Jun

‘dear mrs obama’

Chicago Tribune: With hundreds of letters arriving each week, first lady Michelle Obama’s mailbag is intriguing more for its variety than its volume.

….Obama gets about 500 to 700 messages a week, including letters, emails and faxes, said Howli Ledbetter, her correspondence director.

….Laura Barajas, 13, of Cicero, with her classmates wrote the first lady last year. Laura pledged to give up chips, except for a small bag on Sundays. The pledge didn’t last long, the girl said, but Obama’s letter has. “I thought it was cool,” Laura said. “I didn’t think she was going to write back.”

Aides to the first lady also respond to mail sent to her daughters, Malia and Sasha; her live-in mother, Marian Robinson; and the family’s Portuguese water dog, Bo.

Meagan Moeggenborg, 10, of St. Johns, Mich., wrote Bo last fall saying her two cats don’t like dogs, but her brother, Reese, does. “If he was with you, I bet he would pet you to death,” she wrote.

Her reward? A letter from the first lady and a postcard of Bo with such facts as his origins (born in 2008 in Texas), what he likes to eat (tomatoes or toys) and what he hopes to achieve (“make friends with foreign dignitaries”).

Meagan read the letter to her fourth-grade class. “People were, like, wide-eyed,” she said. “I felt proud and excited.”

The missive is now kept in her “memory box,” a blue plastic storage container relegated to the basement.

More here

13 Responses to “‘dear mrs obama’”

1. 1 Tien Le
    June 18, 2011 at 2:42 pm

Bo likes tomatoes! How cute is that?

2. June 18, 2011 at 2:48 pm

Well, well, well John stewart is on Chris Wallace show Sunday, to bash the president. Isn’t that nice, John Stewart has made it to the big time! Meh!

• 3 Anonymous
      June 18, 2011 at 3:04 pm

Growing up in the south, there was an old saying which would describe John Stewart , as “to big for his britches” at this point. It is funny how Stewart is atune to everything happening daily, except PBO’s accomplishments. I use to watch his show daily but I took it off my dvr and only watch occasionally. When I see him bashing the President, I immediatly stop watching.

• June 18, 2011 at 3:12 pm

Lovely picture of our President, First Lady and Bo. He’s sitting there listening as she reads to him. Bo I mean. I decided not to even say anything about Stewart, other than I can not stand him.

June 18, 2011 at 2:58 pm

You can tell who Bo is most attached to! It’s mom of course.

4. June 18, 2011 at 3:27 pm

You know what they are doing don’t you? They are going after the presidents base! The nutroots blamed the president for no dream act(Hispanics), west and smiley try to divide the African American base, Chris Matthews finished his show yesterday by saying the president has done nothing for women in politics, and John Stewart tries to dissuade the young voters!

Swift boat, swift boat, and swift boat!

BEWARE!

• 8 DTTM
      June 18, 2011 at 4:26 pm

PLEASE, J. Relax!

This is my bummer-free zone. Do you know how few people in this country watch cable crap? Very very very few. Jon (not John) Stewart is not an opinion shaper on a scale even a thousandth of Limbaugh. I must say that your breathless reporting of what a tiny fraction of people opining about to a tiny cable audience is distracting and sometimes demoralizing.

PBO would look at you sternly and say, “Turn off the crap.”

• 9 sjterrid
      June 18, 2011 at 8:04 pm

Jovie, please don’t worry. This may be what their trying to do, but it isn’t going to work not this time. Jon Stewart’s base is mostly white college students, and in all polls they fully support him. Look how many people come to see him when he speaks at colleges all across the country.

I also want to thank you for all the news and links you bring us here at TOD and other sites.

5. 11 Puddin
    June 18, 2011 at 7:46 pm

First Lady Obama is one of the hardest working First Ladies we have ever has (well a least to my knowledge). I am so proud of her and the work she is doing…I am so very proud (and excited) that she is representin’ the USofA…she is all that and a bag of chips:)

6. 13 AnitaW
    June 19, 2011 at 7:18 pm

Love the stories about Mrs. Obama’s mail bag both touching and sad. Interesting that it is volunteers who read all her mail.