May

afternoon in london

There’s a live BBC feed here – and occasional live streaming at CNN

President Obama walks with the Dean of Westminster the Very Reverend Dr. John Hall as he visits Westminster Abbey

Greeting members of the choir at Westminster Abbey

President Obama stands in prayer with first lady Michelle Obama during a wreath laying ceremony at Westminster Abbey

President Obama and his wife Michelle are greeted by British Prime Minister David Cameron and wife Samantha outside number 10 Downing Street

President Obama and British Prime Minister David Cameron visit a classroom at the Globe Academy in London

President Obama meets Leader of Britain’s opposition Labour Party Ed Miliband at Buckingham Palace

56 Responses to “afternoon in london”

1. 1 Proud of Obama
    May 24, 2011 at 10:47 am

I’m so loving my oppo research on rethugs pretender candidates. Looks like just 4% of Texans would vote for Rick Perry as president. (So tell me again, why they voted for him as governor?

“A new University of Texas/Texas Tribune poll finds just 4% of Texas Republicans say they’d vote for Gov. Rick Perry (R) for president if he decided to run.”

2. 3 isonprize
    May 24, 2011 at 10:52 am

Chipsticks, your coverage has been absolutely amazing!! These links are really making my day. Thank you and all the readers who have also posted links, pictures, etc. THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!

• May 24, 2011 at 11:06 am

Ah, thank you Isonprize, thrilled you’re enjoying the trip! Thank you again ;-)

• 5 nathkatun7
      May 24, 2011 at 10:24 pm

I totally second that, Isonprize. Chipstick’s coverage of the President in Ireland, and now in the U.K., has been extraordinary! I join you in thanking Chips for all the hard work she has done to keep us informed about this historical journey of President and Mrs Obama. I wish more Americans had a chance to visit this site to get away from the constant negativity peddled by the MSM.

3. 6 sherijr
    May 24, 2011 at 10:53 am

I see they have Netanyahu speaking before Congress today.. what happened to yesterday? I thought that was supposed to be his big speech. I also read Senator Reid is now sucking up and siding with Netanyahu- now that really ticks me off, frankly it disgusts me that he’s been invited to speak before our Congress period.

I read over at the bbc link that there were protests against President Obama in London by Islamists saying that He should be tried for “crimes against humanity” – anyone have a clue what thats about exactly?

4. 7 PoliticalJunkessa
    May 24, 2011 at 11:03 am

I think it’s funny/cute that the Obamas keep their hands clasped or behind their backs when with the Queen. Can’t have any more of that touch-feely stuff now, can we :-)?

5. 8 Proud of Obama
    May 24, 2011 at 11:04 am

Run, Christie, Run! New Jersey voters continue to fall out of love with lard bully.

“New Jersey voters are feeling grumpier about their state politics this month.
    According to the most recent poll by Fairleigh Dickinson University’s PublicMind,
    55% say the state is “on the wrong track,” up from 47% in April. Just 36% say
    the state is headed in the right direction, a decrease of 8 percentage points from
    April.

They’re not feeling great about Chris Christie either: 40% have a favorable
    opinion of him and 45% an unfavorable opinion, a reversal from 47% favorable
    and 41% unfavorable in April. And a third of voters (32%) say the governor is
    doing a “poor” job, up five points from April.
    Consequently, the governor’s approval rate is also down: Voters split evenly with
    44% approving and 44% disapproving, a significant decline from a robust 51%-
    41% approval rating in April, and the worst the governor has measured in his
    term.”

• 9 kelly
      May 24, 2011 at 11:33 am

Good they are smarting up. Its a disgrace that this vile person is governor of anywhere much less president of this fantastic nation. Our nation has the best president for our times and we don’t need no other.

Obama2012

6. 10 donna dem 4 obama
    May 24, 2011 at 11:04 am

Hey Chips…suddenly your page is back to normal for me. I have the white background and the title is back. I’m not sure why but I’ll take it for now.

• May 24, 2011 at 11:08 am

Donna, this is getting stranger and stranger! I got a reply from WordPress earlier about people’s ISPs, will post it later on. Hope the site KEEPS working for you! Thanks Donna.

• 12 dotster
        May 24, 2011 at 12:00 pm

I have the black background—just got so used to it—and it’s the same as BWD’s site—I didn’t even notice the change.

• 13 isonprize
        May 24, 2011 at 12:02 pm

Oh, there’s supposed to be a title? LOLOL I thought something looked different from when I checked in last week. I only have a red background where a “masthead” might be, for a about 3/4 of the page across the top. Then the last 1/4 is black, like the rest of the background. But the links and pic and comments come across fine, so I’m happy!

7. 15 PoliticalJunkessa
    May 24, 2011 at 11:07 am

Look at that motorcade! *claps hands like a little girl :-D*

• 16 PoliticalJunkessa
      May 24, 2011 at 11:50 am

Okay, once again I look silly — commenting on a pic that Chips laters pulls. LOL. :-D :-D :-D

8. 17 Jessica
    May 24, 2011 at 11:07 am

Hmm, what is the Prime Minister’s wife wearing. That looks like a grandma dress.

9. 21 anniebella
    May 24, 2011 at 11:09 am

The wind is trying to get our First Lady again, dog gone wind. She still looks great, we just don’t want her to show anything she don’t need to show.

10. 22 ZeeUK
    May 24, 2011 at 11:10 am

President Obama and his Lady are representing America ever so well, you all should be very proud!

11. 25 meta
    May 24, 2011 at 11:19 am

Here is a 360 view of the White Drawing Room in Buckingham Palace where I believe the Obamas will begin the reception before the official State Dinner:

12. 26 CherylBoston
    May 24, 2011 at 11:28 am

Fantastic Blog Chips! The Best One Out There! Will be following thoughout the entire O Campaign. Thank you so much for the “raw” material, which is most meaningful. Very Proud of our POTUS BO! Obviously the world at large is watching and embracing him as well. One Man, One World…fortunate to have Barack Hussein Obama in it during these times. Let’s all remember to keep our Vote alive for the Next Chapter in getting him reelected!

13. 27 Jessica
    May 24, 2011 at 11:31 am

Look at President Obama leading the Prime Minister into his own damn workplace. Reminds me of the pic with Barack O. and George B. in November before he was inaugurated.

• 28 PoliticalJunkessa
      May 24, 2011 at 11:34 am

I always notice that, too. He’s always taking charge…a slick little alpha-male gesture, lol.

• 29 lisalovesobama
      May 24, 2011 at 11:39 am

I was about to write about this too. He did the same thing with President Mary yesterday. He was very take charge in his verbals and non-verbals. I was like: You can take the man out of America, but you can’t take American out of the man. We are just naturally like that.
      ps- he’s cute though ;)
      pps-I was waiting for him to accidentally do it to the Queen too, hahahhahahahah ;)

14. 30 rikyrah
    May 24, 2011 at 11:33 am

1. you rock
    2. love our POTUS AND FLOTUS

15. 31 kittypat
    May 24, 2011 at 11:35 am

I usually don’t comment on fashion but FLOTUS looks stunning in the outfit she has on.

16. 32 Kels
    May 24, 2011 at 11:38 am

Love Michelle’s outfit. That deep blue and purple go together nicely.

17. 34 anniebella
    May 24, 2011 at 11:40 am

The First Lady have changed her outfit, once again she looks lovely, I can not wait to see what she wears tonight.

18. 35 Claire
    May 24, 2011 at 11:44 am

OFF TOPIC- The site is back to normal for me again. It works in all of my browsers… Firefox, Chroma, and Safari. The gremlins are working in my favor. I did not do anything differently today.

• May 24, 2011 at 11:52 am

Claire, that’s fantastic! Donna Dem had the same experience today, so I’m baffled all over again – I didn’t make any changes at all to the site. Will post later on what WordPress told me about ISPs, it might be that it’s a server problem that has been fixed. Thanks Claire.

19. 37 lisalovesobama
    May 24, 2011 at 11:51 am

I admit that I don’t know alot about Cameron’s wife, but she seems a bit……. anaemic, in terms of personality. Is it just because I don’t have any exposure to her or is this a British consensus? Look at her in the pictures, she seems so detached from it all.

20. 38 lisalovesobama
    May 24, 2011 at 11:51 am

anemic…gar! :?

21. 39 dotster
    May 24, 2011 at 12:04 pm

Laughed about Obama’s serious face while playing “table tennis”—ping pong. He plays to win.

22. 40 Titti
    May 24, 2011 at 12:09 pm

Just got home a few minutes ago. Went to the National Gallery as per itinerary but apparently that was scrapped as it was dead (no police etc). Took the bus and went to West Minster Abbey, all the vantage view points were taken but found a perch and waited for 45 minutes. The beast passed right in front of me – FLOTUS was sitting on the left and didn’t wave but POTUS on the other hand was busy smiling and waving. Got some pictures but they’re crap. Thought about waiting for them to come out and see if they would ‘walk’ the crowd but decided to go down Downing Street. Anyway, went to Whitehall and waited another thirty minutes and the beast comes along again and this time both of them were smiling and waving. Again all the vantage points had been taken. There was a big shout when they come at both sites. There was some sort of demonstration on the opposite side (Muslims for something). The police were so strict, you couldn’t even cross the road on Whithall at the lights in front of Downing street, you couldn’t walk along the pavement in front of Westminster Abbey etc.
    Anyway, I’m glad I went even though I couldn’t make out which colour FLOTUS was wearing or the colour of POTUS’s tie but the atmosphere was quite nice and friendly as people waited. Shame I couldn’t get to meet them. I wouldn’t do this for anyone else apart from the O’s and Mandela.
    Will send a couple of my pics to Chips but as mentioned they are crap (even if I say so myself).
    I do work but fortuitously, I had an appoint this morning so took the pm off.

23. 44 Titti
    May 24, 2011 at 12:10 pm

Oh forgot to mention that the beast must have been fixed as they used both of em. The entourage wasn’t as large as in Ireland.

24. 49 Titti
    May 24, 2011 at 12:20 pm

‘they?’

25. 50 Barb
    May 24, 2011 at 12:30 pm

I think that is a fabulous outfit FLOTUS is wearing. Such a striking combination of colors.

Samatha Cameron is a very interesting woman who dresses for herself and isn’t concerned what others think. She is an English Business Executive and her father is a Baron third descendant of one of the King Edwards. She grew up on 300 acre estate and attended private schools. She just had a baby last August and had a son with severe cerbral palsy and epilepsy who died when he was six years old. She was the only woman at the wedding of William and Kate who didn’t wear a hat. I think that fashion isn’t important to her and she is confident enough within herself that she dresses for comfort. I can’t say for sure but that is my take on her.

IF I was going to the wedding of royalty or having the US President and his wife over, I would be all jittery. Samatha is giving a barbeque for FLOTUS and military veterans at their 10 downing street but I don’t know what day.

I have to take this all back I just read that FLOTUS and Samatha were just named to a best dressed list last week. Well I hope you enjoyed her life story. lol

• 51 sherijr
      May 24, 2011 at 1:09 pm

Thanks for the history on Samantha, what a horrible sad loss for her- losing her 6 year old child. I would suspect that Michelle will have a special kindness toward her, knowing this.

26. 52 anniebella
    May 24, 2011 at 12:43 pm

Barb, Mrs. Cameron sounds alittle like Mrs. Obama. Mrs. Obama wears what she likes and I’m sure there are times when people say, oh she shouldn’t have that on, but Mrs. Obama wears what she likes and I love that about her. Mrs. Obama had a good education, she was working,she had a good job too. But she didn’t grow up on a 300 acre estate, she grew up on the south side of Chicago.

27. 53 M
    May 24, 2011 at 1:06 pm

Oh FLOTUS looks amazing! I’d love to order that blue and purple outfit for myself!

• 54 M
      May 24, 2011 at 1:15 pm

My birthday 40th birthday is fast approaching if anyone would like to order it for me…;)

• 55 P
        May 24, 2011 at 4:19 pm

Lol but I must agree Michelle is beyond gorgeous today!!!!!!!!! Damn she’s looking too good (in a good way)!!!

28. 56 anniebella
    May 24, 2011 at 1:58 pm

M, I think I’ll just stick with Happy Birthday. But thanks for the laugh.