May

night everyone

First Lady Michelle Obama participates in the “Pit Crew Challenge” station during an event with the President’s Council on Fitness, Sports and Nutrition on the South Lawn of the White House, May 9, 2011. The First Lady visited seven activity stations during the event, which helped promote both the Let’s Move! and Joining Forces initiatives. (Official White House Photo by Chuck Kennedy)

MediaLife: “60 Minutes” landed a big scoop with President Barack Obama’s first interview after the killing of Osama bin Laden, and it delivered a big audience.

“Minutes” averaged 13.8 million total viewers at 7 p.m. last night, according to Nielsen overnights, up 29 percent over the 10.7 million who tuned in last week.

The interview was easily Sunday night’s most-watched show on broadcast, with the No. 2 program, ABC’s “Desperate Housewives,” drawing about 4 million fewer viewers.

There have been endlessly frustrating problems with the OFA site since I started ‘The Obama Diary’ fundraising effort for Obama/Biden 2012 yesterday, lots of you have had trouble with the link – I’ve contacted OFA to let them know about the problems, but the automated reply said it could be a “few weeks” before they get back to me. Insane – people want to donate to the campaign and they can’t!

Any way, thank you so much to those who persevered and helped bring the total up to $830 today, just $170 short of the target. If any of you could manage $10 or more to bring it to $1,000 that would be great, but absolutely no worries if you’re not in a position to donate – as I said before, these are really difficult times for many of you.

This in the link – I hope it works!

President Obama made this statement to mark the 63rd anniversary (according to the Jewish calendar) of the founding of the state of Israel:

“Sixty-three years ago, when Israel declared its independence, the dream of a state for the Jewish people in their historic homeland was finally realized. On that same day, the United States became the first country in the world to recognize the State of Israel.

As Israelis celebrate their hard-won independence, it gives me great pleasure to extend the best wishes of the American people to the people of Israel and to honor their remarkable achievements over the past six decades. Our two nations share a unique and unbreakable bond of friendship that is anchored in common interests and shared values, and the United States’ unwavering commitment to Israel’s security.

I have every confidence that the strong relationship between our countries will grow deeper with each passing year. This is a period of profound change in the Middle East and North Africa, as people across the region courageously pursue the path of dignity and self-governance. Just as I know that Israel will always be one of our closest allies, I believe that the region can be more peaceful and prosperous when its people are able to fulfill their legitimate aspirations.

We will continue our efforts with Israel and others in the region to achieve a comprehensive peace, including a two-state solution, and to working together toward a future of peace, security and dignity for the people of Israel and all the people of the region. I offer my best wishes to President Peres, Prime Minister Netanyahu, and the people of Israel as they celebrate their 63rd Independence Day. “

***

***

***

Classless:

GOPolitico: Rick Perry has declined the White House’s request that he greet President Obama when Air Force One lands in Texas on Tuesday, the Republican governor’s office says.

“We did try to arrange something with the White House,” said Lucy Nashed, a spokeswoman for Perry. “They asked us if we wanted to meet him out on the tarmac in El Paso, but we weren’t able to work anything out, based on the fact that it’s probably going to be a 10-minute greeting.”

***

***

See you tomorrow ;-)

26 Responses to “night everyone”

1. 1 JoAnn
    May 9, 2011 at 10:17 pm

Rick Perry is an embarrassment. Trust me, I live deep in the heart of very red Texas.

2. May 9, 2011 at 10:20 pm

Really Rick? You can’t take time outta your busy day fixing your hair to meet the President?

Petty.

I too live in Texas and unfortunately feel his hot breath all too often.

3. 3 P
    May 9, 2011 at 10:24 pm

Good night all :) . It was a terrific day today and each and everyone of you contributed to that! Sleep tight :) . See ysll tomorrow please God!

4. 4 sherijr
    May 9, 2011 at 10:33 pm

congrats on your most excellent fundraising chipsticks. And to Rick Perry- I’m guessing POTUS’s day will shine far brighter without your presence – thanks very much Gov. NoClass. Time for Texas to go BLUE, seriously.

5. 5 Suzanne
    May 9, 2011 at 10:35 pm

The link you have in this post is a log in link

This is the link you had before and it works

I had problems when I used Google Chrome and wanted to donate to OFA about a month ago. I opened Internet Explorer and was able to donate. I think sometimes the updates aren’t in sync with ad-ins or other things that might cause problems.

Lots of good stuff in this post! I’m sleepy and have this to look forward to tomorrow.

Night, Chipsticks

6. May 9, 2011 at 10:36 pm

From my twitter timeline:

DAMN..!! Pres. #Obama & #NavySeals had Back-up plan that involved fighting their way out of Bin Laden compound http://nyti.ms/lk6UU8 #news

7. 8 sherijr
    May 9, 2011 at 10:41 pm

Wow I hadn’t seen that video at the end before- wonderful! I really enjoyed that, thanks for posting it. Love the part at the end where Daddy Obama is sitting in the chair and the family is in fast motion all around him, really cute.

8. 9 anniebella
    May 9, 2011 at 10:50 pm

The President is just being nice. It will not bother him one bit if Perry doesn’t show up. He will go about doing his job. I am amazed that Texas continue to elect something like Perry. That lady, the Republican Senator who ran against Perry would have made a better Governor.

9. 10 Doris
    May 9, 2011 at 10:59 pm

Tried to donate to your fundraiser on Sunday Chips, but was unable too. Hopefully, they will work out some these problems. When they do, look for a hit from me. Thanks for all you do. I really appreciate this blog.

10. 12 GGail
    May 9, 2011 at 11:18 pm

Good night Chipsticks – another GREAT day thanks to you. Doris – try the link that Chipsticks provided, you should be successful going that route. I’m looking for that $1,000 mark any day now. May God bless you one and all.

• 13 Doris
      May 10, 2011 at 12:41 am

I tried that one too. I can input all of my personal data, but there is no submit button at the bottom of the page. Some fundraiser pages have it and some don’t. It may be my browser. I have Internet Explorer, but I don’t think it is me. I have let the moderators know. I think others are experiencing this as well. Hopefully, they fix it soon. Not good for the campaign. We’re a little frustrated over there.

• 14 sherijr
        May 10, 2011 at 1:56 am

I had problems donating last night also. What you do in internet explorer to ‘submit’ your donation is just to hit enter on your keyboard. I know it’s weird and needs to be fixed but it worked. I hope this helps a bit.

11. 15 anniebella
    May 9, 2011 at 11:43 pm

I just was in the mood to listen to Beyonce sing that song “At Last”, oh yea, and I watch POTUS and FLOTUS have their first dance. To me that is still so special to watch after all this time. Good night.

• 16 Walking on Sunshine
      May 10, 2011 at 12:06 am

That is beautiful. I have been a regular visitor to that performance on Youtube the last couple of years. It always makes me feel better no matter what :)

12. 17 V C prezOfan2
    May 9, 2011 at 11:44 pm

Another good day at Chippy’s! Thanks to everyone who stopped by . Good night, sleep tight, rest well till we meet again! :lol:

13. 18 Walking on Sunshine
    May 10, 2011 at 12:04 am

What an ignorant pig the governor of Texas is…..disgusting!!

14. May 10, 2011 at 1:47 am

Very clever, Mr. President, very clever.

In one sentence he has expressed that Israel would be more safe if it would allow the (unmentioned) Palestinian people fulfill their aspirations.
    :-)

15. 20 anniebella
    May 10, 2011 at 4:40 am

Did you hear how people from the Bush Aministration is trying to take credit for finding Osama bin Laden? Lead by that jackass of a former VP, Dick Cheney. They are trying to say it was the information they got from waterboarding, and Cheney have the nerve to think that this President should continue using waterboarding. It will never happen, not under this President. But Cheney and the others are trying to re-write history as Lawrence O’Donnell like to say. They can’t stand the fact that this President got the job done, and their man had eight years and couldn’t get bin Laden. But I find myself wondering just how hard were they looking for him. I feel if they had stayed out of Iraq, and focus on bin Laden they might had caught him years ago. Now they want to give Bush credit. He don’t deserve any. And I love it that it is eating these Republicans up to see that President Obama got rid of Osama bin Laden. Good!!!!

16. 21 SUE DUVALL SMITH
    May 10, 2011 at 5:29 am

RICK PERRY IS A BIASED,RACIST,JUDGEMENTAL INDIVIDUAL…HE HAS NO BUSINESS GOVERNING THE PUBLIC SECTOR WHICH INCLUDES ‘ALL’ PEOPLE. HE WOULD BE A GREAT ASSET TO A LIMBAUGH FAMILY REUNION. OUR PRESIDENT WAS GRACIOUS ENOUGH TO ASK. PERRY…AS USUAL…DEMONSTRATES HIS TRUE CHARACTER.

17. 22 SUE DUVALL SMITH
    May 10, 2011 at 5:31 am

I THINK I’M GOING TO RENAME OUR ‘FIRST LADY’….WONDER WOMAN!

18. 23 SUE DUVALL SMITH
    May 10, 2011 at 6:32 am

I LOVE THAT PICTURE OF THE PRESIDENT AT THE WAILING WALL….ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL.

19. 24 Asher in Boston
    May 10, 2011 at 12:11 pm

Just donated, but I am not sure whether it worked. Hope it did.

• May 10, 2011 at 12:13 pm

Just saw it Asher and sent a thank you through the OFA site, you’re a STAR – appreciate it so much. ;-)

• 26 Asher in Boston
        May 10, 2011 at 12:19 pm

Good. Wasnt sure it did. You are welcome and will make it monthly God willing. But the kudos go to you Chipsticks for all your hard work to inform us and you supporting the President with all you have got. Thank you again for this wonderful site.

RSS Steve Benen