told The Times that he would “deeply regret” any harm caused by the disclosures.

But in an extensive interview he defended his actions …. “No one has been harmed, but should anyone come to harm of course that would be a matter of deep regret…..”

More here

50 Responses to “ah, the left’s equivalent of birthers (video added)”

1. 1 lisa
    April 21, 2011 at 2:43 pm

A-holes. They are such losers.

2. 3 Jessica
    April 21, 2011 at 3:12 pm

Do these people seriously want him released. He gave away private information. As someone who will be studying Knowledge Operations Management in Tech school even the idea of releasing classified information would get me discharged and thrown in federal prison.

• 4 Jessica
      April 21, 2011 at 3:21 pm

The unprofessional left are genuinely equal to the tea party. All noise, no substance.

• 5 Eleroy
        April 22, 2011 at 4:51 am

Most of them are not really from the ‘left”. They are a jumbled up mix of resentful Hillary PUMA’s, Naderites, Kucinich and John Edward disciples and a mix of Ron Paul libertarians.

They are bound together by their shared hate of President Obama and hide behind these mostly incoherent, incohesive and divergent causes that leave you thinking WTF!!!

3. April 21, 2011 at 3:13 pm

I wish we could find a telling title for the professional left, other than the professional left, that is. Something that shines a light on them, that they might recognize, not like to be called, but perfectly suitable so that they might say to themselves, no, that’s not us, not me, we’ve got to watch out here, we’ve got to change.

Hmm. I guess that’s a pretty tall order. These guys have momentously huge egos.

4. April 21, 2011 at 3:29 pm

I often wonder why people make fools of themselves to stage this kind of a disruption. This is akin to that Westboro church that pickets, i.e., our fallen warriors returning home, burning the Koran. It projects so much ignorance on the participants. I helped Cesar Chavez in his peaceful protests and dragged my 3 sons along so they would realize what causes are worth getting involved in. But this, were these people just doing something to be heard? I started to wonder if they actually know the magnitude of what this kid allegedly did? If he did this, he should be punished to the max. “If you let him go, we’ll vote for you”. I don’t think President Obama want or need their votes. Gads, our whole nation has gone stark raving mad!!!

5. 10 kay360
    April 21, 2011 at 3:32 pm

I must admit, that I think this is something that Obama should have addressed forcefully at this meeting and not just have brushed it off. I believe what Private Manning did was wrong, but Obama should remind people of that every time the issue is brought up. It should be as simple as the sentence that was provided to us in this article. If people continue to argue after his explanation, then brush them off. But, make sure you are on the record every time you are challenged. Obama should get used to saying the same thing over and over again on the campaign trail. It’s gloves off time. Sock them with the truth, Mr. President.

• 11 desraye
      April 21, 2011 at 3:35 pm

I agree.but I also like the way he handle it.

• 12 theboysisters
      April 21, 2011 at 3:45 pm

I see your point, Kay. Because they’re not about to stop doing this. It’s going to get worse as the campaign heats up.

April 21, 2011 at 4:20 pm

President Obama.

• 14 V C prezOfan2
      April 21, 2011 at 6:21 pm

In a way I see the rationale of your argument, kay360, but I don’t think such a response would be reflective of the President as I understand him. First of all, addressing this issue ‘forcefully’ in response to their little game/agenda would, IMO, have the President dancing to THEIR tune. I feel sure he’ll address this particular issue when (if) he deems it necessary. I don’t forget that he is a leader who likes to have his facts lined up befores he speaks. Secondly, IMO President Obama has already mastered his own very effective strategy to deal with challenges and I’d hate to see him ‘sock’ anyone with the truth as a reflex action. I far prefer when he administers truth using his own natural style, as in the recent speech when he spoke truth to Ryan calmly, and face to face. As the campaign starts to gather steam, I have to reiterate that I trust President Obama to know when it’s time to take off the gloves, to bide his time, or to do whatever. He is not perfect, but his track record suggests that if he errs in choosing his moment, he is man enough to correct, or stand behind his decision. IMO, we shouldn’t ask for more than that. There are so many of us with our own plan of action (our own sure-fire way to retain the presidency)that the poor man would be twisted in knots if he were to try to please us all with his campaign, or governing, style!

• 15 Eleroy
        April 22, 2011 at 4:54 am

Spot on V.C!!! As President Obama says, so many armchair political consultants, so little time!!!

6. 16 Me4obama
    April 21, 2011 at 3:40 pm

“That didn’t break my flow” that’s my man right there.

7. 17 desraye
    April 21, 2011 at 3:42 pm

First of all, the Washington Post was glad that they showed up so that they can report on it. You know the MSM loves to report the negative about the President instead of the positive. Secondly, who would pay 5,000 just to sing a stupid song about somebody that did something wrong. Theses people got to be out of their freaking minds. If you would poll Americans I bet they majority would want Bradely Manning in jail. They would also consider that he was wrong for what he did.
    The MSM does not mention Bradely Manning because it is not a real story. It is only a story to those not so bright on the left.

• 18 Jessica
      April 21, 2011 at 3:51 pm

I know. Weakest political statement ever. They’re probably the descendants of wealthy liberals with absolutely nothing to lose.

8. April 21, 2011 at 4:05 pm

Stupid assholes. But they paid a lot of money to help PBO reelection…

9. 20 anniebella
    April 21, 2011 at 4:18 pm

There are always idiots where ever you go.I say don’t release this Manning guy. Just let the President be prepared to deal with it because these idiots might show up again. Have security there to deal with these idiots. The President had to listen to that stupid song, so if they gave up $5000, good. But if this guy did what he is being accused of, why should he released? We must realize the Government have more information than we do.

10. 21 kelly
    April 21, 2011 at 4:29 pm

Meh…this reminds me of the people that use to follow potus events and heckle him about DADT, and some AIDS thing (both were false notions). OH remember those black guys that use to heckle him on the campaign trail with signs and shouting Obama is supported by the KKK or Jesse Jackson hates Obama, blacks against Obama blah blah etc. *sigh good times* anyway, our POTUS is built for this and always handles protesters perfectly.

Never forget the little boy who grew to be 44th POTUS who other little boys hurled stones and yelled at yet he still managed to smile and ignore. I love this man. :D

11. 22 S. Holland
    April 21, 2011 at 4:43 pm

Ahhh, doesn’t your subject head say it all!

12. April 21, 2011 at 4:50 pm

It is indeed refreshing to read such blog post as this. If I may I would like to add my voice here as a DAV, GLBT and minority.

Herding the left is no easy job and I wish it not upon my worst enemy.

Freedom of the press and expression – former CNN TV producer here, I endorse.

Honor, valor, integrity and in our military – former special forces officer here thus I am on the side of upholding the institution. The juxtaposition of the media and military worlds have greatly shaped my adult opinions on many things. When this MANNING issue came out I was torn to support Julian Assanage (sp) but not supporting the actions of PFC Manning.

The left lost me on this issue because we volunteer to serve no one forces us by conscription. The military is not a democracy, they operate as a team and insubordination would jeopardize the missions.

The left also lost me when they made Lt. Dan Choi a hero for marching in uniform (against military regulations, court martial normally come with such actions. ) I believe his chaining himself to the White House fence demanding the repeal of DADT push me beyond livid. Officers active duty or otherwise do not do that. At least not those of us who have sound minds.

I supported NO GLBT organization which pushed and demanded that his issue be part of the public discourse leading in to the mid terms. Patience and to trust the president was my admonishment to my friends and others who held this issue as a priority, after the elections I insisted. I still believe contributed the activism on the left with regard to DADT , GITMO and other of their wish list aided to the DEMS loosing the US House. Yes, I know there were other reasons but it all added up negatively.

Civilians have the rights to free speech and assembly etc. Military servicemen ironically and for good reason do not have those rights expressively while in uniform and in service to the nation.

I posted comments on another BLOG now which blogs to AOL supporting the presidents positions on DADT ( I am also openly GLBT and a human rights activist) I was attacked as an Obamabot. I am far from it, a loyal supporter however I am very INDEPENDENT. ( http://twitpic.com/2o4pyd)

The noblest honor is to serve in the US Military as an officer (or enlisted) but the greatest responsibility is that of being a citizen and voting. and viciously got beat down by the far left. They seem not to understand but must somehow be made or brought to the understanding that LEADERSHIP involves trust. I voted for President Obama for the sole purpose of rebuilding trust among other nations and protecting those who have no voices in my mother country.

On average hes doing one hell of a job thus far. He still needs us and I am ready to re-up on his team for another 4!

Ciao from Europe,

Lee

PS I try to vote for people whom I trust that way I don’t have to sweat the little things.

• 24 kelly
      April 21, 2011 at 5:50 pm

I love this comment.

• April 21, 2011 at 8:11 pm

Thanks sorry for the mistakes, I haven’t a ENGLISH spell-checker. Excuse I know but I am lazy, thinking in Italian and writing in English … I am a confused one.

Ciao
        Lee

• 26 Sue in Minnesota
      April 21, 2011 at 6:18 pm

Thank you for both your insight and your service. Trust is essential. Undermining trust in our government is a core message of both extremes. I don’t confuse trust with complicity, differences of perspective, or personal responsibility so I see it as a
      self defeating and alienating energy. If we are the government, what does projecting distrust say about us as individuals. It’s messed up!

I am happy that progress has been made with DADT, I hope in very real and measurable ways it will make a difference in your life. Acceptance, like truth frees us all.

• 28 virginia
      April 21, 2011 at 7:28 pm

At last, a TRUE patriot. I too have been blasted on other blogs for taking the position that what Bradley Manning did was illegal and treasonous. Suppose every soldier decided they could go into a secure area and indiscrimanently download documents (whether top secret or not), and distribute them to a third party–and do it while in a war zone?

He was not only endangering everyone in that camp, but by extension everyone in the United States. I cannot understand why people can’t see that. Strangely enough, those very same people might understand why it’s a crime to release the secret formula to Coca Cola, or Kentucky Fried Chicken. Yet they’re alright with the disclosure of MILITARY SECRETS!!

I am also glad to hear that there are some in the GLBT community who understand that change doesn’t happen overnight. I’ve had this conversation with GLBT members of my church–reminding them that it took exactly 100 years from Emancipation in 1864 and the end of the Civil war in 1865,for blacks to at least get equality codified with the signing of the civil rights act and the voting rights act in 1964 and 1965.

Hopefully that, and the relative success of the woman’s movement, GLBT equality is on the horizon. But it should be codified, not done by Presidential Executive Order that can be overturned by the next President. So far, I think we’ve seen a good start.

Again, thanks for the great post!

• 29 DreamChaser57
      April 21, 2011 at 9:14 pm

Phenomenal post – thanks for your unique insights. Safe travels.

13. 30 HZ
    April 21, 2011 at 6:12 pm

I think that the President’s response to the hecklers was very appropriate. However, there is a proper place and time for everything. This was not the time. In my opinion, the President should not have responded to these protesters, not matter how much money they contributed. If you give to someone, and then you throw it back in their face, I do not call that “true giving.” Keep you money and fit you cause. We have a DOJ. Mr. President can’t muddy the waters. I would not want in giving inappropriate comments on my pending case. Let the proper people take care of the case. The President is a very wise President. I have noticed that with the current MSM we have today, this President can’t scratch his head without them making a mountain out of the scratch. Let it go and let the proper people do their job. This President is a thinker and a listener, some people in our country are still acting like misbehaving brats. Enough is enough. I am tired of the disrepect to this President. Plain and simple.

14. 31 Sue in Minnesota
    April 21, 2011 at 6:26 pm

The misbehaving is a greater reflection of “the brats”, than it is the President. I do agree, just like a spoiled, badly behaving child, it wears on my nerves.

15. 32 Shirley
    April 21, 2011 at 7:19 pm

I also think President Obama handled the situation properly. After all, he was Interrupted by them, Manning, was Not HIS topic of the evening. As someone mention earlier, It’s probably a topic that he can’t just comment on at random, for reasons, that would be much too secretive. The main reason that I like President Obama, Is because I *TRUST* him. He’s worthy of my Trust, and has shown me so, In many, many ways.

16. 34 kelly
    April 21, 2011 at 7:53 pm

Thanks for the video CS. My POTUS, as usual handled the situation brilliantly.

17. 35 Theo67
    April 21, 2011 at 8:53 pm

These people are so ill-informed and rude. That was so disrespectful, but the President handled it beautifully.

18. 36 sherijr
    April 21, 2011 at 8:54 pm

Far as I’m concerned their ‘defense’ of Manning is more about their bias against President Obama than anything else. He’s their newest excuse to bitch and attack… they sound like PUMAS. So sick of these small melodramatic people who think they represent liberals. Of all the people in this country to speak up for, that knucklehead Manning doesn’t even come close to rating.

• April 21, 2011 at 9:09 pm

+ 1,000,000

DADT was their last toy, and to their utter despair the President saw that it was repealed.

Now it’s Bradley Manning. Like they care about the guy. They don’t. They’re beyond pathetic.

April 21, 2011 at 11:06 pm

What about all those poor men in jail (some of them unjustly imprisoned)who have been languishing there for decades? Did these sanctimonious blowhards heckle other presidents for THOSE cases?

Why the sudden concern for some middle-class privileged Republican, who broke the law because he simply felt like doing it?

• 39 Eleroy
        April 22, 2011 at 4:56 am

That!!!

19. 40 DreamChaser57
    April 21, 2011 at 9:22 pm

I think the woman should have been forcibly removed if necessary and her money kindly returned. Everything should not have a price tag. This type of disrespect should not be entertained or tolerated. Freedom of speech involves the right to peaceably assemble. It’s going to be a long road to 2012 and a tone should be set that this type of nonsense is not going to fly.

20. April 21, 2011 at 9:29 pm

Manning is a hero. the only thing manning is guilty of is letting us know the underhanded crap our government is doing. The information he released was nowhere near top secret. The pentagon papers that were released in the 60’s by a CIA agent were top secret, and he was never punished for it. The main diference is that when the pentagon papers came out this country had not descended in to fascism like it has today. Sop, you guys are hating on mann9ing for letting us know that our government has been lying to us, hand has been doing unspeakable things. The ones you shopuld be mad at are the people resposible for the acts that were disclosed, not the one whop let the cat out of the bag? what is wrong with you brainwashed drones?

• April 22, 2011 at 12:32 am

Hi Nemo,

All I ask of you before you allow yourself to be fully brainwashed by the cult of Julian Assange/Glenn Greenwald is to study the plain old facts. Going by the words of Bradley Manning’s own father, he is a troubled young man who has been used and abused by Assange/Greenwald for their own ugly agendas. He has, needless to say, an absolute right to be treated humanely while he is in custody, so it was a relief to hear his own father say that he is being treated well. That reassurance, naturally, was ignored by Greenwald …. because it didn’t fit his anti-Obama narrative. Greenwald, unlike Manning’s father, has never visited Bradley since he has been in custody.

The simple facts – as reported by the left-leaning British Guardian (see the links in the post) – are that some of Manning’s leaks were so reckless they endangered the lives of ‘good’ people, like democracy campaigner Morgan Tsvangirai in Zimbabwe and anti-Taliban informers in Afghanistan. If their lives are worthless to you, then, okay.

If you value their lives then, please, tell me: how is Manning a hero?

21. April 22, 2011 at 12:46 am

no one has died because of that info. the only thing lost was the reputayion of the politicians. did the video of the helecopter pilot and gunner laughing as they gunned down innocent people in Iraq get anyone killed. the two wars we are in are getting people killed. Name me one person who has losdt there life because of manning. the pentagon papers had much more sensetive info then the stuff manning leaked, that didn’t get anyone killed either. You just won’t face the fact that our politicians are evil bastards. and besides, manning has not been treated wqell He has been tortured and deprived of sleep.

• April 22, 2011 at 12:59 am

“no one has died because of that info.”

Oh boy.

Even Julian Assange conceded innocent people might have died in Afghanistan as a result of the work of Manning/Wikileaks.

Is Afghan life so cheap to you that the torture and murder of those brave enough to inform on the most evil of bastards – the Taliban – counts for nothing? Are they, as the Guardian alleged, just worthless ‘collateral damage’ in Assange/Greenwald’s agenda?

Respect your own intelligence, stop swallowing the Assange/Greenwald propaganda.

• 46 sherijr
      April 22, 2011 at 1:33 am

Manning is a sorry little punk who willingly enlisted in the military and took an oath – an OATH. Then proceeded to break that oath. (ex army here.. so I know something about that oath). And I sincerely disbelieve that he’s being tortured.. even his father has discounted that bs. Treated well isn’t the same as being treated within the law. I’m betting he has it a whole lot better than the majority of prisoners locked up in this country. It’s personal for Greenwald and company- anything they can attack this President on- they do. period. Of all the causes on this earth to rally on behalf of- to pick the likes of Manning? puhleeze. And if you honestly believe that ALL politicians are “evil”.. then frankly you’re so far gone you wouldn’t believe anything anyone told you unless it fed into your determined mindset. Politicians are people- some are dishonest, some are not. Just like your pal Greenwald and his fellow media muck.. now theres some dasterdly devils that make even republican politicians look princely. The fact is – some folks are just liars.. and if they’re not making up the lies, then in order to get attention/media facetime- they are more than willing to pass on the lies. Money and Fame- winning at all costs- thats the name of the game.. and many of those playing this game are shouting the name OBAMA as a way to get that money fame and attention. Its pathetic.

RSS OFA