Jun

la isla del encanto

President Obama and Puerto Rico’s Congressional Representative Pedro Pierluisi arrive at Muniz Air National Guard Base

NYT: ….By the time Air Force One landed just before noon in the first “official” visit of a sitting American president since John F. Kennedy, the crowd gathered in a hot hangar at Luis Munoz Marin International Airport had swelled to more than 1,000.

…The president’s schedule included the speech at the airport hangar, a visit to La Fortaleza, the longest-serving governor’s mansion in the Western Hemisphere (the White House says), a tour of the Kennedy Suite, where President Kennedy stayed in 1961, and a concert by a youth orchestra.

Perhaps more important on Mr. Obama’s itinerary, though, was the interviews he scheduled with El Nuevo Dia and Univision of Puerto Rico, and a fund-raising event Tuesday afternoon meant to plump Democratic National Committee coffers.

…About half of Puerto Ricans here now advocate statehood. The other half, more or less, prefer that the island remain a commonwealth because they are concerned about keeping its cultural identity intact. A few would like independence.

Puerto Ricans hold American citizenship and can be drafted, but the territory has no voting representative in Congress. And while Puerto Ricans in Puerto Rico can vote in a presidential primary, they cannot vote in general presidential elections. Only Puerto Ricans in the United States can.

….About that first official visit business: Other sitting American presidents have certainly been to Puerto Rico. President Gerald R. Ford came in 1976, but it was for a Group of Seven economic summit, so that apparently doesn’t count as official, since it wasn’t for official Puerto Rico business. Ditto for President Lyndon B. Johnson – he came in 1968, but it was just to visit a military base on the island, so that’s not being considered official either….

President Obama greets singer Marc Anthony at Luis Munoz Marin International Airport

From left, Musician Marc Antony, Puerto Rico Mayor Jorge Santini Padilla, President Obama, Puerto Rico Gov. Luis Fortuno, Rep. Pedor Pierluisi, D-Puerto Rico, and Adjutant General of the Puerto Rico National Guard Antonio J. Vicens

…arriving to speak to a crowd at an airport hanger at Muniz Air National Guard Base

President Obama, Gov. Luis Fortuno and Rep. Pedor Pierluisi, D-Puerto Rico, tour La Fortaleza

….with Puerto Rico Gov. Luis Fortuno

….with Puerto Rico Gov. Luis Fortuno, his wife Luce Vela and Resident Commissioner Pedro Pierluisi

…. with Sen. Alejandro Garcia Padilla at Kasalta bakery

A woman holds an image of President Obama, dressed as Superman, as she waits for the presidential motorcade in San Juan

President Obama waves from Air Force One prior to departing Luis Munoz Marin International Airport

93 Responses to “la isla del encanto”

1. 1 Fred
    June 14, 2011 at 11:44 am

they are going crazy :lol:

2. 2 meta
    June 14, 2011 at 11:45 am

BIENVENIDOS, Presidente!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. June 14, 2011 at 11:46 am

He looks soooooooooooooooo good. Rested. Full of energy. Go PBO! They love him. Suck on it, rethugs.

4. 4 Jessica
    June 14, 2011 at 11:47 am

Was Marc Anthony there descending the stairs with the Prez? He’s having the Best Week Ever. He sang at the Finals and now this.

5. 9 PoliticalJunkessa
    June 14, 2011 at 11:53 am

I’m peeking at the CNN feed now. Mi Presidente es muy guapo en Puerto Rico. ! Estan locos por Obama! He looks muy, muy bueno.

6. 10 PoliticalJunkessa
    June 14, 2011 at 11:58 am

He’s shaking las manos ahora. Mucho amor de las gentes. Lots of smiles, too! Goodness, he looks great with that tan. Que lindo ;).

7. 11 PoliticalJunkessa
    June 14, 2011 at 12:02 pm

Pete Souza is right there moving along with El Presidente. Hardest working photographer in life.

• 12 SUE DUVALL SMITH
      June 14, 2011 at 12:18 pm

YOU’D BETTER BELIEVE SOUZA KEEPS UP WITH HIS MORNING RATION OF WHEATIES!!!!!!! HE NEEDS THEM TO KEEP UP WITH OUR ENERGIZER BUNNY PREZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!

8. 13 Me4obama
    June 14, 2011 at 12:07 pm

That’s huge for Mark Anthony. Matt Damon won’t be happy.

• 14 kels
      June 14, 2011 at 12:15 pm

Matt Damon is looking like such a chump these days! LOL. The final nail in the coffin will be if Ben Affleck is ever invited to the White House. LOL

• 15 theo67
        June 14, 2011 at 12:22 pm

I missed the whole thing stuck in LA traffic! Argghhh – but the commentary from you all is great!

As for Ben Affleck, he was smart not to immediately jump on the “bash Obama” bandwagon with his friend, but he said “I’ll comment at a later time”, which puts him in the suspect category for me.

• 16 Me4obama
          June 14, 2011 at 12:27 pm

Chill out Ben Affleck, unless you want your already fragile carrier to end. JLO will whip up the Hispanic Vote so who needs Affleck!

• June 14, 2011 at 12:42 pm

You know,, Me4obama,

I think we should be more positive to Ben Affleck (and other artists). There is a reason he declined to speak off the cuff which, to me, means he’s persuadable. Maybe, we should e-mail him, reinforcing the importance of pragmatic progressiveness over the non reality based professional left.

So glad to hear J-Lo is committed to GOT latino/a V.

• 18 Jessica
          June 14, 2011 at 12:47 pm

Matt Damon way jumped the gun on that bash Obama bandwagon and now he looks like a complete fool now that tide is turning in favor of the President. He looks like an idiot even amongst his Hollywood colleagues.

9. 19 GGail
    June 14, 2011 at 12:12 pm

That placed was PACKED! Wall to wall and deep they stood and cheered for POTUS! I love seeing the smiles and eager hands reaching out for a handshake. He even took pictures with two little girls. You could see the sweat sheen appearing across his forehead, but he kept pressing on shaking hands. I saw one lady had his children’s book Of Thee I Sing, and Reggie took it – I guess for POTUS to autograph later. All in all, it was just lovely! He is admired around the world!!! He does his research and homework to make sure his speeches are relevant to the region that he’s visiting. Let’s see a repug receive such a reception – I THINK NOT! OBAMA/BIDEN 2012. Thanks Chipsticks for the coverage!

10. 20 SUE DUVALL SMITH
    June 14, 2011 at 12:13 pm

THERE IS NO EXCUSE FOR A SITTING PRESIDENT NOT TO HAVE BEEN THERE FOR DECADES….LEAVE IT TO OUR AWESOME PRESIDENT TO BRING BADLY NEEDED ‘CHANGE’ TO PUERTO RICO!

• 21 Fred
      June 14, 2011 at 12:16 pm

yeah I don’t understand that either Sue

• 22 SUE DUVALL SMITH
        June 14, 2011 at 12:19 pm

IT SHOULD NEVER HAVE HAPPENED!…WE ARE ALL ‘ONE’ AND NOONE SHOULD BE IGNORED! OUR PRESIDENT’S COMPASSION IS ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL!

• 23 PoliticalJunkessa
      June 14, 2011 at 12:49 pm

Yeah, Sue, that was really startling to hear. No comprendo.

• 24 PoliticalJunkessa
        June 14, 2011 at 12:52 pm

Maybe past presidents didn’t care because there were no votes there? (Puerto Ricans can’t vote for President, although they can vote in primaries.) Well, we know this Presidente cares regardless.

11. 25 kels
    June 14, 2011 at 12:14 pm

OMG! I blushed like a school girl when POTUS took his jacket off! I love when he does that! It was always my favorite moment at his rallies during the campaign! LOL

My sister lives in NYC and most of her co-workers are Puerto Rican. She said they all watched POTUS online in the office.

12. 37 SUE DUVALL SMITH
    June 14, 2011 at 12:21 pm

A LEADER IS GREAT WHEN HE WELCOMES ‘ALL’ INTO HIS HEART…PRESIDENT OBAMA NEVER FORGETS!

• June 14, 2011 at 12:55 pm

Great comment SUE,

Obama is ALL heart which is why I don’t understand the MSM narrative of PBO being too professorial and detached. Now he approaches problem solving with well honed critical thinking skills but his purpose for going through all this BS is clearly is empathy and love for Americans, which certainly include the least of us.

• 39 SUE DUVALL SMITH
        June 14, 2011 at 1:16 pm

WHEN THEY CAN’T FIND ANYTHING WRONG AND DON’T KNOW HOW TO FIGHT IT…THEY WILL MAKE IT UP!

13. June 14, 2011 at 12:23 pm

Listening to Ed Schultz show (haven’t in a long while but wanted to here his take on GOP clown show) and he’s making a big deal out of PBO’s answer to Curry ‘s question “are there some days where you think one term is enough?”

What an jerk, Ed is. He’s taking PBO’s response to mean maybe he doesn’t want to be president. These repubs in liberal clothing are full of @$#%!

• 41 SUE DUVALL SMITH
      June 14, 2011 at 12:27 pm

I’M SURE ALOT OF PEOPLE OUT THERE DON’T UNDERSTAND PRESIDENT OBAMA’S PERSEVERANCE BECAUSE THEY DON’T HAVE IT THEMSELVES. THEY KEEP WAITING FOR HIM TO GIVE IT ALL UP. IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN BECAUSE HE IS A RIGHTEOUS,JUST AND COMPASSIONATE MAN AND HE HOLDS A GREAT LOVE FOR NOT ONLY AMERICA BUT THE WORLD AS A WHOLE….HE HAS A VISION HE INTENDS TO COMPLETE!

• 42 Jessica
      June 14, 2011 at 12:27 pm

I saw that and knew it would be blown out of proportion. Frankly he would be lying to say he didn’t have those days, especially since he’s working so hard. The toll this job has taken on him is insane and he gets no support except from his family and the Bidens. Sad.

• 43 theo67
      June 14, 2011 at 12:28 pm

I never listen to Ed if I can help it. He’s so confused, you never know from one day to the next whether he’ll show up as a Republican or as the voice of the working class. Either way, he’s not effective in getting things done, and right now, we need people who will get things done. After he told people not to vote, I was done with him.

• 47 africa
      June 14, 2011 at 12:56 pm

POB, what is he yapping about. I just saw that part of the clip and the president finished on saying as long as he’s got his family behind him then he’s got enough energy to finish the job.

To reach the conclusion that POB maybe doesn’t want to be president is searching for a topic that bears no substance. He needs to get a life. How he pulled that out of this little clip is beyond me.

• 48 Allison
        June 14, 2011 at 2:32 pm

Is is a major story on Yahoo now!!!! They are fawning all over that crazy, lying Bachman and playing up Obama content as a one termer!!!!! OMG! Why would he say that though? I am so depressed. Talk about taking the wind out of my sails. We need him fired up!!!!

• 49 GGail
          June 14, 2011 at 4:17 pm

Again, the teaser heading is slanted to stir people up. Read or listen to the Curry interview and you will clearly understand what the President said. Sound bites are just that – bites to mislead. Come on People!

• 50 lochelle
            June 14, 2011 at 4:51 pm

I agree, GG. I have always thought Yahoo has misleading (and right slanted) headlines. It the old bait and switch. People need to calm down and make their own conclusions based on the facts, not what the media wants you to believe. They actually would want us to believe that Michelle Bachman (of all people) is a viable candidate. Can you imagine that psycho as the leader of the free world??!! Anyway, all this ish screams agenda and desperation for ratings.

The second part of the Today interview was actually good and you can see how he lights up when he talks about his family and how they support him. We need to celebrate that and stop getting upset about the stupid stuff. If you see a headline that does not fit into any kind of common sense mode, don’t click especially if it is going to make you upset.

• 52 Anonymous
          June 14, 2011 at 6:59 pm

Come on Allison, we got a long way to go (until Nov 2012)…this kind of craziness is just getting started and not going to stop (it’s going to get worse)…these folks know that they have a snowball in hell of a chance to win in 2012 (against PBO)…they feel that their only resort is to bully their way in…we got to be strong, stay strong and know that we know what is (and is not) and what will be…

OBAMA/BIDEN 2012

• 53 Anonymous
        June 14, 2011 at 6:50 pm

Ed and the rest of them (I am watching Cenk and yelling and screaming) have selective hearing…they hear one or two words and then they make up their minds what the person is saying (so they are not really listening) before the person can complete a thught or sentence. These people think they are effective…they are a bunch of sorry useless beings…well at least in what they think they are suppose to be doing.

14. June 14, 2011 at 12:28 pm

Caller to Ed, calling him out for his comment.

• 55 theo67
      June 14, 2011 at 12:31 pm

Good – I heard a pretty intelligent person call into the Stephanie Miller show this morning. He praised her for standing staunchly by the President, and went to great lengths to explain the economy and how this president had accomplished an amazing feat rescuing the economy from the brink of depression. It was beautiful. I’m hearing more and more people call into these shows. If I had a car phone, I would call in each morning.

• 56 Charmed
        June 14, 2011 at 4:04 pm

I miss listening to Stephanie Miller but I can only take it on Wednesday’s when Hal is on, I can NOT take the moaning mooks.

• 57 theo67
          June 14, 2011 at 4:32 pm

When they go a little crazy, I switch to Wednesday’s only, too. For now, they’re behaving, although there’s too much Weiner nonsense.

• 58 africa
      June 14, 2011 at 12:59 pm

Good. I am going to send him a note, too. Any intelligent person listening to the president does not come away with that foolishness, not even the Romneys and Pawlentys of this world. Wow, what a stretch.

15. 59 AnitaW
    June 14, 2011 at 12:31 pm

Like that video clip. I wish my Spanish was better so that I could understand what the news person was saying.

16. 60 theo67
    June 14, 2011 at 12:38 pm

Quick question – why is Mark Anthony wearing a shirt that is open to his navel to meet the President? :?

• 61 Me4obama
      June 14, 2011 at 12:46 pm

That is his signature look.

• 62 theo67
        June 14, 2011 at 2:18 pm

Wow – that’s some signature! :)

Unfortunately, I think it’s wasted when standing next to President Obama… the President wins, hands down…

• 63 m
          June 14, 2011 at 3:17 pm

I love this comment fred “wow – that’s some signature!” it does look very odd i must say. maybe if he happened to be on stage at the moment preforming the shirt unbuttoned like that might not look as strange.

June 14, 2011 at 12:56 pm

ROFLMAO!!!! He wants to look “sexy” for the millions of young WOMEN (who love to watch the President on his travels)….that’s what Anthony is doing…

• 65 SUE DUVALL SMITH
      June 14, 2011 at 1:18 pm

THAT’S HIS WAY OF KEEPING J-LO HAPPY! ANY MORE QUESTIONS? LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!

• 66 SUE DUVALL SMITH
        June 14, 2011 at 1:19 pm

IF YOU WERE MARRIED TO J-LO…YOU PROBABLY WOULDN’T WEAR A SHIRT! PERSONALLY…I DON’T KNOW HOW THE MAN GETS OUT OF THE HOUSE IN THE MORNIN!….GREAT PERSEVERANCE INDEED!

17. June 14, 2011 at 12:39 pm

Leo Gerado, union head, on Ed show said none of the GOP clowns hold a candle to President Obama when it comes to intellect. And he praises PBO on all his policies. Calls the GOP liars. Neat.

18. June 14, 2011 at 12:58 pm

I love your last photo, Chipsticks, of PBO running up the stairs: he emanates vigor and enthusiasm.

19. 70 StR
    June 14, 2011 at 12:58 pm

PR, like Washington DC, will never be given voting rights because the GOP know they’d be votes for Democrats.

June 14, 2011 at 1:02 pm

Why does our President run up the stairs so quickly? He needs to walk and hold the rails. I don’t want him falling on any steps and suffering a fractured knee. I want my President to be healthy

21. 73 SUE DUVALL SMITH
    June 14, 2011 at 1:11 pm

CNN JUST ANNOUNCED THAT WEINER MAY RESIGN IN A COUPLE OF DAYS!

• June 14, 2011 at 1:21 pm

Uh, oh. Maybe because of these bad poll numbers.

Weiner’s bad poll numbers
      Anthony Weiner has become one of the most unpopular figures in the history of PPP’s polling and a majority of Americans now think he should resign.

70% of voters nationally have an unfavorable opinion of Weiner compared to just 8% with a positive one. He’s really burned his bridges with pretty much everyone. Certainly his numbers are their worst with Republicans. He has a 3/85 favorability spread with them. But it’s hard to take much positive from his 14/60 standing with independents or the 8/63 he pulls with Democrats either.

• 75 AnitaW
        June 14, 2011 at 1:36 pm

What a doofus. I was listening to the radio this morning and it was shocking how many folks were defending Weiner. He is sucking the oxygen out of the room. This is all the media wants to cover. Not the economy or jobs. No the fact another high target terroist was killed. Not the budget Congress needs to pass. Nothing but Weiner sexting. It’s beyond annoying. They need to get the most liberal Dem they can find and put the person up for a special election in this district and move on.

22. 76 SUE DUVALL SMITH
    June 14, 2011 at 1:14 pm

I CERTAINLY HOPE PUERTO RICO GOES FOR STATEHOOD…I WELCOME THEM WITH OPEN ARMS. OUR COUNTRY IS SO BLESSED WITH OUR RAINBOWS OF DIVERSITY…..AS FOR GUN CONTROL…CNN ANNOUNCED THAT 70% OF CARTEL GUNS SIEZED CAME FROM THE U.S.! I’M ALL FOR BANNING ASSAULT WEAPONS WHICH SHOULD ONLY BE ALLOWED FOR LAW ENCORECEMENT AND THE MILITARY!

• 77 theo67
      June 14, 2011 at 2:11 pm

I’m with you. In England, even the police don’t carry guns while on “the beat”. And they seem to be doing just fine. I don’t understand why people need guns to live as normal citizens.

23. 78 isonprize
    June 14, 2011 at 1:27 pm

LOVE HOW HE SPRINTS UP THE STEPS!

24. 79 GGail
    June 14, 2011 at 2:52 pm

GREAT PICS ADDED! Thanks Chipsticks.

25. 80 PoliticalJunkessa
    June 14, 2011 at 3:06 pm

Thanks for adding more pics, Chips.

Ay Dios Mio — he looks CALIENTE swagging into that restaurant. Damn!

26. 81 Anonymous
    June 14, 2011 at 3:25 pm

I love to see how he is received outside of this country. It is a joy to behold. I think this energizes him. Love it. ObamaBiden/2012. I’m in. Yes we will again!

27. 82 Senior4Obama
    June 14, 2011 at 3:28 pm

I love to see how he is received outside of this country. It is a joy to behold. I think this energizes him. Love it. Obama/Biden2012. Yes we will again!

28. 83 LAPalm
    June 14, 2011 at 3:40 pm

Hello Everyone hope you all are having a wonderful day
    Chipsticks you are the best at posting the most wonderful
    pictures of the Presidents road trips…thank you so much
    for all you do…
    One thing for sure after last nights debate my money was
    in the mail today..before Gibbs email…talk about a Wake-up
    Call…..

• 84 GGail
      June 14, 2011 at 4:22 pm

Way to go LAPalm! Every dollar helps the DNC and OFA to fight the good fight against the repulsive repugs! DNC is even saying that as little as $3.00 will help. And don’t forget to sign the petitions telling Boehner and his ilk to lay off of our Social Security and Medicare!

• 85 theo67
      June 14, 2011 at 4:34 pm

I forwarded Gibbs’ email to everyone I know who is eligible to donate.

29. 86 Me4obama
    June 14, 2011 at 4:21 pm

Another good reporting wall to wall by the one and only Chipsticks. I Love you Girl.

30. 89 Arvind Raja
    June 14, 2011 at 5:23 pm

Wonderful Puerto Rico pictures. Ah, the swagger! AF1 in the background looks really cool!

31. 90 carolyn
    June 14, 2011 at 7:49 pm

Actually, I’d say there was a lot of eye candy there today! Senator Padilla and Governor Fortuno are more than all right I’d say!

32. 91 Asher in Boston
    June 14, 2011 at 8:17 pm

Great pics, and yes, carolyn, a lott of eye candy there. Wow, potus was mobbed by love from the pueto ricans. Our Potus is trully loved world wide that is why the teabaggers hate him so much. Its all jealousy and envy.

33. 92 isonprize
    June 14, 2011 at 9:51 pm

Am I crazy to say that I LOVE to see President Obama eating? HE GETS IT IN!!! Like Reggie Love said, he will pretty much eat anything. I LOVE IT!!

34. 93 Titti
    June 15, 2011 at 9:28 am

Just love this guy, swagger for days. Thanks to the people of Puerto Rico for such a warm welcome.