May

tea time

First Lady Michelle Obama and Samantha Cameron, wife of British Prime Minister David Cameron, talk before having tea in the private residence at Downing Street in London, England, May 24, 2011. (Official White House Photo by Lawrence Jackson)

34 Responses to “tea time”

1. 1 tally
    May 24, 2011 at 4:29 pm

WTF? 10 Downing looks like it was furnished at Ikea.

Don’t get me wrong, I LOVE Ikea. I just didn’t expect that, or such a small, mustard-colored sofa.

Michelle looks AWESOME in that color, btw. Even on that sofa.
    :D

• 2 CTGirl
      May 24, 2011 at 4:39 pm

You are soooo wrong for that!!!!! LOL! :-) You are cracking me up!

• 3 P
      May 24, 2011 at 4:43 pm

I said the same thing tally lol, you’re not alone :D . Michelle loved soooo beautiful and Mr Cameron wife looks great also.

• 4 Tien Le
      May 24, 2011 at 5:45 pm

Gawd, thank you for saying that. I hesitated to comment how tacky that bookshelf looked. You’re right…totally IKEA.

2. 5 Kels
    May 24, 2011 at 4:29 pm

They really do live in a regular house! Looks like something out of an Ikea catalog.

3. May 24, 2011 at 4:30 pm

huh? that’s their residence? really? not criticizing, I just thought it would be grander.

• 7 UT Austin Liberal
      May 24, 2011 at 4:38 pm

I kinda thought the same thing gobrooklyn. It’s very not grand. For such a famous address I expected to see a bit of history and beauty in the private residence? It looks like any other regular british apartment.

Michelle Obama looks striking. The fact that she can look that gorgeous sitting on the mustard sofa is a testament to her beauty.

• 8 tally
        May 24, 2011 at 4:45 pm

Exactly!

I don’t mind the place at all, I’d just get a different Ikea sofa. Something bigger and maybe more….neutral?

I’m not a fan of that color of furnishings……I’m only talking about the TINY MUSTARD SOFA they brought out for that photo (that REALLY shows off the utter EPICNESS of Michelle’s dress!)

May 24, 2011 at 5:24 pm

ROFLMAO…Tally you simply can’t get over that scrawny mustard sofa!!!! That must have been quite a shock to your system.

I’m dying here with laughter.
          That’s tooo funny :) :)

• 10 tally
            May 24, 2011 at 5:30 pm

Seriously. Am I the only one who thinks it looks out of place? Like maybe something brought in from another room?

Look at where it is PLACED in the room – it’s NOT EVEN FACING THE TV!!!!!

COME ON!!! STOP IT!!

Speaking of “come on! stop it!” watch this and LISTEN TO THE ANNOUNCERS:

:D

GO Gs!!!

• 11 tally
              May 24, 2011 at 5:31 pm

yeah…. I was there. That was one of my birthday goals from my boys! (three days early…) :D

4. May 24, 2011 at 4:31 pm

oh good. I’m not the only that thought IKEA.

5. 13 sherijr
    May 24, 2011 at 4:35 pm

what a nice comfortable room, I like it. As lovely and fun as all the pomp and crowns are- this has got to be a nice respite of normal… well okay normal to me ;)

6. 14 MeaBloom
    May 24, 2011 at 4:35 pm

O.kay, I wasn’t just me. On the flip side…. I like the First Lady’s dress. Beautiful as always.

Obama2012&I’mIn

7. 15 Claire
    May 24, 2011 at 4:36 pm

What an unattractive residence.

8. 17 GGail
    May 24, 2011 at 4:40 pm

FLOTUS looks lovely. PM’s wife looks kind. The residence is the temporary home for the PM. It’s a revolving home, not their permanent residence. Give them a break y’all. :-)

• May 24, 2011 at 5:02 pm

It is the official residence of the prime minister and government. :(

———

10 Downing Street, colloquially known in the United Kingdom as “Number 10″, is the headquarters of Her Majesty’s Government and the official residence and office of the First Lord of the Treasury, who is now always the Prime Minister.

Situated on Downing Street in the City of Westminster, Number 10 is one of the most famous addresses in the United Kingdom and the world. Almost three hundred years old, the building contains about one hundred rooms. There is a private residence on the third floor and a kitchen in the basement. The other floors contain offices and numerous conference, reception, sitting and dining rooms where the Prime Minister works, and where government ministers, national leaders and foreign dignitaries are met and entertained. There is an interior courtyard and, in the back, a terrace overlooking a garden of 0.5 acres (2,000 m2). Adjacent to St. James’s Park, Number 10 is near the Palace of Westminster, the Houses of Parliament, and Buckingham Palace, the official London residence of the British Monarch.

• 19 tally
        May 24, 2011 at 5:06 pm

ok – That looks like a ktichen to me – and it’s NOT a basement.

just sayin.

Maybe that’s the kitchen in the private residence on the third floor.

• May 24, 2011 at 5:11 pm

Hey Tally, I know when the Blairs lived in Downing St they swapped private residences with Gordon Brown (because No 10 was too small) – Brown, as Chancellor of the Exchequer, lived next door. He agreed because, at that stage, he didn’t have children. Not sure if the Camerons live in No 10 or next door – but No 10 apparently is very pokey!

9. 21 dotster
    May 24, 2011 at 4:43 pm

That photo shot looks too stiff, too posed, uncomfortable. I hope they had more fun than it appears.

10. May 24, 2011 at 5:04 pm

Love the first ladies dress but that space… prime ministers residence, well…..not so much. Reminds me of university dorms, bad ones.

11. 23 JoAnn
    May 24, 2011 at 5:27 pm

I thought maybe it was the nanny’s studio apartment…. talk about unpretentious…

12. 24 Theo67
    May 24, 2011 at 5:37 pm

I had heard that the Prime Minister’s wife refuse to live there. I believe he’s a member of the elite or aristocracy, and has manors in the country and their own London residence, where they actually still live. But I heard that right after the British election, so it might have changed.

13. May 24, 2011 at 5:39 pm

You know what’s spoiling that shot? the bookcase/cd/dvd display. I think that cheapens the place. And the TV.

sorry, I couldn’t help it.

14. 26 UT Austin Liberal
    May 24, 2011 at 5:59 pm

Totally OT: Was just watching Hardball and Cornel West makes me want to grab him by the collar and SMACK him HARD. He wrote an Op Ed for Truth Net or Truth Daily in which he verbally lambasted PBO. He called him spineless, weak and that he lacks a backbone. He said that POTUS is a puppet for the corporate plutocracy. He said that POTUS is a willing participant in a messed up oligarchy. He said that POTUS has abandoned poor unhealthy children. The backlash has already begun. A lot of people have criticized him with harsh words including Rev. Al Sharpton and Jonathan Capehart on Hardball. Chris was like what the heck is wrong with this dude.

When PBO passed healthcare it benefited EVERYONE. When he passed financial and credit card reform it benefited EVERYONE. He passed SCHIP.. another type of CHIP that gives health insurance to lots of children. What the HELL has Cornel West done these past two years?

May 24, 2011 at 6:18 pm

Cornel West haven’t done anything but bash the President. This man need help. Mental help, he is so jealous of this President, that it is driving him crazy. What did heck have West done for poor unhealthy children? He don’t give a darn about those children, he is just using them to try to go after President Obama. A sick bastard.

• 28 lisalovesobama
      May 24, 2011 at 8:36 pm

Fuck Cornel West………….. scratch that, I wouldn’t have my worst enemy (Repugs) do that. Cancerous git.

15. 29 laurie law
    May 24, 2011 at 6:11 pm

Jealousy dressed up in academic intellectualism is still jealousy and really UGLY.

• 30 VC prezOfan2
      May 24, 2011 at 7:42 pm

x 2 – though I’m not even sure I’d use the word ‘intellect’ anywhere near this guy. Educated? Maybe. Intelligent? Intellectual? Not sure if the behaviour I keep hearing about supports this.

16. 31 Puddin'
    May 24, 2011 at 6:18 pm

Cornel West like to hear himself talk…once upon a time, other folks liked t hear him talk too…but not so much now and this is what got his “panties in a bunch”! Sad, oh so sad. I can not stand him and his “brother tavis”.

17. 33 tally
    May 24, 2011 at 6:24 pm

I used to love Dr West, but his recent insanity is worrisome.

18. 34 Titti
    May 25, 2011 at 6:14 am

It looks like an attic flat, I’m sure they don’t live there all the time. Can’t swing a cat in there let alone three kids. Tally you’re something else – 10 Downing St. sponsored by Ikea.