Apr

“sandbagged by a pro”

Stephen Goldstein (Sun Sentinel): Wealth care vs. health care.

That choice will frame the debate for the 2012 election. As a result, President Barack Obama has already won his second term, and Democrats will recapture majorities in both houses of Congress. Everything until then is a delicious denouement, when tea party extremists will have turned the Republican Party into a blip on the political screen….

Whiz kid wannabe, Rep. Paul Ryan will be the unwitting savior of the Democratic Party and cause of his party’s humiliating defeat. He issued his penny-pinching “Path to Prosperity” before the president spoke about our debt and deficit. For the unveiling, image consultants gave the Wisconsonite a new hairdo to soften his usual menacing part and ghoulish gaze, but they couldn’t change the mean-spirited, elitist strategy to which he committed Republicans: Adiós – Medicare, Social Security, Medicaid; Hola – tax cuts for the drowning-in-money.

…For average Americans, Ryan’s “Path” is a road to ruin. The Ryan Republican tea party would make a 65-year-old eligible for Medicare in 10 years pay nearly $6,400 more than people pay today – and force them into the private insurance market, where they probably won’t be able to afford, or even get, coverage. It swells the deficit by trillions and doesn’t achieve a balanced budget for decades….

When Obama delivered his vision for America, he drew an election-winning distinction between his party and Ryan extremists. Cool, calm and collected, he outlined a pragmatic path to fiscal health, while reaffirming his commitment to the social infrastructure on which all Americans depend. He spoke like the wise, senior member of an accounting firm, chastening an overzealous, junior bean-counter. Squirming in the audience, Ryan, who naively expected the president to kowtow to him, was sandbagged by a pro.

Whatever plan emerges to restore our fiscal health – and everyone agrees we need one – Obama will be the winner. Ryan/tea party/Republicans overplayed their hand. Exactly 150 years after our first Civil War, we are fighting another one for the republic’s heart and soul – and wallet. Ryan promises magically to create prosperity-for-all by pledging never to raise revenue while redistributing trillions in wealth care to the rich. So, he’s led a delusional GOP to a path to political suicide. When he and other defeated tea party/Republicans are looking for jobs, Obama’s commitment to health care reform will be the only thing that saves their family finances.

Full article here

Thank you Sarah T – this article is sublime

19 Responses to ““sandbagged by a pro””

1. 1 Fred
    April 23, 2011 at 11:43 pm

There are still some sane Rethugs left. I have to believe many of them have pretty much decided to just throw in the towel on 2012 and set their sights on 2016. Obama has pretty much laid to rest their fears of some liberal running wild in the WH ending the Afghanistan war prematurely and not doing all he can (such as predator drones) to stick it to the Taliban.

So they are ok with 4 more years of Obama but they won’t ever admit it publicly.

What really scares me is 2016. There are no good up and coming Dems and Jeb Bush speaks fluent Spanish. I’m pretty sure he is smart enough to know he could never win against Obama and is setting his sights on 2016 instead. That would be the smart move.

• 2 StR
      April 24, 2011 at 12:04 am

John Hickenlooper in 2016 will be a real contender in 2016.

• April 24, 2011 at 10:29 am

Maryland Governor Martin O’Malley looks good to me. I haven’t done any in depth research on him, but my friend who lives in MD likes him as a governor and he would have signed that gay marriage bill if it had passed. We won’t get someone who will stir the masses like Obama so we lower our expectations a wee bit. :)

2. 4 sjterrid
    April 23, 2011 at 11:51 pm

Thank you for posting Sarah T’s article.

I just wanted to thank you, Chisticks for all the hard work you are doing. You have created a great site that I love to come to everyday.

• April 23, 2011 at 11:59 pm

You’re so welcome sjterrid, as I always say, this place wouldn’t even exist without people like you dropping by, I appreciate you all so much. You make every day an absolute pleasure. Okay, I gotta go sleep! See you tomorrow, and thank you again.

3. 6 bjw2
    April 24, 2011 at 12:01 am

Wonderful article indeed!

4. 7 StR
    April 24, 2011 at 12:12 am

And only four House members were smart enough to vote against it. There is a belief that the Nevada/Ensign/Heller move was made to get Heller out of the House and away from their red meat votes ASAP. Rehberg, challenger to Tester for his Montana senate seat, was smart enough to vote against it unfortunately. Susan Collins has already come out and said she would not support it. I have a feeling that Reid might put the Ryan Budget to a Senate floor vote – because it wouldn’t hurt any Dem Senators to vote against it (Reid is in protection mode and will not bring any bill to the floor that will hurt the re-election chances of McCaskill, Nelson, Manchin etc). However the bill is so extreme the Dems would all vote against it – what would other Republicans do? What would Scott Brown do? Olympia Snowe? Dick Lugar? Marco Rubio? If they vote against it the Dems would use their vote to further paint the House as extremists, and if they voted the party line that vote would forever haunt them – some like Brown and Snowe as soon as 2012 and others like Rubio who have higher aspirations it could end them, especially when representing a state like Florida. Heller voted for the budget in the House, I wonder if he could vote against it now in the Senate and how he’d explain that one.

If Reid doesn’t bring it to the floor for a vote he’s missing a huge opportunity.

5. 10 Bobfr
    April 24, 2011 at 2:59 am

This is sublime – a narrative of elegance, insight, joy and truth. Thank you Chipsticks and Sarah T for sharing it with all of us.

This one goes ‘viral’ and I’ll certainly do everything I can to be sure it does.

Yes.We.Can. … Do.More.Together.

6. April 24, 2011 at 8:39 am

The little small-minded ryan budget which needs to be called by its new name the “path to poverty”.. I agree Senator Reid should call it up for a vote and put more of those other party people on the offensive or the defensive.

7. 12 africa
    April 24, 2011 at 9:58 am

“Squirming in the audience, Ryan, who naively expected the president to kowtow to him, was sandbagged by a pro.” Talk about hubris — re: Ryan thinking POTUS was going to give him kudos for yanking help from the poor for the wealthy. Ha. He got served and it was delicious watching him look for a way to sink into his chair, disappearing into the floor.

Sweet article. I sent Goldstein a note.

8. 13 JoAnn
    April 24, 2011 at 10:21 am

I loved every word of this.

9. April 24, 2011 at 10:32 am

Maybe Paul Ryan believed all the garbage that was being printed on liberal blogs claiming that Obama was going to give in on those social programs.

10. 15 Carolyn
    April 24, 2011 at 10:55 am

Paul Ryan, like some other strident Republicans, begin to believe their press clippings. That way they always get sandbagged by the quiet, smart person.
    Regarding 2016, from what I have read, there are some very good smart moves being made by Democratic governors in various states. I believe the Maryland governor was mentioned above. They are quietly working for the people in their states, and not grabbing national air time. The writer of the article I read, wish I could remember where and who, said they are not ideologues, and are working in their states for positive results. What a concept! A couple of others with very high ratings are the governor of Montana and Cuomo of New York, and there are others. Over the next 5 years one or two of these will begin to rise to the top, and the landscape will change after 2012.

Right now, in the Democratic party, Obama’s star is so bright, the others pale in comparison…..it’s hard to compete with a supernova.

11. 16 BIGFan
    April 24, 2011 at 11:47 am

Chipsticks, Thank you for this and Thank you for your many good posts. This is well said and inspiring. Wealth care vs. health care is perfect. Thanks to Sarah T for finding it.

12. April 24, 2011 at 3:04 pm

Just another 75 year old barely paying Medicare from my modest Social Security check; paying my rent and utilities in this Seniors Facility takes over 60% of my Retirement check. The remainder feed me and permit me to have my hair done monthly. Kaiser Permanente’ takes their fair share and I have finally given up on driviing since the cost of gasoline moved out-of-sight.

Yes, I worked from the time I was 12 years old; went to several Colleges while raising my Family (following my military spouse too often to develop a high-paying career) Yet I managed to accrue a 30 year annuity from a U.S. Government agency. The social Security check from the 40 quarters earned in the various jobs I held from dishwasher, cab driver, realtor, substitute teacher, college proctor, and election day worker. In those years we, Mothers, worked during the school hours at many part-time jobs that never evolved into a career — often called “temporary” to assure no paid-leave or other benefits.

Did I mention that I, too, delivered a wonderful Son while living in Kaneohe, Oahu, Hawaii in 1956. Despite his greater (than mine)level of education he is now a Tractor-trailer Driver due to economy challenges in the state of his choice, Michigan. Lost his home in the Detroit real estate down-turn but retained his sanity and hope for a saner America with our marvelous President Barack Hussein Obama !!

We chat daily about the “Status of our Nation” and we pray nightly for the First Family (beginning with Mother Robinson)– also for the Americans such as you that see the real picture and keep the rest of us posted on life as it could be if the rich continue to get richer. Thank you for your reality checks.

So glad that my Heavenly Father sustained me to enjoy this year and to envision a brighter tomorrow in these “UNITED STATES” of America. Don’t give in — stay focussed — you are on the right side of these issues.

MsYDB

• 18 Theo67
      April 24, 2011 at 9:47 pm

What an excellent testimonial from a real American living life as it really is right now. Congratulations on living such a full life, and best wishes for cotninuing to sustain yourself in these trying times. You are the person that President Obama is fighting the hardest for – real Americans, with real lives, and no clout in Washington – except for your vote. That’s something that these criminals can’t take away from you – and you have to keep telling your story so that the real state of affairs becomes real for more people. As the President said at the “We Are One” concert before his inauguration, “there is no obstacle that can stand in the way of millions of voices calling for change”. That is true.

13. 19 Luci1119
    April 24, 2011 at 5:24 pm

Good Afternoon to all of you, and Happy Easter Sunday to you.

I went to Church and I had to Usher, but I must say we had a great Service. The message was good and taken from St. Matthews. Anyway, some parts of the message was about how our Lord and Savior will make our Enemies obey. How our Lord and Savior will prepare a table before us, In the presence of our Enemies. His Goodness and Mercies will follow us for the rest of our lives. I want to say to *Ms Yvonne*, you just keep your hand, In the hand, of the Man from Galilee, and you will be all right. You just continue to keep the Faith, don’t lose focus, and our LORD will see all of us through this Crisis. Yes, we sometimes feel forsaken, but I BELIEVE that our Lord and Savior WILL see us through. I’m a Senior Citizen, and Is depending on Social Security, and Medicare. I retired from Delta Air Lines twelve years ago, so I know what It’s like to live on a fixed Income, Ms Yvonne. You see, I believe that when the enemy begin to mess with GOd’s People, meaning Believers, who ever they are, well, our Lord somehow, will allow our Enemies to make mistakes, because the ditch that our enemies dig for others, they just may fall In the Ditch themselves. We must hold on, and stay focus. Keep the Faith. You see, I also believe that our Lord chose PBO to be at the right place, and at the right time. Our Lord chose a *MAN*, a *FAMILY* who was just right, Perfect for this Country to LEAD. Our Lord chose a Man that was partly white, and partly Black. This Is how the Lord works, no favorites.

Then I come here and read Stephen Goldstein’s article on “WEALTH CARE” vs “HEALTH CARE”, this Is a *GREAT* article. Yes Siree, I believe our President Is playing *CHESS* while some are playing *CHECKERS*. THINK about It.

I know I’m a bit long winded here, I didn’t Intend to, I just wanted Ms Yvonne to know, you’re not alone, and to “STAY FOCUSED”, and to “KEEP THE FAITH”.

Thank you Chipsticks for ALL that you do, but this article, was a WINNER. I love reading all the comments that everyone post, some good stuff, very enlightening, and Inspiring. Okey dokey, take care everyone, I love all of you, and do have a great rest of the day :-)