May

re-writing history?

Justin Elliott (Salon): Jackie Gingrich Cushman has decided to resurface the most damaging anecdote of her father’s political career: that Newt Gingrich demanded his first wife hash over details of their divorce while she was stricken with cancer in a hospital bed. Cushman suggests in a new column that the story is false.

But Cushman’s column, titled “Setting the Record Straight,” is directly at odds with the testimony of her mother from just a few years after the 1980 incident … the column is likely part of a conscious inoculation effort. Cushman writes a syndicated conservative political column and recently co-authored a book with her father.

Cushman doesn’t offer much in the way of details, besides saying that she was present during that 1980 hospital visit and that the media has repeated unspecified “untruths”… here is what Newt’s wife (also called Jackie) told the Washington Post in a Jan. 3, 1985, profile:

He walked out in the spring of 1980 and I returned to Georgia. By September, I went into the hospital for my third surgery. The two girls came to see me, and said Daddy is downstairs and could he come up? When he got there, he wanted to discuss the terms of the divorce while I was recovering from the surgery … To say I gave up a lot for the marriage is the understatement of the year.”

Newt Gingrich’s spokesman, by the way, told me in March that Newt denies the “terms of the divorce” part of the story but acknowledges there was “an argument.”

The question becomes: Should we believe Gingrich’s wife from five years after the incident, or what his daughter claims 30 years later when Newt is gearing up for a presidential run?

Full article here

19 Responses to “re-writing history?”

1. 1 professorx10
    May 14, 2011 at 10:36 am

I bet you I can prove to you that FOX news is the mark of the beast.

Check this out.

F=6 letter of the alphabet which gives you 6
    O=15 letter of the alphabet which gives you 1+5=6
    X=24 letter of the alphabet which gives you 2+4=6

All together 666.

See I told yaw.
    lol

2. 7 anniebella
    May 14, 2011 at 10:57 am

She’s Newt’s daughter, that’s all that need to be said.

3. May 14, 2011 at 10:58 am

I would decide who to believe in the context of what we know about the man Newt Gingrich.

Along those lines, I’d simply point to what he told his second wife when she learned he was having an affair.

4. 11 anniebella
    May 14, 2011 at 11:01 am

Like father, like daughter. All this prove is that she knows how to lie like her lying racists womanizing daddy.

5. 12 fig8jam
    May 14, 2011 at 11:06 am

I believe the momma, Jackie!!

Little girl STILL trying to be ‘daddy’s girl’…I bet men walk all over her and that she is a sad imitation of a Stepford wife.

Which is why, she doesn’t wanna believe momma.

Afterall, her mom is living proof that being a doormat or Stepford wife don’t mean the man won’t cheat and then walk afterwards.

Poor Jackie the daugther, she needs therapy man…pining after a man who treats women as disposal sperm receptacles.

6. 13 SUE DUVALL SMITH
    May 14, 2011 at 11:25 am

I HOPE THE PRESIDENT’S CAMPAIGN DOES NOT ENTER INTO THESE CANDIDATE’S MARRIAGES…AS MUCH AS I DISLIKE THE NEWT…FIGHTING THAT WAY IS NOT THE WAY TO GO. WE ARE BETTER THAN THAT…AND CERTAINLY OUR AWESOME PRESIDENT IS BETTER THAN THAT. HE’S ON THE HIGHER ROAD OF ETHICS…HE WON’T NEED TO TRAVEL THE DUMPSTER! AKA…WE DO NOT HAVE TO GO TO THEIR LEVEL. ACTUALLY…THE LORD WILL TAKE CARE OF ‘THE NEWT’…DON’T FORGET…WHAT GOES AROUND COMES AROUND!…:)

7. 14 Asher in Boston
    May 14, 2011 at 11:46 am

Oh, newt, what a joke. And I just read what he said yesterday in Georgia that ” President Obama is the most successful welfare President so far”. What a hateful, bigoted racist creature this loser is. newt, you will never be Potus. Period. So keep dreaming on and hating on the president, that is all the closer you will ever get to the position of the Presidency. Guess you haters will go bonkers after he is re- elected again in 2012.

• 15 m
      May 14, 2011 at 12:02 pm

I saw the sound bite of that and I was disgusted. What does he even mean by that? All I could think was he was trying to get his racist and ignorant ducks to get in a row behind him.

• 16 Luci1119
      May 14, 2011 at 6:12 pm

But they BONKERS now. Huh

8. 17 Claire
    May 14, 2011 at 2:34 pm

The wife’s story will always be true story. His daughter is pathetic to make such a ridiculous claim. Guess in the daughter’s case, the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree.

9. 18 HZ
    May 14, 2011 at 2:38 pm

Newt and all his type are pure hateful, political haters who try every Presidential Election to divide our country with this hate. It is so nice to have a President now who does not dwell on this hatefulness. I do not want my young people who see so much love, compassion, working together, forward honest thinking young people, and alive young people who want a loving and workable future for themselves to allow these race baiters and just plain old men ugly views to stop the wonderful embracement of this young, intelligent, honest, clear minded President from bringing you all to your beautiful deserving future. DO NOT ALLOW these haters to destroy your future. I am a senior who has lived in this country with mean-spirit people trying to stop with with the same kind of hate, but my precious mother and grandparents instilled into me a heart to move with purpose for goodness, education, and most of all respect and love people of all races. “Try to make your space on this earth a loving, peaceful, and respectful space. So my dear young people, you will be the good change in 2012. Do not allow the hunger ‘power grabbers’ grab you future which is so beautiful to watch as you all of every walk of life come together to make history so beautiful as you did in 2008. You can do it again, and we will do it again. We are surely better than this hate that we see daily. I am tired of it, but I pray for love , patience, and grace to cover my heart and my steps daily because you all deserve this from me and all the others who have drank from the fountains of this great country. So now let us hlep this loving President and Vice-President help you continue to erect more lovely fountains filled with inspiration, compassion, hard work, respect, educational opportunities, and a bright future for you all to have and hopefully raise some more beautiful children such as yourself. You Will Do It In 2012. No More Hating. We will NOT allow it to take over this country. Enough is surely Enough. NOT THIS TIME. They have met up with the wrong young people this time. NO MORE. I love you all. You give me so much hope. Thank you. I am sorry for the long rant, but I am tired of these ugly heads trying to take from you what is so pure and loving what you all are trying to do. Thank you so much.