Jun

oh mitt (part 9,372) ….

President Obama arrives to speak to workers at the Alcoa Davenport Works Factory in Bettendorf, Iowa

Des Moines Register: Alcoa officials and business leaders dismissed an assertion from … Mitt Romney that a federal labor board’s actions could threaten jobs at the Alcoa plant in Iowa. “No, we don’t see that happening,” said Alcoa spokesman Michael Belwood…

Romney said Monday that National Labor Relations Board’s actions against aircraft manufacturer Boeing Co. could result in job losses nationally and in Iowa. Boeing is accused of trying to move its Washington-based assembly line for its 787 airliner to a new nonunion factory in South Carolina as retaliation for past strikes in Washington.

Romney has complained about the federal board before, and on Monday said its decision to file a complaint against Boeing for unfair labor practices “slanted the field toward labor bosses.”

….. but the outcome of the NLRB hearing – whether it’s in favor of Boeing or against – will have no impact on this plant, the Alcoa spokesman said. Alcoa is growing, Belwood said. It has added 240 jobs since Dec. 1 and it has 60 more to fill in July and August. “The outlook is very good for the industry and for this plant.”

…. the National Labor Relations Board is an independent board and the president doesn’t control its decisions other than to appoint new members as terms expire.

….U.S. Rep. Bruce Braley, a Democrat, said Romney made it sound like a final decision has been made to block Boeing from opening its South Carolina plant. The reality is, the hearing process is at its beginning stages, Braley said. “(Romney) obviously doesn’t understand how the National Labor Relations Board works.”

More here

Thanks Suzanne

10 Responses to “oh mitt (part 9,372) ….”

1. 1 SUE DUVALL SMITH
    June 28, 2011 at 4:54 pm

THE PRESIDENT WAS FIRED UP AND READY TO GO TODAY. I DIDN’T GET TO HEAR IT ALL BECAUSE CABLE PLAYED JUST A PORTION AND THE SOUND ON MY WHITE HOUSE.GOV DOES NOT WORK. ANY HINTS ON HOW I CAN FIX THAT?

2. June 28, 2011 at 5:16 pm

These ill informed Repugs are talking themselves out of the race even before it picks up. If anyone knows what is going on it is Obama. I hope the media gets scared and starts telling the truth.

3. 4 Ann_T
    June 28, 2011 at 5:20 pm

Are you using an iPad or computer (laptop or desktop)? If you are using an iPad, I find that you have to view in full screen or at least view where you cannot see the whitehouse.gov header info before I have the option to change the volume.

4. 5 GGail
    June 28, 2011 at 5:22 pm

What’s the definition of insanity…they keep singing the same sorry song over and over and the result is still the same “Hello, my name is STUPID and I want to be your President”.

5. 8 PoliticalJunkessa
    June 28, 2011 at 5:56 pm

He can’t help himself. I would so love to see a debate between Willard and PBO. The thought is delicious.

6. June 28, 2011 at 6:43 pm

Mmmm. My President looks really happy in these photos. And the people of Iowa love him. I’m so glad Michelle and the girls are back home. Since they’ve been back, he seems to have really perked up. In photos taken last week, he did not appear to be his usual vibrant self. I think I read somewhere today that the President said he was so lonely in that big house when “my girls were gone to Africa for a week, I had to talk to Lincoln’s ghost.” Or something to that effect. ;) Anyways, my man looks good, as usual . . . :) :) :)