Jun

“nothing to celebrate”?

Steve Benen: In 2009, with the American automotive industry on the verge of collapse, and with at least a million American jobs on the line, President Obama unveiled a rescue strategy. John Boehner, like the rest of his party, predicted the policy would fail miserably. Two years later, we now know Obama was right and Boehner and the GOP were wrong. It takes a mature and responsible adult to admit when he’s wrong. It takes a Republican leader to screw up the same fight twice:

…Speaker of the House John Boehner (R-OH) would rather have seen those jobs disappear … “The administration’s auto bailout is nothing to celebrate,” said Brendan Buck, a spokesman for House Speaker John Boehner, an Ohio Republican. “The model the White House should be touting is Ford, which, instead of relying on a taxpayer-funded bailout, saw trouble coming and made the tough decisions necessary to preserve jobs and weather the storm.

….President Obama: “Today, each of the Big Three automakers – Chrysler, GM, and Ford – is turning a profit for the first time since 2004. Chrysler has repaid every dime and more of what it owes American taxpayers for their support during my presidency – and it repaid that money six years ahead of schedule…. all three American automakers are now adding shifts and creating jobs at the strongest rate since the 1990s…. That’s remarkable when you think about where we were just a couple of years ago.”

If you have America’s best interests at heart, and you consider these developments “nothing to celebrate,” then maybe your celebratory standards are in need of revision….

Full post here

46 Responses to ““nothing to celebrate”?”

1. 1 Carolyn
    June 5, 2011 at 2:46 pm

I bet all those people in Ohio and Michigan who have jobs again don’t think there’s “nothing to celebrate.” How out of touch with his constituents is John Boehner? I truly hope they see this and defeat him in 2012. He does not deserve to “represent” the.

2. 2 SUE DUVALL SMITH
    June 5, 2011 at 3:00 pm

PERSONALLY…MY BIG DREAM IS TO SEE BOEHNER IN AN UNEMPLOYMENT LINE AND ASKING FOR FOOD STAMPS! HE NEEDS TO WALK IN ANOTHER MAN’S SHOES!

3. 3 PoliticalJunkessa
    June 5, 2011 at 3:09 pm

This mutha! The Orange Man needs to apply that logic to the big oil companies that they are fighting to subsidize, and are apologizing to (BP) — now THAT’S nothing to celebrate.

4. 4 GGail
    June 5, 2011 at 3:10 pm

They can try to minimize the accomplishments all they want, but those of us who are living in reality know the difference.

5. 5 Robert
    June 5, 2011 at 3:12 pm

I know this is a little off topic but I was just listening to Sarah Palin try to explain away her latest gaffe and all I can say is wow. Its true, genius has its limits but stupidity has no bounds. I’ll really like to see things from here point of view but no matter how I try, I just can’t seem to get my head that far up my arse

• 6 Walking on Sunshine
      June 5, 2011 at 3:27 pm

Thanks for the laugh Robert!!!

• 7 utaustinliberal
      June 5, 2011 at 3:32 pm

Hahahaha…. Robert you crack me up :lol: “genius has its limits, but stupidity has no bounds.” Truer words have never been written.

Now on to Boehner and his dimwit of a spokesperson. Nothing to celebrate? So people who had lost their jobs and were on the unemployment line feeling desperate and ashamed and now have said jobs back is nothing to celebrate? Over 2 million jobs recovered and created so far in the Obama Administration is nothing to celebrate? The fact that GM gave it’s workers in Michigan $4,000 bonuses for their hard work is nothing to celebrate? The fact that GM, Chrysler and Ford all restructured their businesses and are making cars with better fuel efficency standards is nothing to celebrate? The fact that Chrysler paid the loan it borrowed with interest a full 6 years ahead of schedule is nothing to celebrate? The fact that GM, Chrysler and Ford are all turning HUGE profits for the first time since 2004 is nothing to celebrate? The fact that for the first time in over 3 years, GM debuted on the stock market with high/strong numbers is nothing to celebrate. Well turn me upside down and color me blue…. b/c if this is the kind of stuff we’re not supposed to celebrate about under President Obama’s leadership, we’re in good hands. Please President Obama gives us more GREAT results like these so we cannot celebrate.

• 11 meta
      June 5, 2011 at 3:52 pm

Honestly, you just can’t make this stuff up. Her supporters are actually trying to change the Wikipedia entry to match her gaffe on Paul Revere:

Wow, how NUTS do you have to be to do this kind of stuff? And today I heard that Dean Howard said that The Quitter could beat PBO in 2012. Give me a break. Somebody needs to send him that June 1st PPP poll that Chips posted. Even Alaska can’t stand her.

• 12 utaustinliberal
        June 5, 2011 at 3:55 pm

Oh yeah I heard Howard Dean say that also. Honestly half the tim he speaks the truth to the repugs and half the time he spouts nonsense.

• 13 utaustinliberal
          June 5, 2011 at 4:05 pm

Hahahaha… they’re trying to revise history to fit palin’s insane rants?… Are you freakin kidding me? When will blind allegiance take a hike and allow these nitwits to stop smoking crack and see the light?

• 14 HZ
          June 5, 2011 at 4:11 pm

You know utaustinliberal, I read that article about Deans’s comments. I really think that Dean needs to go on vacation with SP on that bus of hers. Then maybe they both can get the facts correct about history coming from both perpectives, and do a little 5th grade math while they are on the bus for ‘time out.’How is that ‘hopey change working out for you, Sister SP? Hoping you can get on another bus to ‘nowhere and change your mind about going back and completing middle school history classes.

• 15 Marlz
          June 5, 2011 at 4:30 pm

Don’t feel down about this. . . this could be a rouse to get her to run. Can you image her trying to beat the President in the election?

June 5, 2011 at 10:39 pm

I said that this President have had to deal with alot of crap, and the saddest part of it, the Democrats have been a royal pain also. They have not been solidly on this President’s side. Sarah Palin is a dam idiot, and if America were ever that stupid to elect her, then America deserve to go straight to hell.

June 5, 2011 at 3:56 pm

Exactly meta. She couldn’t beat him in 2008 when she was even MORE popular and liked than now, so what makes him think she can beat PBO in 2012?

Clearly some of these so-called Democrats have their own jealousy of PBO that they are grappling with, along with their not-so subtle desire to see him fail.

• 18 meta
        June 5, 2011 at 5:26 pm

I meant Howard Dean. Yeesh, my typing not to mention editing is out of whack!

6. 19 Betsey
    June 5, 2011 at 3:25 pm

Here’s something to celebrate: a friend just returned from Egypt. There’s no way anyone would ever think she is anything but American, and kids flock to her everywhere, so they did there. They love Obama, and would point to the skin on their arms and say, “Obama!” And she would point to the very white, Irish skin on her arm and say, “Obama!” and they loved that, too. He is changing the world just by being exactly who he is, and every one of us who voted for him and support him are participating in a profound, worldwide change. All the rest is fear and noxious noise, and we should never take our eyes off the prize.

7. 25 HZ
    June 5, 2011 at 3:32 pm

It is so unkind and just plain stupid to not want to be grateful and be in a celebratory attitude when you can see and hear of your fellow citizens being able to go back to work. To be able to put food on the table, or even to still have a table to sit around as a family and share with your family some of the many necessary things they have been without for a few years, should be a time for all of us to celebrate with them and for them. And of course our President who did not give in to the chatter, but made a bold move and helped to bring the auto industry back is great to see the results. This is the type of goodness and positive things that are happening because of this President that we must and will rally around to continue to help so many who are still hurting. I want to be a part of that kind of kindness, caring, and compassion. I heard Mr. Fineman on a show make negative comments about the President’s trip to Ohio. I immediately turned the station OFF and went downstairs to clear my mind to allow that negative energy go away that almost came into my space. As I was at the kitchen sink,, I thought of the selfish and self-centered attitudes not even taking into account of the many families who were brought back together because of those jobs there at that plant. Speak on those things that are pure, loving, patient etc., but there he was bashing the President. I do believe that there are millions of young and older people who understand how just one set of jobs can help an entire city because this President did not give up on them. Children back in schools, food on the table, families sitting down and talking together rather than crying and worrying where they were going to live let alone eat a meal. Where are the hearts of these Mr. Fineman, etc. Better yet, what do they feed their hearts? I believe that we will make ANOTHER DIFFERENCE come 2012 for helping more families. We have a Presidenet who sees the world through a geniune heart filled with compassion and love for all people who want to make their lives better. We will help him with that foundation. I just cry when I witness such attitudes like I almost saw on that program. We are better than that. I just do not want to go to my grave and knowing that I could have helped someone out in a good and decent manner, and did not do it. One person can make a difference. We will start with each one of us. I will be gone, but you dear and precious young women and men will be able to tell your nieces, sons, daughters, grandchildren that you were making phone calls, driving seniors to polling places, registering new young people to vote, knocking on doors, going to meetings to help elect this President. This is the type of opportunities that will last a lifetime. Not riding on a bus with large signs , stopping and eating pizza with the man and making silly (do not know nothing about history) PLEASE EXCUSE THE DOUBLE NEGATIVE.talk of foolishness. You used your time to inform on the sincere issues, hands to help build a factory, arms to hold a child who can;t go to school because they lost their home; an elderly person going without meds because they did not get theri SS checks. That is the part where we will be judge, I feel. So let us Obama supporters focus on the things that REALLY matters and support our President. We can and will be fine as long as we stick together. Remember the same people with THE MONEY were around in 2008, but look who got to the Oval Office. Okay. We can do it again. Do Not Be Discouraged. Let’s Encourage Ourselves. We Are Going To Do This Believe in yourself. We are helping this President to what is just , fair and good for people.

• 26 utaustinliberal
      June 5, 2011 at 3:48 pm

Preach on HZ, preach on. I love your philosophy of life and how we should live it. We should always try to be our best everyday. Having a leader like PBO inspires not only those living in the United States, but people all over the world. And HZ I pray you have a long life to also join in the effort of telling all people how great President Obama is/was. We will prevail and we will get him a second term b/c in the end good always triumphs over evil. Keep the great comments coming HZ and I hope you’re having a fantastic sunday. :)

• 27 HZ
        June 5, 2011 at 4:18 pm

Yes, utausinliberal all I need is my robe and a great gospel choir. We will have church on the House and Senate floor. Maybe we could save some of those rascals from themselves. We will make it. I am trying to work by little senior self off. He is doing what I told so many students that they could do with hard work, and a mind to focus on the best that they are capable. It all makes me so proud of all of you. My heart sings with joy, and my tear bottle is almost full of sweet tears.

8. 30 meta
    June 5, 2011 at 3:40 pm

Rusty needs to step away from the glass. He’s really going off the deep end.

9. 32 anniebella
    June 5, 2011 at 3:46 pm

Let’s talk to the people who still have a job because of what this President did, and see if they think there is nothing to celebrate. This is the very reason why people better think long and hard when they go into that voting booth next November. People in Ohio and Michigan need to be reminded of these comments. By the end of the year GM suppose to hire back most of the people it let go. So if Boehner can’t celebrate this, I hope the people of Ohio give him something to celebrate, and that is all the time for him to spend on the golf course next November.

10. 33 anniebella
    June 5, 2011 at 3:51 pm

Not next November,but November 2012.

11. 34 Ceb
    June 5, 2011 at 3:51 pm

HZ,

Thank you for your comments and your love.

12. 36 anniebella
    June 5, 2011 at 3:58 pm

I would love to ask Brendan Buck where are the jobs his boss have save or produce? Boehner and his people are only trying to destroy jobs.

13. 37 Fred
    June 5, 2011 at 4:03 pm

hey John step away from the sauce buddy ;)

DNC where are you? This is a GIFT and ya’ll sitting on your collective arses waiting for what exactly? :roll:

• 38 HZ
      June 5, 2011 at 4:22 pm

Hi Fred, tell me, my friend. Hope you are feeling better.

• 39 Fred
        June 5, 2011 at 5:41 pm

not really :lol: HZ but coming here makes things better ;)

• 40 HZ
          June 5, 2011 at 6:07 pm

Oh, Fred. Can you have a delightful slice of chocolate cake? I made a tasty banana pudding this morning. Treat yourself to some great dessert, if you can. You are right, this is such a beautiful and fun place to be. I love all of you. You make me uplifted. Thank you, Fred.

• 41 M
            June 5, 2011 at 9:14 pm

HZ, you are just the best! Everyday your words make me smile. Enjoy the banana pudding!

• 42 HZ
              June 5, 2011 at 10:24 pm

M, I just enjoy you all so much here. You all are knowledgeable on the issues and you respect each other as you discuss the different points of view. I like the respect that you all show each other. I also enjoy the true spirit of caring when one of us is a little tired of all of the negative things that are being said about President Obama. I just heard saw that evil SP speaking about the President and how the economy is his fault, and how he has not done anything about it since taking office, and I got MAD. I hate lying on people. Then so lady on the streets game so stupid answer(and you can tell she does not keep up with the facts or understand the awful mess that the President Obama inherited, and I want to slap these people. So I need to just read, and stay calm before I get my heart off center. I just feel that it is unfair for Mitty, SP, and Tim, try to come in and take credit for all of President Obama’s hard work,and our hard work and talking smack about taking back the WH. But you know, come H… or High water, they WILL NOT Come In like this. Not On Our Watch. We have worked so hard. I guess, I am just tired. So I need to put on some music and light some candles. I really do have a dislike for this crap. I am sorry. Please forgive me for talking like this. It just hurt so badly at times, and I can’t be strong tonight. But I will rise again.

• 43 B
                June 6, 2011 at 1:46 am

This is my first time on this site. But HZ I lagree with every word you write. Thank you for being so thoughtful and compassionate. I too am offended by what the republican haters have said to demonize the President and belittle his enormous accomplishments… but they should be careful of what they say, because we are listening and reading, and we are not stupid. Boehner does not have to wonder where his next meal will come from, if his house will foroeclose, how his family will be taken care of, will he get medical care if he gets sick…. no, no, no, we the taxpayers have already taken care of those expenses for him. He has no heart, no empathy for the poor and I truly believe Boehner and his ilks are doing this to rid America of all poor people, old people, sick people, immigant people and all people who do not fit their mold. They want to change medeicare at the expense of the poor in favor of the ultra rich, BUT they will never succeed!!!

President Obama is for the “little” people who are the majority. Its time for them to put on their thinking cap and see who is on their side. Like you, I will work my butt off to make sure eligible voters are registered, to assist in taking them to the polls, to educate them on the dangers of sitting idly by and encourage them to become involved, not to be fooled by the lies as told by palin, pawlenty, gingrich, boehner, and others. Remember Mitt rommey, when
                asked what he would do for the auto industry, said “let them go bankrupt”. Now that they are making great profits, have repaid their loans and are rehiring their workers, romney had the unmitigated gall to say that President Obama used his ideas. My greatest concern is that all those auto workers whose jobs were saved by President Obama will reutn the favor in 2012 and vote for him, even if they are republicans.

Keep up the good work, and have a great week.

• 44 M
                June 6, 2011 at 2:18 am

Oh HZ, I know what you mean about the hatred and negativity. It is so dishesrting, but you will rise again, we will ruse again and PBO will continue to do excellent work and he’ll continue to stand tall and make us proud. Love to you.

14. 46 Sonjia Duncan
    June 5, 2011 at 11:35 pm

Job well done, they are a winning team. It’s great when we have a working government. We are trying to be Americans working together, the auto co. proved we can do it.