Jul

night everyone

Peace and love!

**** Thank you for the photo hhannahh ****

The photographer: I attended the final Colorado campaign stop that Barack Obama made on 01 Nov 2008, a few days prior to the election …. I actually cried taking this photograph.

I’ve been to thousands of political rallies. I’ve been a delegate, a campaign worker, a political activist. I’ve shaken hands with lots of players in this game. Politics doesn’t usually get to me anymore. I have laughed, screamed, spoken out, marched, or swore… but never cried until that day in Pueblo. When Michelle Obama finished her pep talk and introduced her husband, I looked through my camera’s viewfinder and cried.

This photograph is special because it captures a personal moment between husband and wife, in front of a great public, and conveys an emotion we don’t normally see.

I cried over the personal sacrifice of this couple in making this run for the highest office of our nation. But I also cried because their hope and courage revived in me what led me into politics all those years, rallies, and campaigns ago: belief in the audacity of hope to change our circumstances. I actually believe in this man and in his campaign, in his drive to bring a populist movement to life.

….I do believe this photo has historical merit because it shows a personal yet public moment from the last days of a long and arduous campaign. It exhibits love, which may seem an odd thing to convey in a political campaign, but actually may be the driving force behind why any politician, activist, or photographer does what they do.

More here

Thanks JER

43 Responses to “night everyone”

1. 2 gc
    July 1, 2011 at 11:04 pm

That one is almost too personal, too intimate. OMG.

July 1, 2011 at 11:05 pm

CHIPS you are the BEST!!! You read my mind because I was going to ask you to post this pic… THANKS!!!! Have a wonderful night’s rest and an enjoyable holiday weekend :)

3. 6 Walking on Sunshine
    July 1, 2011 at 11:08 pm

That’s just beautiful.

4. July 1, 2011 at 11:08 pm

Oh wow. What a picture. Such love and devotion to each other. Thanks Chipsticks. That image is what I will think of when I go to sleep tonight.

• 8 Puddin
      July 2, 2011 at 1:28 am

The President’s grandmother had just passed away…those last days were very emotional….so full of love, hope, sadness, joy, excitement, exhaustion, energized, pride…

AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. July 1, 2011 at 11:09 pm

I love that picture. Look like he is saying boy do I need this hug. Just keep holding me, don’t let go Michelle. God Bless those two, their family.

• July 1, 2011 at 11:14 pm

With all he has to deal with, let us continue to pray for him, Michelle, Malia, Sasha, all his family, VP Biden and his family, and pray for this country who the Republicans are trying to destroy.

6. 14 TrumpDog
    July 1, 2011 at 11:09 pm

FL Michelle is sooo lucky.

7. 17 collegekay
    July 1, 2011 at 11:13 pm

I’ve never seen this picture and I’ve A LOT of photos of these two. This is my favorite. Beautiful. <333

8. 18 NewCenturyWoman
    July 1, 2011 at 11:18 pm

When was this photo taken? It’s beautiful . . .

July 1, 2011 at 11:19 pm

In 2008 (See the photographer’s words underneath pic).

• 20 NewCenturyWoman
        July 1, 2011 at 11:26 pm

Thanks. I don’t think the words were there when I first saw the photo (or maybe my computer was just acting up). At any rate, the words from the photographer are equally as beautiful as the photo. This just makes me want to cry and smile at the same time.

July 1, 2011 at 11:31 pm

• July 1, 2011 at 11:33 pm

Hiya NCW, your computer wasn’t acting up! I only spotted the photographer’s beautiful comments after I posted the photo, so I updated the post with them – thank you again to hhannahh for sharing this gorgeous photo with us.

9. July 1, 2011 at 11:21 pm

Aaaw! Safe haven! For both of them. : )

May God CONTINUE to bless and strengthen this union, and may POTUS and FLOTUS continue to be a model and a light for relationships for years to come. {I confess I’m envious, but not in a mean way.}

10. July 1, 2011 at 11:35 pm

The Essence of their Love is heartfelt……….It is the Rock that keeps them sane.

~Sweet Dreams

July 1, 2011 at 11:37 pm

Thank you Chips for posting this picture and the story that goes with it. @hhannahh, once again, thank you for providing the link to this simple yet emotionally powerful picture and story. This is why I fight for this man. This is why I wade into right wing and PL cesspools. This is why I will and do verbally destroy ANYONE who tries to take this President down. Why? You ask? Because not only is he a magnificent leader, he is a GIANT amongst men. He is head over heels in love with his wife, he shows a deep abiding love for his children and he respects one and all even when he doesn’t agree with you – no scratch that – especially when he doesn’t agree with you.

12. 27 kasia
    July 1, 2011 at 11:42 pm

Amen…Amen

13. 29 Me4obama
    July 2, 2011 at 12:00 am

Best medicine is a good laugh. Rita Wlison’s story about meeting the Queen left me ROFLMAO. Good night family.

14. 31 Karen Sr.
    July 2, 2011 at 1:09 am

It’s all there. It’s as plain as the look on his face. This picture captures all the emotions of two long years of a grueling campaign.. constant travel, separation, loneliness, the loss of a loved one, an exhausting schedule, and the resolve to make one last, big push before election day. And, I see the comfort and safety he feels in the arms of his capable and dedicated wife who’s also his best friend, and the favorable poll numbers he’s determined not to take for granted. I don’t think another picture could have captured what I see in this beautiful man’s face.

I know some men are born with an ambition to be great by doing great things, but few are willing to be great in times of extreme peril. I will be forever indebted to this man and his family for dedicating these years of their lives to making ours better.

• 32 chiara
      July 2, 2011 at 1:24 am

I’m not religious….but amen!!

When I see that picture and watch those videos I am reminded once again of what I felt during the campaign and why I have defended this man for the last 2.5 yrs. against attacks from not only the right but unfortunately the left as well.

I believe in who he is as a human being, even when I don’t agree with how he does it or some of his decisions. I know without any doubt that he is trying to do what is best given the situation he is in and who he has to deal with and I am so thankful that he has such an amazing family to give him the foundation that he needs to face everything he has to do.

15. 33 Bobfr
    July 2, 2011 at 1:20 am

That photo informs in so many dimensions the beauty, the empathy, the total commitment that these two individuals have shared with not just all Americans but every person on this planet.

Thank you for sharing it.

Yes.We.Can. … DO.More.Together! —- that is the message of that photo; that is the message of how The President of the United States and the First Lady of the United States have lived and continue to live every moment of their lives.

16. 34 Debz
    July 2, 2011 at 1:58 am

So beautifully said, Karen. Thanks Chips for this photo it really does say so much about this couple.

17. 35 mtmarilyn
    July 2, 2011 at 2:22 am

There is so much emotion in hat picture, my heart aches with the love. Who can doubt the love and sincerity there. Good night everyone.

18. 36 Jennifer
    July 2, 2011 at 3:27 am

We are so lucky that this man is our president and this woman is our first lady. I just want to say thank you, Chipsticks, for everything you do for us with this site. I know it’s a lot of work and I’m just deeply appreciative. I’ve been too busy at work to pop in very often lately, so sometimes I have days of great posts to try to get through so I don’t miss anything. It is so heartening and heart-warming. It’s going to be a hard road ahead until the election. This site helps so much. Picks me up when I’m down; Reminds me that there is truth and clarity and plain-speaking in the nasty fog of obfuscation. Love you; love the TOD family.

19. July 2, 2011 at 6:19 am

When we look at President Obama’s life if we are honest, we see an abandon child. A father he met once and a mother who was on the other side of the world most of the time. Toots and Pops were his nearest family.To loose Toots and not be able to grieve because of the coming election had to be heartbracking The primary was a war and it got tougher when .certain people realized that he realliy had a chance to win. Looking at that picture tells it all. Michelle is his rock and he will never let go of her nor she him. God bless them both and their children.

20. 39 NewCenturyWoman
    July 2, 2011 at 9:03 am

To echo what many others have said about the Obamas, I just love way they “love” each other in public—the way the two of them are able to seize the moment and in a split second share a very intimate, passionate, and sometimes even sensual moment, seemingly oblivious to the viewing audience.

21. July 2, 2011 at 12:05 pm

Goosebumps. The love and respect among TOD family has a foundation in moments like the one captured here. I appreciate you guys. Let’s go change the world… Chipsticks, Blackwaterdog and others keep us Fired Up and Ready to go !

22. 41 m
    July 2, 2011 at 2:16 pm

beautiful. especially loved reading the photographers words.

23. 42 carol
    July 2, 2011 at 3:53 pm

Oh my goodness! I hadn’t seen this picture before and viewing it now gave me goose bumps,
    and brought tears to my eyes. That, my friends, is LOVE. What a wonderful couple they are,
    and how truly blessed we are to have them in our lives. God bless them both.

24. 43 GGail
    July 2, 2011 at 3:58 pm

When you witness pure love…it has a tendency to do that to you…make you well up with tears of emotion. This photo does that and I understand why the photographer cried – she saw pure love. Thank you Chipsticks for posting this. I was unable to comment last night, but had to come back to this and comment today. I just HAD to.