Jun

rino?

Steve Benen: ….I can appreciate all of the reasons to take Jon Huntsman seriously as a candidate ….. but Huntsman is a moderate in an era when Republicans don’t like moderates.

Huntsman believes “health care is a right” …. He believes climate change is real and endorsed a cap-and-trade plan to address is …. He supported an individual mandate as part of health care reform … Republicans are on the opposite side of all of these issues. .. Oh, and he’s also a former member of the Obama administration who called President Obama a “remarkable leader.”

The Republican base has gone to great lengths to target so-called RINOs (Republicans in Name Only) … We’re to believe this same base will tolerate a moderate as their presidential nominee? Sure, Huntsman will start engaging in Romney-like flip-flops and try to reinvent himself. And sure, the media’s sycophantic adulation will give the guy a boost his rivals probably won’t enjoy.

But when push comes to shove, what are the chances Republican voters will nominate a former member of Obama’s team who doesn’t even want to describe himself as conservative? Strange things happen, but I’m hard pressed to imagine how anything this strange happens.

More here

According to GOPolitico, Fox News was the first to cut away from Huntsman’s ‘big’ announcement today – half way through his speech. So, they’ll treat him with as much as respect during his campaign as they do the President.

Thanks Ladyhawke

More on Huntsman at The Reid Report

Loriah just alerted me to Huntsman’s Google (Images) problem:

:lol:

47 Responses to “rino?”

1. 1 Ladyhawke
    June 21, 2011 at 12:10 pm

JON HUNTSMAN: THE FIVE POTENTIAL ROADBLOCKS TO THE GOP NOMINATION (Updated):

(Includes Democrats attack ad right out of the chute)

2. 6 isonprize
    June 21, 2011 at 12:10 pm

And it looks like he already violated the Hatch rule – campaigning while on the post as Pres. Obama’s ambassador to China…

• 7 Chi
      June 21, 2011 at 3:20 pm

I bet in his position as ambassador he withheld information from the President and might even have undermined and sabotaged the President and the United States where he should have offered full and uncompromised service and representation…

It is interesting that his family business which had been struggling in the Chinese market, flourished in the time he was ambassador to China…

He ought to be investigated and fully too…

The man is a weasel and a dishonest, weak , fraudulent, greedy, sub-standard, spineless asshole who has unfortunately, bought into his own fake hype…

3. June 21, 2011 at 12:11 pm

The more you find out about this fake, the more you dislike him. He’s a high school drop out who was granted admission to the Univ of Utah without a high school diploma. Why? Probably because of his daddy’s money. This guy has the nerve to think he should be president? He quit high, school, quit as gov, quit as ambassador. He’s worse than that quitter from Alaska!

“While he’s the namesake of a billionaire businessman and a member of one of the most prominent families within The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, he’s also a high school dropout who spent the latter part of his teen years playing with local jazz and rock bands.

Those years ended when he briefly enrolled at the University of Utah through a program that granted him admission without a high school diploma. He then went on a Mormon mission to Taiwan, where he learned to speak Mandarin.

He later attended the University of Pennsylvania and graduated with a degree in political science, then entered public service and eventually worked for Presidents Ronald Reagan and George H.W. Bush.

In 1993, after leaving his post as ambassador to Singapore, Huntsman became president of the Huntsman Cancer Foundation and eventually CEO of Huntsman Family Holdings, the umbrella company for the multibillion-dollar corporation founded by his father.

Huntsman first ran for Utah governor in 2004, winning with 57 percent of the vote. .

As governor, proposals to significantly boost education spending and a repeal of the tax on food garnered him support from moderate members of both parties. In the 2008 campaign, the most effective argument that Democrats could muster was that Huntsman was unlikely to serve his full second term, and they were right.”

4. 9 Ladyhawke
    June 21, 2011 at 12:16 pm

Interesting….

HUNTSMAN CAMPAIGN FUNDRAISING OFF OF CIVIL UNIONS LEGISLATION HE NEVER SIGNED:

5. June 21, 2011 at 12:26 pm

Carney’s Tweet: “The President will speak to the nation from the White House, 8 pm tomorrow, re his plan for drawing down US forces from Afghanistan”

• June 21, 2011 at 12:27 pm

I find it interesting so many msm chose to go with the 10K figure. Idiots.

• 12 lisalovesobama
        June 21, 2011 at 12:53 pm

It’s always fun to see them make up a number then when they find out it’s not accurate they find a way to blame the president. I love how that tool John King made up the $1 Billion number because Axe said that PBO was going to raise more than the $750 Million from last time. As soon as that Ass, King said it, the msm took it and ran with it. Idiots. I wish we could just have a nationwide boycott of the media for just ONE day, just one day to see the effects. If we could all just stand up and say we are sick and tired of their BS, and we’re not gonna take it anymore! Yes, I’ve stopped watching any day time news and only now watch Tweety or Lawry if they aren’t bashing PBO, and that’s great, but I wish we could all make a greater impact by having an organized strike against the MSM, where we could choose a day and time to start not watching them tell lies and blame the president. Where we could not watch ANY news program be it cable news or local news, where we all just say: “today, enough is enough.” Obviously letters and telephone calls don’t work, so we’ve got to hit them where it hurts: the bottom line. Money makes the news world go round, they rely on us for their escargot and fancy wine (notice i didn’t use the terms bread and butter), we’ve got to find a ways to let them know we aren’t pleased. I wish we could organize and strike.

• 13 Sue in Minnesota
          June 21, 2011 at 1:53 pm

We think alot alike lisa….I have always entertained thoughts of a national boycott of our corporate media. I probably sound like a broken record to those around me, but stopping just short of telling others what they should watch and read, I certainly air my opinions about our MSM, and they are not favorable. s

The MSM upsets me more than some of our less than stellar politicians. They should be a window to truth, but they have put a sheet up and are playing their own crazy reality show.

• 14 Chi
          June 21, 2011 at 4:50 pm

I started my own boycott a while back and I’ve taken my friends and family with me…

If Chip doesn’t post about it, I remain blissfully ignorant then…

By now I pretty much know all the players really well and there’s very little they can do to change my mind about much…

• June 21, 2011 at 12:30 pm

Thanks BWD, talk to you soon ;-)

6. 16 Ladyhawke
    June 21, 2011 at 12:26 pm

This video of then Governor Jon Huntsman introducing VP nominee Sarah Palin at the Republican convention in 2008 is just painful to watch. I can imagine we will be seeing more of this video as the campaign progresses.

GOVERNOR JON HUNTSMAN SPEAKS ABOUT SARAH PALIN:

7. 17 isonprize
    June 21, 2011 at 12:27 pm

Gotta love this one!! Plus, I had no idea there were Democrats in Utah!!! 8)

8. June 21, 2011 at 12:31 pm

Listening to Ed Schultz on radio as I work (yeah, I don’t know why either) and he is pumping up Michelle Bachmann. Why? Saying a woman running for president could trump PBO. Really? How quickly they forget how that worked so well for McCain’s campaign. These fake progressives are a trip.

• June 21, 2011 at 1:03 pm

Does anyone NOT remember Hillary Clinton? 1000 times smarter and tougher than Michelle b? Hillary Clinton, the one who was the inevitable candidate? the one that Obama beat for the Democratic nomination?

• 24 utaustinliberal
        June 21, 2011 at 1:24 pm

They seem to think that all women voters are a monolithic block. Just b/c a woman is running, doesn’t mean women will automatically vote for said candidate. Ask Hillary, she got that memo loud and clear.

• 25 Sue in Minnesota
      June 21, 2011 at 2:17 pm

Comments like that, insult the intelligence of women, and demean and diminish their capacity for free and critical thinking. Dude is a schmuck…..what nonesense will they entertain next? (Wow, I’ve got my “Bossy Britches” on today…..I’m in no mood for these assclowns we call MSM..

Matthews suggested that Democrats have a female problem…..I have to say pull your head out Chris….Clinton, Sebelius, Solis, Sotomayor, Kagan, Rice, Pelosi, Boxer, Wasserman-Schulz, Murray, Gillibrand, Klobuchar., and on and on. Seriously, what’s he smoking?

Our MSM is so transparent and IMO, uncreative in their attempts to manufacture hype.

• June 21, 2011 at 4:52 pm

It surprises me that Ed Schultz would say that. What is wrong with these people. They know Michelle Bachmann ain’t nothing but a smarter version of Sarah Palin. Not that much smarter though. She is a lying spaced out tea bagger.

• 27 theo67
      June 21, 2011 at 5:49 pm

Ed Schultz is disgusting. While he and Tweety pump up Bachmann, do they ever give a second’s thought to the consequences of that woman winning an election? She’s far more dangerous than palin, because Bachmann is not a quitter, and she won’t stop until she completely destroys the country. I can’t tolerate Ed.

9. 28 Cindy Sweatt
    June 21, 2011 at 12:38 pm

Boy, I hope he isn’t the nominee. I hope, I hope, I hope.

• June 21, 2011 at 1:06 pm

In order for him to win the nomination, he would out crazy the crazy or come very close. He can’t run away from what he did or said in the primaries. The MSM might not go after him for it, but the Obama Team will sure as hell bring it up.

• 30 Bill
      June 21, 2011 at 1:14 pm

I was concerned until I heard his announcement. Someone else said their dog feel asleep watching it. Remember the excitment and electricity when BO announced? No comparison.

10. 31 Tally
    June 21, 2011 at 12:38 pm

I have to be honest. I am scared of Huntsman. He might bring out the sane Republicans….. if there are any left.

• 32 Jessica
      June 21, 2011 at 12:47 pm

If he wins the nomination I would consider a serious threat. But that’s IF he wins. I don’t know if he will.

• June 21, 2011 at 6:09 pm

Huntsman doesn’t scare me at all, he bores me, but scares me, no he doesn’t. If anything Huntsman will end up moving toward the crazy right wingers, tea baggers. And there is no sane Republicans. If there were they wouldn’t have let their party be taken over by such racists, nasty folks. Even Ronald Reagen would be ashame of this Republican Party.

• June 21, 2011 at 1:07 pm

Huntsman backs the Ryan Plan. The Ryan Plan is insanity.

• 35 Sue in Minnesota
      June 21, 2011 at 2:41 pm

I can’t dismiss as coincidence his parallels to the Koch Brothers, and that’s an evil thing. Multi billion dollar petro chemical corporations, Huntsman’s Dad was schooled at MIT as were the Koch’s, USU Hunstman School of Business with it’s Koch Fellowship program, both families with philanthropic investment in Cancer research….it’s all too coincidental IMO. Now the possibile violation of the Hatch act, of course IOKIYAR…..the flip-flopping, and as someone here pointed out he has a record of quitting. Scratch Huntsman.

Yes.We.Can.

• 36 Chi
        June 21, 2011 at 3:37 pm

Spot on Sue…

This manufactured and trumped up revamped fake image of this fraud who really has never done anything but ridden on his family’s dubious ill-gotten wealth, has only those who are easily duped ‘worried’…

The mediaa is desperate to give President Obama a challenge and rake in tons of cash in a ‘competitive’ election cycle…

And goddamnit, if they have to create and build this challenger, they will…

Even if it means that they have to brazenly spoon feed and re-write the guys entire life to make him palatable all the while completely blacking out President Obama in the process…

But it won’t work…

Karma is a bitch and has already begun to trip them all up…

• 37 theo67
        June 21, 2011 at 5:52 pm

Someone else mentioned that either he violated the Hatch Act, or he’s a puppet for a campaign that was already set up with someone else pulling the strings. He needs to tell us which one he is – a criminal or a puppet.

11. June 21, 2011 at 12:44 pm

OMG: Schultz reporting that AP reports Newt’s fundraisers have quit! LOL!

12. 39 Fred
    June 21, 2011 at 12:51 pm

they should also put up a picture of Judas THE traitor next to Hunstman’s face

• 40 lisalovesobama
      June 21, 2011 at 12:59 pm

Lady Gaga’s Judas song should be his theme music. You’re right Fred, it would suit him perfectly.

13. 41 desraye
    June 21, 2011 at 12:52 pm

Huntsman have endorse the Ryan plan and the balance budget amendment. He is not moderate, he is a flipflopper.

• June 21, 2011 at 1:08 pm

exactly. looks like he’ll do or say anything to get the nomination and it will hurt him in the general.

• 43 theo67
      June 21, 2011 at 5:54 pm

I hope this doesn’t offend anyone, but both Mormon candidates who might have been able to run as moderates are turning out to be major flip-floppers. Is it because they can’t be true to themselves and the thirst for power is just too great?

• 44 utaustinliberal
        June 21, 2011 at 6:22 pm

They really are turning out to be major flip floppers Theo. Case in point Jon Huntsman and Mitt Romney. These past few months they’ve been backtracking about whether they’re Mormons or practicing Mormons. It’s pathetic. Even more pathetic in Huntsman case. A few months ago he said he was a Mormon and wasn’t ashamed of being one, but when a poll came out saying that 62% of repubs wouldn’t vote for a Mormon he flip flopped faster than a burger on a grill; saying that he wasn’t exactly a practicing Mormon, but a christian who loves everyone and blah blah blah. In my opinion if he’s a practicing Mormon then why not own up to it and if his party can’t handle it, that should tell him the caliber of people he’s dealing with.

14. 45 Betty's Girl
    June 21, 2011 at 7:03 pm

The President and his team so this one coming miles away. I can’t see how many people especially supporters think the President can’t play tough politics. If nothing else they have put a tremendous hurdle for this guy the overcome.

• 46 Sue in Minnesota
      June 21, 2011 at 9:03 pm

It is amazing how so many, so often, and so grossly underestimate our President. I like the poster that says, ” Chill the F–K out, I got this!” It’s as if he is the only sharp knife in the drawer. Every new issue, inflamed to controversial levels by the politcos and media…… he’s never distracted or undeterred, never blows his cool, leaving the circus act to the clowns he just goes about the business of getting the work done. I am grateful every single day that he is who he is and he is willing to do what he does. He is awesome.

15. 47 Betty's Girl
    June 21, 2011 at 7:04 pm

sorry…saw this one coming!