May

morning in london

There’s a live BBC feed here – and occasional live streaming at CNN

President Barack Obama walks out to make a statement to reporters about tornado damage in the United States at Winfield House in London, May 24 – the President will visit Missouri on Sunday

President Obama speaks with Prince Charles as they leave Winfield House, the official residence of the United States ambassador, in Regent’s Park, London

First lady Michelle Obama with Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall

President Obama shakes hands with Queen Elizabeth II as first lady Michelle Obama and Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, look on, at Buckingham Palace

….meeting Britain’s Prince William and his wife Kate at Buckingham Palace

President Obama reviews troops with Prince Phillip during an official arrival ceremony at Buckingham Palace

The President and Mrs. Obama gave Queen Elizabeth II a collection of rare memorabilia and photographs in a handmade leather bound album that chronologically highlights her parents’ (King George VI and Queen Elizabeth) visit to the United States in 1939. As the 1939 visit was the first such trip to the United States by a reigning British monarch, this gift contains both historic and personal value.

For Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, the President and Mrs. Obama gave a custom-made set of Fell Pony bits and shanks, as well as original horseshoes worn by recently retired champion carriage horse Jamaica. The Duke of Edinburgh has a keen interest in equestrian sports and specifically in carriage driving. Designed in Colorado and made in Ohio, the set includes several interchangeable bits and each shank is engraved with the Presidential Seal. A slaughterhouse rescue horse, Jamaica rose to the top of carriage horse competition and was named the 2008 United States Equestrian Federation Horse of the Year.

For The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall, the President and Mrs. Obama gave a special selection of plants, seedlings and seeds from the gardens of Mount Vernon, Monticello and the South Lawn of The White House, as well as jars of honey from The White House beehive. This one-of-a-kind collection is presented in a specially handcrafted wooden box made from a Magnolia tree that fell on the grounds of The White House during the snowstorm of February 2009. Magnolia trees have been a fixture on the South Lawn of The White House since the mid-nineteenth century.

President Obama talks with the Queen during a tour of the Portrait Gallery at Buckingham Palace

70 Responses to “morning in london”

1. 1 JoAnn
    May 24, 2011 at 7:41 am

Who needs royalty when we have such a wonderful president and first lady? But I wonder was it awkward when the wedding was mentioned? “I heard it was a lovely event. Perhaps our invitation got lost in the mail….”

Thanks for all the posts — it’s so nice to check in during the day and see all the smiling faces, not to mention the incredible fashion show Michelle always puts on!

2. 2 Barb
    May 24, 2011 at 7:47 am

President is on the ball speaking to the press on the Stateside tornado in Joplin. The Queen has her little purse with her. She is so cute. Charles looks happy. I don’t think I’ve ever seen him smile so much and Camilla, what can I say. Her hat matches her outfit.

• 3 Proud of Obama
      May 24, 2011 at 7:54 am

Old sour-faced Mika was on Morning Joke demanding to know who was going to Missouri just ready to bash the President for being over in Europe during this time. Stupid silly Willie Geist immediately piped up and said the President had just announced that he would be going on Sunday. Mika looked like a fool.

LOL at Camilla’s hat matches her outfit.

• May 24, 2011 at 8:05 am

Mika please! please just simmer down little girl. He’s actually trying to get business done there its not just all fun and games.

• 5 meta
          May 24, 2011 at 8:12 am

I never watch that show but it sounds like it should be called, “Itchy and Scratchy.”

• 6 COS
            May 24, 2011 at 8:30 am

Good name for those bozos Meta. I watched it once or twice and could not take it. Pat Buchanan makes my skin crawl.

May 24, 2011 at 8:17 am

I hope Kate doesn’t lose any more weight. Hopefully she will remember what Princess Di went through with her eating disorder. At times like this you miss her. I always liked Princess Di for whatever reason.

• 8 COS
          May 24, 2011 at 8:32 am

She is so tiny. Wow!!! Her diet was featured on Dr. Oz’s show once.

• 9 dotster
          May 24, 2011 at 10:03 am

I think she’s a doll. She was always thin but like many brides seemed to try to lose weight for her wedding. She always looks lovely though—I love that beige dress. And I really like what I know about William and Kate. They are as down to earth as possible given their circumstances.

• 10 M
          May 24, 2011 at 2:02 pm

Yes, annibelle. I agree, both about hoping she does not lose anymore weight (in fact,I hope she puts on a few pounds) and I still love Princess Di and miss her.

May 24, 2011 at 8:29 am

You know I never really have liked that Mika woman. I refuse to watch Morning Joke. Hay that’s a good one. But this trip was planned weeks in advanced, it’s not like the President knew the tornado was happening and he flew overseas. He was already overseas. Why those idiots like her try to make something out of nothing, is beyond me. But I knew it would come. “F” them all. That’s forget them, not that other word. No cussing first thing this morning.

3. 12 ZeeUK
    May 24, 2011 at 7:49 am

Michelle looked like a total babe today. It should not be forgotten that for the Queen to Invite the Obamas as her personal guests is a massive deal. It means she loves them and I’m so happy for the Obamas. It was lovely watching the gun salute performed for them. There are many who are consumed with jealousy right now but I say, live with it. The Obamas are living the dream and I’m so happy for them!!!

• 13 Proud of Obama
      May 24, 2011 at 7:55 am

She did look like a babe. Man, the First Lady has gorgeous legs. PBO ain’t going nowhere. Ever.

• 15 Luci1119
      May 24, 2011 at 7:56 am

Yes Indeed Zee. I watched the salute also, and our First Lady Is absolutely pretty, and she wears her clothes well. I just look forward to see what her outfit looks like each day. I just love the Obamas, and I just can’t help It They are such great Examples for our Country. A handsome Couple, they make us proud :-) :-) :-)

• 17 COS
      May 24, 2011 at 8:37 am

With everything they have to put up with from all of the right wing nuts here, they deserve all of the love from this trip. I especially liked the Irish Times article. Thanks for sharing that Chipsticks. I sent it to some of my friends.

• 18 LYNN
        May 24, 2011 at 11:19 am

AND LETS NOT FORGET THE SILLY LEFTIES EITHER…THEY CARRY THE ‘I HATE YOU ‘UMBRELLA TOO!!!!

• 19 Me4obama
      May 24, 2011 at 9:38 am

Preach it sister, preach.

4. 20 Proud of Obama
    May 24, 2011 at 7:51 am

Looking so good Mr. President and First Lady.

OT: Oppo research on Herman Cain. Errr, about that business experience he touts:

“According to five lawsuits filed in federal court in 2004, Aquila’s board of directors—which Cain joined in 1992—allegedly steered employees into heavily investing their retirement savings in company stock. At the same time, the company shifted its business model from straightforward energy generation to risky energy trading, an unregulated market made infamous by now-defunct Enron. The suits, later folded into a single, massive class action (PDF), alleged that Cain and top company officials violated a 37-year-old federal law requiring that employers manage employees retirement programs responsibly. (Cain’s presidential exploratory committee did not respond to a request for comment.)”

Oh, and flipped on Morning Joke just for giggles. Joe was red-faced and looked like he was about to explode as he attacked Harold Ford and defended Ryan’s medicare plan. The rethugs know they cannot beat this president. They got nothing to offer but incompetence, adulterers, haters and boring candidates.

So sad.

5. 21 anniebella
    May 24, 2011 at 8:02 am

First our President was thinking of his people back home, when he spoke this morning about the terrible disaster in Missouri. He let the people know that he maybe miles and miles away, he and Michelle are thinking of them and he will be to Missouri when he comes back Sunday. Now what a day they had in Ireland. WOW! The weather could have been better, but you deal with what you get. Anyway the people in Ireland will never forget it. Specially Moneygall. Today I hope they have a wonderful time. And how about our First Lady? She look lovely. That is a beautiful color she is wearing and I really like those shoes. Have a wonderful day President and First Lady.

6. May 24, 2011 at 8:08 am

First Lady looks stunning. Kate really is very pretty but please miss, don’t lose anymore weight.

7. 25 Me4obama
    May 24, 2011 at 8:09 am

Beautiful, simply beautiful all the way

8. May 24, 2011 at 8:09 am

The Duchess of Cambridge (Wills and Catherine) will not attend the state dinner nor the lunch. One of the BBC reporters says it is because this is the Obamas day and that the palace did not want any distractions. This is also why the visit between the president, first lady. wills and Kate was limited to 10 to 20 mins TOPS.

Repeating only what I heard the BBC say… :)

9. 27 anniebella
    May 24, 2011 at 8:09 am

I wonder what William and Kate are saying to our First Couple. Oh we’re so sorry, so sorry, so sorry we didn’t invite you to our wedding.

10. 29 aristac
    May 24, 2011 at 8:10 am

those shoes are rocking!

11. 30 MeaBloom
    May 24, 2011 at 8:21 am

The First Couple looks lovely as usual. I doubt that they even mentioned the wedding or not being invited. They have more class (both couples) then to ask “Oh, why didn’t we get an invite to your Royal Wedding?” No… I remember the First Lady saying they should invite whom ever they chose. That it’s a personal and private affair. I strongly believe she meant that. No hard feeling I’m more than positive.
    And hey, looking at the First Couple they are probably thinking “Darn it, Why didn’t we send an invite to this lovely couple?”

Anywho.. the first lady has been serving up some serious fashion thus far. Especially the blue she wore last night landing in London. Can’t wait to see what’s next.

Obama2012&I’mIn

May 24, 2011 at 8:35 am

MeaBloom, I was just kidding. I know Mrs. Obama or Mr. Obama wouldn’t ask why they weren’t invited to the wedding. I know it was William and Kate’s wedding and they had a right to invite who they wanted too.

• 32 MeaBloom
        May 24, 2011 at 8:51 am

Oh, I’m more than positive everyone was kidding. I was just saying they would NEVER. We are all firm supporters of the Obamas and I know we all know they wouldn’t ask that question. I’m not throwing shade to anyone, just stating my opinion.

May 24, 2011 at 9:22 am

With a few exceptions, they don’t usually invite political heads of state (e.g., French President Sarkosky & spouse weren’t invited)to Royal Weddings. And even if they did, the wedding would have been about the Obamas rather than the Royal couple. It would be very embarassing to have people yelling “Obama!” or “yes we can!” at your wedding.

• 36 sherijr
      May 24, 2011 at 8:42 am

I agree Mea, nicely said :)

Love the First Lady’s jacket & President Obama’s beautiful matching tie..

• May 24, 2011 at 8:57 am

I heard that only other royals could be invited. Other than very close friends and family of course.

• 38 dotster
      May 24, 2011 at 10:09 am

That invite was never going to happen, and I strongly suspect the Obamas were just fine with that decision. The security that would be needed would have greatly interfered with that wedding, and I’m sure the Obamas wanted what they wanted—-the wedding to be their day and not the attendance by the American President and his wife.

12. 40 HZ
    May 24, 2011 at 8:28 am

Good Morning everyone. Just awaken to my alarm and so grateful to be alive. Lit my candles and prayed for our fellow
    Americans in Joplin. Saw the opening ceremony of our wonderful President with the Queen and our beautiful First Lady. Of course we have much to be grateful for today knowing that our President and First Lady will again make us so proud. I love the outfit that our lovely First Lady is wearing this morning. The Queen looks so happy to have them there with her.

13. 42 Kels
    May 24, 2011 at 8:32 am

FLOTUS looks beautiful and I love the outfit, especially the colors. Very spring like. Kate is lovely as well, but after these pictures, I suspect we will start to hear about eating disorder rumors from the press. She used to have a lovely curvy and athletic figure when she first stepped out with Wills.

14. 43 Pinkbunny
    May 24, 2011 at 8:56 am

Enjoy ! I have a packed work day :-(

15. 44 SUE DUVALL SMITH
    May 24, 2011 at 9:03 am

THE FIRST LADY LOOKS BEAUTIFUL AS ALWAYS…WOW…KATE IS GORGEOUS BUT WAY TOO THIN.

16. 46 SUE DUVALL SMITH
    May 24, 2011 at 9:09 am

GOD LOVE OUR COMFORTER IN CHIEF…WHEREVER HE IS…THE AMERICAN PEOPLE ARE ALWAYS ON HIS MIND. I JUST HEARD THAT THE PRESIDENT AND FIRST LADY ARE STAYING IN THE SAME ROOM WILLIAM AND KATE WERE IN AFTER THEY WERE MARRIED!….:)

17. 47 Claire
    May 24, 2011 at 9:10 am

Funny looking the the most important leader in the world and FLOTUS speaking with the prince and princess. It’s like the adults interacting with the children, in terms of their responsibilities.

18. 49 UT Austin Liberal
    May 24, 2011 at 9:13 am

The POTUS and FLOTUS look lovely. Mrs O is serving some serious fashion. All her outfits on the journey so far have been BEAUTIFUL. Sorry to say, but Kate Middleton is looking skinny. Normally when people go on vacation they come back looking rested, refreshed and healthy. When I saw her … I gasped. I love that Mrs. Obama has been picking bright wonderful colors and styles. Gosh she is blowing everyone out of the water. Can’t wait for the State Dinner. :)

May 24, 2011 at 9:29 am

I’m hoping that young Kate takes a page from Mrs. Obama’s book that you need not be skeletal in order to be healthy or to look good. Hopefully with age and maturity, she will come into her own person and not abide by society’s superficial and unhealthy standards of what women ought to look like.

19. 51 sherijr
    May 24, 2011 at 9:20 am

Is anyone getting any live streaming from either of the links? I’m only seeing the recorded stuff at BBC from their arrival with the Queen- but nothing live at either link.

FLOTUS looks amazing.. that photo with her dress fluttering up a bit- is reminiscent of the Marilyn Monroe dress shot- remember that? Where she’s standing over the heater vent?? Anyway, beautiful shot of Michelle, her quite fabulous legs and she looks so lovely in that color. I never talk about their clothes, because I love everything she wears- but what nice pics of her today- so glad they’re getting some sunshine.

Prince William certainly looks serious in his conversation with POTUS, I don’t know what his politics are- am curious what he might be saying.

• May 24, 2011 at 9:24 am

Hi sherijr, keep checking the links, there’s nothing live happening at the moment – if you know what I mean!

Coming up –

10:0 AM (3:0 PM UK) President Obama and Michelle Obama tour Westminster Abbey
      10:45 AM (3:45 PM UK) President Obama and Michelle Obama arrive at 10 Downing St
      12:0 PM (5:0 PM UK) President Obama meets with opposition leader Ed Miliband
      3:30 PM (8:30 PM UK) President Obama and Michelle Obama attend a dinner hosted by the Queen

May 24, 2011 at 9:25 am

He’s saying “finally Mr. President, an American politico that Kate & I can relate to.” :)

20. 58 Fred
    May 24, 2011 at 9:25 am

morning TOD family.I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE that the Obama’s meant the kids because I bet Catherine especially should be made to feel at ease by the Obama’s because errm the Family is just plain top damn stuffy for my taste and I hope the O’s had kid words for her. I’d love for the O’s to invite this young couple to the WH as well this year while on their trip to our country.

The President and First Lady look good and shall I say the Queen;Princes Philip and Charles and Camila had a smile on their faces :o :D

I was so happy to see Catherine smile with First Obama :D

• 59 meta
      May 24, 2011 at 10:08 am

Prince William and Kate are coming to California and were to be met by our disastrous joke of a former Governor but all that will have to change now.

21. 60 PoliticalJunkessa
    May 24, 2011 at 9:49 am

As the British would say (I think): “SPLENDID!” “SMASHING!”

Looks like PBO and FLMO got some good rest last night — they look absolutely gorgeous this morning. Michelle is absolutely killing it. Those legs, hubba hubba hubba: almost enough to turn this straight girl around.

Not sure what exactly the Royal Family does, but they all look nice and welcoming. Love the Queen’s little purse lol.

I have a lot of work to catch up on, but looking forward to all the coverage here. Thanks Chips and TODers.

Have a great day, everyone :-)!

22. 61 meta
    May 24, 2011 at 10:16 am

Mrs. O has been stunning through and through everywhere she goes. Love the footage of them touring the Gallery. Thank goodness we have livestreams from Europe or we’d see none of this.

23. 62 meta
    May 24, 2011 at 10:22 am

Details about the gift swap between the Royals and the Obamas:

24. 64 kelly
    May 24, 2011 at 10:34 am

So stunning and so much class. Our President and First Lady are both examples of the best of America. They represent our nation beautifully. I love the pictures and everyone looks good.

25. 66 anniebella
    May 24, 2011 at 1:51 pm

Now I know why they wear hats all the time over there. If they didn’t the wind would blow the Queen wig off. And I read were the Queen have someting sowrn in her hem of her dress. Altough I’m sure our First Lady was alittle nervous for a minute or two, I’m sure she will have a big laugh about her Marilyn Monroe type moment. She still looked good though. And I still think the world of her. The next event is what?

• 67 Titti
      May 24, 2011 at 2:04 pm

Tee hee the Queen doesn’t wear a wig. Next up is State Dinner at B. Palace. Wonder who would have chased the Queen’s hat had it blown off.

26. 68 Titti
    May 24, 2011 at 1:58 pm

Love he pictures and as mentioned everyone seem to be getting along great. I would love to be a fly on the wall after all the pomp and ceremony are over later on tonight. Wonder if they’ll chill with Her Marg and a cup of hot chocolate.
    LOL at the Queen holding her bag, bet it has treats for her cogis. I think it’s a habit and she’ll feel ‘naked’ without it.

27. 69 M
    May 24, 2011 at 2:14 pm

The image of just the Queen and PBO in the gallery smiling at one another is wonderful!

28. 70 P
    May 24, 2011 at 4:15 pm

WOW Mrs Obama is GORGEOUS!!!!!!!! This woman is such a fashion icon, I love her entire outfit she’s beautiful! I fully agree with everyone and yes she has smooth, beautiful legs. She’s a Queen in her own right and Mr President knows it!!!