May

‘we will not be quiet’

Reverend Cletus Kiley delivers the invocation to the 2011 Building Trades National Legislative Conference

25 Responses to “‘we will not be quiet’”

1. 2 Bobfr
    May 21, 2011 at 12:38 pm

“The spiritual leader of the labor movement …” INDEED!!

Haven’t seen anything quite like it.

As they say, ‘make it go viral’! We can only hope President Obama and his entire Administration will see this video soon.

I’ll repost at OFA.

Spread it!

Yes.We.Can. … DO.More.Together!

2. May 21, 2011 at 12:40 pm

Goodness! That was a prayer I can believe in! What a wonderful man is Father Kiley! Thank you VC.

3. 4 Dudette
    May 21, 2011 at 12:41 pm

To this I say: Amen, Amen and AMEN!

4. May 21, 2011 at 12:42 pm

indeed! indeed! Amen!

5. 6 Doris
    May 21, 2011 at 12:44 pm

Beautiful and full of truth!

6. 7 CTGirl
    May 21, 2011 at 12:46 pm

Wow indeed! Amen, Amen, Amen!

7. 8 UT Austin Liberal
    May 21, 2011 at 12:50 pm

This is powerful. Big Business (devious ones like the Koch Brothers), Main Stream Media (the ones in the pockets of devious big business who continually spread untruths), Republicans in Congress, and Republicans running in the 2012 Presidential race better be on the look-out. Like the Reverend said: “We Will Not Be Quiet.” We recognize falsehoods and We The People will no longer stand idly by.

8. May 21, 2011 at 1:00 pm

AMEN…AMEN…AMEN.. nothing else needs to be said…

9. 10 GGail
    May 21, 2011 at 1:07 pm

God Bless You Father Kiley!

10. 11 M
    May 21, 2011 at 1:12 pm

I hope this serves as a turning point or those of faith to speak up more for what is right and not just for what is republican/tea party!

11. 13 Lovepolitics2008
    May 21, 2011 at 1:15 pm

Hi everyone !

Folks, more and more I realize the wisdom of President Obama when he expressed his support and respect of unions but didn’t intervene directly and didn’t try to co-opt the movement for political gain. This is much more fundamental. The labor movement is the movement for the restoration of the middle-class. This is a movement that should go beyond any political party. Granted a strong labor movement will help the party who BELIEVES in unions and who is really trying to help the middle class. But in the long term, the GOP will have to be FORCED to RESPECT the workers of America TOO, so when they return (eventually) to power, they won’t try to destroy the middle-class once again.

12. 14 anniebella
    May 21, 2011 at 1:17 pm

That man was telling the truth. Thank you Rev. Kiley And I pray none of us are quiet, because what the Tea-Rupublican Party are trying to do is an outrage. Local, state, and federal.

13. 16 Fred
    May 21, 2011 at 2:01 pm

this guy ROCKS!

14. 17 Jennifer
    May 21, 2011 at 2:03 pm

Wo. Good man, this good father. I was also heartened recently by a letter released by Catholic scholars (or bishops, I forget which) protesting the Republican budget plan by saying that centuries of the Catholic magisterium required Catholics to “preference the poor.” I have never understood how anyone can call themselves a follower of Christ if they preference the rich.

15. 18 HZ
    May 21, 2011 at 2:22 pm

Now that was a powerful prayer. We just continue to pray for good and decent sincere spiritual men and women to surround our President, and I do believe in my heart that God will open their mouths to speak with spiritul righteousness for the hurting people. This Father prayed with faith and truth. Thank for posting this. This gave me hope this morning because I was praying this morning and crying out for God’s help for our President and the needs of the working people of our nation. Amen, Amen, and Amen.

16. 19 Asher in Boston
    May 21, 2011 at 2:43 pm

Such a meaningful, spot ot on prayer. Father God, have mercy on this country that has derailed off the tracks. And, yes, we will not be quiet.

17. 20 Titti
    May 21, 2011 at 3:04 pm

Hope more people would speak up. The Right Rev. keepimg it real.

18. 21 Sonjia Duncan
    May 21, 2011 at 4:33 pm

Thank you for not being quiet dear sir.
    We all need to lift our voices to spread this powerful prayer.

19. 22 EDP4BHO
    May 21, 2011 at 5:31 pm

I join the rest of you all in cheering the strong and encouraging words of the reverend, however I would offer then that he also fight to include people of color in the building trades unions. Too many black and Latino people, at least in my Philadelphia area, go without inclusion in building the very structures they in turn will use, be they hospitals, schools, banks, etc. The trades unions are still very old-boys network, although improving over the years. Much is still needed to break down barriers for full inclusion of all skilled workers to offer livable wages for any one who is willing to work hard. The fight continues on many fronts, but I do commend this man for speaking out. It is a necessary beginning.

20. 23 PoliticalJunkessa
    May 21, 2011 at 6:19 pm

Now that is religion I can believe in. That was all kinds of awesome! Exactly what is needed.

21. 24 Valerie
    May 21, 2011 at 10:30 pm

AMEN :-)

22. 25 lmrj
    May 23, 2011 at 7:42 am

I am so happy to see some of our spiritual leaders step forward and call the lies and deception what they are. The church should be the entity standing up for truth and speaking up for the poor and middle class being battered in this present climate. Thank you for posting. I SO LOVE coming to this site. It fills my positive spirit. :o)

RSS Steve Benen