Jun

pete souza, genius

President Obama greets people across the street from Fred’s Pro Hardware store in Toledo, Ohio, June 3. (Pete Souza)

President Obama greets children at a day care facility adjacent to daughter Sasha’s school in Bethesda following her 4th grade closing ceremony, June 9 (Pete Souza)

President Obama bids farewell to Personal Secretary Katie Johnson on her last day at the White House, June 10 (Pete Souza)

President Obama and Vice President Joe Biden head toward the Oval Office Private Dining Room for lunch, June 8 (Pete Souza)

Restaurant staff react as President Obama stops for lunch at Rudy’s Hot Dog in Toledo, Ohio, June 3 (Pete Souza)

And Samantha Appleton:

First Lady Michelle Obama talks with children as they have lunch at CentroNía Childcare Center in Washington, D.C., June 8 (Samantha Appleton)

More new photos here

21 Responses to “pete souza, genius”

1. 1 Fred
    June 27, 2011 at 12:42 pm

lovely pictures :)

2. 2 Ladyhawke
    June 27, 2011 at 12:59 pm

PROGRESSIVES AND CONSERVATIVES AGREE – OBAMA IS NOT A LEADER:

Of course, to conservatives Obama is worse than liberal – he is so far past liberal that he is a socialist or even a communist, the most “polarizing president” in our nation’s history. In April 2009, Michael Gerson wrote in an op-ed published in the Washington Post,

According to the Pew Research Center, the gap between Republican and Democratic approval ratings for Bush a few months into his first term was about 51 percentage points. For Obama, this partisan gap stands at 61 points. Obama has been a unifier, of sorts. He has united Democrats and united Republicans — against each other.

Because of course it’s Obama’s fault that he is president at the height of the Republican version of the Vulcan pon farr. Is it our president’s fault the Republicans went collectively insane when he was elected? Apparently so. Gerson blames Obama, not the Republicans. Maybe Gerson missed all those calls for ideological purity coming from the Republican ranks, the cries of “no compromise!” the demands that Obama do what the Republicans wanted him to do. Of course, if you look at the record, you’ll find that Obama did compromise – far too often according to his progressive critics. Maher, for example, accuses him of “sucking up to the people he should be fighting.”

Isn’t that what compromise is? Maybe Obama stands apart because he’s the only one trying to actually do it?

Of course, Obama happens to be president but he is not the cause of polarization. The polarization is due in large part to the extreme positions adopted by the Republican Party. The election of President Obama, a centrist president – a black man – seems to have sent Republicans over the edge due to irreconcilable differences between belief and reality. And why not? God promised them a sitcom couple and they got a sensible black man? Who wouldn’t go insane?

• 3 africa
      June 27, 2011 at 4:50 pm

“The election of President Obama, a centrist president – a black man – seems to have sent Republicans over the edge…..” I dare say it’s done the same to a lot of the folks who insist that they are his BASE.

I swear this president just seem to bring out the crazy out of lot of people, including some of those in the media. They still don’t know how to take him, even almost fours years in.

3. 4 collegekay
    June 27, 2011 at 12:59 pm

Aw Katie Johnson left. I wonder who’s his new secretary.

• 5 Me4obama
      June 27, 2011 at 1:09 pm

That picture of Katie Johnson made me sad. Does anyone know who the knew PS for PBO is?

• 6 utaustinliberal
        June 27, 2011 at 2:43 pm

I don’t know who replaced her, but she left to attend Harvard Law School I believe. I read a story from POLITICO about a week or so ago that said many of the young people in the Obama White House are leaving to go back to work on the 2012 campaign and others are going to further their education in places like Harvard, Yale, Princeton, London School of Economics and I believe one of the young staff is going to Oxford to become a Rhodes Scholar. I am amazed and thankful at the brilliant minds that the President has around him. To think that many of these people paused the educational button because they so believed that President Obama was exactly the phenomenal leader that America needed takes my breath away and I am forever grateful.

I’m glad that their resumes got boosted by the fact that they interned and worked for candidate Obama and President Obama. I wish all of them the best of luck in their future endeavors.

• 7 Sue in Minnesota
          June 27, 2011 at 2:54 pm

Beautifully stated. I also want to express gratitude for their service and dedication. President Obama recognizes talent and character and surrounds himself with the best. To have served this President is a very bright reflection on their abilities and their promise.

I hope they dream big, and do everything within their power to realize their dreams. In all likelihood these are our leaders of tomorrow.

• 8 HZ
            June 27, 2011 at 3:26 pm

I totally concur with both of you. When I saw that photo of President Obama and Katie, my heart fell. I loved the fact that Katie was his personal secretary, and that she gave up a time in her life to serve the President of the United States of America. She to my knowledge has been the youngest personal secretary for a President. Now I feel that all of those young people who came with the President from the campaign and into the Whitehouse have given us so much. Now we give them wings of beautiful blessings to spread them across the halls of knowledge to be used to continue to make them great future leaders for the world. I love the way this President embrace them with thanksgiving, respect, dedication, and words of wisdom to keep the lamp of hope burning for their generation and generations to come. Now we pray that the blessed angels of wisdom will send another wonderful and beautiful group of young people to carry on in this next term of his Presidency. This is why I give my time, my prayers, whatever I can to this wonderful group of all of you young, smart, dedicated young people who want to move with this President to make your nation a better place to live together in love and harmony. Thank you all for your service and those who will come out for more service. I thank you all so very much from the depths of my heart. Thank you Katie and all who leave with you. Now let us send them off with our loving blessings and prayers of success.

4. 9 carolyn
    June 27, 2011 at 1:13 pm

Far left and far right think bullying is leadership. That’s all we had for eight years and it’s hard to recover from that addiction.

• 10 Sue in Minnesota
      June 27, 2011 at 1:30 pm

I do think the psychological and emotional damage from the Bush years is definitely fueling some of the current insanity. And who is fanning the flames…….inciting the schziophrenia….MSM.

Unless they fix the catalyst, I see no reason not to pull the plug.

5. 11 lisalovesobama
    June 27, 2011 at 1:13 pm

Awww. I loved her. I wonder why she left?

• 12 utaustinliberal
      June 27, 2011 at 2:45 pm

Hey Lisa. She left to attend Harvard Law School I believe. I bet she got a phenomenal recommendation letter from President Obama. Imagine the Law School Admissions office reading that letter. :)

6. 13 GGail
    June 27, 2011 at 1:34 pm

CHIPSTICKS – why didn’t you give ME a heads-up that Katie was leaving????? I could have APPLIED for that Personal Secretary position!!!!!!!! Ahhhhhh, a missed opportunity :-(

7. 17 Sue in Minnesota
    June 27, 2011 at 1:40 pm

Concur, Pete Souza is genuis.

President “Mr. Freeze” sure has a way of melting peoples hearts. Such a cold, cold man ;)

8. June 27, 2011 at 1:49 pm

Katie Johnson is leaving to to to Harvard (Law).

9. June 27, 2011 at 4:46 pm

Why do I feel a tinge of jealous when I look at that picture of President Obama and Katie Johnson. Well, it’s NOT that it is an “intimate” embrace—on the contrary. I believe I feel this way because the photo comes across as so sincere, so heartfelt, so caring. Wouldn’t it be nice if we could all get a hug like that from our President? ;)

10. 21 CEB
    June 27, 2011 at 5:54 pm

My heart dropped when I saw that Katie was leaving until I read the comments. Good Luck to Katie. Will miss seeing her at the prsident’s side. What a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity this exceptional young lady has had.

RSS OFA