Jul

“the poor need to share some of the responsibility”

The Hill: Democrats seized Thursday on remarks by Sen. Orrin Hatch (R-Utah) in which he appeared to suggest the poor should have a greater responsibility to contribute to government coffers.

Hatch, during a speech Wednesday on the Senate floor, seemed to say that the poor could do more to address the deficit.

….The Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee (DSCC) pounced on Hatch, who faces a potentially difficult reelection next fall, as well as a possibly difficult primary challenge.

“Republican priorities are completely out of whack, and Orrin Hatch’s comments prove that point,” DSCC spokesman Shripal Shah said. “It’s bad enough that Republicans are doing everything they can to protect tax breaks for millionaires and special interests, but the fact that the Republican idea of shared sacrifice means going after the those who are struggling the most is completely reprehensible.”

DSCC

27 Responses to ““the poor need to share some of the responsibility””

1. 1 SUE DUVALL SMITH
    July 7, 2011 at 4:28 pm

IT’S ALMOST FUNNY IF IT WEREN’T SO DISGUSTING. THESE GUYS LIVE IN CACOONS AND ONLY COME OUT TO MAKE A BANK DEPOSIT!

• 2 isonprize
      July 7, 2011 at 7:55 pm

Wow Sue. I SOOOO agree with you!!! Except I wouldn’t even say Cacoons because that really insults the pretty butterflies that result. I would say these guys they live under the drudge that is under wet rocks. And even that might be insulting the rocks…

2. 3 GGail
    July 7, 2011 at 4:32 pm

Keep talking Repugs – show the world your true colors

3. 4 Fred
    July 7, 2011 at 4:32 pm

such a smug fuck that Orrin.

This is the site http://www.dscc.org/

4. 5 ChristiMtl
    July 7, 2011 at 4:40 pm

I just sent him a tweet. What a sleazeball……

5. July 7, 2011 at 4:51 pm

good ole Orrin always looking out for those poor put upon millionaires and billionaires.. one can only wonder what he considers: “really poor”.. prolly depends upon who he’s referencing. Someone like me who pulls in a whopping $1100/mo Soc Sec for my son & I- prolly too rich… but if it was ole Orrin living on that amount- why then it would be considered ‘abject poverty’.

He’s always been a tool, always will be.

6. 7 lmrj
    July 7, 2011 at 4:52 pm

GREAT!!! I want them to keep talking themselves right into the grave they’re digging for themselves. It’s called running scared and getting desparate. :-)

7. July 7, 2011 at 5:01 pm

What we just saw was a reason why their ought to be term limits. When people have been around for so long they start to lose what common sense they use to have. Orrin Hatch should be riding off into his sunset. I am so amaze at these Republicans, there are rich people, rich companies who are not paying their share. Was it General Electric who paid no taxes? Do these people hate the poor people? A lot of these people like Hatch call themselves christians. It would do them go to remember who Jesus hung around with, it wasn’t the millionaires and billionaires. Jesus said to help the poor, the needy, the hungry, the widows, the sick. Jesus said in as much as you done this to the least of them you did it to me. Meaning when you help them, you are helping me.

• 10 utaustinliberal
      July 7, 2011 at 5:40 pm

I am right there with you in agreement, anniebella. I sincerely wish Congress had term limits just as the President has. If they did, they wouldn’t be holding this country hostage on every tom, dick and harry legislation. They wouldn’t be forever concerned about election cycles and pandering to lobbyists and special interest groups.

As for Orrin Hatch and his buffoonish idea that 51% of American’s don’t pay income taxes. This is the same crap Buchanan was spewing on Morning Joe on tuesday and Steve Ratner categorically pointed out the lie for what it was. They all get their talking points out of Ye Grande Olde Wrinkely White Ass.

• July 7, 2011 at 8:04 pm

When people start rolling out the statistics on the large percentage of people who don’t pay income tax, it is important to respond that every working person pays payroll taxes. And every consumer pays sales tax (granted that is a state tax). And everyone who drives pays gas taxes. And people also pay excise taxes on cigarettes and alcohol, etc. So it is just not true that poor people don’t pay taxes.

• July 7, 2011 at 5:41 pm

Absolutely Anniebella, and not only that, but when Jesus ran across this rich man wanting to know, what can he do to get Into heaven. Jesus told him to keep my commandments. The rich man said I have kept them sir, then Jesus told him to sell all and give to the poor, well tha rich man walked away sad, because he didn’t want to sell and give to the poor, so there, It comes from the good book Of course, I’m para phrasing , but that’s the bottom line.

8. 13 dotster
    July 7, 2011 at 5:02 pm

“Out of whack” is right. This present day Republican Party is completely morally bankrupt. Their thoughts and pleas seem to be getting crazier and uglier by the minute.

9. 14 meta
    July 7, 2011 at 5:10 pm

Hatch is despicable. These creeps have no idea about this economy. Wanting the poor to pay his salary so he can strut this nonsense day in and day out? Sorry but he is a PIG who needs to GO.

10. July 7, 2011 at 5:15 pm

Good afternoon all. Is anybody as POd as i am about what oozed outta his mouth. He should make himself familiar with what’s going on in this country. http://sociology.ucsc.edu/whorulesamerica/power/wealth.html
    So much for my civilized side…. Orrin, if i were your mother, i’d bark!

11. 17 Gc
    July 7, 2011 at 5:23 pm

Not f’ing acceptable. I volunteer with the poor. How f’ing dare he say that???

• 18 HZ
      July 7, 2011 at 5:47 pm

Hello my TOD Family. Just getting to my computer for the afternoon. I am coping with my health, but I am working for our greater cause for now. I just called Senator Orrin Hatch’s Senator Office in Washigton, DC. I left a message and have him a part of my heart regarding his speech. I also work with those who have less than many of us, and it is an insult to my dear ones who need help and are trying to do what they can during these difficult times in our nation. I left my name, phone number and my message. For those of you who are lead to do as your heart leads, here is the information for his office: Senator Orrin Hatch 104 Hart Office Bldg. Washington, DC 20510. Phone: 202-224-5251 and Fax: 202 224-6331. Love you my dear TOD Family. My pain is in my physical body, but my greater pain is in my heart and soul. I will be fine. Let us go respectfully in the technological means that are comfortable for each of us to use.

• 19 gc
        July 7, 2011 at 6:07 pm

I reacted much the same. I immediaely flashed to the line awaiting the opening of the soup kitchen doors. The people who had been chased away from the heating grates. Many need meds, don’t take them, or can’ get them. They are too paranoid to eat our sandwiches.
        THEIR fault! One of the reasons common putdowns such as “off his/her meds” bugs me, BTW. Without stability and security, staying on drug regimens is hard. The side effects are often miserable. Not an expression to be used lightly. Sorry for the rant. I’m not terribly political, but social service oriented, I am.

Love you, HZ. A privilege to “know” you. You can give part of your heart away, and STILL have one as spacious as the sky.

• 20 HZ
          July 7, 2011 at 6:33 pm

Oh, gc, I am so grateful for all of your work that you are doing for so many beautiful people. You stated something to me that resonate with my heart. People just do not realize that when one is not able to be able to get their medications and those medications are not in their systems for periods of time will even bring on hurtful results to the patients. We will continue to do what we are being called to to do with the love and gracefully as you are gc, we will be touching the lives with a sacredness of being a human being who cares and are willing to help in ways that will matter to many individuals and families who are in need. I just wrote a long (another one) letter to Speaker Boehner also. That was why I was gone for a while. We will see. If I do not get an answer, I will write and call again. Love you back, gc. Also a humble privilege to “know” you also, my dear family member.

• 21 Fred
            July 7, 2011 at 6:54 pm

HZ nice to see you.Happy you are getting your computer back today.Happy to hear that you are hanging in there with your health.Thank you HZ and GC for all the work you do

• 22 HZ
              July 7, 2011 at 7:27 pm

Hi Fred, and I hope that you are feeling better also. We are tough and fighters. I am writing letters and making some phone calls. I enjoy doing it, Fred. That is what I love about our family here. We are working with love and compassion. And when the opposition tries to get to us, we know when , where, and how to counteract it all. I thank you for your love for the President in your loving prayers. We will get this work done together. Love you back also, Fred. Thank you so much, Fred.

• 23 Fred
                July 7, 2011 at 7:59 pm

feeling better today HZ.Thank you for asking.I pray for the President all day;everyday to be honest because he needs it quite frankly.He needs God’s guidance;the patience and most of all the strength to deal with everything that comes his way.
                Once again thank YOU for what you do without any recognition for those who need the help.

• 24 Betsey
          July 7, 2011 at 7:09 pm

To both HZ and gc, your words are so moving. It’s these “little” stories that make all the difference and bring home to others the kind of suffering that people go through. I was angry at Hatch’s words, but your description of people struggling with something as straightforward to so many of us as taking medication brought tears to my eyes. The combination of his callousness and the vivid, sad picture you painted is heartbreaking.

• 25 HZ
            July 7, 2011 at 7:32 pm

As you know, I am sure Betsey, it really breaks the heart when you see it for yourself and talk with these beautiful people. But we will all do our own calling in whatever that direction may be. I am sure there iw a reason why I come across those who are dealing with their medications, and places to live. We are all given the “Calling Paths” where we would walk most humbly with care and compassion to assist wherever we can. We Will Get This Done. You all give me so much faith daily as I read your comments, and as I see you taking it to Twitter etc. Thank you all for giving me hope in that you all will look out for your futures as well as those who have no advocate to plead their causes.

12. 26 isonprize
    July 7, 2011 at 8:09 pm

oooooooh, don’t even get me started. What would he say about the family that I met in the shelter (because their house burned down and the father died in the fire from injuries he got trying to save one of the children who also died) ? The mother was left with one child with special needs. She’s on a list for housing and is getting therapy, but what else would he expect her to contribute??????

What would he say to the family whose teenager died after a rare brain tumor, and they were bankrupt because they spent all their money for her medical care after the insurance maxed out? And the mother got laid off because she took too many days off of work? And they have two children, one a senior in HS and the other smart enough to attend college, and applying for scholarships like mad. What would Hatchet expect this family to contribute???

oooooh don’t even get me started!!!!

13. 27 carolyn
    July 7, 2011 at 9:16 pm

These people have no shame! They have no knowledge of life. They have no understanding, and they have no care that they don’t have any of those qualities. How could anyone in this country, supposedly a leader, actually say that out loud!!!

RSS OFA