May

morning

NYT: President Obama travels to ground zero in Lower Manhattan Thursday afternoon … he plans to lay a wreath at a memorial to the nearly 3,000 victims of the 9/11 attacks. He will also meet privately with family members of the victims, firefighters and other rescue workers who died in the September 2001 attacks.

…On Friday, the president will go on the road again to Fort Campbell in Kentucky for a less somber occasion: to pay tribute to those who flew the Navy Seal team to Bin Laden’s compound deep inside Pakistan. The Army’s 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment, which provided air transportation for the Navy assault team, is based at Fort Campbell.

E.J. Dionne (Washington Post): Barack Obama is not the man many Americans thought he was. This sudden realization has transformed American politics … The sheer audacity of the successful operation against Osama bin Laden has forced Obama’s friends and foes alike to reassess what they make of a chief executive who defies easy categorization and reveals less about himself than politicians are typically drawn to do.

Obama is hard to understand because he is many things and not just one thing. He has now proved that he can be bold at an operational level, even as he remains cautious at a philosophical level. His proclivity to gather facts and weigh alternatives does not lead automatically, in the venerable phrase, to the paralysis of analysis. It can also end in daring action tempered by prudence – for example, making sure that additional helicopters were available to our Navy SEALs.

… one of his close aides told me long ago, there is inside a very cool, tough, even hard man. Obama is not reluctant to use American military power …. because he ordered this attack, and because it was successful, no one will ever view Barack Obama in quite the same way again.

Full article here

(Thanks Lee)

Jo-Ann Armao: Right call on bin Laden photos …. I have to confess to breathing a sigh of relief on hearing the White House’s decision not to release photos of Osama bin Laden’s bloodied corpse. Just as I found the dance-on-his-grave celebrations that followed Sunday’s announcement of his death a tad unseemly, the idea of America proudly displaying its kill was unsettling.

….what purpose would be served by releasing these photos, said to be profoundly gruesome? Those who say it would eliminate questions about whether bin Laden actually died are kidding themselves that the bin Laden doubters would accept photos released by the U.S. government as real proof.

….the only purpose served by the photos’ release would have been to satisfy the morbid curiosity of a public that’s become accustomed to blood and violence as entertainment. The cost could well have been inflaming public opinion in places where American troops are serving and that’s simply – as the administration wisely determined – too high a price to pay.

Full article here

Eugene Robinson: Why I would’ve released the bin Laden photos … I understand why President Obama decided otherwise, and of course I respect that decision. But I think showing the world evidence – however gruesome – of the terrorist butcher’s death would have been the better call.

Why? Because while gory photographs would have inflamed some jihadists and wannabes, I believe they would have disillusioned and deflated others. A heroic myth of invulnerability had been built around bin Laden….Showing him in death would definitively refute any notion that bin Laden enjoyed some kind of divine protection. The myth would die with the man.

It’s also true that photographic evidence would silence most, but not all, of the conspiracy theorists … but this is just a secondary consideration, because the wing nuts won’t get any traction. I doubt that even Donald Trump is going to endorse a theory that requires calling Navy SEALs a bunch of bald-faced liars – not to mention the entire military and intelligence chains of command.

The reason to display the photos is to show bin Laden for what he really was: not a holy warrior, not a holy anything, but a deluded mass murderer who met the end he so richly deserved.

Full article here

The Fix (Washington Post): In the days since the killing of Osama bin Laden, President Obama has adopted a simple strategy: be big.

Big as in magnanimous. Big as in bipartisan (or, better yet, nonpartisan). Big as in inclusive.

…Let’s first revisit some of the decisions Obama has made in recent days.

* Obama’s speech announcing the death of bin Laden was somber and short – devoid of triumphalism or credit-taking.

* In making the decision not to release a photo of the deceased bin Laden … Obama made an appeal to a shared American value system. “That’s not who we are. We don’t trot out this stuff as trophies. We don’t need to spike the football.”

* Obama invited former President George W. Bush to attend a wreath-laying ceremony at Ground Zero tomorrow (Bush declined) and took a pass on making remarks at the event…

Full article here

36 Responses to “morning”

1. 1 Marlz
    May 5, 2011 at 9:22 am

Thank you President Obama for not releasing the pictures. . .

here is a start of what this has triggered! http://uk.reuters.com/article/2011/05/05/uk-yemen-qaeda-idUKTRE7441ET20110505

You are the best, SIR!!

2. 3 Proud of Obama
    May 5, 2011 at 9:35 am

Good morning, Chipsticks and TOD family. OK, I had to stop watching Halperin. His comments really incensed me when he talked about the WH bungling the communication about the bin Laden kill. All this morning that’s all the MSM could talk about; that the WH backtracked, changed the story, this overshadowed the perfect execution of the operation, blah, blah, blah. I’m so sick of them. The other comment from Halperin that really riled me up was his saying that PBO can’t get to 65% because of his failure to bring the country together which means that certain people won’t approve of him no matter what.

Why in the hell don’t these imbeciles tell the truth? That what keeps PBO from getting the sky high approvals he deserves is pure hatred from the likes of Halperin, Tea Party racists and republican leadership who do everything to fuel the divide.

I wish the President would not own that he has not brought the country together. For the sane, rational people not fueled by racial hatred of the black president, he has done exactly that. The fault lies with the racists (like Halperin) pure and simple. If PBO’s masterful execution of the bin Laden kill isn’t an example, then I don’t know what is. Every evil rethug from Peter King to the trashy Alaska quitter, to schizoid Glenn Beck, and jealous, uneducated Hannity have been working overtime to diminish PBO’s accomplishment because they can’t stand to face that he’s the smartest, most compassionate president we’ve ever had. And the media is complicit.

They disgust me thoroughly.

• 4 UT Austin Liberal
      May 5, 2011 at 9:43 am

Fanned and Faved, POB. I watched Morning Joe this morning and wanted to smack the heck out of Halperin. Even after Mika(for the first time in forever), Jim Miklashewski, and Harold Ford (sell out that he is) explained everything and corrected him and chastised him, he kept trying to make that false point by saying that he was just playing devil’s advocate. I was like “um..no Mark, you’re just a POMPOUS JERK”

• 5 StR
      May 5, 2011 at 11:17 am

Yeah, they should have made it up like Bush did with Pat Tillman and Jessica Lynch.

3. 6 Fred
    May 5, 2011 at 9:40 am

morning Chip and TOD family.

GOD bless and guide and protect the President;Vice President;each and single member of the Administration;the soldiers and their families and may GOD bless our country TODAY especially today.

May the Holy spirit put the right words in the President’s heart so that he can sooth these people he’ll meet today

4. 7 SUE DUVALL SMITH
    May 5, 2011 at 9:47 am

THE PRESIDENT IS THE COMMANDER-IN-CHIEF…I DEEPLY RESPECT HIS DECISION NOT TO SHOW THE BIN LADEN PHOTOS. THIS IS NOT THE TYPE OF COUNTRY WE ARE! WE ARE BETTER THAN THAT…STICK TO IT MR. PRESIDENT AND SHAME ON CNN AND ALL OTHERS IN THE MEDIA WHO CONTINUE TO PUSH THE SUBJECT. MAY YOUR HEART BE WARMED TODAY MR. PRESIDENT AS YOU VISIT THE HURTING AT GROUND ZERO. ALL OF THESE FAMILIES ARE GOING TO BE SO HAPPY TO SEE YOU. WE LOVE YOU MR. PRESIDENT AND WE’VE GOT YOUR BACK!

5. 8 Me4obama
    May 5, 2011 at 9:58 am

Morning o family, I saw morning joke and mark halperin ruined my morning workout with his bullshit talk. What a bitter man.

6. 9 Theo67
    May 5, 2011 at 10:12 am

I can’t get excited about the media articles praising the President, or declaring that he’s “not what we all thought he was” – meaning that we all apparently thought he was weak, ineffectual, etc. The media has created a caricature of this President that doesn’t resemble the awesome reality of the man. He’s been making tough calls from the beginning. He and his family have shown courage by just being the First Family, than any of these armchair quarterbacks, who don’t have their lives on the line every day. He’s been magnanimous and “big” since well before he was President, because he’s the same man who gave the Democratic Convention speech that spoke of “no red America and no blue America”.

Watching the media and their desperate attempts to ride the President’s success while also tearing him down to find a negative spin somehow – it’s deeply distressing.

• 10 EDP4BHO
      May 5, 2011 at 11:31 am

I’m with you on the media, Theo. I sincerely try never to watch them. I only watched MSNBC after the WH Correspondence Dinner and the annihilation of OBL. Everyone there was on point. After 2 nights, I usually sign off. I get my positive info whenever and wherever I can, then I scurry away before the mood changes :-D

• 11 V C prezOfan2
      May 5, 2011 at 11:35 am

Morning, Theo! It’s a great day where I am physically, as well as generally. Please don’t let the media’s antics depress you. IMO you needn’t be excited about their ‘praise’ nor dejected by their criticisms. In general they lack credibility, and/or integrity and people are seeing that – not as quickly as we’d like, but they are seeing it. In the meantime let’s treat them as insignificant, with mental thoughts like – ‘It’s good that you NOW see that.’, ‘Sorry, you haven’t gotten it yet, keep trying.’, ‘The President has always expressed that position. Where were you?’ etc. etc.

I strongly believe the President’s actions will continue to stand on their own merits. As in any classroom, some students grasp the focus content right away, often before the teacher has gone through all the steps, while others take a little longer, or need repetition, and still others don’t ‘get it’ until many other later lessons. Some never get a particular concept at all! This President has set his course, and, frankly, I don’t believe the media will be successful in totally derailing it. They have certainly slowed it down, but I refuse to believe they will kill it. The President has too good a grasp of the situation, of the Constitution, and of the measure of the people he is dealing with, as well as, I believe, an intense desire to make a difference in people’s lives. Being president of the United States is the ultimate opportunity to make changes in the lives of Americans and I think the President is making excellent use of that opportunity. IMO the media as they perform today are parasites, straddling the fence in order to gain ratings on both sides. So they will ‘ride his success’ because they have no choice, and they’ll ‘tear him down’ because they are insecure and lack integrity. I’ve come to the realization that, mostly, they hardly matter. You cannot hide a light – in his role as leader, President Barack Obama is a light! With places like TOD, BWD, BBC, and other foreign entities, for some of us (North) American mainstream media will hardly matter in the long run. They mostly serve as irritants.

• 12 Claire
      May 5, 2011 at 10:48 pm

Theo67 I agree 100%. It even angers me to hear them talk as if they have unveiled some new revelations about the President. If the media would stop trying to pigeon hole the President, they might actually see him for the strong, intelligent, compassionate, assertive, productive man that he is.

7. 13 Blackman
    May 5, 2011 at 10:24 am

Mo’nin’, Ms. Chip and TODers

Pretty nice things being said all around for the most part. A lot of the “noise” being heard is, ridiculously, to be expected. It’s interesting that any number of these pundits are SOOO surprised when, overwhelmingly, PBO has been about trying to do exACTly what he said he would do – including getting bin Laden – for 2.5 years, now.

The “noise” being heard now about the reporting of how the bin Laden operation may well quiet down some after the ceremonies at Ground Zero. The country, as a whole, is not gonna carry on, as the petulant press appears to be doing, about how confusing a matter like this can be. Not to mention that there are things that the Administration does NOT want them the press and us the public to know. And, yes….Halperin

WHAT a DOOF.

Still trying to sell that professorial, boring meme. Not inspirational?? I laughed out loud at that and a lot of what all else he said. It would appear that PBO got a very nice bump in the polls from this action. Of course, the focus, here, would be on ones where it was not much. And, as we know, polls will be everywhere and the focus is gonna be on ones where there is not much along the lines of gain. Consider the source, Me4, and don’t let Halperin ruin anything.

All of us can scroll down the front page and find the clip Ms. Chip put up from the New Yorkers. One who actually lost a son who is going to meet, personally, with the President. What was HIS assessment of the President? What did HE say he wanted to say to the President: “dad to dad”?

Let’s keep our focus, as he is asking us to do, on the things that are important, and not on some silly, resentful, bitter journalists and sore losers.

• 14 Me4obama
      May 5, 2011 at 10:35 am

Thank you Blackman. My problem is am very sensitive to any critic of my president and Halpf**c looked so bitter and a disgrace to me. AM IN. 2012

• 15 PoliticalJunkessa
      May 5, 2011 at 11:23 am

Amen. Love your post :-).

—-PJ (BOYCOTT THE MEDIA. Stop helping them attack your President!)

8. 16 Jessica
    May 5, 2011 at 10:26 am

I think he made a bold move when he increased troop buildup in Afghanistan when a lot of people in his cabinet/administration disagreed with him and Americans were not happy about it. He went with his gut and took a hit for it. Now that bin Laden is dead hopefully Americans will trust his judgment and wait patiently for a responsible troop withdrawal.

• 17 EDP4BHO
      May 5, 2011 at 11:35 am

That’s what I was saying on another site. Why else would he have risked the disfavor of many Americans complaining about the money that should be put into “job” creation…..as if gov’t can create jobs (PBO always said that is not the case). I knew in my gut that he was after OBL.

9. 18 ChristiMTL
    May 5, 2011 at 10:26 am

Good article in Think Progress

Bush Reportedly Declined Invite Because He’s Peeved He Hasn’t Gotten Enough Credit For Bin Laden Killing.

Lets see, and if the mission had failed??? he would feel the same way??….The GOP would have started impeachment processes the next day……bunch of hypocrites!!!….

Spin spin spin.

I can’t wait to see the president today!!

I don’t watch Morning Joke…I just can’t.

• May 5, 2011 at 10:42 am

honestly, I’m not buying it. Obama called bush and told him, bush put out a gracious statement and Obama gave him a shout out in his late night speech. I think that rumor is being pushed by bush supporters. It just fits too perfectly with what other conservatives are saying in the media.

• 20 StR
      May 5, 2011 at 11:20 am

I love it. Republicans whine when the economy is blamed on Bush, saying “This is all on Obama, he’s overseen the economy for 2.5 years now, you can’t blame Bush for anything anymore”. However now it’s “Stuff Bush did still matter and should get equal credit”.

10. 21 hgerhard
    May 5, 2011 at 10:30 am

Take heart, Theo. WE know that Barack Obama has always been a thoroughly decent, hard-working, generous and effective leader. Let the pundits work it out in their own minds and ignore their pathetic attempts to justify their relentless and often malicious commentary. Our President is above that kind of assessment. The true impact of this awesome leader will not be known for a long time, but history will certainly record how he truly changed the world. In the meantime, let’s just work hard to give him another term as President. A second term will bring more progress and more change, not just for our nation but for people everywhere.

11. 22 dotster
    May 5, 2011 at 10:33 am

Who’s funding the National Taxpayers Union which is running anti-Obama ads now on all networks, blaming him for high gas prices? Is this one of the Koch Bros. enterprises again, some corporate entity rising up to tamp down the enthusiasm for Obama at this time? This is sick and beyond infuriating.

• 23 Me4obama
      May 5, 2011 at 10:39 am

Doster I saw that commercial and almost smashed my TV screen. I wish the democrats fight back sooner. We don’t need these lies to stick into peoples heads.

• 25 ChristiMTL
      May 5, 2011 at 10:44 am

National Taxpayers Union (NTU) is America’s independent, non-partisan advocate for overburdened taxpayers. NTU mobilizes elected officials and the general public on behalf of tax relief and reform, lower and less wasteful spending, individual liberty, and free enterprise. Founded in 1969, we work at all levels for the day when every taxpaying citizen’s right to a limited government is among our nation’s highest democratic principles.

LIBERTY, TAX CUTS, SMALL GOVERNMENT.

Yep, non-partisan my /&$.

I think I saw that commercial 4 times already….infuriating.

12. May 5, 2011 at 10:36 am

Well it took them long enough to catch up with the rest of us. geesh.

13. 29 PoliticalJunkessa
    May 5, 2011 at 10:36 am

People are still watching — and getting incensed by — Morning Joe? All that wasted energy. SMDH.

Anyway, may today be a day of healing and hope.

Viva Obama. 2012 and beyond!

(BOYCOTT THE MEDIA. Stop helping them attack your President!)

14. May 5, 2011 at 10:59 am

P.M. Carpenter has a pretty good write up on Eugene’s column. I found Eugene’s reasoning odd.

15. 31 kay360
    May 5, 2011 at 11:37 am

Halperin is underestimating what this means by focusing on polls. This is not about approval but changing the long-term narrative and the President’s portfolio of skills. No one can say Obama is soft on terror. He has proven himself to be a bold, committed, and deeply patriotic Commander-in-Chief.

Also, why are Americans afraid to mention racism as the root of the double standard? Do you think there would even be a discussion about the previous president’s contribution to this action, no matter how valuable, if he was white and/or Republican? I don’t think so. There are some Americans who will not support this President simply because he is black. Yes, he received 53% of the popular vote to McCain’s 46%, but his demographic was mixed. Among Whites he received only 45% of the vote even though he was CLEARLY the superior candidate. And if you consider that Palin was first in line for the Presidency if a 72 year old cancer survivor happened to die while doing the toughest job in the world over the course of four to eight years, 55% of white voters would rather take that risk than vote for a black man. The majority white vote was irresponsible, dangerous, and deeply unpatriotic.

For the majority of white voters, racial loyalty trumped loyalty to country. Country was never first for these voters– race was. This is why as a white former Republican I left the party. I have more in common with a Colin Powell than any of the Tea Partiers or this new crop of racists masquerading as “Republicans.” This country has become delusional, particularly “far-white” Republicans. They are unwilling to admit that they need some serious time in the dog house, and that after Bush, the only reason they are even at the table is because they represent rich white men. Republicans should be humble, keep their heads down, and work hard with Democrats to get the country back on track even if it costs the party. Their arrogance and meanness has cost the country and still is. I cannot say they are proud to be American. They are simply proud to be white American. Their patriotism relies exclusively on their ability to have it their way all the time. The media will not be honest about this because they suffer much of the same fear of losing power and relevance as the majority of the country darkens. Disappointing very few people will address this blatant willingness to sabotage America for the sake of white power. I hope I don’t offend fellow whites on this board, but this is the truth as I see it.

• 32 sherijr
      May 5, 2011 at 12:36 pm

Well said Kay- especially this line: Racial loyalty trumped loyalty to country. This is why the goal-posts move every day on this President.

I don’t watch teevee.. I have to say it is very disheartening to read some of the comments here and over at bwd’s this morning. Not what I expected today. After two + years as President and over a year of primaries and elections- by now we all KNOW the media is republican. They prove themselves dishonest and biased pretty much daily. Did anyone here really think that the killing of America’s # 1 enemy by POTUS was going to suddenly change this behavior? The media is not going to change.. WE have got to change the media.

16. 33 V C prezOfan2
    May 5, 2011 at 11:40 am

GOOD MORNING to Chipsticks and all TOD-ites!!
    This is Thursday of a really ‘good’ week, and I’m happy :lol:. Are you? What can we sing and dance about today?
    I’m just sending my message out there while I climb back up to finish reading the entries made before my arrival.

Have a terrific Thursday, everyone!

• 34 sherijr
      May 5, 2011 at 12:39 pm

Same to you VC, have a lovely day.. I too am happy- Our President did a HUGE thing.. one of many big things he’s accomplished in a short period of time.. his light continues to shine brighter and brighter.. no one can diminish that.

17. 35 V C prezOfan2
    May 5, 2011 at 12:37 pm

‘The myth would die with the man.’

I may have said this before, but I’m not in the least impressed by Eugene Robinson’s Pulitzer credentials. The myth will die with the man, without the gory pictures on display, Eugene. It’ll just take time.

18. May 5, 2011 at 12:58 pm

The thing that astonished me the most about Halperin’s remarks in the clip above is his assertion that Barack Obama “fails to inspire” the American people. Is he blind? What is he talking about — the disease that is hard line Republicans? They are the ones that are not inspired? The president can’t unite congress? He doesn’t lay any blame on the diseased congress, infected with hate for a black man?

Congress is full of mostly men, too many of them elderly, who are still living in the past. They all need antibiotic shots — for the disease of race hatred. Women hatred, too. I sometimes think of what Hillary would have had to go through had she been elected president, not even taking in consideration how she handled the job, but just for being a woman.

Why are we lumbered with these poor excuses for statesmen? And I include Mark Halperin with them.

So he doesn’t inspire, is that so, Halperin? Perhaps you should have a good crack across the back of your head from this greatgrandmother to unscramble your brains.