Jul

oh these people….

Jack and Jill: In Iowa, there’s a social conservative pledge called “The Marriage Vow – A Declaration of Dependence upon Marriage and Family” that is anti-abortion, anti-same sex marriage, anti-divorce etc etc that GOP candidates are being urged to sign. (It includes:)

Slavery had a disastrous impact on African-American families, yet sadly a child born into slavery in 1860 was more likely to be raised by his mother and father in a two-parent household than was an African-American baby born after the election of the USA’s first African-American President.

Given that families were broken up regularly for sales during slavery and that rape by masters was pretty common, this could not be more offensive … When will Republicans inquire with actual Black people whether or not we’re ok with invoking slavery to score cheap political points? It has to stop….

Full post here

Michele Bachmann (here) and Rick Santorum (here) have signed the ‘pledge’

More at ThinkProgress and baratunde.com

Thanks lmrj

45 Responses to “oh these people….”

1. July 8, 2011 at 5:43 pm

for this alone:

Fuck Every single GOP candidate, elected official and every freak that votes for them. These are my personal feelings- I will never be surprised by their ignorance, their hate nor their all out racism. I am sick to death of them fouling our country with their revisionist BullShit.

enough from me today. pissed.off.

• July 8, 2011 at 5:50 pm

And lets try to remember that Barack Obama has been President for less than 3 years, slavery was with us for 400 freaking years. I am so incensed by this filthy garbage.

• 3 meta
        July 8, 2011 at 6:01 pm

I hear your every word. It’s just sickening to think about these freaks.

• July 8, 2011 at 6:46 pm

sheri icouldn’t agree with you more i’m watching Rev Sharpton as i type this and this Ferry dude is fumblin and bumblin’ about this. No need to get pissed off. We knew it was only a matter of time before the true nature of amerKKKa would reveal itself in “race neutral” USA.
        The struggle continues.

• July 8, 2011 at 8:20 pm

You know what though, even Ferry who’s usually shouting and foaming at the mouth, knew he couldn’t defend this. It was the most subdued I’ve ever seen him. We cannot let this go, people. We’ve got her on this garbage. Let’s bombard her, sunday shows, let our friends and family know. Let’s not let it die.

• 6 utaustinliberal
            July 8, 2011 at 9:22 pm

I saw this on Rev. Al’s show and you’re right POB. That was the most subdued I’ve ever seen John Ferry. There is no way to justify or defend this abhorrent trash. Everyday people try to tell African-Americans that since we have a black President, then everything’s hunky dory. The GOP is chuck full of racists scumbags that have the misfortune of walking this earth. For this group and Bachmann and Santorum to tell black people that slavery was all dandy because our ancestors got to live in a two parent household is first of all a LIE and second of all is just disgusting. I firmly believe that if the GOP had their way, they would reinstitute slavery in a jiffy! I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again, this is not the republican party of moderates and ANYONE who votes republican these days or identifies themself as one has to have a screw loose in their brain and needs to seriously examine themself and reorganize his/her priorities.

• July 8, 2011 at 9:07 pm

What you said. And to the media too that looks the other way and gives quiet voice to this kind of thing in this country. They did the same thing with the birther issue. In the face of all this ugliness if there is not one so-called mainstream journalist (i.e. Williams or Scheiffer) that can push back at these so-called GOP leaders, then their silence tells me it is just OK with them.

Notice that the only time Bob Scheiffer had anything to say about bitherism being racist when Trump was pushing that meme, was after POTUS released his birth certificate and after he kicked Trump’s behind at that correspondence dinner,

Before that no one outrightly condemned the bitrher mess. Not one of them. The same can be said for the Democrats in the House and the Senate.

That a sitting president has to endure any of this without much push back from any so called leader on the national stage or the media is something that has been quite disturbing to me for a long time.

I hope that we can push back at these people with every bit of energy that we have. This is just totally unacceptable.

2. 8 makesense4tulips
    July 8, 2011 at 5:49 pm

She should have also added included the children that was born thru rape. they had to raise the whiteman child. also the assault to dismantle our families was lead by republicans. If you want any assistance you have to get rid of the man, we will not give u help in housing, food, education unless he is out of the house. That was the criteria for getting public housing back in the day, all of this and an inspection of your house to make sure a man did not live their. This is how the housing project was invented and made.

• July 8, 2011 at 6:08 pm

No, they wouldn’t dare mention that. I’m sure to the Bachmanns of the world think the slave master never rape anyone, they treated them all just grand. They gave them a roof over their head, food to eat, all the owners ask is they work like a dog,what were their to complain about. These Republicans are sick and down right scary

3. 10 meta
    July 8, 2011 at 5:56 pm

Oh for the love of all that’s right in the universe, this unmitigated gall, staggering ignorance and the mind-numbing arrogance that these people think they know anything, anything whatsoever, about which they speak. Disgusting, reprehensible, ugly BS. Just beyond stupid and idiotic. AS IF slavery is somehow worth trying to put through their revisionist history, pretending not to know what slavery and ownership did to the spirit, the body, the mind, the family of those enslaved. I’m sick to my stomach by the words of these cretins and the thought that they feel qualified to attain the honor of running this country. PUKE. OUTRAGE.

4. July 8, 2011 at 6:00 pm

I would expect that fool Bachmann to sign it. It is amazing how these folks who don’t know a dam thing about how black people were affected by slavery, always have something to say. I don’t care what the economy is, these hateful racists Republicans ought to make people scare as hell. To think of letting these people take control of things. We will be heading back to slavery days.

• 12 Dakota
      July 8, 2011 at 6:24 pm

How I would love to bitch-slap the Stepford wife shit out of her right now!!!! Listen…these disgusting freak Rethugs not only want to put us Black folk back into slavery, but every working class person in this county into slavery!!! I hope people wake up and help us crush these racist bastards into the ground!!!

5. 14 GGail
    July 8, 2011 at 6:00 pm

Boy are they really reaching to connect some negative dots. People, please, laugh and keep sending/tweeting facts not fiction. Something so absurd should not be given any weight.

6. July 8, 2011 at 6:11 pm

Hi Chipsticks,

Did you guys catch this story:

Pelosi flexes muscle as House Democrats prepare for final debt ceiling negotiations

House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi has so far played a minor, background role in the negotiations between President Obama and congressional Republicans over raising the debt ceiling. But she sought to change all that Friday, in a private meeting with Obama to drive home her earlier pledge to oppose any deal that cuts the nation’s entitlement programs.
    Pelosi emerged from a meeting with House Democrats Friday to announce that they remain “firm” in their commitment to keep Social Security, Medicaid and Medicare free from cuts.

Full article here:

• July 8, 2011 at 6:22 pm

The left is drawing lines in the sand no cola cuts to ss. The right is drawing a line in the sand no new tax revenues. Folks, we are going to default and there will not even be a ss or Medicare.
      House dams are a problem, they have to much emotions and dint want to take anymore tough votes.
      Analysis, both sides willing to go to default as long as they do not have to vote on anything tough.

• 18 meta
        July 8, 2011 at 6:37 pm

Right now we are still in the posturing phase. More Kabuki to come. Congress is full of emo queens who delight in the 2-cent drama. You know – last minute high-wire act tension, woman strapped to the railroad tracks. Will anybody save her? Just like all the other fights of the last 2 1/2 years. We will get through this.

• 20 meta
      July 8, 2011 at 6:34 pm

Sometimes I wonder where we’d be without Nancy Pelosi. She is so strong and so capable. She is a supremely tough fighter. We really need to do all we can to win back the House.

• 21 Charmed
      July 8, 2011 at 9:45 pm

If the President had ever, just once said he wanted to cut benefits I could understand the dems posturing BUT he never has.

7. 22 makesense4tulips
    July 8, 2011 at 6:33 pm

Rev Al is letting the democratic congress have.

• 23 mb32
      July 8, 2011 at 8:30 pm

Hate I missed it. Decided to go to a movie after work to relieve the stress.

Just wanted to tell you that you idea of developing a plan this weekend for how to get around the press and PL is a good idea. I believe the best approach is going local like the president does in his interviews. We should develop regional teams that target local media and blogs. We find out what the admin is doing in certain areas, like their plan to rebuild Detroit and other cities that someone tweeted today. Then those in that region, which could be as broad as the Midwest or more specific like the state or county, find the local radio stations – talk, news or music, the local tv news stations, newspapers, blogs, etc. Then we saturate the market with what the admin has done or is doing or will do. We call the radio stations, tweet and email the local anchors, leave comments in articles, etc. We could even set up a Facebook page or twitter account were we compile all of the pertinent information regarding their area and give out the address in comments, emails, etc. And then at some point if these pages develop a local following then we could link to the OFA sites with local events that they could get involved in.

• 25 mb32
          July 8, 2011 at 9:07 pm

I was just riffing off what Tulips said earlier….I think we can be the change we’ve been looking for :)

• 26 utaustinliberal
            July 8, 2011 at 9:29 pm

I love how proactive we’re all being and the ideas for more proactiveness that keep coming from the TOD family is staggering. I’ll say this loud, clear and proud: I AM PROUD TO BE A TOD’ER!

Great idea mb32. Please keep them coming.

• 27 taiping1
        July 8, 2011 at 8:50 pm

WhatIsWorking.com has talking points in all these area outlined; short videos; many stories of progress. A good resource.

• 29 mb32
        July 8, 2011 at 8:59 pm

I also wonder if we need to develop an immediate action plan for the current debt ceiling debate? I don’t believe PBO ever planned on cutting SS and Medicare benefits. For one Nancy Pelosi, who is no shrinking violet, would have had a lot more to say about it, and I just read the People’sView post that said the PCC heads defended PBO. This nonsense was a hit job by WaPo. But with the bad job #s we need to see this as an opportunity to turn the focus back to jobs. Let’s take a negative and turn it into a positive. We need to be loud and vocal about jobs. Let’s look at all the jobs plans that have been proposed and get behind one or all of them. We could still use the regional approach, emphasizing to locals how these plans will positively affect them. Like the specific schools that would be fixed and the specific roads and bridges that would be rebuilt.

I wonder how many of the local anchors and reporters even know what has been proposed? We would probably be surprised. But we can start a drumbeat for these initiatives locally, putting a personal face on them, and they just might hear it in DC…

8. 31 Sheila
    July 8, 2011 at 6:36 pm

According to Nate Silver of fivethirtyeight.com on twitter earlier today

“The “source” for the dubious statistic in pledge Bachmann signed comes from here. It refers to 1880-1910, not slavery. ”

• 32 makesense4tulips
      July 8, 2011 at 6:50 pm

she quoted it and she said slavery. Yet did she tell of the systematic assault that was done on the AA family.

9. 33 MrsJVD
    July 8, 2011 at 6:36 pm

This nonsense angers me to no end but it is par for the course, for the GOP so it didn’t surprise me. What does have me rather perplexed though is…why is it that the GOP signs these ridiculous pledges and are not brought to task for it. These pledges do not represent anything for the betterment of our nation as a whole. They are nothing more than partisan pandering pacifiers.

I do not appreciate when some people try to make President Obama, the President of Black America because he is not. He is the President of the United States of America. Therefore, it is his job to do what is in the best interests of our nation as a whole. So why in the freak is it, that basic standard NEVER seems to apply to the GOP? If our President signed such a partisan pandering pacifier pledge, the GOP would be trying to impeach him before the ink dried. So WHEN are they going to be held accountable for their actions?

10. 35 Anonymous
    July 8, 2011 at 6:52 pm

Prayer works. Just keeping praying for our Dear President. Look out people R. Murdock is falling off a cliff.

11. 36 Betty's Girl
    July 8, 2011 at 6:56 pm

This crowd is certainly fixated on slavery. Maybe it time we push to make it mandatory for all American studies so they can learn some of the truth. All these pledges is going to come back to bite. Mark my words!

12. July 8, 2011 at 7:20 pm

Defazio is a twirp. You see , instead of getting on tv to go after republicans, they go after the president instead. It’s like they cannot wait to get on tv to bash the president.
    They want the president to take all the responsibility if the nation defaults. Every democrat for himself routine!

13. 38 Deb Paree
    July 8, 2011 at 7:20 pm

Every Democrat in Congress should call these Repulicans to task for taking a pledge to a lobbying group. The only “pledge” any of our elected representatives should take is their Oath of Office as required by the Constitution. Any other “pledge” (beside the one to the Flag) should be called out as unConstitutional….unPatriotic….unAmerican…the Democrats should hit those Republicans where they live on this issue!

• July 8, 2011 at 7:31 pm

House dems are to busy taking a maximalist approach, just like the tea baggers in congress. So, when the nation defaults they can blame him

14. 40 isonprize
    July 8, 2011 at 7:39 pm

Sweet Baby JESUS!! These people are really crazy. Aside from needing MAJOR prayer, they have GOT TO BE STOPPED. All of this is related to Karl Rove’s point that Rev. Al brought up when he guest hosted on the Ed Show.

Karl Rove has figured out EXACTLY how many votes (of course, he calculated it as “black votes”) would need to be suppressed to flip states from Democratic to Republican. He’s evil, but he’s not stupid.

I have total belief in President Obama, BUT WE ARE GOING TO HAVE TO WORK OUR A$$%^&*$ OFF, not only to get Barack Obama re-elected, but to swing the house back to Nancy!

I’m asking you to believe. Not just in my ability to bring change to Washington… I’m asking you to believe in yours.
    ~Barack Obama

• July 8, 2011 at 8:15 pm

Isonprize “they have to be stopped.” Exactly. We must not loose sight of this. They simply cannot get the WH or the senate. And we must — we must — take back the House. Otherwise, we are truly doomed.

I’ve been tweeting Bachmann @TeamBachmann about her despicable comment. And I’m not going to stop. I was so mad today I had to go out and do some retail therapy. I saw a post by someone about a strategy to combat the media and rethugs. It was really good so I’m going to go back and find it. Maybe a few of us can team up on this stuff.

Enough is enough. I told Bachmann she is a racist and no Christian.

You are so right about everything, isonprize. PBO can take care of business, but we’ve got to do our part. We cannot sit here and get depressed. We know what the game is. So let’s get in it and win it — again.

• 42 isonprize
        July 8, 2011 at 8:40 pm

I’m in. I’ve made it my personal mission to register new voters every week. I have to admit, I am crack addicted to Chick-fil-A. And the young folks who work there are so helpful. Something just made me ask one day, (after I order that Grilled chicken sandwich!!!)
        “Are you registered to vote?” Three of them chimed in. “No.” And one sheepishly admitted, “I don’t know how to do that”
        So I’m going back with registration forms for them (AND THEIR PARENTS!!!)

THESE HATEFUL REPUBLICANS MUST BE STOPPED!!! And I mean to do my part to stop them. I’m IN, if I have to take these children to the voting ballot booth my DAMN SELF!!!

• 43 GGail
          July 9, 2011 at 1:37 am

Way to go isonprize! And when you go back, take them some of our great fact-filled articles for easy reading and get their twitter addresses. You know how they love to tweet!

15. 44 lochelle
    July 8, 2011 at 8:03 pm

That is some shameless sh**t. I guess they felt they could hit the “slavery” button since we supposedly live in a “post racial” society? (sarcasm)
    How galling is that they would try to twist something positive in a horriifc time for many Africans (I say Africans because slaves were not not considered Americans then). They have no clue about the devastating impact of slavery on Africans back then and even African American families generations later – many families were ripped apart and members sold to the highest bidder. There is nothing in this article that inspires to vote for anyone who thinks and sprouts this racist drivel – it akin to selling your soul.

16. 45 isonprize
    July 8, 2011 at 8:09 pm

Meanwhile. in “post-racial” America…. (NOT!!)

Jailed for cashing Chase check at Chase bank