May

oxford, wednesday

First Lady Michelle Obama listens to students from the Elizabeth Garrett Anderson School during a visit to Christ Church College at Oxford University

BBC: US First Lady Michelle Obama has been reunited with a group of British schoolgirls she met during a previous visit to the UK … Mrs Obama made a speech at Oxford University and took questions from the children. She paid an emotional visit to their school in Islington, London, in 2009.

…..the First Lady told the schoolchildren she was “thrilled to be back” in the UK and spoke of her own experience of making it from a poor background to a top university.

…. She had received a rapturous round of applause as she arrived at the university’s Christ Church college. She greeted the pupils from Elizabeth Garrett Anderson (EGA) secondary school as she entered the college’s dining room, where the girls sat at two long tables to listen to Mrs Obama’s remarks.

…The 37 girls were picked for today’s event because they were interested in science but not reaching their full potential. Their meeting with the US president’s wife came after a day of activities for the pupils, including campus tours, career discussions and mentoring sessions. The trip – arranged at Mrs Obama’s suggestion – was designed to encourage the girls to think about studying for a degree. Since visiting EGA in 2009, Mrs Obama has kept in touch with the school, writing letters and encouraging the girls in their studies.

More here

24 Responses to “oxford, wednesday”

1. 1 Fred
    May 25, 2011 at 12:03 pm

she was fantastic today with the girls :D

2. 2 UT Austin Liberal
    May 25, 2011 at 12:04 pm

Thank you sooooo much Chips. I couldn’t get live coverage of her visit, but once again you cam through. Bless your heart and hard work my friend. You are genius personified.

I love that FLOTUS kept in touch with these beautiful and SMART young women. This shows the essence of her character. I hope the students take her words to heart and continue to flourish in their education pursuits.

Please allow me to FREAK out and say: “OMG OMG!!!!! she looks freakin FANTASTIC. I looooooove her sense of fashion and that she does not kowtow to others who try to define her and her fashion style. In my objective opinion she is the BEST DRESSED First Lady, wife of a leader, Leader in her own right that we have ever been fortunate to witness. :D

• 3 Doris
      May 25, 2011 at 12:07 pm

What UT Austin Liberal said!

• May 25, 2011 at 12:08 pm

UT, I just added a second Michelle video – it’s lovely ;-)

• 5 UT Austin Liberal
        May 25, 2011 at 12:30 pm

Oh Chips I can never say it enough. Thank you. Merci. Gracias. Thank you in all languages. I just watched the video and she is so right. We all should always judge a human being on their character not if they are the richest person in the room, or well traveled or any of that superficial nonsense. She made me shed a tear when she talked about PBO. The deep and abiding love they both share gives me hope that this college undergrad will find a deserving love in this crazy crazy topsy turvy world when the time is right. (right now my focus is on education.) PBO always promised her a life not full of riches but an interesting life nonetheless and boy has he delivered.

Thank you for your continued updates and live coverage Chips. A welcome and warm commnunity like this gives me hope everyday that more people in the media, congress and in general will learn to become more civil and have civil responses even when we disagree.

3. 6 P
    May 25, 2011 at 12:09 pm

Wish I could see the entire speech! This lady is so inspirational, I love her! Wonder if Sasha and Malia are missing their mommy? Must be a difficult time for the girls while we are loving it!

• 7 Nellcote
      May 25, 2011 at 1:03 pm

It was a really smart move to bring Ms. Robinson into the WH so the girls always have someone that loves them taking care of them and maintaining stability.

4. 8 MTmarilyn
    May 25, 2011 at 12:11 pm

Michelle, what a talk. That is so wonderful her talking about what she thought of Barack when she met him. So humble.

• 9 P
      May 25, 2011 at 12:22 pm

What a tip for young girls. Michelle sure knows how to choose a great man and just from what she said Barack destiny was definitely to be President!!! I just love these two as a couple!!

May 25, 2011 at 3:56 pm

MTmarilyn, I love listening to her talk about what she thought of Barack when she first met him too.

5. 11 Bobfr
    May 25, 2011 at 12:47 pm

CSPAN – the speech – http://www.cspan.org/Events/Pres-Obama-Addresses-British-Parliament/10737421747-1/

Good day everyone!

Yes.We.Can. … DO.More.Together!

6. 13 gc
    May 25, 2011 at 12:50 pm

Damn, I admire her so much!!

7. 14 Puddin'
    May 25, 2011 at 1:28 pm

WE DID GOOD…REAL GOOD NOVEMBER 4, 2008!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am so very proud of President Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama. I started crying before the President opened his mouth today…I really don’t have the words to express how I truly feel…what a journey these two have taken us on, and it ain’t over yet!

IS FEIDIR LINN 2012

8. May 25, 2011 at 1:28 pm

*sighs* the only bad thing about this is that I will be in Oxford in two weeks. Which means I´ll have missed those guys by a few days. *is sad*

9. 16 fig8jam
    May 25, 2011 at 2:07 pm

Well I am so glad for this site with all the photos and videos joining the jubliant faces and exhuberant voices as POTUS & FLOTUS take the UK and Ireland by storm.

I am particularly glad for the positive coverage given how the media is continually running the clip of the POTUS toasting the Queen and the band playing and the Queen not initially responding to the toast. My God the way they are playing this thing you would think that this was the most significant event of the entire state dinner.

Of course they are not telling anyone this is only SECOND POTUS to actually have a State Dinner!! The Queen does not dole out these kinds of lavish recognitions and high regard complete with pomp and circumstance for just any POTUS. But you would never know that by how the media chooses to cover the event as just one big faux pas rather than one of great historical honor. Only TWO Presidents in U.S. History have the British feted with a State Dinner. just two..PLUS a 41 gun salute NOT 21..high honor!

Anyhoo, after watching them snipe on and on about this toast all morning on channel after channel, I have finally figured out what actually transpired, since so many inferred the band started at the wrong moment, thus causing the President to have to speak over them.

Actually, without realizing it, POTUS cued the band, when he said Let’s toast the Queen and RAISED HIS GLASS…the raising of the glass is the cue for the band to play the British anthem, as required BEFORE any toast to the Queen. I don’t think POTUS realized that. Also, the Queen had no choice but not to respond DURING the anthem as it is protocol to stand in silence when the anthem is played.

Thus, POTUS had to wait until the anthem was complete to clink glasses with the Queen.

All of this is clearly demonstrated in the sequence preceeding POTUS’ toast when the Queen toasts to POTUS herself.

And those crazy commentators, act like protocol is just suppose to be throw away with a whim, asking why didn’t the Queen just go ahead and toast? Why would she? She knows that would have been a huge insult to do so during her countries anthem.

But, I do not think this toast deserves all the hype it is getting as another ‘flaw’ of POTUS!

Furthermore, President Obama is the first and only US President to speak before the UK Parliament. The FIRST!

Yet, all we hear about on the news is a friggin toast?!
    GMAFB

• 17 Theo67
      May 25, 2011 at 3:03 pm

Ignore them, Fig – I’m sure the President and the Queen have moved on. It’s typical media behavior.

May 25, 2011 at 3:11 pm

Last time it was Michelle touching the Queen, now it’s this. Another nothing. Let’s move on!

• 19 lisalovesobama
      May 25, 2011 at 3:22 pm

Fig, at this point I mute and change the channel. The good thing is that when he leaves England, he leaves this behind too. Our media is sick and diseased. They are truly disgusting. In the absence of true, salacious and scandalous behavior on the part of our PBO, they have to grab on to anything they can get. Can you imagine their frustration with PBO’s moral perfection? They (the media) pride themselves on hype, scandal, gross behavior or just plain stupidity -ie: Clinton, Edwards, Arnold and for the latter Bush- they are at a loss for what to do with this president so they spend most of their time ginning up drama, searching out ghosts who aren’t there and when all else fails, over exaggerating the slightest of misunderstandings. Oh, I could wax poetic on the nastiness and the sickness of the media. But the one thing I will conclude with, is that they are more than slightly disturbing in their voracious appetite for drama and not only drama but salacious gossip. Their behaviors are like disgusting gawkers who enjoy being involved with and on the scene of the truly macabre.

10. 20 Carolyn
    May 25, 2011 at 2:09 pm

One of the things I notice about the President and Michelle, and so appreciate, is that they both LISTEN. I looked at her face in these pictures, she is paying total attention to these girls, not talking, listening. All of us want someone to listen to us, and these two do. Bravo!

11. 21 anniebella
    May 25, 2011 at 3:05 pm

UK you are seeing why we think our First Lady is so special. November 4, 2008, we were blessed with a President and a First Lady that we can be so proud of.

• 22 Titti
      May 25, 2011 at 3:53 pm

Some of us get them and think they’re special too. I ain’t jealous though as I can come here and get my ‘o’ fix.

12. 23 anniebella
    May 26, 2011 at 9:37 pm

So proud of Michelle for not forgetting these girls. President Obama knows and he tells us as often as he can just how special his wife is.

13. 24 vinicius
    May 28, 2011 at 9:55 am

the full thing at oxford’s channel on youtube