May

morning

New from Pete Souza:

President Obama greets 9/11 families and elected officials from the New York area at Ground Zero

A signed message from President Obama is seen on a pamphlet during his meeting with 9/11 family members

Paul Krugman: After reading John Yoo’s attack on the president for not taking Osama alive and bringing him to Gitmo, I thought I might take a minute to explain something I sometimes say … the Bush administration saw torturing people as a plus, not a cost … not because they’re sadists, but because it suited their self-image.

From day one of the War on Terror (TM), it was clear that the Bush people reveled in the notion that they were tough guys, willing to Do What Needs to be Done. They were all wannabe Kiefer Sutherlands. Far from showing qualms about suspending the rule of law and using torture to extract information, they obviously enjoyed the idea that they were willing to go all the way, unlike those wimpy liberals…..

…And so they are, inevitably, deeply upset that someone who isn’t a tough guy by their standards seems to be doing a better job of getting the terrorists than they did.

Krugman: ….isn’t the GOP showing a stunning lack of grace in this whole affair?

It’s particularly striking if you remember the atmosphere from 2001 through until 2004 or so. Back then, any hint of criticism of Bush’s War on Terror, or even a failure to show sufficient enthusiasm for his leadership, led to accusations that you were unpatriotic and somehow warped by your partisanship.

Now Obama actually gets his man – and does it in what seems to have been a truly gutsy fashion – and all we get is carping.

I can’t actually say I’m surprised, but it’s still kind of amazing.

It’s hard to believe this was only a week ago …. think of all that has happened since:

Michael Hirsh (National Journal): Ever so gingerly, even as they praised President Obama’s success against Osama bin Laden, some former senior Bush administration officials have sought to take a little credit for the mission themselves. Former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice, interviewed by MSNBC this week, even called the operation “a good story for continuity across two presidencies.”

That assessment couldn’t be further from the truth.

Behind Obama’s takedown of the Qaida leader this week lies a profound discontinuity between administrations – a major strategic shift in how to deal with terrorists. From his first great public moment when, as a state senator, he called Iraq a “dumb war,” Obama indicated that he thought that George W. Bush had badly misconceived the challenge of 9/11. And very quickly upon taking office as president, Obama reoriented the war back to where, in the view of many experts, it always belonged. He discarded the idea of a “global war on terror” that conflated all terror threats from al-Qaida to Hamas to Hezbollah. Obama replaced it with a covert, laserlike focus on al-Qaida and its spawn….

…Former Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld once famously lamented that “we lack metrics to know if we are winning or losing the global war on terror.” Neither he nor other senior members of the Bush administration ever developed those “metrics.” But by any metric, Barack Obama has just tallied a major victory.

Full article here

***

David Rothkopf (Foreign Policy): …..let’s try to put this week in perspective by highlighting a few winners, a few losers…The winners who have thus far emerged from the shootout at the Abbottabad corral include, in reverse order of the size of the win:

….The Families of U.S. Service Men and Women in Afghanistan: They’re coming home sooner now. This was their mission too. You can hardly beat that … and because there are so many of you, that’s why you edge out those folks at the pointy end of the spear who completed the mission.

….Barack Obama: His finest hour. Decisive. Cool. Able to both strike hard and do so with the kind of American values and restraint that elevated the mission and stands in stark contrast to the bombast and recklessness of some of his predecessors.

….The Planet Earth: A day without bin Laden is a better day for everyone.

Ah, very nice redesign at Steve Benen’s site

Washington Post: …..When bin Laden’s corpse was laid out, one of the Navy SEALs was asked to stretch out next to it to compare heights. The SEAL was 6 feet tall. The body was several inches taller.

After the information was relayed to Obama, he turned to his advisers and said: “We donated a $60 million helicopter to this operation. Could we not afford to buy a tape measure?”

Daily Texan: Meet Rick Perry. He’s been the governor of the great state of Texas since Dec. 21, 2000. Meet Hannah Treadway. She’s my little sister, who lives with my family in Oakville, Ontario, Canada and was born on July 20, 1999.

Gov. Perry and Little Sister Hannah seem like they have a lot in common – strong leadership skills, great hair and my best guess is that they’re both into watching cartoons.

…I decided it would be a fun exercise to test how closely they align or differ on policy issues …  I’m going to write out the question I asked my little sister, and then I’m going to put two answers. One will be the response my little sister gave me, and one will be a quote from our governor….

Question 1: What is Juarez, Mexico?

Answer 1: “It’s a place in Mexico. My dad says it’s not very safe.”

Answer 2: “Juarez is reported to be the most dangerous city in America.”

If you guessed that it was Hannah’s dad that told her that Juarez is not very safe, you are correct. In February, Perry delivered the second answer to reporters, but in fairness, it was an honest mistake that any politician who doesn’t speak in front of the media very often could have made. Now, moving on to question two.

Question 2: Who is responsible for the BP oil spill?

Answer 1: “From time to time there are going to be things that occur that are acts of God that cannot be prevented.”

Answer 2: “BP.”

Answer 2 belongs to my naive 11-year-old sister, who in her youth thinks oil companies that skirt regulations are accountable for their mistakes. Fortunately our governor, in all his experience, has enough perspective to realize that it could have just been God’s fault.

Full article here

17 Responses to “morning”

1. 1 mtmarilyn
    May 7, 2011 at 9:06 am

Wow that is an amazing article about Perry. I could never understand how a supposedly great state like Texas could elect him but then they had Bush.

2. 2 mtmarilyn
    May 7, 2011 at 9:11 am

Good morning everyone. Now is the time to start assimilate all this great President has done this last 2 weeks. I am in awe.

3. 3 Abena
    May 7, 2011 at 9:34 am

Good Morning…
    I have enjoyed all the articles posted…
    To John Yoo:- Clearly torture and loud public pronouncements don’t get the job done. Instead an intellectually focused covet operation does (not only that but it wins the ultimate prize).
    To Condi: – You should be ashamed of yourself lying and trying to steal
    To Rumsfeld:- It helps if you take the “measurements” in the correct country

I think Rothkopf’s assessment was simply brilliant and as for the Daily Texan’s comparison of Rick Perry to his 11 year old sister… (LOL) the best perspective yet…

Thanks for a great start to quiet Saturday … I think I will go back to read them all again

4. 4 SUE DUVALL SMITH
    May 7, 2011 at 9:54 am

WHAT PAUL KRUGMAN NEEDS TO DO IS STOP ‘FLIP-FLOPPING’ ON OUR PRESIDENT. SO MANY MARCH FORWARD WITH PRAISE FOR THE PRESIDENT BECAUSE OF ‘OBL’S’ DEATH….PEOPLE NEED TO SUPPORT THIS PRESIDENT ‘ALL THE TIME’ BECAUSE HE IS AND HAS BEEN A ‘GREAT LEADER’ ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL THE TIME. AS FOR RICK PERRY…NEVER HAVE I SEEN SUCH A DIVISIVE GOVERNOR IN THIS STATE OF THE UNION. THIS MAN IS NOT A CHRISTIAN BY TRUE CHRISTIAN STANDARDS. PERRY LACKS COMPASSION FOR ALL PEOPLE AND HE CERTAINLY DOES NOT KNOW WHAT THW WORD ‘TRUTH’ MEANS. HE DISGUSTS ME!

• 5 Marlz
      May 7, 2011 at 10:05 am

You are so right Sue. Its very rare that I despise anyone, but he would be at the top of my list!

5. 6 Charmed
    May 7, 2011 at 10:04 am

This is why I continue to support President Obama…..he’s focused and he didn’t have a week long ticker tape parade for getting Osama….he got him,paid his respects to the families and kept it moving. Gotta love his dedication.

• 7 SUE DUVALL SMITH
      May 7, 2011 at 10:09 am

THIS PRESIDENT IS SO AMAZING AND SUCH A WONDERFUL EXAMPLE OF LEADERSHIP IN THIS COUNTRY. WHEN I THINK OF THE 8 YEARS WE SOMEHOW SURVIVED THE BUSH BULLY PULPIT…I KNOW IN MY HEART THAT THE GOOD LORD WAS WATCHING OVER AMERICA. I THANK GOD EACH DAY FOR PRESIDENT OBAMA…OF COURSE…HE’S MINE…YOU’LL HAVE TO GET YOUR OWN!…:)LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!

6. 8 edwina
    May 7, 2011 at 10:11 am

Funny comment from Obama:

In the White House Situation Room on Sunday night, the president and his national security team watched a soundless video feed of the raid.

7. 9 V C prezOfan2
    May 7, 2011 at 12:00 pm

“Good morning to you. Good morning to you.
    Good morning dear Chipsticks and family.
    Good morning to you.”

I can afford to sing out loud because my offspring isn’t home to tell me ‘That’s not how it goes!’ [He’s musical and as a youngster was always pointing out that I wasn’t singing what everybody else was. :)

8. 10 Fred
    May 7, 2011 at 12:58 pm

Last week it was “Obama’s war, he owns it now and needs to take responsibility for that and stop blaming Bush for everything”.

This week it is “Bush’s war, Obama would not have got Bin Laden if it weren’t for things Bush did”.

As people forget the events of this week and bad things start to accumulate in the media about Afghanistan it will once again be “Obama’s war, he owns it now and needs to take responisibility….blah blah yada yada”.

9. 11 Dorothy Rissman
    May 7, 2011 at 1:02 pm

Chipsticks, I thought the new Benin site was fine. Comments from his regulars–this suck, I hate it, change this immediately. Poor steve. Whiny babies WTSB.

When it comes to Krugman, I look at this as good thing. I am not a big fan of his. He has ruthlessly attacked the president in personal ways. Yet, I will accept and value the fact that he has indeed praised the president.

• 12 Fred
      May 7, 2011 at 1:10 pm

They are like sharks. They only attack when they smell blood. This week the pundocracy is in praise mode. If you notice the few who critisize are being largely ignored and losing some of their credibility. But as soon as they smell blood again they will all be back at it just as sure as the son rises.

It’s all just a big game and these people do it for a living. Basically you praise when the subject has strength and you attack when there is weakness. I despise them all. I believe you have to have rather poor morals to do a job like that.

10. 13 Carol
    May 7, 2011 at 1:27 pm

On Osama’s computer treasure trove:

• 14 SUE DUVALL SMITH
      May 7, 2011 at 3:03 pm

YOU’D BETTER BELIEVE…THERE’S ALOT OF ROBES RUNNING IN THE WIND ABOUT NOW…OOOOOOOOH…I WOULD SURELY LOVE TO BE READING THAT TREASURE TROVE!!!!!! THANK GOD…OUR GREAT ‘OPS’ HAS DEFINITELY EARNED THE PLEASURE!!!!!

11. 16 V C prezOfan2
    May 7, 2011 at 1:27 pm

A very good read, Chipsticks; thank you! I went to each article, fixing myself a huge snack in between and having a little ‘reading party’. A nice, fun Saturday morning activity!

Hope everyone is enjoying their day!

12. 17 Dorothy Rissman
    May 7, 2011 at 1:28 pm

Another thought, the David Rothkopf article was fascinating. A nice run down on the reality of the week. I was not aware of that site. It might be a good place to bookmark. Thanks chips.

RSS OFA