Jun

‘digital pamphleteer’

I posted this video a few months back, so in case any of you who missed it would like to see it … here it is again.

As you might possibly have guessed (!) from the number of times I post his stuff here, there are few political writers I admire more than Steve Benen (Washington Monthly). What I love most about him is that, unlike most self-described ‘progressives’, when he disagrees with President Obama on an issue there’s no hysteria or personal abuse, he just calmly, rationally and factually argues his point – and there are few people more persuasive than him.

This is a short film from 2008 about his work as a blogger, entitled ‘Digital Pamphleteer’. It includes footage of Mario Cuomo’s wonderful ‘A Tale of Two Cities’ speech.

Read Steve Benen here every day

20 Responses to “‘digital pamphleteer’”

1. 1 wwjjd
    March 31, 2011 at 10:49 pm

Wow! Great find, thanks for the video! I love Steve too. I believe he’s one of the best bloggers out there, always bringing great insight and thought to everything he writes. He manages to express exactly why I’m feeling/thinking about any political issue in a much more coherent way.

2. 2 majii
    March 31, 2011 at 10:51 pm

I love Steve Benen, too! I find him to be a very astute and insightful political observer and blogger. The Washington Monthly is a daily must read for me!

3. 3 Theo67
    March 31, 2011 at 10:56 pm

He really is a treasure of a find. I’ve read every one of his posts that you’ve put up in the last few weeks, and I’ve not held my breath at all, dreading that there’s going to be some Obama bashing at some point. Thanks for introducing us to him, Chipsticks. A rare find indeed – and he’s also fair and respectful in his criticism. Makes me think.

4. 5 meta
    March 31, 2011 at 10:57 pm

Chips, thanks so much for this. I’ve been reading Benen for a long, long time and I wholeheartedly agree that he is a very fair and grounded thinker and writer. His pieces are always thoughtful, well argued and the issues are thoroughly explained and contextualized. I think he’s the best political analyst in the blogosphere right now. I have to confess that I’m really surprised that he’s so young. I guess I thought that his mature writing style was a function of age!!

• 6 Eleroy
      March 31, 2011 at 11:06 pm

LOL!!! I don’t blame you, it’s hard to imagine that some of the old buffoons we are observing in today’s political arena have lived through life without actually learning anything!!! It is diappointing to realize that contrary to what we were all raised to believe, that wisdom does not necessarily come with age!!!

5. 8 Temp
    March 31, 2011 at 11:25 pm

oh my he’s very young. I thought he was much older too. Always weird to see the actual person because I already made up my mind about what they look like.

6. 9 Sue in Minnesota
    March 31, 2011 at 11:47 pm

I have only a handful, well 2, of journalists whose work I respect. Steve Benen is high on that list. I think it’s important that we be able to consider different viewpoints, so when a writer can make a case reasonably and respectfully, I am happy to consider their perspective.

7. April 1, 2011 at 2:50 am

One of the things I really love about Steve is that he know who the enemy is. Most of his energy is directed towards the lunatics from the other side.

8. 11 Ladyhawke
    April 1, 2011 at 7:49 am

Chipsticks, thanks so much for this wonderful little film about Steve Benen. I absolutely love him. He is a treasure. His diaries reel you in with the titles, gives you a concise and informative analysis of the subject using the facts and his sly wit. He always wraps up each post with a cleaver ending that focuses on the point he was trying to make. He is brilliant and you always learn something from his analysis of the news.

I have to thank Rachel Maddow for introducing me to Steve Benen. I was listening to her old radio show and I remember her saying she checked this blog called the Carpetbagger Report run by Steve Benen everyday and she recommended that her listeners do the same. I have been a fan of Steve and his writing ever since then. I anxiously await his first post in the morning and I check his blog frequently for new posts during the day.

It is clear that Steve admires President Obama and agrees with many of his policies. But as you point out, when he disagrees he does it in a calm and reasoned manner.

• April 1, 2011 at 9:08 am

Absolutely agree with you Ladyhawke, I have so much respect for Steve Benen. I just trust him completely to be fair about the President, even when he disagrees with him. He’s a very rare breath of fresh air these days.

• 13 UT Austin Liberal
        April 1, 2011 at 9:41 am

Hey Chipsticks you should totally put a link to his blog (if you already haven’t) so more people who visit the site will know just how fantastic he is :)

9. 16 Doris
    June 20, 2011 at 7:08 pm

Thanks Chips. I wasn’t here then. Thanks for this!

10. June 20, 2011 at 7:19 pm

I missed this video and didn’t see Cuomo’s powerful speech. Loved it! I trust Steve Benen for his balance, knowledge and insight. Thank you!

11. 19 Betsey
    June 20, 2011 at 7:40 pm

Love Steve Benen!

12. 20 StR
    June 20, 2011 at 7:45 pm

WHen was Benen at TPM? Before Sargent I would guess?

Also in that pic of the Bloggers meeting with Clinton – Hamsher and Aravosis are two that I could readily identify. Who are some of the others?Joan McCarter from Daily Kos was there, Atrios, Chris Bowers who is also back at Kos was there, Joe Sudbay also of Americablog.

Huh.