Jul

ooops

Salt Lake Tribune: …..Will Huntsman created a small headache for the presidential campaign of his dad – Jon Huntsman – when he flashed a “hang loose” sign and asked a buddy to snap a photo of him mugging with rival White House hopeful Mitt Romney.

Can you say father-son chat?

….the youngest son of the former Utah governor …. showed up last Friday at Hires Big H, an iconic Salt Lake City burger joint where Romney spoke to an estimated 250 supporters. As Romney worked the rope line, Will Huntsman found his way to the front and was photographed posing – with pinky and thumb extended – with the former Massachusetts governor…

….Will Huntsman, who will soon enter the U.S. Naval Academy, sported a new buzz haircut and a white polo shirt featuring a crest of the U.S. Embassy of Singapore, where his father previously served as ambassador….

….Huntsman’s campaign cautioned people should not read anything into the appearance. It pointed out that Will Huntsman backs his dad’s presidential bid and was not offering anything near an endorsement of Romney, a distant relative of the Huntsmans.

“Will wanted to see another campaign event,” Huntsman spokesman Tim Miller said when shown the photo. “He was having fun and it was not his intention to be disrespectful in any way.”

More here

92 Responses to “ooops”

1. 1 MrsJVD
    July 1, 2011 at 3:50 pm

LOL!!!! :-)

• July 1, 2011 at 3:58 pm

Seems like a little dysfunction in that Huntsman family. And Cain is such a buffoon.

Someone tweeted this: “I bet Herman Cain’s great-grandfather was a rat, & informed the slave owners when a slave was about to flee the plantation.”

• 7 meta
      July 1, 2011 at 4:00 pm

Did he also say Romney is a weak white man? Man, this guy is full of hot air.

• July 1, 2011 at 4:02 pm

ML – Cain is not able to get out of the gate. He has no support by minority groups that are not directly related to him and that is why he is spouting that BS. He needs the attention because he absolutely knows that AAs will not vote for him.

• July 1, 2011 at 4:09 pm

Ha! All his black supporters are his in-laws, cousins, brothers, sisters. LOL!!!

• July 1, 2011 at 5:33 pm

he absolutely knows that AAs will not vote for him.

Then why run for Prez?? Does he think he has a good shot at this???? do you think????

• 12 nospin
          July 1, 2011 at 8:24 pm

“Does he think he has a good shot at this????”

No. Cain knows there is no way in hell he will get anywhere near the Presidency and he knows black folks will not vote for him unless they are directly related to him. I would venture to bet even the majority of his family members will vote for PO in 2012. Cain winning the Presidential election will never happen. Especially now given the uptick in vitriol being swung against PO from all sides. The worse it gets in terms of disrespect being thrown at PBO in a way that has nothing to do with policy, the tighter AAs will close ranks around the President and get out to vote for him.

Why would Cain run? Because someone from the GOP probably prodded him into the race to see if he could peel off some AA votes.

• 13 zizi
        July 1, 2011 at 5:46 pm

I have two words for Cain: “Alan Keyes”. Senate candidate Obama crushed Keyes like a bug in the 2004 Illinois senate race, such that Keyes has never been able to regain his strewn entrails since then. And Keyes said worse about his opponent and cruised to a 27%-70% defeat.

This is what keyes said about candidate Obama in 2004:

I would still be picking cotton if the country’s moral principles had not been shaped by the Declaration of Independence, [Obama] has broken and rejected those principles — he has taken the slaveholder’s position.

Cain should learn a summary lesson from keyes. As Pres. Obama said in a New Hampshire media interview, when he sense someone trying to take advantage of him, he will CRUSH ‘EM. Well, considering the abundant evidence of what happens to PBO/s adversaries and opponents, I wouldn’t want to become his roadkill, if I were Cain. But that’s just me… :roll:

• 14 NewCenturyWoman
          July 1, 2011 at 7:37 pm

zizi, for weeks, I have been looking all over for the “I will crush you” video, but I haven’t been able to find it on youtube. I’m assuming you’re talking about the interview where then Sen. Obama talks about how he would respond to people who try to take advantage of his goodness . . . First, he says he would give his adversaries the benefit of the doubt, but if they do try to take advantage, he vows that he would crush them. Then he follows his own vow with the most beautiful million dollar smile you’ll ever see . :) :) :). If that is the video you’re talking about, could you or Chipsticks post it here, or at least post the link for it?

• 15 dotster
      July 1, 2011 at 4:21 pm

“Not black enough” Part 2. Didn’t we already do this? Borrrr—-ing. Cain’s late to the racial divide party. And what is in his head? What is his motivation? I don’t get people like Mr. Cain. Pitiful.

• 16 theo67
        July 1, 2011 at 5:21 pm

No different than Michael Steele or the pundit one with the lazy eye – and sometimes even Eugene Robinson or that other Jonathan one that appears on Dylan Radigan. They forget what they’re saying in the excitement of trying to be accepted.

• 17 Sue in Minnesota
          July 1, 2011 at 6:00 pm

Oh theo67, the lazy eye guy drives me nuts…..trying to think of his name ….he served Dick Cheney is some capacity, enough said.

• 18 zizi
            July 1, 2011 at 6:16 pm

His name is Ron Christie

• 19 Sue in Minnesota
              July 1, 2011 at 6:39 pm

Thanks zizi, all I could come up with was “Chris” something…..I’ve had a lot of dead brain space in the last couple days, I hope it will pass.
              Mr. bowtie Christy….he has the venom of a true Republican..someday I’ll get over being surprised by their inherent nastiness, by for now it never ceases to amaze me.

• 20 zizi
                July 1, 2011 at 6:47 pm

Actually preserving your brains from holding onto anything about these batshit crazy wingnuts is the sanest thing you could do. :D

• July 1, 2011 at 5:34 pm

Kind of embarrassing :-(

2. 22 meta
    July 1, 2011 at 3:59 pm

I was trying to dig around for info on the Huntsman fortune and it appears they brought the world styrofoam? UGH.

3. 25 lisalovesobama
    July 1, 2011 at 4:00 pm

Some comedian on the comments section of this article wrote:
    “The Sons also Rise…or set.” hahahahahhahahhahahhahahha! I don’t know why I think that’s so hilarious, but I’m still chuckling :lol:

4. 26 Fred
    July 1, 2011 at 4:05 pm

just another arrogant privileged punk who is used to doing what he wants and get away with things :roll:

5. 27 SUE DUVALL SMITH
    July 1, 2011 at 4:05 pm

THAT’S A DITTO LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL FROM ME! MAYBE THAT’LL HIT THE FRONT PAGES OF HUNTSMAN’S HOMETOWN NEWSPAPER!

6. 28 Tulips
    July 1, 2011 at 4:07 pm

If there are some who do not use tweeter leave the name of the gop representative for your state and i will tweet # Gopkillingeconomy along with their name

7. 40 MTmarilyn
    July 1, 2011 at 4:12 pm

Happy Friday everyone. I am just now getting on my computer and this is the first story. These guys are all jokes. They want to run a country. They don’t know how to run their own lives.

I can tell you all it is great to go away for awhile but there is nothing like coming home. I had a great time in LA, I did contribute to the economy by going to alot of restaurants. Love the seafood there. But there is nothing like getting home. We are finally getting great weather here in Montana. Sure hope everyone has a great weekend.

Do we have a number yet of the full amount the Campaign took in?

Thanks to Chips and everyone for keeping the information flowing. I really am going to learn twitter. Just have had too much work to catch up on yet. I love this twitter force.

8. July 1, 2011 at 4:12 pm

I don’t think Will is worrying about holding down a job with that haircut.

• July 1, 2011 at 4:19 pm

:lol:

Just added in the bit that says he’s entering the Naval Academy soon …. unless they say ‘no thanks’ upon realizing he’s a twat.

• 44 utaustinliberal
        July 1, 2011 at 5:04 pm

Hahaha Chips. I think someone is going to receive a strong lashing or a scolding when he gets home. That is, if Huntsman isn’t too tuckered out after walking and talking for 5 minutes or if the air conditioner at home doesn’t wipe him out.

Oh crikey Chuck Todd is hosting Hardball tonight. Crossing my fingers that I don’t blow my lid off. He’s also covering Will Huntsman’s appearance at the Romney event in the sideshow.

• 45 Chi
        July 1, 2011 at 7:50 pm

Entering the Naval Academy at his father’s bidding only to get the much contrived ‘military bona fides’ like McCain et al…

We keep getting these sub-standard trust fund baby enrollments in our elite military institutions only to further daddy’s political ambitions …

Shame…

9. July 1, 2011 at 4:20 pm

Curious- anybody else find it intriguing that strays Kahn was released the same after the Greece crisis was settled and the new IMF chief was sworn in???

10. 50 Bill
    July 1, 2011 at 4:24 pm

This may not be fair, but the son looks like a rude brat.

11. 51 dotster
    July 1, 2011 at 4:28 pm

Will looks like he might be a bit of a rebel. Or he was just seeking a campaign that was more exciting than his boring dad’s boring campaign. But he made a big mistake thinking Romney might be a bunch more fun, poor kid.

July 1, 2011 at 10:26 pm

I believe the whole thing with Huntsman’s son at Romney’s event is a GOP stunt to get Huntsman more attention from the public. And the “attractive young son” is being exploited to attract the youth from PBO’s base. Right now I put NOTHING past the GOP to try to get their candidates to one-up this President. The more bizzarre the stunt, the more suspicious I am.

12. July 1, 2011 at 4:43 pm

Another twerp, but at least — unlike Romney’s sons — he’s going into the service. I remember when Mittens said his sons were serving their country by helping run his campaign — therefore it wasn’t a problem that he supported the Iraq War while all of his owns sons loafed.

Oh the privilege!

13. 58 Tulips
    July 1, 2011 at 5:14 pm

makesense4tulips

chipstick a must read courtesy of WSY blogger. Tavis and West, have just crushed their faith. Tom Joyner went there this is a must read. Tom Joyner has the biggest AA audience and especiall those who are not into politics. WoW

• July 1, 2011 at 5:38 pm

Thanks Makesense4Tulips…..and thank you Mr. Joyner…..a voice of reason……
      I like this part of his letter……..

While I am appalled at Halperin’s statement, I have no expectations of him as a man and know nothing about his character. I am appalled, however, that as editor-at-large of Time magazine, he is responsible for among other things, deciding what stories will be covered in that publication. As the person in charge of political content, it is upsetting to know that he probably has not been objective in his dealings with material I and so many people look forward to (until now) reading each week. Needless to say, I’ve cancelled my subscription to Time magazine and hope you will too.

But I’m even more disgusted with Smiley and West, two brothers who I did have expectations of – and thought I knew. These two have done much worse than what Halperin has done because they set the tone for it, opened the door to it, and must take much of the blame for creating a climate that would make a white, professional journalist feel comfortable verbally and vulgarly attacking the first black president of the United States.

14. 60 Tulips
    July 1, 2011 at 5:21 pm

link to Tom Joyner telling it like it is to Tavis Smiley and Cornell West.http://www.blackamericaweb.com/?q=blog_inner/29954/1573138/The%20Fly%20Jock

• July 1, 2011 at 5:41 pm

Wow! Go Tom, Go Tom, Go Tom! I caught a few minutes of his broadcast this morning for the first time in a long time and I heard when he said he was canceling his Time subscription and encouraged others to do the same. Thank goodness for a strong brother in the media who has some spine.

Thanks Tulips!

• July 1, 2011 at 6:34 pm

Yes Indeed. There comes a time In life sometimes, that we must do what we really don’t want to do. As PBO would say, there comes a time, when we must do the hard things. I commend you Mr. Joyner, and I take a bow :-)

• 63 Sue in Minnesota
      July 1, 2011 at 5:42 pm

Tell it Tom. Well said, and IMO true.

15. 65 lisalovesobama
    July 1, 2011 at 5:23 pm

hey guys. What is Ms. Chips’ e-mail address? There used to be a link to it but I don’t see it anymore :( :?:

16. 68 theo67
    July 1, 2011 at 5:24 pm

Romney and Huntsman – Distant relatives?

• 69 Sue in Minnesota
      July 1, 2011 at 5:30 pm

Mormonism…polygamy probably increases the chances, or maybe something about those “magic underwear”.

• July 1, 2011 at 5:33 pm

President Obama and Dick Cheney are related as well.

• 71 Sue in Minnesota
        July 1, 2011 at 5:43 pm

I guess in the end we are all related, it would do us well to remember that.

• 72 Chi
        July 1, 2011 at 7:56 pm

Not in the way Romney and Huntsman are…

They are really cousins and not some 50th cousin removed genealogy crap like the rumored relationship betwee President Obama and Dick Cheney you reference…

• 73 Tulips
      July 1, 2011 at 5:37 pm

theo go to the second black america web link and read that article by tom Joyner.

17. July 1, 2011 at 5:45 pm

Howard fineman said he went to Minnesota last week, where no democrats had anything nice to say about the president, nor anything bad!
    Then, I heard morning ‘Dick’ say, I keep having democrats on but they don’t say anything nice about the president!

Sounds like GOP talking points!!!

• July 1, 2011 at 5:54 pm

Don’t bring GOP talking points here Jovie! People here want a break from that crap!

• 76 utaustinliberal
        July 1, 2011 at 7:08 pm

Hahaha Chips. But to Jovie’s credit I did hear him say something close to that. He said that dems in Minnesota had nothing nice to say about the President, but they also had nothing bad to say. I was like huh? You just refuted your own observations Fineman. He then concluded by saying that the dems in Minnesota said they would still vote for PBO. At the end of the day, their votes is what we need. This is not a beauty pageant. PBO is not in it telling everyone “like me! like me!” He’s in it to finish the job he was elected to by the American people.

• 77 lisalovesobama
          July 1, 2011 at 7:15 pm

Amen, UT! This sounds bad but sometimes when I hear people complain about PBO. All I want to say is “who the hell cares?!! Just shut your trap and vote. All we want is your stupid vote, after that you can go take a hike!” Ugh. Sorry. I just don’t care about their complaining and constant jabbering. All I want is for them to vote for him and disappear :roll:

• 78 Sue in Minnesota
      July 1, 2011 at 6:04 pm

Screw Howard Fineman….he didn’t talk to me. That guy is a snake, he delights in sticking it to Democrats, especially our fine President.

• 79 Sue in Minnesota
      July 1, 2011 at 6:12 pm

Just dawned on me…do these people ever talk to those of us that are part of the “unwashed masses.” They have such constraints on their perspectives, limiting it to their circles of exclusivity….political pontifications of the self proclaimed elite. We really don’t need their opinions, what we need are those knowledgable and willing to talk about the possibility and potential of policy positions.

• 80 Walking on Sunshine
      July 1, 2011 at 9:28 pm

He didn’t talk to me either! What a bunch of baloney!!

18. 81 Tally
    July 1, 2011 at 5:50 pm

“Romney, a distant relative of the Huntsmans.”

Inbreeding. It’s what’s for breakfast.

19. July 2, 2011 at 4:25 am

Hey NewCenturyWoman!

The good news is I found the exact quote. The bad news is the video seems to no longer exist. It was originally out of KosTV. So that million dollar smile isn’t available, but the power of his words still ring true, as we’ve seen time and time again.

Talking about his demeanor and his approach, Barack Obama says…

“I don’t like people trying to take advantage of that,
    so if I get any sense that people are….

this is why actually if you watch my political interactions,
    I’m always best as a counterpuncher.

You know, if someone comes at me, I will Knock them out,
    if not, then I will try to understand their point of view….
    and that actually serves me well…..I give people the benefit of the doubt, I try to understand their point of view….

but IF I perceive that they are trying to take advantage of that, I will crush them.” – Barack Obama, 2007

Video —-> http://www.dailykostv.com/v/000339.html

—Maybe this walk down memory lane will make up for that missing million dollar smile…

By Toby Harnden in Des Moines, Iowa
    6:45PM BST 21 May 2008

“I don’t think John McCain realises what he’s in for,” said one adviser. “We’ve created a juggernaut,” said another, “and it’s going to overwhelm him.”

—The man has SUCH class!

“We have had our disagreements during this campaign, but we all admire her courage, her commitment, and her perseverance,” he said. “No matter how this primary ends, Senator Clinton has shattered myths and broken barriers and changed the America in which my daughters and yours will come of age.”

—THIS was my first awareness of Barack Obama and I remember saying then, as I listened to him crescendo into that place he goes when he’s ‘singin’ it’, like a preacher of sorts, completely captivating his listener…me…that he could be president some day. I was on board from that moment on.

When he delivered the keynote address at the 2004 Democratic National Convention in Boston

• 86 NewCenturyWoman
      July 2, 2011 at 9:27 am

Thanks, Loriah. It was great going back down memory lane. But as great as his words were in that interview, nothing, I mean nothing compares to that moment when he flashed that smile. It was my first time noticing his wonderful smile and it just sent chills through my body. I’m going to continue to search for the video–maybe the tv station will still have it in the archives.

• July 2, 2011 at 11:49 am

>>I’m going to continue to search for the video–maybe the tv station will still have it in the archives.

Good morning NewCenturyWoman,

Here is where the video seems to have come from. It’s not a tv station, it’s the tv section of the Daily Kos website.

**Daily Kos TV is a political news video blog published by Kos Media and created and edited by Jed Lewison. Jed, who lives in Las Vegas, Nevada, also publishes Jed Report, a news and politics blog, and is a contributing editor and video producer for Daily Kos, the leading progressive political blog.**

Here are the archives, but from what I can see, they have purged anyone prior to 2008, with one exception during 2007. The quote was in 2007, according to the record I found, so I’m not sure if the video is still in existence, but I, like you, will continue to look. Here is the archives index,

which offers a wealth of memorable videos of Obama, but alas, I wasn’t able to locate the one with the million dollar smile. Perhaps you could email Jed Lewison and see if he can recover it. I searched out his information for you.

The best way to reach me is by e-mail at jed@jedreport.com.

He also tweets, so that might be a way to reach him also.

I truly hope you are able to recover it for us to enjoy. If I can help further, let me know?

Loriah

• July 2, 2011 at 1:42 pm

OH. MY. GOD.

I FOUND IT!!!

Whoo hoo! You are absolutely correct, he’s a keeper!

L.

• 89 NewCenturyWoman
          July 2, 2011 at 4:26 pm

Loriah, you’re a genius–a master researcher/investigator, for sure! Thank you, thank you, thank you. As I said earlier, I’ve been looking for that “I Will Crush Them” video for the longest. When I first saw it back in early 2009 just a little after the President was elected, I was just blown away by it. Although I had been an avid supporter and follower of then Sen. Obama during the arduous campaigns (both primary and presidential election), I had not paid too much attention to his smile. Then I watched the video and bam! He hit me with that devasting smile, and I was never the same again. :) :) :) I mean, President Obama’s smile is awesome–it’s both a gift and a weapon. When he flashes it, friends and foes alike can’t help but surrender to his momentary will. (I bet he was something else when he was a single man). ;)

• July 2, 2011 at 8:53 pm

The word DISARMING comes to mind as anyone witnesses that 10,000,000,000 watt smile of his. If you’re his enemy, be warned, if you are his supporter, your heart simply melts with the goodness and light that radiate from his being.

I’ll bet he’s been ‘something else’ his whole, entire life, but a *single* Barack Obama…the imagination soars! LOL! Still, I hold the private thought that he and Michelle were truly destined to find each other and we are ALL the better for their union.

Thank YOU for bringing this video to my attention, and sparking my curiosity enough to ferret it out. I hope it brought a megawatt smile to your face, too.

=0)

• 91 m
      July 4, 2011 at 12:24 pm

thanks for this loriah, what a great clip to watch on this july 4th!