Jun

“hey baby, are you excited about huntsman?” (updated & video added)

President Obama holds a sleeping baby boy as he visits Ross’ restaurant in Bettendorf, Iowa, June 28

:lol:

Des Moines Register: ….. The president then made good on a 2008 campaign promise today, making a quick stop at Ross’ Restaurant in Bettendorf. The diner is off Interstate-74 on the way to Alcoa, which is in nearby Riverdale.
Three years ago, Obama talked with an owner, Cynthia Freidhof, at a town hall meeting, in August, 2008, and pledged to come here.

The president greeted Cynthia with a hug, as she walked through the door. She later said she didn’t know he was coming to the restaurant until he arrived. She had stepped to the street to watch his motorcade pass and then was told he was inside.

“You are so awesome,” Cynthia told the president as they hugged.

….“I think he’s a man of his word, always, and he’s doing the very best job that he can and I just can’t believe he’s here, but it’s real,” Freidhof said….

President Obama tours Alcoa Davenport Works Factory prior to speaking on the economy in Bettendorf, Iowa

See this thread for more

122 Responses to ““hey baby, are you excited about huntsman?” (updated & video added)”

1. 2 StR
    June 28, 2011 at 2:00 pm

I think somebody in the Obama messaging inner-circle is on to the fact that Obama + Babies = winning.

This pic, the crying baby vid, the Irish youngster, and the President looking inthe window at the 4 babies pics are all brilliant.

• June 28, 2011 at 4:50 pm

Yes StR, if you go down the list on Google every article says “Obama holds a sleeping baby” :0 :0
      It took Chipsticks to wake them up. :0 :0

2. 5 carolyn
    June 28, 2011 at 2:05 pm

Everybody looks happy to have him there!!!

3. 6 SUE DUVALL SMITH
    June 28, 2011 at 2:05 pm

I LOVE THE TITLE….LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL….DARNED LUCKY BABY IF YOU ASK ME….THE ENERGIZER BUNNY PREZ. WORKING PART-TIME AS ‘BABY WHISPERER!’…:)

4. 7 SUE DUVALL SMITH
    June 28, 2011 at 2:07 pm

HE NEEDS TO TALK TO MICHELLE SO HE CAN PRACTICE THIS AROUND THE HOUSE!…HINT…HINT…HINT!

• 8 HZ
      June 28, 2011 at 2:33 pm

Now, Now Sue. We wish soooooo much. Would be lovely to have a little boy’s feet entering the Oval Office and bringing BO along to say, Hi.

• June 28, 2011 at 5:11 pm

Michelle is 47 years old, either she can’t have anymore, or she doesn’t want anymore, As good as Barack and Michelle are with children if they could have had anymore I believe they would have. Now it’s nothing I heard or know, just what I think. Plus it would not be fair to bring a baby in the mix of a Presidental campaign.

• 10 collegekay
      June 28, 2011 at 2:41 pm

I hear ya Sue.

• 11 isonprize
      June 28, 2011 at 3:06 pm

Oh Sue, a little boy would be nice, but you KNOW Michelle put the kabosh on that!! And if Michelle says she’s done, then I’m thinkin’ SHE’S DONE! I mean, she is 47 years old. And, I think I remember reading that, according to her, she didn’t have the most pleasant pregnancies with the weeMichelles.

After we get him elected, we’ll have plenty of time to wait on Malia and Sasha to provide the pitter-patter of little feet. Can you just imagine Barack and Michelle as Pop-pop and Bubby? They will be the coolest grandparents on the planet!!

• 12 lisalovesobama
        June 28, 2011 at 3:52 pm

“plenty of time to wait on Malia and Sasha to provide the pitter-patter of little feet.’
        ——– Not if PBO and SS can help it ;) :lol:

• 13 SUE DUVALL SMITH
          June 28, 2011 at 5:00 pm

LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL LISA… THOSE SS GUYS WILL KEEP THE ADMIRERS AT BAY….YIKES…PITY THE ONE WHO SHOWS UP FOR THE FIRST DATE!

• 14 SUE DUVALL SMITH
        June 28, 2011 at 4:58 pm

I WAS GOING TO SAY….DON’T LET THE PREZ. HEAR THIS…HE’LL HAVE A FATHERLY STROKE!….WELL…THEY COULD ADOPT A LITTLE PUMPKIN….I WOULD BE SO HAPPY! A MINI-OBAMA RUNNIN AROUND IN THOSE NEW DENIM PAMPERS! HEY DUDE!

5. June 28, 2011 at 2:07 pm

I think I can spot my favorite secret service member in the background right of the pic where President Obama is shaking the hand of the youngster in the green shirt. I wondered where he was lately.

6. June 28, 2011 at 2:10 pm

Prez is looking rested and really good. Happy to have Michelle and the girls home.

7. 19 PoliticalJunkessa
    June 28, 2011 at 2:11 pm

Yay! More Youtube material :mrgreen: ! Yep, as much as we admire his brilliance and governing ability — it will be the personal appeal, including his baby-whispering abilities that may carry him over the finishing line.

I see “Shadow” (my fave SS Agent) is back. Musta been on vacation.

I love how PBO is stumping in Iowa a day after the Wahoo from Waterloo’s pitiful opening act — and while Mitt is still in hiding. He’s so BOSS!

• 20 HZ
      June 28, 2011 at 2:32 pm

PoliticalJunkessa, that SS Agent is mine. I love the way he takes care of our President. Pray for their wisdom, physical strength, and keen alertness in doing their jobs. We thank their families for their sacrifices also. My fave also PoliticalJunkessa, for sure.

• 23 Dorothy Rissman
      June 28, 2011 at 5:35 pm

He is almost constantly with the president. He always stands out and he always stands close. I bet he was on vacation. I am sure it is very tiring be traveling and worried about any situation PBO enters.

8. June 28, 2011 at 2:18 pm

But you know, Looney Tunes Bachmann says he fears her.

9. 25 lisalovesobama
    June 28, 2011 at 2:23 pm

seriously too cute :)

10. 26 PoliticalJunkessa
    June 28, 2011 at 2:23 pm

What pretty curls that little boy has …….. awwww….. :-)

11. 27 HZ
    June 28, 2011 at 2:29 pm

Sweetness that you just can’t make this stuff up. Now how do you like that one Ms. Bachmann? You need to speak with cute one and ask him what gives him that confidence to rest his cares on this President’s shoulders. Life is beautiful for a beautiful President. What a beautiful gift in this one. Thanks for sharing.

12. 30 Doris
    June 28, 2011 at 2:30 pm

Boy, the President’s energy level goes through the roof when he’s outside the bubble. Love it. :D

13. 31 LOL
    June 28, 2011 at 2:33 pm

Awww. here is another nice one of the prez giving a lady a hug http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/117583736/AFP
    Ugh..can you imagine Tea-Paw,Paylin, Mittens or Bachrazy or Huntslame having this much of an effect on people?

14. 36 HZ
    June 28, 2011 at 2:36 pm

I need help please, pretty please. How do I link an article to our blog. I am still learning? Any help. Thank you so much. I would really appreciate it. They are good, trust me.

• 37 Doris
      June 28, 2011 at 2:39 pm

Here goes. Go to the url or http bar and right click and a drop down will come up. Scroll down to copy and left click. Come back to where you want to post here I suppose and right click and you will get the drop down and scroll down to past and left click and you will see the the url address.

15. 38 GGail
    June 28, 2011 at 2:36 pm

I love seeing the reaction of the average American when they are in the presence of President Obama. Smiles are gigantic and people lean over others just to shake his hand! Once lady at Alcoa began hopping up and down like a rabbit right in front of a camera after shaking his hand. I bet she hopped and screamed all the way back to her office!!!!

• 39 theo67
      June 28, 2011 at 4:34 pm

I saw that lady on the WH live stream and burst out laughing in a good way! She was so excited, and yet a minute before, she had seemed so calm and professional. I would be just like that if I was there.

16. June 28, 2011 at 2:37 pm

Huntsman has that kind of affect on grown ups. He puts all of us to sleep.

• 41 LOL
      June 28, 2011 at 2:43 pm

LOL- You are right. Looks like Mark Halperin has jumped ship. From Politico:

HALPERIN GETS OFF THE HUNTSMAN BANDWAGON – On “Charlie Rose” last night: “He still does not project well. He still does not have the kind of high energy, rhetorical presentation that voters really want. And there’s no doubt that the animating spirit within the Republican Party right now is, get Barack Obama out of office. And he is running not just a campaign based on civility, but he often doesn’t mention or barely mentions Barack Obama in his stump speech. That is a real weakness for a party who, from the far right of the party to the center right of the party has … as their animating unifying force, ‘Get rid of Barack Obama.’”

Now he is left to just the Morning Joke crew..lol

• 42 PoliticalJunkessa
        June 28, 2011 at 2:52 pm

LOL. Halperin is such a HACK — one of the most overpaid hacks in the whole field of hackers committing hackery on a daily basis.

• 44 PoliticalJunkessa
            June 28, 2011 at 3:16 pm

Poor Jon — we haven’t seen him since. Probably still recuperating. He’s quite delicate, you know.

• 45 lisalovesobama
              June 28, 2011 at 3:59 pm

He’s probably recovering from his surgery. Heard he went to have a personality implant. Good for him.

• 47 Anonymous
              June 28, 2011 at 7:26 pm

That was funny…

The delicate bit…

Huntsman is delicate and much too fragile for most jobs especially the very important one of President of the United States and leader of the free world…

No ‘ready made’ anything in the Presidency, you’ve got to work for and at it buddy…

And it is hardwork…

Even if President Obama makes it look effortless and stays so calm, unruffled and maintains great dignity and composure in the face of much hostility and unwarranted and vicious attacks, sabotage and obstruction from false friends and foe alike…

• 48 Chi
              June 28, 2011 at 7:39 pm

That was funny, the delicate bit…

Huntsman is delicate and much too fragile for anything especially the very tough job of President of the United States and leader of the free world…

No ‘ready made’ set-up waiting for you to get off the plane here…

Hard work and no time to recuperate from common colds or air conditioner induced ‘bronchitis’…

The man is not only a snooze, but a wimp…

The presidency of the United States is not for the weak or faint of heart and is hard work…

Even if President Obama makes it look so effortless and maintains such high energy, grace, steely focus, calm, great dignity, compassion and all around magnificence in the face of much obstruction, hostilty, unwarranted and vicious attacks in the course of cleaning up the huge mess he inherited…

They will all find out and for most the hard way, that President Obama cannot be touched…

• 49 lisalovesobama
                June 28, 2011 at 8:25 pm

I love his way of thinking: just show up and you can be president. No ground work, no hard work, just show up looking like what you think a president should look like, and talking how you think a president talk and you will be president. Asshat :roll: If it were really that easy Jon without an h, everybody would be president :roll:

• June 28, 2011 at 3:25 pm

People actually got a look at him. I was the same way in that I read about him a bit, looked at his bio and accomplishments in Utah and was worried a bit, until I hit up youtube for vids.

(honestly I feel the same way about Rubio as well – he looks good in a still pic, but actually listening to him/watching him give a speech – he loses that reported charisma)

• 51 africa
        June 28, 2011 at 2:57 pm

Wow, this guy carries the GOP water. Even via this piece, I can hear his disappointment, how he wished Huntsman would be more than he is, especially when he talks about Huntsman’s promised civility campaign and the fact that he never mentions PBO’s name. He wants so badly for him to take on the president.

Some people in his party love bullies or pretend tough talking guys. I guess Huntsman doesn’t cut the mustard.

• 52 LOL
          June 28, 2011 at 3:02 pm

I know…he’s like a disappointed father. HAHAHAHA

• 53 PoliticalJunkessa
          June 28, 2011 at 3:17 pm

Well, Halperin became a joke on leftie blogs in ’08 for his constant and consistent “This is good news for John McCain” refrain. Everything that happened during the campaign was good for the Maverick — all the way up to his loss. LOL!

• 54 theo67
        June 28, 2011 at 4:39 pm

These people on the right are so stupid and hateful. The country (and the world) is facing such serious problems, but their UNIFYING FORCE is based on hatred and wanting to get the black man out of the White House! Really!!??

17. 58 LOL
    June 28, 2011 at 2:52 pm

here is a touching story about something that recently happened. The prez mistakenly misspoke about two Medal of Honor Recipients. As you know the right wingers reacted like the children they are- but the family of the soldier had some really nice things to say about the Prez. Hell even superman has a day off:) http://www.wickedlocal.com/raynham/features/x438676193/Obama-apologizes-for-gaffe-on-Raynham-Medal-of-Honor-recipient-Jared-Monti#axzz1QauRwxd2

18. 64 lisalovesobama
    June 28, 2011 at 3:07 pm

This is part of Beyonce’s interview with Piers, she talks about PBO and Michelle (you can tell she loves them from the way she talks about PBO and Miche.) She says she’ll campaign for him again ;) :

Beyonce singing At Last with PBO’s picture on screen in the background at Glastonbury: a music festival. According to Piers, she’s the first woman to headline Glastonbury. I love the crowd of 175,000′s reaction when they see our gorgeous first couple on the screen. There’s also a guy in the crowd with a PBO mask. You’ll also see Gwenyth Paltrow and Jay- Z in the crowd:

I threw this one in because it’s my favorite clip. 2 covers from Prince “The Beautiful Ones” and Kings of Leon “Sex on Fire”:

• 65 PoliticalJunkessa
      June 28, 2011 at 3:19 pm

I’m a huge Beyonce fan! Love her and I loved her performance after the Inauguration. Can’t wait to watch the vids later.

• 66 Fred
      June 28, 2011 at 3:23 pm

that At Last by Beyonce can be called the President’s song with all due respect to E.James

• 67 Fred
        June 28, 2011 at 3:26 pm

I read an interview Jay did with Gwyn and was surprised to read how huge of a rap fan she is.She knew all of the old school rappers and the songs and lyrics :shock: :D
        they sure act like brothers and sisters she and Jay :lol:

• June 28, 2011 at 4:33 pm

President and Michelle’s song. I’m going to have to think of a song for them in January 2013.

• 71 Walking on Sunshine
      June 28, 2011 at 9:54 pm

Thanks for posting the Glastonbury video – At Last.

I tried to watch another video of this but it was BBC and wouldn’t let me watch outside the UK so I appreciate you finding a different one.

I’m playing it over and over. Love when the picture of the President comes up and the crowd’s reaction. This song gives me a lump in my throat because I love to watch the video of the President and Michelle on inauguration night.

I’m loving Beyonce for what she is doing.

• 72 lisalovesobama
        June 28, 2011 at 10:17 pm

the third video is also from Glastonbury.

• 73 lisalovesobama
        June 28, 2011 at 10:39 pm

also when you look up ‘beyonce at glastonbury 2011′, try to find the ones by BeyonceHDplayer1. This gives you most of the clips of the concert or look up ‘Beyonce- 1+1 at glastonbury 2011 HD’. Then find the one with BeyonceHDplayer1, click on this and it will give you a list of clips from glastonbury that you can watch right there.

• 76 Titti
      June 29, 2011 at 6:14 am

Yeah we love us some PBO. Most people in the UK know a good man when they see one. Not to say that we don’t have our own share of DM-reading crazies but luckily they’re in the minority.

Thanks for the vids Lisa.

19. June 28, 2011 at 3:07 pm

Mitt Romney says Obama will cost jobs at the Alcoa plant he visited today. Alcoa says no he won’t.

20. 83 Anonymous
    June 28, 2011 at 3:19 pm

VIDEOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Since I am avoiding doing my grad school stuff today- I”m surfing the interwebs. On the bottom right corner of this site http://www.wqad.com/ is a video of him at the restaurant and also arrival.

21. 85 LOL
    June 28, 2011 at 3:25 pm

Here is a video http://www.wqad.com/-( bottom right of the page) of him in the restaurant.

22. June 28, 2011 at 3:38 pm

Tell Bachmann that only fear President Obama has of her is to be in the room with a crackpot and no door open to get out.

23. 91 Me4obama
    June 28, 2011 at 3:56 pm

Now that woman needs to choose either hugging my President OR snapping her hug to the President. Me I would definitely do BOTH :lol:

24. 93 Me4obama
    June 28, 2011 at 4:03 pm

Too much eye candy in these photos but for the sake of children being involved I will behave for now.

25. June 28, 2011 at 4:17 pm

Libyan rebels just captured a weapons depot jackpot:

26. 102 ber6964
    June 28, 2011 at 4:32 pm

Did you see Colbert compare Scott and his double “the One who must not be Named” from the Harry Potter series. The resemblance was amazing. LOL

27. 103 dotster
    June 28, 2011 at 4:38 pm

Just read the twitter feed from the Quad City Times with all the reporters and others. All were so excited about the visit, hardly a snarky comment in sight. All loved Obama saying, ‘I know you have been seeing a lot of politicians in your state lately, but, Iowa, you and I go way back.” Laughed at kids waiting for motorcade to pass by asked if Obama would be throwing out candy for them. Ross’ restaurant—-there’s a history there. When Obama did an event in Bettendorf in 08, the mom owner of Ross’ spoke and said she was a supporter but her husband was “on the fence”, wanted to know what he planned to do about sm. biz. Obama called him on her cell phone, and promised both he would return one day and come to their restaurant. The owner was thrilled that he kept his promise today. He ordered 4 magic mountains and 2 tornadoes—-mtns are texas toast topped with ground beef, fries and cheese sauce and volcanoes are the same but topped with chili. Yikes. He took them to go. Reporters said people were in their lawn chairs lining the streets waiting for the Pres to go by.

• 104 lisalovesobama
      June 28, 2011 at 4:46 pm

Awwwwwww :) Take that Batshit Bachman and Mittens :x This is what a real president is like, take your fake behinds and get gone :?

• 105 dotster
        June 28, 2011 at 4:56 pm

I was so liking the nice people in Iowa but then CNN just put a damper on it. Interviewed some Palin supporters at her revisionist history docu—fake–mentary in Pella, Iowa. One woman said she would vote for Palin because “she has her head on straight” and another said she was for Palin for President because she just wrote a book about America and she knows America. Oy.

• 106 theo67
          June 28, 2011 at 4:58 pm

Those people are living in their own reality. I just count them out from any serious consideration or discussion – they’re clearly crazy.

• 108 Fred
          June 28, 2011 at 5:11 pm

damn it CNN! why didn’t the reporter (I know that will never happen or that reporter will go Chris Wallace and apologize :roll:) ask that suppporter about Paul Revere and the fact that supporters were editing Wikipedia to cover for The Qutter? :roll:

check this out ya’ll ;)

GOP presidential candidate Rep. Michele Bachmann is now getting the Sarah Palin treatment on Wikipedia. In light of Bachmann’s latest historical hiccup, people are trying to edit John Quincy Adam’s Wikipedia page to reflect her recent gaffe.

• June 28, 2011 at 6:53 pm

dotster, that made me laugh. Palin has her had on straight, Palin wrote a book about America and she knows America. Let me finish laughing before I write anything else.

• 110 isonprize
          June 28, 2011 at 7:31 pm

That just makes me go help to register 20 more new voters!!!

• 111 Sue in Minnesota
          June 29, 2011 at 1:18 am

The whole affair is contrived and as phony as a 3 dollar bill. Her supporters need to be checked for brain matter….I suspect it is missing.

• 112 Keith in C-bus, Ohio
          June 29, 2011 at 2:38 am

ummm……………….delusional is not even a word that can describe those two CNN enterviews. Palin has her head on straight? Are you kiddin me? Has she even formally announced? Talk about the uneducated.

• 113 theo67
      June 28, 2011 at 4:49 pm

I love this post! The President had more people lining the streets and sitting in their lawn chairs (and even in that restaurant) than most of these so-called challengers have managed to gather together for their candidacy announcements.

28. 114 Doris
    June 28, 2011 at 4:59 pm

Thanks Chips for the new up-close pics of the President. What a beautiful smile. Keep’em coming. You’re doing a banner job today!

29. 115 Ann_T
    June 28, 2011 at 5:32 pm

PBO has just the right touch with the little ones. :)

30. 116 Ann_T
    June 28, 2011 at 5:39 pm

I just noticed the woman taking a picture of herself hugging PBO. That’s as bad as someone taking a picture of themselves in a mirror. Poor lady, should have had someone else take the picture and enjoyed the hug!!!

June 28, 2011 at 6:46 pm

She simply can’t help herself…People do “silly” things when they are around our President, apparently.

31. 118 cat48
    June 28, 2011 at 8:42 pm

Chip, Thanks for this. I read the article at WashPo & they made it sound like Iowa was SO OVER O & would not be voting for him again. I’m glad he was treated well today.

• 119 Keith in C-bus, Ohio
      June 29, 2011 at 2:42 am

Why do you listen to anything negative the media has to say. The MSM will have the same meme about every state practically that Obama is done and it will be a horserace to the finish. WHATEVER………………..

32. 120 Walking on Sunshine
    June 28, 2011 at 9:02 pm

People love my President! Look at these happy faces. He is so cute!!

I know he’s super intelligent an effective an all. But he’s also so darn sweet!!

Alloys and sheet metal and market share have never been this fascinating before ;

33. 121 Titti
    June 29, 2011 at 6:27 am

He looks refreshed. Can’t believe that baby didn’t wake up! That woman taking the pic n hugging takes the biscuit and LOL funny. I know she needed proof but this is the Prez she is hugging and there will be tons of pics as proof so come on now.

34. June 29, 2011 at 2:24 pm

I love me some Obama!!!!!!!