May

‘pursue your dreams and give something back’

LA Times (March, 1990): Barack Obama stares silently at a wall of fading black-and-white photographs in the muggy second-floor offices of the Harvard Law Review. He lingers over one row of solemn faces, his predecessors of 40 years ago. All are men. All are dressed in dark-colored suits and ties. All are white.

It is a sobering moment for Obama, 28, who in February became the first black to be elected president in the 102-year history of the prestigious student-run law journal.

The post, considered the highest honor a student can attain at Harvard Law School, almost always leads to a coveted clerkship with the U.S. Supreme Court after graduation and a lucrative offer from the law firm of one’s choice.

Yet Obama, who has gone deep into debt to meet the $25,000-a-year cost of a Harvard Law School education, has left many in disbelief by asserting that he wants neither.

“One of the luxuries of going to Harvard Law School is it means you can take risks in your life,” Obama said recently. “You can try to do things to improve society and still land on your feet. That’s what a Harvard education should buy – enough confidence and security to pursue your dreams and give something back.”

After graduation next year, Obama says he probably will spend two years at a corporate law firm, then look for community work. Down the road, he plans to run for public office…..

Full article here

Vanity Fair (June 1990): The new president of the Harvard Law Review was somewhat taken aback by the deluge of media coverage that followed hard on the heels of his election. The New York Times ran a “First Black” headline, which probably won’t be the last time that label is affixed to Barack Obama.

The twenty-eight-year-old law student says he wasn’t going to run for the office until a black friend talked him into it. “There’s a door to kick down,” the friend argued, “and you’re in a position to kick it down.”

The job does give him a great forum, but there’s a trade-off. “I like to read novels, listen to Miles Davis,” he says. “I don’t get to do that anymore. I don’t get dates anymore.” Still, he’s philosophical, even briskly cheerful, about his lost leisure….

…..he responds warily to the assumption that he himself will run for office. “If I go into politics it should grow out of work I’ve done on the local level, not because I’m some media creation.”  Though, as media creations go, he’d be a pretty good one.

33 Responses to “‘pursue your dreams and give something back’”

1. May 14, 2011 at 11:39 am

Its so fascinating to read old articles about him and to see these old pictures. It completely debunks the myth that he just came out of nowhere.

2. 4 obamalia
    May 14, 2011 at 11:50 am

“If I go into politics it should grow out of work I’ve done on the local level, not because I’m some media creation.” His life values have stayed consistent and reflect how he continues to govern. Truly a one of a kind Leader of the Free World!!! Thanks for these archives Chips!

• 5 obamalia
      May 14, 2011 at 12:04 pm

From: A Singular Woman: The Untold Story of Barack Obama’s Mother by Janny Scott

p. 354 He credited the temperament he was born with at and the fact that “from a very early age, I always felt I was loved and that my mother thought I was special.”

Looking back, he said, many of his life choices were informed by her example. His decicion to go into public service , he said, grew out of the values she instilled – “a sense that the greatest thing you can do in the world is to help somebody else, be kind, think about issues like poverty and how you can give people a greater opportunity. . .”

• 6 Betty's Girl
        May 14, 2011 at 2:25 pm

Obamalia, I bought A Singular Woman last weekend. The bookstore I purchased it from said they are on back order for the book. It sold like crazy and they were surprised when I found a copy of it. I have a ways to go but so far it is a fascinating read.

• 7 HZ
        May 14, 2011 at 2:53 pm

Hi Obamalia I am reading A Singular Woman: The Untold Story of Barack Obama’s Mother by Janny Scott, and I am enjoying the read. I encourage all who want to get an inside view of this wonderful man, our President, please pick up a copy of this book. It is a wonderful read. I can see daily why he operates in the manner that he does. I knew there had to be a very special person within him to be such a great man, son, father, and now our 44th President, and that is his Mother and grandparents. We certainly have a beautiful gift, and I pray that we will treat him with respect, love, and work hard for his re-election. We will probably never get another President in our lifetime like Barack H. Obama. Let us enjoy this great gift and not allow this ‘ugly and hateful atmosphere take away our hard work in getting President Obama elected and now re-elected in 2012. Get the book, my dear family here. You will enjoy it very much.

3. 8 Ceb
    May 14, 2011 at 11:51 am

He has always been who he is with the same ideas, values, character and aspirations. I always recognize him in his early interviews. What a rarity! Someone in public office who says what he means and is exactly what you see. The reason that some cannot believe in his integrity because they have never seen it in political life,especially in those who have been successful in it. PBO is in a class all by himself. The republican contenders are Lilliputians to his Gulliver.

• 9 vitaminlover
      May 14, 2011 at 12:23 pm

Spot on!!!

• 10 lisa
      May 14, 2011 at 12:28 pm

Absolutely!

• 11 Chi
      May 15, 2011 at 4:19 am

Before President Obama came along there was a sanctioned political playbook…

A playbook that excused and even elevated and celebrated all that is callous, wicked, exploitative and deceitful about people…

Those who played it best were admired and touted – nevermind that they excelled doing what we would despise most in normal everyday people and encounters…

Then along came Barack Obama who turned that horrid playbook on its head, leaving the profiteers and the propagators of the status quo reeling…

He’s brought decency, integrity, dignity, compassion, true principles and values and an intrinsic wisdom and brilliance tempered with empathy and grace…

This is indeed an inspiring and extraordinarily spectacular man and a once in a generation leader…

4. 12 Lisa
    May 14, 2011 at 11:52 am

To all doubters(outside TOD): this man is the right man to run this country, he was born for it.

5. 15 Fred
    May 14, 2011 at 11:55 am

Yup, sounds like ‘affirmative action’ at work to me. Chump and the other smear merchants of his ilk should all be ashamed of themselves.

• 16 Lisa
      May 14, 2011 at 12:02 pm

Fred, how’s your computer? I saw you’re earlier post and I wanted to commiserate. I hate when somethings wrong with mine, I always feel as though I can’t function without it. Hopefully “it gets better soon, (Chipsticks, earlier this morning).”

6. 17 m
    May 14, 2011 at 11:59 am

These were both great Chips. Thank You!

I was dismayed though that the link to the Los Angeles Times article unfortunately shared the screen on page 3 with an advertisement to “Repeal Obamacare?”

7. 19 professorx10
    May 14, 2011 at 12:01 pm

That is a gorgeous picture of Pres Obama.
    Thanks Chips I will add this to my delicious collection of Obama pictures
    *Sigh*

8. 21 Asher in Boston
    May 14, 2011 at 12:07 pm

i have always been intrigued by this President. Now, and in his younger years. What an inspiration and a right role model for the human kind, what ever age group. I am always in AWE of this gentleman.

9. 22 Me4obama
    May 14, 2011 at 12:34 pm

Thanks so much chipsticks for these great reads. Am here with my volunteer colleagues from OFA taking a lunch break. These articles are the reasons why I forego my weakend R & R and instead go out in the community to orginize and inform people what a great man PBO is. I know how blessed I am to Love and believe in this great man and I will give and do anything for his re election. Off I go, will update you guys how the mood and energy is, out here. Don’t forget to kneel down for a few minutes to worship his BRAINS.

10. May 14, 2011 at 12:57 pm

Is he drop dead gorgeous or what?

11. 28 kelly
    May 14, 2011 at 1:19 pm

I love love love this man.

12. 29 Betty's Girl
    May 14, 2011 at 2:28 pm

I loved the articles! I always thought he was already with Michelle when he was editor of the law review.

13. 30 HZ
    May 14, 2011 at 3:00 pm

Chipsticks, you give us so much to think about, and to enjoy about our President. Thank you so much for all that you do to make this a great place to come and get news, read such wonderful articles, and share our respectful thoughts. You are another person for us to give thanks for in our lives. You lift us up and you do not allow the ugly things to get in your way. I want to say, “Thank you so very much, Chipsticks.” Blessings to you.

14. 31 SUE DUVALL SMITH
    May 14, 2011 at 4:31 pm

ONE OF THE MOST BEAUTIFUL ATTRIBUTES ABOUT THIS PRESIDENT IS HIS SELFLESS DEDICATION TO OTHERS BEFORE HIMSELF. WE HAVE A PRESIDENT WHO IS PROVIDING AMERICANS WITH ONE OF THE GREATEST TEACHABLE MOMENTS IN LIFE…GIVING BACK AND CARING FOR ALL OF THOSE AROUND YOU. THIS IS THE TYPE OF ‘INNER PEACE’ ALL NATIONS NEED TO HAVE.

• 32 Luci1119
      May 14, 2011 at 6:42 pm

Yes Indeed, he’s REMARKABLE, simply BEAUTIFUL Inside and Out. I just can’t say enough positive things about this Great Man. I just thank you Lord for choosing him for our Country, to God be the Glory.