Jun

gop to the half-termer: ‘it’s over’

John Dickerson (Slate): The (Half-Termer) says George Washington is her favorite founder because he was reluctant to serve but answered the call of duty. She likes to think of herself this way, answering the needs of a clamoring electorate. That is part of the cinematic beauty of her bus tour: The crowds that greet her can represent that call to take up their standard and head into presidential battle on their behalf.

There’s only one problem: The call isn’t coming. That’s the clear message in a new CBS News poll of the Republican field. Taken after the (Half-Termer) bus tour started rolling, it asked Republicans whether she should run. By a 20-point margin (54 percent to 34 percent), Republicans said she should not run. Among Tea Party supporters, where she has her strongest following, she is also waved off against a run. Half say she should not run; 38 percent say she should….

…. Some 36 percent of Republican voters have an unfavorable view of her, compared with the 37 percent that have a favorable view. Her favorability rating has declined since April.

…Perhaps the grim developments in the face of her latest public bus tour may only spur her interest in running to prove that she can not only show the pundits she’s right but that she can defy political gravity. Still, if Paul Revere were involved in politics today, he might be ringing those warning bells.

More here

41 Responses to “gop to the half-termer: ‘it’s over’”

1. 1 Hachikō
    June 9, 2011 at 11:53 am

Palin doesn’t care about that. She lives in her own little world surrounded by people who will only tell her what she wants to hear. Her insatiable greed, narcissism, and blind ambition are pathological. She can’t help herself. She’ll run. Polls be damned. She’ll run.

• June 9, 2011 at 12:02 pm

Hey Hachikō, I’m never sure whether she’ll decide to run or not, her ego and lust for attention would certainly suggest she would, but even she must be terrified of these polls – how wouid her bonkers narcissism cope with humiliation? I’m guessing, in light of her embarrassing ratings in all recent polls (not just this one), she’ll opt not to run, declaring to the world that she would better serve humanity by staying outside politics, but treating us all (well, Fox viewers) to her, um, thoughts on the issues of the day. We’ll see!

• June 9, 2011 at 12:12 pm

I constantly finding it amazing how much people can block out information like that found in these polls. Its leading me to the conclusion that she actually doesn’t “see” it.

I think the bigger issue for her in this decision is the actual work she’d have to put in to give it a go. She’s not likely to want to do the kind of retail politics that are especially important in Iowa and NH. But then again, she does seem to think she can “tweet” her way through that problem.

I’d say that we should never underestimate the power of delusion.

• 4 meta
        June 9, 2011 at 12:25 pm

I tend to agree. She won’t run because she will be crushed like a bug. Although she plays the victim card to the nth power, I think she isn’t built for the kind of demolition her frail ego would suffer because she doesn’t have the work ethic or the intelligence to build a campaign that is worth the time of day. Remember, she has no platform. Only two-line mean girl tweets that ring hollow. That won’t stop the tabloid MSM from chasing her but in time it won’t win her any votes. The real question is, who will she throw her support to once the primaries get going?

• 5 Hachikō
        June 9, 2011 at 12:57 pm

Chip, you’re applying logic. That’s your problem. You’ve got to remove all filters – especially the logic filter. Then you’ll get it. ;-) She’ll run. You’ll see.

Polls are a snapshot in time. With enough media attention and her name and face constantly in the news, her ratings will go up. She’ll run. You’ll see. :-D

• June 9, 2011 at 12:59 pm

“Chip, you’re applying logic. That’s your problem”
          :lol:

You’re right, logic and the half-termer shouldn’t really appear in the same sentence, uncomfortable bed-fellows!

• 7 dotster
        June 9, 2011 at 1:24 pm

haha—-“better serve humanity”—-hahahahaha—holding my sides, doubled over in gales of laughter—–hahahaha!

• 9 sherijr
      June 9, 2011 at 12:12 pm

Yes thats my thinking too Hachiko.. she doesn’t really give a dang what the repubs or the pundits or anyone else says.. if her little brain tells her something is so.. then it is so.

• 10 dotster
        June 9, 2011 at 1:24 pm

and she thinks God has chosen her. Yikes!

• 11 HZ
          June 9, 2011 at 2:16 pm

hi dotster, she should read her Bible(if she is truthful in those comments). I do not believe that God has chosen Sp or anyone with her hateful, meanspirit to serve people of this country. We know that there is a lot of hateful people and deeds being done in the name of God, and that is the sad thing about it all. They use God to draw in these people who do not know any better who God is of the Bible. They mock him for their benefit. And you know, I really do think that God is tired of having these ugly, hateful and vile personalities place on his name and attributes. God’w words(which she said she reads and believe in) does not tell us to give to the rich and allow the children to go hunger, mothers to be mistreated by their government, senior to take half or no pill at all because of no fault of their own, they can’t afford to do so. God does not put people of the government to continue year after year continue to oppress people. He said, “Woe to those who oppress them.” I am sick of her, and I know that the majority of the American people are not asking God to choose SP, and she is just lying on God. She needs to get someplace and fall on her knees and pray for forgivesness for what she is constantly saying about the President, his Administration in vile and ugly ways. She needs to pray for forgivness to change her evil ways of taking people money and living like she is some queen that we want. Not me, Not now. SP is creating so much hate, distruction within our country, and she will have to answer to all of this mess. Karma is a bad fellow to play with. I had to vent because every since John McCain brought this woman on the stage, it has been a plain mess of hate, disruptions, and blind ambition by this hate woman. It will come back and bite her one day.

• 12 HZ
            June 9, 2011 at 2:22 pm

I cna’t see what I am typing, so please excuse the grammar. I do apologize to my family, but I am so tired of this woman. My tears that I cry out to God each day are bitter, but I do believe that they will flow into his “bottle ” that he says He keeps our tears will turn into a sweet fragrance. My heart pains me about this woman and what she is doing to this country. I am tired of her. But I believe in my heart that my prayers will be answered for the good. I have faith.

• June 9, 2011 at 6:34 pm

Amen, Amen Amen! Oh and lets not forget about the Reverend Huckabee, lying on our Beloved Prez, and hinting Assassanation and all. Yes *HZ* I too am so sick of the Palin and the McShame, they are absolutely sickening

• 14 DreamChaser57
              June 10, 2011 at 2:19 am

Huckabee did what!?!!? Oh no, are you serious. I used to think he was fairly sensible, but he has proven to be a complete cad.

• 15 africa
      June 9, 2011 at 1:16 pm

Her narcissism will not allow her to bow out easily. Polls be damned, she knows she is the best thing for America, and no matter what people say, she is the one. And don’t forget, she is always right. Nothing she does is wrong, even it is as blatant as the Paul Revere fiaso.

2. 17 PoliticalJunkessa
    June 9, 2011 at 11:56 am

Run, Sarah, Run!

• June 9, 2011 at 11:57 am

:lol: My feelings too, I was almost disappointed by that poll!

• 19 Betsey
        June 9, 2011 at 12:28 pm

My thought, too!. And when I first had it, I thought, how perverse. But now I see I’m in good company! Problem with our perversity is that she’ll debase the whole process, so I alternate between ‘pass the popcorn’ and ‘man the ramparts ‘in my reactions.

• 20 SUE DUVALL SMITH
      June 9, 2011 at 12:00 pm

AMEN TO THAT!LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!…..I COULD ALWAYS USE A GOOD LAUGH!…:)))))))))

• 21 africa
      June 9, 2011 at 1:21 pm

What you said. She and her BFF are already butting heads. Lawd, I don’t take anyone of these Repubs for granted, but I want Wasilla woman to run. Indeed, jump in girl. Don’t let them tell you what you can and cannot do.

• 22 Sandy1110
        June 9, 2011 at 3:35 pm

I don’t want her to run. For one thing, the idea that PBO would have to actually debate her as a peer is an insult. She’s not fit to carry his shoes, intellectually speaking.

Besides that, she does nothing but incite hate and fear from the ignorant crowd. Some of her followers brought stuffed monkeys with Obama’s name on them to her rallies in 2008. She needs to go away.

3. 23 meta
    June 9, 2011 at 12:25 pm

Love this graphic, Chips!!

4. 26 Betty's Girl
    June 9, 2011 at 12:30 pm

She has some powerful people or entity behind her because she should’ve been dead a long time ago. For some reason many in the Repub party are afraid of her. I would think it would be Ailes or whatever his name is

5. 27 kittypat
    June 9, 2011 at 12:33 pm

Maybe she’ll run as a third party candidate… :), just typing that made me feel better

6. 32 anniebella
    June 9, 2011 at 12:33 pm

I think the media want Palin to run. Not because they think she can win, but because she is a joke. She would give them something to talk about, something to laugh about all the time. You never know what stupid thing would come out of her mouth.

7. 34 carolyn
    June 9, 2011 at 12:57 pm

Yes, Palin would be the media’s dream candidate….always something new to follow, ridicule, praise…whatever the mood of the day. However, she really is old news. In 2008 she was brand new, and somewhat exotic…after all someone from Alaska?! Now, she’s trite. Really the more she talks, the lower her numbers go. I have no idea whether she’ll actually run or not, but I do know she’ll keep the suspense going until she has to fish or cut bait. The suspense is what keeps her dollars coming in, and the spotight on her. When and if she actually says no, all that will disappear, just like it has with Huckabee and Trump. I do know she doesn’t have the discipline or work ethic to actually run a campaign organization. Work is not in her vocabulary.

8. 35 halo
    June 9, 2011 at 1:13 pm

RUN SARAH RUN

9. 36 Carla S
    June 9, 2011 at 2:34 pm

I so want her to run! It would add flavor and chaos to the GOP field. Let the other GOPers debate her and call her out (they have been silent thus far).

10. 37 Cindy Sweatt
    June 9, 2011 at 3:00 pm

I truly believe the Republican party is very organized. I believe that SP is just a ruse. Nothing but a big distraction. Mit Romney too, just a distraction. I feel that Huntsman will slip in and be the Republican nomination. He is the only dangerous candidate in the field. He will be hard to beat. Keep your eyes on him. SP would not chance losing-her ego and all. Mark my words, Huntsman will be the candidate, so we need to start getting busy on that front.

11. 38 zizi
    June 9, 2011 at 3:07 pm

From the get go, Alaska Grifter has been running a PERVERTED redux of candidate Obama’s run in 2007-2008. Every single action she has taken has beeen a cynical repeat of candidate Obama’s campaign. Here are some perverse parallels.:

1) Senator Obama writes two books ; Alaska Grifter acquires 2 ghost-written books

2) Candidate Obama is photogenic with a beautiful family: McCain’s handlers admit they chose her to replicate the same image

3) Candidate Obama is mocked for being a Paris Hilton-like celebrity: Palin craves the same celebrity still.

4) Candidate Obama launched the famous busrides that garnered him support across Iowa and the rest of the country such that the images of the Obama family on the RV and at the Iowa fair became iconic images of his broadening national appeal: Palin’s bus-rides seek so desperately to replicate that media attention but she botches it.

5) Candidate & President Obama is revered internationally: Palin hogs every international spotlight she can worm her way onto. The quest to meet Margaret Thatcher is because she desperately wants the images that were beamed out of Ireland and England two weeks ago, out of Berlin 3 years ago, or Prague, Or Indonesia, or Ghana etc.

So now she is going to Sudan to hog the spotlight for a a yeoman’s job that President Obama and Special Envoy Scott Gratian did to help birth Southern Sudan’s independence, Right on cue trying to take credit for other people’s work.

There are many many more such perverse parallels, it literally says she is a stalker. She has been stalking this President this entire period you gotta believe that it is entirely possible she wants him badly in addition to wanting everything that he has. And she has made a lot of money pursuing this psychotic obsession, it’s frightening. I dare say she is evil.

12. 40 zizi
    June 9, 2011 at 3:15 pm

BREAKING: Newt Gingriche’s campaign manager and staffers resign en mass. Well well…..

13. 41 Titti
    June 10, 2011 at 7:04 am

Hope this woman gets the ‘call’ from the ‘Lord’ not to run – guessing she has the ‘ear’ of the ‘Lord’ too (or is it exclusive to the Huckstar). This circus needs to end.