Apr

greenwald’s guy

ThinkProgress: Following Barack Obama’s historic election in 2008, comedian Stephen Colbert declared that because our nation had just elected its first black president, “racism is over.” “We did it!” celebrated the comedian with a chyron reading “Racism: 1776-2008″.

Despite Colbert’s obvious satire, the “racism is over” meme has caught on with at least one Republican presidential candidate: former New Mexico Governor Gary Johnson.

ThinkProgress spoke with Johnson at a stop in West Palm Beach, FL. During a question about the Fair Labor Standards Act, Johnson abruptly shifted gears and declared that because “we elected a black president,” this shows that “we are colorblind” and “we’re not a discriminate (sic) nation”:

Unfortunately, racism is far from a historical relic in our society. A poll this month found that nearly half of Republicans in Mississippi want to ban interracial marriage … even this week, a Republican official in southern California circulated an email depicting President Obama as an ape. And Johnson’s assertion that “we clearly have shown” we don’t discriminate would be news to the nation’s 2.5 million Muslims who learned last month that they would be unwelcome in a Herman Cain presidency.

Out.com: One of (Glenn Greenwald’s) hopes for 2012 is that candidates will emerge to take on the red and the blue teams – he is keeping an eye on Gary Johnson, a two-term Republican governor of New Mexico….

So, Johnson’s ignorance (if that’s what it is) of people’s continuing experience of racism (including, needless to say, the President) isn’t a problem for Greenwald? He’s still the guy he wants elected to the White House? Interesting. Most real progressives, you would imagine, would be offended by the comments. Johnson, though, is on the same side as Greenwald in his latest pet project (Bradley Manning), so that’s okay.

Rooted Cosmopolitan: According to the 2002 edition of the Almanac of American Politics, as governor of New Mexico Gary Johnson cut taxes on the rich while cutting social services for the poor. He tried to pluck money out of public schools and funnel it in to private school vouchers. He vetoed a minimum wage bill. He signed in to law a late-term abortion ban. He won’t affirm a belief in global warming, and says even if it is happening that the effects are exaggerated and too much money is being wasted on it. And he vetoed a bill that would have continued the collective bargaining rights of public employees. That’s right, without the bluster but apparently to the same intended effect he did the same thing to public employees in New Mexico that Scott Walker did in Wisconsin.

Johnson also opposes child labour laws (see here)

More at The Reid Report (here and here)

Hmm, and still Greenwald is worshipped by the Professional Left? Wow.

21 Responses to “greenwald’s guy”

1. 1 sherijr
    April 22, 2011 at 2:45 pm

okay my two cents.. for whatever its worth: After then Senator Obama won the primaries.. I ‘found’ DailyKos via my hanging out/ blogging on OFA.. not too long after he won the election it became very, I mean VERRRY apparent to me that many of the folks, the loudest and the crassist resembled Republicans in the ways that republicans/ right wingers are most disturbing.. racist, hateful, narrow- (Greenwald was their hero over there) all this on a supposedly ‘left’ site. I think anyone calling themselves a liberal or as we’ve learned “progressive”.. and seeing anything remotely redeemable in a guy like this Gary Johnson.. is nothing more than a republican masquerading as a liberal. Greenwald, like Huffington, and so many others who’ve loudly claimed to be from the left.. are merely republicans posing. They must really really hate having an African American President- to go so far. Frankly anyone still calling themselves liberals and hanging with the likes of these folks is a fraud. Needless to say I left Dkos way back in November, stomached their BS as long as I could.

There ya have it, 2 cents worth from Sheri.

• 2 Dorothy Rissman
      April 22, 2011 at 6:00 pm

Sherijr, Spot on. I just got back from The Reid Report. Many of our friends were commenting and fighting with a “pro……. whatever. Defending Greenwald and the progressives. As is typically GN took him to task, and he started attacking her writing ability. Wow. GN is one of the best comment writers I know of.

WE all kicked his can down the road. Now that was fun!

• 3 sherijr
        April 22, 2011 at 6:25 pm

Good on you & gn, Dorothy. I really really dislike those knuckleheads and their nonsense. And you are so correct about gn.. she was treated horribly at dk- because she was so smart and factual.. they couldn’t handle her and the truth. Thanks for fighting the good fight~ I can’t mess with them, I get too angry, so I appreciate those of you who are able to. thank you :)

2. April 22, 2011 at 2:46 pm

Na, they couldn’t care less. They’re not progressives or liberals, they’ll follow anyone who’ll be anti Obama. The rest is not important.

3. 6 StR
    April 22, 2011 at 2:59 pm

“We elected a black President”? Huh I didn’t know President Obama was elected with 100% of the vote. I’m pretty sure 46% didn’t vote for him, and of those over half now believe he wasn’t born in America.

• 7 DoNoHarm
      April 22, 2011 at 5:07 pm

Your point is?

April 22, 2011 at 5:30 pm

I think StR’s point is that Mr. Johnson’s claim that “we” elected a Black president is inaccurate in the sense that only 53% of the voters voted for Obama, and most likely, Johnson was NOT among the 53%. Furthermore, a significant proportion of the the 46% who did not vote him, still do not accept him as a legitimate president simply because of the color of his skin, and disguise their bigotry via birtherism. Thus, Johnson’s “colorblind” claim is bullshyte.

• 9 RinaX
          April 22, 2011 at 7:33 pm

Yes, that’s how I took it as well.

• 10 V C prezOfan2
            April 22, 2011 at 9:41 pm

Taking it a step further, I wonder if Johnson would recognize the irony when he admits ‘we are not a discriminate nation’. One could definitely argue that Americans (speaking broadly) don’t even know how to discriminate between an excellent president/leader and the dross that’s leading the pack for the GOPers.

4. 11 mtmarilyn
    April 22, 2011 at 5:03 pm

It still so amazes me how people are allowed to put all this so front and center on TV, in papers, etc. It seems that the so called msm thinks that because Obama is President anything can be said about him and it not be racist. There is no civility among these people. It makes me sick to hear all that is said and then they call themselves lefties. I can’t listen to any left radio or TV.

5. 12 dotster
    April 22, 2011 at 5:13 pm

I love Colbert. He’s right on the money all the time. Remember when Repubs thought he was one of theirs? It took them a year or more to catch on. Not the brightest among us.
    And speaking of—-I didn’t know whether to laugh or weep for the sheer stupidity of these racist olds in South Car., as featured on Wonkette:

I did laugh at one of the commenters who, after viewing this horror, said that maybe we should let Medicare lapse for a couple of decades.

• 13 Shirley
      April 22, 2011 at 6:57 pm

OMG, the Teasnaggers seem to be backwards to me. I just viewed the Link you posted here,dotster, I really had to laugh. They remind me of the Beverly HillBillies, and I’m from South Carolina, born and raised for eighteen years. Embarrassingggggggggggggggggggggg :-(

• April 22, 2011 at 8:37 pm

the GOP is STILL picking their jaws up off the floor of when Colbert came to the Correspondents Dinner.

best.routine.EVAH.

• 15 dotster
        April 22, 2011 at 9:24 pm

Agree, that was a beauty. He was the first one to publicly break the silence, to tell the truth. The stunned, uncomfortable silence in that room full of our supposedly most esteemed journalists told you all you needed to know about the sad state of our present day news media.

• 16 walking on sunshine
      April 22, 2011 at 10:04 pm

This would be so funny if it were not real. How did we ever get to this?

6. April 22, 2011 at 5:15 pm

First of all on that clip of Johnson…ouch, the stupid hurts! I’m guessing he’s confused about the difference between the Fair Labor Standards Act and Affirmative Action.

Secondly, on the likes of Greenwald…my background is that I was raised in a right wing fundamentalist christian family and community. It took me almost 20 years to escape that kind of demagoguery. About a year ago, it finally dawned on me that Greenwald and many of the progressives on DK are every bit the demagogues as those I had to work so hard to extricate myself from. It was painful to have to see that all over again. But having lived it for so long, I know it when I see it.

7. 19 RinaX
    April 22, 2011 at 7:35 pm

I’m loving that these professional fauxgressives are being called out on their bullshit. This and the Reid report takedown have made my day. And I think the People’s View is also going to tackle this topic. These people are not our allies, we are not working towards the same goals, so they need to stop fronting.

8. 20 bjw2
    April 22, 2011 at 8:13 pm

And this is the great man who GG thinks should be president….wow!

9. April 22, 2011 at 10:55 pm

Chips, surf my blog in one hour. I have something to say to Missy Greenwald.