Jul

‘obama’s quiet guns crackdown’

Daily Beast: The president will quietly toughen regulations in the wake of the Gabby Giffords shooting, despite opposition from the NRA.

…. Attorney General Eric Holder sent a memo that escaped much public notice but left federal prosecutors with an unmistakable message. People who buy guns at U.S. shops with the intent of secretly transferring them to someone else – a tactic known as “straw buying” that is at the heart of the Mexican border violence – should face new, stiffer prison sentences…

…It was one of several quiet efforts by the Obama administration to toughen current gun regulations through administrative processes …. starting as early as next week, Obama will begin a series of changes designed to tighten regulations and penalties under current laws – bypassing a fight in Congress with the pro-gun National Rifle Association in the process.

The changes will include:

A national electronic system designed to make background checks for handgun buyers simpler and faster, leaving an electronic paper trail….

A new reporting requirement that federally licensed gun shops report any person who tries to buy two long-arm weapons near the Mexican border over a five-day period.

Tougher sentencing guidelines for straw buyers …

Full article here

12 Responses to “‘obama’s quiet guns crackdown’”

1. 1 nintendowii10
    July 11, 2011 at 4:34 pm

And cue Fox News: “See, we told you Obama wants to take our guns away!” :lol:

2. July 11, 2011 at 4:43 pm

I winder if gabby giffords can show up when he signs this executive order?

July 11, 2011 at 4:50 pm

Thank God that we are blessed with a smart, intellectually gifted and compassionate man for a President. I remember after the tragic Tucson shootings, the PL was screaming with their huge megaphones that the President should circumvent the second ammendment and ban all sorts of guns post haste! The rightwingers were screaming that Obama the rainbow, peacesign flashing President shouldn’t touch their guns! No one seemed to understand that a tragedy had just occurred and in due course, President Obama would address the situation in a coherent, cogent, mature manner; which he has just indicated. I may not understand and approve of ordinary individuals owning any type of gun let alone automatic guns; but I do understand that if anyone is looking to purchase one, there should be strict, very strict regulations before one is allowed to walk in public carrying a loaded weapon.

4. 4 meta
    July 11, 2011 at 4:55 pm

I’m so glad to hear this. I’m completely disgusted by this violent gun culture.

• 5 dotster
      July 11, 2011 at 5:28 pm

Same. Anything that can be done is welcome. I think it’s out of control in many places now. It’s like the Wild West. We see horrific news in the Chgo news every day, especially on summer nights. So many innocent children are caught in the crossfire of teenagers shooting at each other, killed for playing out in front of their homes. It seems they all have guns. No other civilized country allows this free-wheeling gun culture to exist. The power of the NRA and the politicians who fear it has been so damaging to our society. It’s insane.

5. 6 Mae who love our CIC
    July 11, 2011 at 5:23 pm

Hotdog!

6. 7 busbus
    July 11, 2011 at 7:02 pm

I am so tired of the NRA! How many guns on the street will please them? Gee Whiz. They say, go after the criminals and leave law-abiding citizens alone. Well, when I see a person openly carrying a gun, I don’t know if that person is a criminal or a law-abiding citizen. Appearances can be deceiving. I even question some of our “law abiding” police officers!

I don’t believe that any NRA member can distinguish between criminals and law-abiding citizens in a group of absolute strangers!

July 11, 2011 at 7:18 pm

I’m so glad that he’s doing this. I live in the state of AZ where these horrible murders took place at the hands of a deranged killer that should in no way shape or form had access to a gun of any sort.For those that scream about 2nd Amendment rights, I say, with that right comes responsibility, and if you are not of your right mind, then WHO defends ME? Interestingly enough, this topic is being talked about here in the Wild, wild West. http://www.azcentral.com/news/arizona-gun-law/ I encourage you to read these articles. This gun mentality is ingrained in this culture…even now, after Gabby…even now in the 21st century.

8. 10 globalcitizenlinda
    July 11, 2011 at 8:20 pm

aha, the gun-ethusiasts among the populace are going to loose their minds about this

9. 11 gn
    July 11, 2011 at 11:07 pm

Good! I don’t mind that this is being done quietly, and I support this effort 100%. Thank you to POTUS and Attorney General Holder.

10. 12 HZ
    July 12, 2011 at 12:29 am

I do not mind that he is getting this done quietly through the DOJ. I get very good updates from the DOJ daily that I signed up for from their page, and I must say, AG Eric Holder is getting a lot done. The msm is not reporting on these important issues that the DOJ is doing. Great work, Mr. President and Attorney General Holder.

RSS OFA