May

‘birtherism is dead. long live otherism’

David Corn (Mother Jones): …..Mitt Romney … is still playing footsie with a popular conservative meme: Obama’s not really one of us …. (he) made a fierce pronouncement: The Obama Administration fundamentally does not believe in the American Experiment.…here was Romney saying that the president doesn’t understand the country he governs.

…Romney was engaging in what can be called otherism, a big cousin to birtherism. Otherism can be more virulent than birtherism (Obama is a secret Muslim socialist!) or more subtle (Hey, this Obama guy just doesn’t get America), but the main contention is that somehow he’s not a true American. It’s not a matter of his birth records, but of his attitude.

Newt Gingrich has helped set a benchmark for otherism …  Mike Huckabee said Obama’s “worldview is dramatically different than any president, Republican or Democrat, we’ve had… He grew up more as a globalist than an American.”

…Romney slammed Obama for apologizing for “American misdeeds, both real and imagined.” (Romney didn’t explain what was wrong with apologizing for real misdeeds.) His bottom-line message: Real Americans don’t apologize. And the obvious conclusion is that if Obama does apologize, he’s not a you-know-what.

…Birtherism is (was?) fundamentally about delegitimizing Barack Obama – proving him a complete fraud … Yet the birthers, dependent on conspiracy theories, were easily done in by basic facts…..

Yet otherism continues and thrives … The strategy is to fuel suspicion, not prove a conspiracy. But the goal is the same: to encourage voters to believe Obama is not a real American …Unlike birtherism, otherism remains quite useful to the Republicans. Not even the adults of the party can resist its ugly temptations.

Full article herereally worth reading

19 Responses to “‘birtherism is dead. long live otherism’”

1. 1 theo67
    May 19, 2011 at 12:44 pm

Romeny hasn’t learned from the fall of others. This will be his undoing. If he wants to peddle in race-baiting, he’ll go the way of all those before him. He’s an idiot – the country is made up of immigrants and increasing numbers of minorities. And the world has shrunk. The isolationist view is just not what people look for in a real president. If this is how he wants his last try for president to go, then so be it.

May 19, 2011 at 9:02 pm

Romney need to be careful, because those same racists folks he is reaching out to, by trying to imply that Obama is not one of us. Those same kind of people with their racists attitude are not so crazy about Mormans.

2. 3 Proud of Obama
    May 19, 2011 at 12:53 pm

This demonstrates just how desperate this elitist hypocrite is.

3. May 19, 2011 at 12:56 pm

No disrespect but we don’t need White folks explaining to us what is is to be outsiders in our own country which much blood was shed producing their wealth.

My mom has Italian (father) and French (mother) so I am bi or tri-racial. What annoys me is that it is expected that we must always , always ignore our history 9Blacks) and accept theirs.

Sorry for the rant but I see no journalists quote who can relate to the other half of me.

The biggest mistake liberals makes is uttering the words Ï know how you feel.” Or writing the tripe being passed as journalism by some on the far right and left.

They can no more explain what it is to be black in America ( David Corn) than I can what it is to be the queen of England as in Elizabeth R and not the many to be found in the SoHo district.

All of which is the equivalence of Mrs Huffington feeling the pain of the middle class / NOT!.

The things which will divide us shall remain but our ambitions or endeavors ought be to focus on what unites us and serves our people justly and treats them indeed as Equals.

I don’t see that of the Republicans (My party of twenty-five years, third generation) especially not since the Tundra Trailer Park pulled in and established shop at the RNC.

They have since day one attacked this president.

The far left are not too far behind either. They continually push this president for radical instant changes which are unrealistic. He is president no a king.

the left irritates me also when they say that the change they were not promised has not been delivered!

I submit they have not look closely enough at the occupant of the White House for starters and the governance of a pragmatic and sympathetic intelligent being.

We can only get there if we all work together, sensible moderate and liberal republicans like my family, Democrats and Independents who support this great man. BTW I do not use the word great lightly. I use it is context to the depth of historical analysis comparing his achievements to others.

Sorry for rant delete if you want. I am just frustrated with the far left …..

• 5 Fred
      May 19, 2011 at 12:59 pm

I loved your rant Team

• May 19, 2011 at 1:18 pm

Please accept my apologies for the rant and the mistakes in the writing. i think too fast and proof/reading? Forget it. I have no spell check either. : (

Excuses I know but want to go on record that I do know that grammatical and syntax errors exist.

I am thinking in Italain and writing in English. Difficult for me.

Ciao form expat celebrating 10 years abroad 1 November 2011.

• 7 ber6964
          May 19, 2011 at 2:45 pm

I liked your rant and I think you came across really well and I share your frustration. The PL and far Right have like children plugged their ears and screamed “I can’t hear you” for so long now that they are unreachable, but just maybe we can reach those whose minds are more open. HOPE such a small word for meaning so much!!

4. 8 Tien Le
    May 19, 2011 at 1:09 pm

I have trouble believing that the average American feels the need to continue to cast our President as ‘other’. President Obama is still overwhelmingly liked by Americans. That’s an enviable position for any politician.

One thing I’m seeing in the left-leaning blogosphere is reaction to all this as though every single strategy the Republicans try is assured success. It just isn’t so. They have no message right now. None. They shot their message wad in 2010 and look where it got them. Jacksonville has a Democrat for Mayor. Look out.

• 9 theo67
      May 19, 2011 at 1:13 pm

President Obama exhibits the traditional American values every day. He’s the only one calling for Americans to live up to those ideals, and reminding them of the founding documents and what was espoused and enacted as rights for all Americans. The likes of those on the right have likely never read those documents, and don’t have the right to speak the words found in those documents. They don’t have any real ideals or morals or values. If you ask me, President Obama is more a “real American” than any of them will ever hope to be, and he clearly deeply and sincerely believes in what this country is supposed to stand for.

5. 10 Mae who love our CIC
    May 19, 2011 at 1:15 pm

Mitt Romney should know how it feels to be unacceptable especially by his own party. So he can’t win on his own merit so he resorts to degradation of another. It won’t and it will not work. He will go the way of the last election.

6. 11 lisa
    May 19, 2011 at 1:49 pm

racism always finds a way out, to paraphrase one British Bard: racism by any other name is still racism. Screw ‘em.
    ps- in honor of your love for him, Tally :)

• May 20, 2011 at 12:14 am

Racism, like many aspects of our society, has evolved or transformed. We often hear that racism is less overt today, more covert and institutional. This is true. But I’m not sure if we are as adept as we should be at identifying the new forms racism takes on. An evolution that I’ve noticed is the idea that if something is seen as “Black,” or characteristic of African-American culture or perspective, it is deemed inferior or “radical.” Read on at http://thewaterwheel.wordpress.com/.

7. 13 Anonymous
    May 19, 2011 at 1:56 pm

So, Romney is concerned that President Obama is “other” I say bravo! OTHER than a rich, white, elitist male who has no clue about ordinary people. 95% of us in this country are OTHER!!! Racially, ethnically, religiously….you name it. Romney, a Mormon, should certainly remember what happened to his people in Nauvoo, Illinois and various places because they were the OTHER, and not jump on that bandwagon. Pure ignorance.

• 14 Audrey
      May 19, 2011 at 4:58 pm

Romney is hoping that the dumb and ignorant electorate will find his Mormonism less scarier than the deeper shade of PBO’s skin!
      This is what happens when a dishonest and flimsy “man” like Romney who has no meaningful policy plans to speak of, falls back on the default gop position of exploiting the prejudices and racial fears of the dregs of American society!

8. 15 Carolyn
    May 19, 2011 at 2:11 pm

It seeme to me that 95% of us are “other”……somehow…racially, religiously, socially, ethnically…..I’m glad President Obama is “other” I think we should make this something to be proud of! Don’t let the quell us with that.

9. 16 Carolyn
    May 19, 2011 at 2:13 pm

sorry…I really messed up that one. It should be “It seems to me”….and “Don’t let them quell us”

10. 17 majii
    May 19, 2011 at 2:47 pm

Would someone who didn’t believe in the “American Experiment” save the auto industry, deliver a platform that will provide health insurance for most Americans, or rid the world of the threat of OBL?

Romney is pandering to the basest of some Americans’ instincts because he has no political platform that would help the American people. Help the super rich and corporations? Yes, so imo, he is another GWB. The only difference is in physical appearance.

11. 18 SUE DUVALL SMITH
    May 19, 2011 at 3:52 pm

THE CARTOON….WELCOME TO LIFE ON MY STREET!………..ONLY ONE WORD NEEDED…NEANDERTHALS!

12. 19 cat48
    May 19, 2011 at 4:13 pm

Oh, Mittens, your Daddy was born in Mexico and your great-grandfather had 3 wives. You really don’t want to go there & talk about not understanding the “American Experience.” You could be devastated, just like the Chump was, if you keep this crap up! Just thinking about the thrashing is making me laugh. Can’t wait for the debates & this idiot play the American card.