May

let’s dance

ABC: It’s not every day that you see the First Lady of the United States doing “The Running Man” and “The Dougie.” But today, First Lady Michelle Obama well, busted a move.

While visiting the Alice Deal Middle School in Washington, Mrs. Obama watched students perform the dance routine choreographed by Beyonce for Mrs. Obama’s Let’s Move! campaign…

“Beyoncé is one of my favorite performers on the planet. And when she agreed to remake her video and do this “Let’s Move” flash workout, I was so excited, because this is what we’ve been talking about – that exercise and moving can be fun,” Mrs. Obama said, “It’s about dancing, it’s about moving.”

The First Lady said she had not had time to learn the moves so “not to embarrass” herself she’d just watch from the sidelines as the students danced in front of her on the football field.

But once the music started Mrs. Obama couldn’t resist and she started mimicking the moves – including The Dougie, The Running Man, the Cha-Cha, and the Rumba among many other choreographed dance moves.

She called for a second playing of the song so she could join in, and she did so…rather animatedly the second time around.

First lady Michelle Obama dances with students at Alice Deal Middle School in northwest Washington, May 3, during a surprise visit for the school’s Let’s Move! event

36 Responses to “let’s dance”

1. 1 SUE DUVALL SMITH
    May 3, 2011 at 3:57 pm

THAT’S OUR AMAZING FIRST LADY TEACHING KIDS IN AMERICA HOW TO STAY HEALTHY! EAT YOUR WHEATIES MR. PRESIDENT…MICHELLE IS ALOT TO KEEP UP WITH!!!!!…:)

2. 2 Jessica
    May 3, 2011 at 4:04 pm

Why are the kids standing around looking at Flotus? They are supposed to be moving.

3. 3 anniebella
    May 3, 2011 at 4:09 pm

Isn’t she just grand? Can you imagine any other First Lady out there doing this? Heck No! It wouldn’t be lady like. Michelle is real, she is friendly, she is down to earth, she likes interacting with people specially the kids,and that’s one thing I like about her. Will she be going to New York with the President Thursday?

4. 5 Capricorngirl
    May 3, 2011 at 4:13 pm

Go FLOTUS…Must see the video for this!!

5. 6 P
    May 3, 2011 at 4:16 pm

Now reach home and signed in to this….just beautiful!!!! Video please Chipsticks whenever you find it!!!

6. May 3, 2011 at 4:26 pm

Michelle looks fab as always.

But I just saw this:

President Obama will appear on Sunday’s “60 Minutes” to discuss the killing of Osama Bin Laden.

7. 8 HZ
    May 3, 2011 at 4:29 pm

Lovely First Lady! These kids are so blessed to have her interacting with them.

• 10 P
      May 3, 2011 at 5:07 pm

YESSSSS Thanks so much Hachiko!! Lmao @ Michelle Obama doing the dougie now how COOL is that!!!! :) I am loving this woman more and more she’s the best first lady ever!! Wish I could meet her we’ll dougie together lol :) :) :)

• 11 Hachikō
        May 3, 2011 at 5:37 pm

Isn’t she fab?! I was grinning like a cheshire cat and dancing in my seat the whole time I was watching her. She’s just the most funnest (yes, I know. LOL) most beautiful FLOTUS ever.

8. 12 Carolyn
    May 3, 2011 at 5:16 pm

Love these pictures! Love how the First Lady is actually enjoying herself and having a good time! And, then something hit me…..that is one reason the Rethugs despise her….she is actually enjoying herself and having a good time! She puts herself into everything she does, she connects with people, she makes those around her feel better. The previous First Lady was a lovely person, but she always looked somewhat in pain in public, and had an”I wish I could be anywhere but here!” expression. Rethugs don’t like to see people enjoying themselves, especially people who don’t look like them!

9. 13 lisa
    May 3, 2011 at 5:46 pm

I couldn’t love Miche any more than I already do.

10. 14 kelly
    May 3, 2011 at 6:04 pm

OMG, wait…. did I just see my FLOTUS attempting to dougie? God I love her.

11. 15 AnitaW
    May 3, 2011 at 6:08 pm

FLOTUS rocks! Of course she started moving once she saw that field of kids dancing. How much fun was this event.

12. 16 MeaBloom
    May 3, 2011 at 6:11 pm

THIS I WHY I LOVE HER!!!! She is so REAL. When Beyonce first released the video I thought of FLOTUS trying to dance to it but didn’t think it would happen. Why wouldn’t she? That’s just who she is.
    The Dougie? She did pretty good and she looked good doing it. I really enjoyed this. She is the BEST!! I am so proud to have this woman as My First Lady. I don’t think there ever has been or will ever be another First Lady better than Mrs.O.
    Thank You, Thank You, Thank You for sharing this.

Obama2012&I’mIn

13. 17 donna dem 4 obama
    May 3, 2011 at 6:18 pm

The absolute best first lady ever IMO :)

14. 18 GGail
    May 3, 2011 at 6:30 pm

I am so ooooooo so ooooooo proud to have Michelle Obama as my First Lady of the United States. This is what you get when you put qualified young people in the White House. You get courageous, non-jaded, positive individuals running the country! God bless the POTUS and FLOTUS.

15. 21 Sonjia Duncan
    May 3, 2011 at 6:55 pm

The Let’s Dance video is not that easy. I tried on the several different times and I can not keep up. All I can say is Good Moves Mrs Obama you look great.

16. 22 louc1
    May 3, 2011 at 7:34 pm

Teach me how to dougie
    T-teach me how to dougie
    Teach me how to dougie

Go First Lady – You make me Proud!

May 3, 2011 at 8:25 pm

Love my FLOTUS! The runner (Dean) on Kelly and Regis said that meeting our First Lady was like a dream come true. I’m glad I’m not going to be the first lady after THIS one!

18. 24 Luci1119
    May 3, 2011 at 8:28 pm

Yes, we have a cool, youthful President and First lady. When they come to the scene, they bring *ENERGY*. which gives the People Energy. They really are a cute and Handsome Couple. :-)

I heard on Lawrence O’Donnell, just now, that President Obama asked President Bush to join him on Thursday, at Ground Zero, but Bush declined, ummmm. Oh well, our Belove President, extended the Olive Branch, once again. Bush probably feels un-deserving to go to Ground Zero, when he abandoned the search for Osama bin Laden. Like REALLY, how could he feel good about being there, when he knows, that he didn’t finish the job.

• 25 Kasai
      May 3, 2011 at 9:39 pm

You know Luci…I was disappointed too…but deep within me, I think he (Bush) did it out of respect for President Obama…maybe thinking this is His Day (President Obama) and didn’t want to take the spotlight off him, I believe that Bush and Barbara deep down really like President Obama for the respect he’s given them… I am sure he’s watching some of the Rethugs…praising him…even though he know he doesn’t deserve it…a good reason to decline the invitation….but as usual our Classy President extended his hand. Just MHO :-)

• May 3, 2011 at 9:44 pm

I have to agree Kasai, even though I completely understand Luci’s feelings on this. It was, as you said, a classy move from a President who wanted to make Thursday a day for all Americans, and not just a day about his success. In my gut I didn’t want him to invite that thing, but luckily for the world he’s waaaaaaaaaaaay classier than me!

• 27 Kasai
          May 3, 2011 at 9:54 pm

Hey Chip:-) nice to see ya….Boy I was calling out for you …the night you were MIA..hehehe…I was hoping that someone would wake you up!!!but oh boy you sure made our day much brighter, with all the videos, clips that makes us LOL….hehehe I know sometimes I forget to thank you….but rest assured that your log is the first I read and the last one in may daily routine, and I so appreciate your dedication to this blog.
          much love for all you do dear one:-)

Ok…going back to bush…remember when Barbara said ” she should go back to alaska” you know who:-)
          That’s one of the reasons, I am sure she’s watching her (nameless) going around and praising her husband for something he didn’t do..I bet she’s shacking her (Barbara) head..and thinking..she’s still yapping and haven’t found her way back to Alaska..lol

19. 28 anniebella
    May 3, 2011 at 8:52 pm

She’s great. Just great. I can’t wait to meet our First Lady one day.

20. 29 Jazzjazzy
    May 3, 2011 at 9:10 pm

I am 14 and sh does the dougie better then me lol love her

21. 31 Kasai
    May 3, 2011 at 9:45 pm

What can is say about our First Lady:-) SHE’S ONE COOL AMAZING WOMAN……

We are so blessed to have not ONE. But TWO….Amazing human beings that makes us feel good and want to be better people.

God Bless them:-)

22. 32 meta
    May 3, 2011 at 11:03 pm

How beautiful and how cool is she????

Wish we could all get together for a flash mob somewhere!!

23. 33 Sue in Minnesota
    May 4, 2011 at 12:02 am

I bet she can tear it up…….but has to hold back under the scrutinizing eyes of MSM/Americans. Even though she didn’t know the dance, she looked good, a few times through and she’ld be rockin it like Beyonce. Love, love, love her.

24. 34 AnitaW
    May 4, 2011 at 12:59 am

Okay. I’ve watched that video entirely too many times. She is so much fun and those kids look as if they really enjoyed that visit.

25. 35 Titti
    May 4, 2011 at 6:53 am

That’s what I love about this couple – can get down with kids one minute and talk shop with prime ministers the next day.

26. 36 anniebella
    May 4, 2011 at 2:25 pm

I remember the First Lady making a joke about the President’s dancing when they were on Oprah. I bet they have a time when they are together as a family. I do know the President did pretty good slow dancing to’At Last” with the First Lady.