Jun

‘rick perry: why he’s not the man to save the gop’

Ed Kilgore (New Republic): …. every one of (Rick Perry’s) supposed strengths turns out to be yoked to a big, potentially damaging weakness.

To begin, Texas’ economy may have done well during most of his ten-year-plus tenure as governor, but it’s done so at the price of very low levels of public services, high rates of poverty, and a long line of sweetheart corporate deals, not all of them successful, between Perry and some of his friends and allies, which could prove to be an opposition researcher’s playground.

Moreover, his budgetary record has also depended on some questionable accounting measures and a willingness to rely on the federal government he purports to loath (stimulus dollars played a big role in propping up the most recent Texas budget).

Second, while Perry has become a Tea Party favorite, he has done so in part by making inflammatory statements that may trouble even a healthy number of Republican primary voters, the most famous of which was his suggestion that secession might be on the table for Texas. In addition, he’s also made threats to withdraw the state from the Medicaid program … and even sought the power to opt Texas out of Social Security….

And finally, Perry is close to the Christian Right, but the fact of the matter is that he hasn’t chosen the most seemly of allies in that camp. As a follow-on to his famous “Pray for Rain” rally in April, he’s now planning an evangelical hoedown in August, called “The Response,” that features a sort of who’s who of radical theocrats, including John Hagee, the Christian Zionist leader whose support John McCain felt constrained to repudiate in 2008 after Hagee called Adolf Hitler an agent of God’s plans to return the Jews to their biblical homeland.

The expressed purpose of the upcoming event is to seek divine intervention to fix America, apparently via the propitiation of an angry God by the abandonment of such abominations as legalized abortion, same-sex relationships, and church-state separation…

Full article here

23 Responses to “‘rick perry: why he’s not the man to save the gop’”

1. 1 SUE DUVALL SMITH
    June 17, 2011 at 9:02 am

RICK PERRY IS BAD NEWS ALL THE WAY AROUND….THIS GUY NEEDS ‘ANGER MANAGEMENT’….HE’S A POOR EXAMPLE OF LEADERSHIP,HATEFUL AND MORE THAN LIKELY CONSORTS WITH THE MILITIAS. I’LL NEVER FORGET WHEN HE WANTED TEXAS TO SECEDE FROM THE UNION…THIS GUY IS A WALKING TIME BOMB OF TEMPRAMENT. HE USES THE NAME OF GOD AS IF HE WERE A CHRISTIAN AND IS ONE OF THOSE WHO TIES OUR PRESIDENT TO CONSPIRACY THEORIES. PLAIN AND SIMPLE…HE’S A NUTCASE! BTW…THE GUY DOES NOT ACT THE WAY A CHRISTIAN SHOULD ACT! HE’S NO CHRISTIAN.

• June 17, 2011 at 9:04 am

And his state is 23 billion dollars in debt!

• 3 SUE DUVALL SMITH
        June 17, 2011 at 9:13 am

HE’S A STICK OF DYNAMITE WAITING FOR A MATCH!….HE’S DANGEROUS!

• 4 Carol
        June 17, 2011 at 7:10 pm

No, our debt is larger than that….the comptroller ALWAYS hide the actual debt when it is requested. We have a rainy day fund generated by Lotto ticket sales of $8.2 billion that this tool will not use, some here are watching his trifling azz because we KNOW he is up to something with this fund, this money is suppose to be for education but of course these bastids put in a loop hole.

Ole Tricky ricky has NO intention of running for anything outside Texas, he won’t be able to stand the scrutiny.

2. 5 SUE DUVALL SMITH
    June 17, 2011 at 9:04 am

JOHN HAGEE IS DISGUSTING. I’M TIRED OF THESE YAHOOS WHO HAVE WRITTEN THEIR OWN BIBLE!

• June 17, 2011 at 9:07 am

Most of the time these bible thumpers, rail agains the gayz, and then end up being gay themselves!

• 7 SUE DUVALL SMITH
        June 17, 2011 at 9:12 am

JESUS CHRIST LOVES ALL OF US…HE CREATED US IN HIS IMAGE. IT IS NOT FOR US TO JUDGE…JUDGEMENT IS THE LORDS. THERE HAVE BEEN WAY TOO MANY WARS AROUND RELIGION BECAUSE PEOPLE TAKE UP THE ROLE OF GOD ON THIS PLANET. THEY ARE SO WRONG.

• June 17, 2011 at 9:15 am

YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH :-9

• June 17, 2011 at 3:40 pm

I do not listen to Hagee. When I find people like him and others who said not a word when G.W. Bush was in office, but now all of a sudden this President is so terrible, I will not listen to Hagee, Rod Parsley, or any of them.

3. 10 SUE DUVALL SMITH
    June 17, 2011 at 9:09 am

YOUR AFOREMENTIONED ARE THE REASONS WHY I AM AN OUTCAST IN MY CHURCH…I DO ALOT FOR MY CHURCH DESPITE THEIR THEOLOGICAL DISTORTION….I DO THESE THINGS BECAUSE I LOVE GOD AND LITTLE BY LITTLE THINGS ARE BEGINNING TO CHANGE. HOWEVER…MY FRIENDS AT THE CHURCH DON’T CALL ME AT HOME OR ASK ME TO GO ANYWHERE. THEY ARE AFRAID OF MY SUPPORT FOR PRESIDENT OBAMA. THEY PROBABLY THINK I’M A WITCH IN SHEEP’S CLOTHING!….OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH…..EVERYBODY RUN FROM SUE…..OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH!

• 11 Bill
      June 17, 2011 at 9:21 am

Sue, your church seems like a typical mainline church and is representative of why they are in decline. They now exist as social clubs and and do not tolerate anyone “different”. These churches have nothing to do with God. Hopefully at some point you are able to get away. Your comment is interesting, and I am thinking about you.

• 12 PoliticalJunkessa
      June 17, 2011 at 10:19 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: You are something else, Sue! Keep walking your walk — you’re a gem and your church is lucky to have you. There are probably more people than you know paying attention to your life. You are a gem :-P.

• 13 SUE DUVALL SMITH
        June 17, 2011 at 11:10 am

THANK YOU FOR YOUR COMMENTS…I WILL NOT GIVE UP…I AM THERE SEEKING CHANGE…I CAN’T GIVE UP…CHRIST DIDN’T AND NEITHER WILL OUR PRESIDENT. WE HAVE TO STICK THESE THINGS OUT IN ORDER TO BRING CHANGE WHERE IT IS NEEDED. WE ARE LACKING COMPASSION IN THIS COUNTRY. THE LORD HAS SUCH LOVE FOR US…OUR PRESIDENT IS A COMPASSIONATE SOUL WHO LOVES ALL PEOPLE…THAT’S WHY I STICK WITH HIM. WE NEED TO BRING AMERICA BACK TO THESE VALUES….SOONER OR LATER…I WILL WIN IN MY CHURCH BECAUSE MY HEART IS IN THE RIGHT PLACE!

4. 14 SUE DUVALL SMITH
    June 17, 2011 at 9:17 am

MY PASTOR AND HIS WIFE AREN’T LIKE THAT…MY PASTOR’S WIFE SAYS THINGS TO ME ABOUT THE PRESIDENT AND APOLOGIZES LATER. I JUST SMILE AND MOVE ON HOPING TO CHANGE THEM WITH MY ATTITUDE. THAT’S THE WAY YOU WIN THESE WARS ….LEADING BY EXAMPLE LIKE THE PRESIDENT. THEY RECENTLY ALLOWED ME TO TEACH SUNDAY SCHOOL. I EVEN HAD A CHURCH ELDER IN MY CLASS. THEY LOVED MY CLASS…INCH BY INCH I CAN GO A MILE!

5. 15 SUE DUVALL SMITH
    June 17, 2011 at 9:19 am

I AM SO EXCITED ABOUT TOMORROW…I WILL BE WITH HUNDREDS OF MY OBAMA FAMILY FOR NATIONAL SERVICE DAY. GOT MY GEAR READY…MY OBAMA SHIRT AND TONS OF OBAMA BUTTONS PINNED ALL OVER MY PURSE! IT’S GOING TO BE A GREAT DAY!

6. 16 SUE DUVALL SMITH
    June 17, 2011 at 9:21 am

PLEASE PRAY FOR GOOD WEATHER IN INDY TOMORROW…WE WILL BE OUT IN ‘MASS’ REGISTERING VOTERS AND GETTING PEOPLE ‘IN’ FOR 2012!

7. 17 SUE DUVALL SMITH
    June 17, 2011 at 9:24 am

IMMIGRANTS ALSO DON’T HAVE A CHANCE WITH PERRY IN TEXAS…HE’S NOT EXACTLY AN INDIVIDUAL WHO CARES FOR ANY COLOR OTHER THAN HIS OWN.

8. 18 Betsy
    June 17, 2011 at 10:38 am

Have a great day Sue. I admire you for your attitude and your willingness to be who you are. Way to Go!

• 19 SUE DUVALL SMITH
      June 17, 2011 at 11:12 am

BLESS YOU BETSY AND THANK YOU….HOWEVER…IT IS THE LORD WHO GIVES ME SUCH JOY AND PURPOSE.

9. 20 busbus
    June 17, 2011 at 11:16 am

Why would I want a person who thinks so little of the United States of America that he constantly threatens to SECEDE his state from this union of states to be it’s president? It doesn’t make sense! I asked the same question about a former vice presidential candidate who not only “pal around” with secessionists; but “sleeps” with one! As far as I’m concerned, if that was the game that this particular candidate wanted to play, then, this candidate was MORE THAN GUILTY BY ASSOCIATION!

If I were foolishly inclined to support and vote for either one — for ANY LEADERSHIP POSITION IN THESE UNITED STATES, you have my permission to have me declared as being a danger to myself and others.

10. June 17, 2011 at 3:44 pm

This Perry guy didn’t even want to be part of the United States, now he want to be President of the United States. Hack No!!!!!!!!!!!

11. 22 carolyn
    June 17, 2011 at 7:52 pm

He talks loud, but Texas would be in a bad way without the federal government: Fort Hood, Lackland Air Force Base, the burn hospital in San Antonio, NASA, to name just a few. They are some of the biggest leeches on the federal government. No More Texas Governors as president. We suffered under one for eight years!

12. 23 carolyn
    June 17, 2011 at 9:19 pm

Rachel Maddow is just completing an expose on Rick Perry and the sad state of Texas. The facts are phenomenal. This man who yelled about the stimulus, took the most money to try to balance the Texas Budget. Texas has the fourth largest deficit in the country. It has the MOST uninsured people in the country…25%! It has more people making less than the federal minimum wage than any other state! As Rachel said…when you hear him brag, think of my visual aid: A big loaf of baloney!
    Rick Perry is no good! Those are just three of the facts he’ll never admit. He would be easy to defeat…….I think.