Jul

“obama lit him up. cantor sat in stunned silence”

“Obama lit him up. Cantor sat in stunned silence,” said an official in the meeting. “It was incredible. If the public saw Obama he would win in a landslide.”

(You know how I hate linking GOPolitico – but that line was way too good to resist)

….. Democratic sources dispute Cantor’s version of Obama’s walk out, but all sides agree that the two had a blow up. The sources described Obama as “impassioned” but said he didn’t exactly storm out of the room.

“Cantor’s account of tonight’s meeting is completely overblown. For someone who knows how to walk out of a meeting, you’d think he know it when he saw it,” a Democratic aide said. “Cantor rudely interrupted the president three times to advocate for short-term debt ceiling increases while the president was wrapping the meeting. This is just more juvenile behavior from him and Boehner needs to rein him in, and let the grown-ups get to work. “

On exiting the room, Obama reportedly said that “this confirms the totality of what the American people already believe” about Washington, said a Democratic official familiar with debt negotiations, that officials are “too focused on positioning and political posturing” to make difficult choices.

ABC: Amidst discussions of credit ratings agency Moody’s putting the U.S. on review for downgrade, President Obama told congressional leaders today that by Friday they all have to decide what they’re doing: a compromise package to reduce the deficit, or if there’s no willingness to compromise, some other way to raise the debt ceiling and avoid defaulting.

The president made the declaration at today’s deficit reduction meeting in the Cabinet Room, which began at 4:24 p.m. ET and ended at 6:16 p.m.

A Democrat familiar with the negotiations, said that the group went through discretionary and mandatory spending cuts – more than $1 trillion over 10 years – that had been discussed in the earlier talks led by Vice President Joe Biden.

The group agreed to return to the table tomorrow afternoon to talk about mechanisms for those cuts and possibly to address health care spending (Medicare and Medicaid) and a possible extension of the payroll tax cut…

…Eric Cantor raised yet again the possibility of a short-term fix, which President Obama, seemingly frustrated – according to Republicans – shot down, abruptly ending the meeting.

CBS: As negotiations continue over raising the nation’s debt ceiling to avoid any potential default on America’s fiscal obligations, the daily meetings at the White House on the subject have been getting more tense, people familiar with the negotiations tell CBS News.

Wednesday’s meeting was the most tense meeting of the week, a GOP aide told CBS News. In fact, the president ended the meeting by abruptly leaving the room.

…A Democratic aide described the meeting in different terms to CBS News, saying the participants had a constructive conversation on the numbers, and talked specifics.

House Majority Leader Eric Cantor reportedly kept pushing for a short-term deal, which President Obama promised to veto if it reached his desk.

296 Responses to ““obama lit him up. cantor sat in stunned silence””

1. 1 Me4obama
    July 13, 2011 at 7:35 pm

Latest Tweet News: the President told Eric Cantor ” don’t call my bluff, am taking this to the American People”

• 2 Anonymous
      July 13, 2011 at 7:43 pm

“Don’t call my bluff” would indicate that he is bluffing. Seems like a weird thing to say. “Think I’m bluffing, I’ll take this to the American People” would have made more sense. But if he was angry things might have got mixed up.

President Obama should take it to the American people with a prime time address from the Oval Office. Maybe Moody’s downgrading bond ratings next week could be the impetus. Though I’m sure the GOP would whine to the networks that they deserve equal time to rebut as well.

• July 13, 2011 at 7:49 pm

I think that is what he meant! Sound good, congress should be flooded with calls snd emails daily.
        I did my round yesterday, time to hit the phones again.
        My congressman is bill young a republican. He knows me bc he helped me get my veterans benefits.
        He always takes my call if he is around. This time he did not. Hmmmm!

• 4 dotster
      July 13, 2011 at 8:29 pm

Lawrence O’Donnell’s opening statement tonight was unbelievably stupendous. I laughed—-maybe shouldn’t have—–when he said (paraphrasing)—-people who doubt President Obama’s resolve or toughness forget that his remedy for the Somali pirates was to shoot them in the head. LOD believes that Obama has played this whole deal brilliantly, that the lowly Repubs are way outclassed.

• 5 TrumpDog
        July 13, 2011 at 8:42 pm

The segment about Obama’s campaign haul was good too.
        Take that, Adam Green.

• 9 ChristiMtl
        July 13, 2011 at 8:59 pm

lol I know! I gasped when I heard him…………shoot them in the head……oh my

• July 13, 2011 at 9:16 pm

I, too, thought that was frigging HILARIOUS.

and on point.

• 11 Dorothy Rissman
        July 13, 2011 at 9:36 pm

Yes We Can! The show was phenom. Lawrence owed up to believing that the base was those complainers. NO! We are the base. Wake up you dreamers. You are nothing but pieces of dirt. Someone on msnbc has finally gotten the message. Guess what? The Last Word numbers are going up. Dah! We knew all along.

dotster, That was an amazing analogy. I actually recorded the episode so if things are not going well, I will be able to remember the truth.

• 12 Betsy
          July 13, 2011 at 9:43 pm

I thought Lawrence was f*king brilliant!!! Sorry it’s the only appropriate word for me to use today.

July 13, 2011 at 10:30 pm

I sent him an email tonight praising him and his show.Need to get those kudos when they’re due.

2. 14 meta
    July 13, 2011 at 7:37 pm

If Cantor thinks the President is going to sit there and take this juvenile crap every 3 months, he’s freakin NUTS.

3. 15 GGail
    July 13, 2011 at 7:37 pm

Boehner needs to grow a pair and take Cantor to the wood shed for a dressing down.

• July 13, 2011 at 8:49 pm

What’s that they always used to love to say to President Obama? Obama need to man up. Well John Boehner need to man up. We always knew he cried to much. Man up Speaker Boehner. You have let that little second hand private Cantor push you aside and taken your place. Man up Mr. Speaker.

4. 17 Anonymous
    July 13, 2011 at 7:39 pm

Cantor and McConnell just want to play politics. Both want to kick the can down the road in hopes that President Obama isn’t re-elected and then they can get all the cuts they want without any revenue raises under Romney. Both don’t want to settle the debt ceiling issue because the uncertainty is hurting the economy and they see that as good for their politics.

5. 18 gc
    July 13, 2011 at 7:44 pm

I suppose the reason I feel, well, HOT, reading this is because CT has a heat wave???

July 13, 2011 at 10:33 pm

Got air conditioning??? Hope all is well there! I remember those hot summer nights with no a/c!

• 20 gc
        July 13, 2011 at 11:05 pm

Hi DF

We do have A/C, so it’s OK. The humidity is making it feel like 115, I’ve heard. This generally correlates with increased gang related violence in Hartford though.

• 21 majii
          July 13, 2011 at 11:18 pm

Girl,
          You don’t know how fortunate you are to be in CT. Here in GA once you step outside, the heat and humidity almost take your breath away instantly.

• 22 Gc
            July 14, 2011 at 12:05 am

GA is probably like FL. I was miserable there. My son went to school in Charlotte. Their humidity made me crazy. I’d whine, but the natives were noy sympathetic, bad manners, I guess:)

• 23 Tally
          July 14, 2011 at 9:44 am

I lived in CT for about five minutes. Worked at GFox at Westfarms as an Estee Lauder whore, and did theatre at Hole-In-The-Wall in New Britain.

The humidity in New England (also lived in Boston for even less time) made me want to stab myself in the head. I am a CA Native/Desert Girl – who is glas to back with her tumbleweeds, and Vegas being basically East East North East Los Angeles (basically, the other side of town.)
          :D

• 24 Tally
            July 14, 2011 at 9:46 am

GLAD. Who is GLAD…. ugh – it’s early here. Got up to watch le Tour and haven’t had any tea yet. GAH!

• 26 majii
      July 13, 2011 at 11:25 pm

Good news, Jovie! It sickens me how anti-public transportation many Georgians are. I won’t even think about driving to Atlanta at peak periods of the day for fear of being stuck on the interstate in traffic. Our state legislature didn’t want to borrow the money to pay for the state’s portion of a high speed rail system, but when the republicans who run it discovered that VA won big funding for hsr and the news became public knowledge, the conservatives blamed PBO for GA not getting the funds.

6. 27 Fred
    July 13, 2011 at 7:46 pm

that’s right President Obama ;stay the course;don’t let that arrogant little prick think he can order you around.No YOU order his azz around.
    frack off Cantor on behalf of ALL students in this country;my President will NOT let you screw with us

7. 28 dotster
    July 13, 2011 at 7:46 pm

Like I said, will someone with good aim please throw a cream pie—cocoNUT—-in the direction of Eric Cantor’s face. I described Cantor tonight to Mr.. Dot as “smarmy”, a stolen but apt description. Mr. Dot made me look up definition, one of which was “a facial expression which makes you instantly hate that person”. Yes, perfect.

• 29 Fred
      July 13, 2011 at 7:48 pm

that is an insult to coconuts Dots ;) . Dog poo is what those tools deserve to be thrown at them

8. 30 halo
    July 13, 2011 at 7:47 pm

Eric Cantor is a smarmy asshole.

July 13, 2011 at 7:47 pm

Good on you Mr. President. No more crappy short term fixes. Deal with the problem or face the consequences. Eric Cantor has the audacity to think he can make President Obama look like a fool. These moronic GOP’ers forget that the President has a larger and wider bully pulpit and he knows how to use it. His CBS News interview with Scott Pelley showed that. When he said there was no guarantee that SS checks and Medicare benefits could go out to seniors on August 3rd, that clip was played on every evening news show, every morning talk show and every political talk show. It made people who hadn’t been paying attention, sit up and take notice and now they’re realizing that this is no joke and the republicans are gambling with everyones livelihoods. The republicans better hope they resolve this mess before the full ire of the public is upon them.

• 32 Me4obama
      July 13, 2011 at 7:53 pm

It takes a lot to make this President ticked off. I am sure he is going to make Cantor Pay, big time.

10. July 13, 2011 at 7:52 pm

I believe the President ended the meeting, but I have a really hard time believing that it was as abrupt and as angry as portrayed. Furthermore, the President does not misspeak.

11. 38 GOVCHRIS1988
    July 13, 2011 at 7:53 pm

Folks, remember, Eric Cantor SAID THIS IS WHAT HE SAID! In what universe does a Republican accurately quote anything President Obama says?

• 39 Fred
      July 13, 2011 at 7:57 pm

you are right.This is nothing but the GOP and GOP loving media’s spin as well

• July 13, 2011 at 8:16 pm

We all know by now that smarmy Eric Cantor lies every time he opens his mouth.

• July 13, 2011 at 8:50 pm

You got that right

• 42 nathkatun7
      July 14, 2011 at 1:05 am

Eric Cantor is a spoiled brat who lies through his teeth! I apologize to the people of MD because on another post I mistakenly suggested he was from MD. He is from Virginia. The same appeal to the people of MD goes out to Democrats in Richmond, VA! Surely you can recruit a strong Democrat to challenge this spoiled rich kid who loves political games instead of trying to act responsibly to protect the lives of the American people. Cantor’s antics are really unbecoming of a Majority Leader of the United States House of Representatives. May be his antics worked well for his private High School government; but they just don’t cut it when the government of the United States is dealing with a monumental issue of default. John Boehner needs to tell Eric to go to the corner and stop interrupting adults who are trying to solve serious issues. Please, Eric, NO MORE TANTRUMS! IT IS TIME FOR YOU TO GO TO YOUR ROOM AND CHILL OUT SINCE YOU CAN’T HANDLE ADULT DISCUSSIONS.

12. July 13, 2011 at 7:54 pm

John king: and the president walks out iod meetings in his own house. The WH, that is where he lives!

Gee, thanks for the heads up John.

I did not know the president lived in the WH? Lol!

13. 46 meta
    July 13, 2011 at 8:00 pm

PBO is the only thing standing between Boehner/Cantor and the pitchforks.

14. 47 Doris
    July 13, 2011 at 8:00 pm

Picked this up from OFA, HA!

President Obama “abruptly” walks out of Debt Ceiling Meeting.

15. July 13, 2011 at 8:00 pm

The GOP made it up, the president did not walk out if the meeting.

They are trying to make him look bad!

• 50 utaustinliberal
      July 13, 2011 at 8:17 pm

You’re absolutely right Jovie. I’m watching Lawrence and everyone is saying PBO did not walk out of the room. Even CNN reported that POTUS didn’t walk out of the room. Apparently he was ending the meeting and Cantor kept interrupting him rudely saying they only needed a short term fix and the President eloquently shut him down, telling him he would VETO any such bill. Cantor was shocked speechless and POTUS ended the meeting. Score one for the adult in the room!

ps: Cantor is spreading the false rumor that POTUS walked out of the room. #GOPFAIL

• 51 meta
        July 13, 2011 at 8:22 pm

Cantor is a major self-absorbed Drama Queen. Punto.

• 52 Brian
          July 13, 2011 at 8:34 pm

A drama queen who can’t even write believable dialog– “Don’t call my bluff (sic). I’m taking this to the American people.” Puhleeze… who’s his script writer? Palin??

• 53 geegee
        July 14, 2011 at 6:03 pm

Brat Cantor is projecting. He walked/stormed out of a meeting, so now he’s trying to bring PBO down to his level by saying PBO walked out of the meeting. Childish; juvenile behavior at it’s lowest level for someone representing the people of these United States.

• 54 COS
      July 13, 2011 at 8:57 pm

They are trying their best to potray him as an angry black man. PBO is to cool for that. MSM is ridiculous.

16. 55 meta
    July 13, 2011 at 8:03 pm

Here’s another tweet (Luke Russert, so whatever):

Dem Aide, no walk out: Cantor rudely interrupted POTUS 3 times to advocate for short-term debt ceiling increases while BO was wrapping mtg

• 56 Doris
      July 13, 2011 at 8:04 pm

I read that. The President was through talking. I love it!

• 58 meta
      July 13, 2011 at 8:08 pm

More from Reuters (whatever)

(Reuters) – U.S. President Barack Obama told Republicans at the conclusion of a stormy budget meeting on Wednesday that he would not yield further even if it puts his presidency at risk, a Republican aide said.

“I have reached the point where I say enough,” Obama said, according to the aide. “Would Ronald Reagan be sitting here? I’ve reached my limit. This may bring my presidency down, but I will not yield on this.”

• 59 meta
        July 13, 2011 at 8:11 pm

More:

Mark Knoller
        Obama quoted as telling leaders “I’ve been very patient” and he wants agreement now.

• 60 meta
          July 13, 2011 at 8:14 pm

Mark Knoller:

Obama is quoted as telling congressional leaders “enough’s enough” with respect to delay and refusal to comp

Dem official says Obama message: let’s stop the posturing, stop catering to our political bases and start compromising.

Dem officials deny report that Obama stormed out of the room or left abruptly. He made his statement and ended the meeting.

###

Cantor is such a DRAMA QUEEN. It’s always about him.

• July 13, 2011 at 9:01 pm

Cantor is not a drama queen, Eric Cantor is a liar. I’m still trying to figure out what John Boehner is. He isn’t a leader that’s for sure.

• 62 Tally
              July 13, 2011 at 9:13 pm

But how can you lead that which will not follow?

He has to lead that which has no concept of not only reality, science, and economics, but even the concept of governance and the responsibilities that come with it?

• July 13, 2011 at 8:11 pm

Thanks Meta, just added it to the post ;-)

17. 65 Me4obama
    July 13, 2011 at 8:03 pm

Lawrence is on fire.

18. 67 halo
    July 13, 2011 at 8:05 pm

• 68 Anonymous
      July 13, 2011 at 8:58 pm

Putting President Obama’s presidency at risk is exactly what McConnell, Boehner and Cantor want. Hopefully it was a bit of reverse psychology going on there or he just told them what to do.

• 69 GGail
      July 13, 2011 at 9:02 pm

Your presidency is in the capable hand of your grassroots supporters – you just handle your business Mr. President. We got your back!

19. 71 lisalovesobama
    July 13, 2011 at 8:08 pm

Lawry has a MAJOR man crush on PBO….who can blame him. :) :) Lawry is seriously on point!!!

July 13, 2011 at 8:11 pm

LAWRENCE O’DONNELL is once again on FYAH!!!

AND he is CALLING OUT THE PL PUNDITRY!!!!!! Don’t mean to shout, but I’m really pumped here. This segment by LOD is a must-see.

• 75 utaustinliberal
      July 13, 2011 at 8:26 pm

I’m watching him and the first segment on the debt ceiling was FANTASTIC!!!! Now he’s taking on the PL and their feckless outrage at PBO. He’s telling them to suck it because their hate failed and PBO raised $86 million. Most importantly, he got more than 260,000 new donors that weren’t part of the 2008 cycle. Freaking sweet!

• 76 Betsy
        July 13, 2011 at 9:48 pm

It was sweet. I couldn’t believe it. After the show I tweeted him and told him I appreciated his show and his taking down Adam Green who is vile.

21. 77 sjterrid
    July 13, 2011 at 8:11 pm

When I heard turtle’s plan yesterday, I had a feeling the President wouldn’t agree to this. He said at the press conference, the other day, that he wouldn’t accept any short term fixes with the debt ceiling. That it would have to be raised until after 2012, because business and markets need “certainty”.

22. 78 Tally
    July 13, 2011 at 8:15 pm

Sing it with me:

O-BA-MA!
    O-BA-MA!
    O-BA-MA! FUCK YEAH!
    Coming again, to save the mother fucking day yeah,
    O-BA-MA! FUCK YEAH!
    Freedom is the only way yeah,
    GOP your game is through cause now you have to answer too,
    O-BA-MA! FUCK YEAH!
    So lick my butt, and suck on my balls,
    O-BA-MA! FUCK YEAH!
    What you going to do when we come for you now,
    it’s the dream that we all share; it’s the hope for tomorrow…..
    :D :D :D

July 13, 2011 at 8:20 pm

LOVE IT – I don’t know the tune but I’m singing any way :)

• 81 utaustinliberal
          July 13, 2011 at 8:46 pm

Hahahahahahahaha I salute you Tally. You are my kinda girl! I could definitely hang with you, cuss all day and shoot the breeze. I remember this movie! America; FUCK YEAH, Starbucks FUCK YEAH!, Fake Tits FUCK YEAH! Liberty FUCK YEAH! Las Vegas FUCK YEAH! Democrats FUCK YEAH! Tacobell FUCK YEAH! Bed, Bath and Beyond…..uh..f….uck yeah? Republicans…. uh…… f…uck yeah? BandAids FUCK YEAH! Popeye’s FUCK YEAH! Books FUCK YEAH! Disney World FUCK YEAH! Sushi FUCK YEAH! Internet FUCK YEAH! Porno FUCK YEAH! Christmas FUCK YEAH! Rock n Roll FUCK YEAH! Reeboks FUCK YEAH! Rodeo FUCK YEAH! Immigrants FUCK YEAH! :lol: :lol:

• 82 LunarSea
          July 13, 2011 at 10:38 pm

And don’t forget this one

• 84 Proud of Obama
      July 13, 2011 at 8:38 pm

Ha! They begged him to get involved and “lead.” They got their wish. Tools.

23. 86 Doris
    July 13, 2011 at 8:26 pm

No Adam Green didn’t!

24. 87 lisalovesobama
    July 13, 2011 at 8:26 pm

Lawry got Ari somebody on. That guy’s a hack! I’ve glimpsed him on Dylan Rat’s show and he talked about being disappointed in PBO. :roll: what an idiot.
    ps- also the Adam guy they are talking about issuing their threats against PBO. Donor strike my ass.

• July 13, 2011 at 8:34 pm

I know, Adam and his navy, said that the president will Lose millions of supporters when they find out he wants to cut ss and Medicare!
      This is a Lying ass!
      So, whose side is this guy on?

• 89 lisalovesobama
        July 13, 2011 at 8:43 pm

Nobody’s but his own. Love his last sentence basically saying PBO is disappointing and will lose millions on people who voted for, and volunteered for him. He should have added: ‘except me. I didn’t vote for him but he should just sit down, shut up and be my bitch’. Dumb fuck. Then the whopper: “ALL the fundraising money was collected before PBO was threatening medicare and SS” Fricking liar! I remember donating on June 29th at 2:30pm, just a few hours before the drive ended -remember it would end on June 30th? Well by then PBO had been talking about modifications in SS in order to “make it leaner, meaner and more effective.” That phrase has been so often repeated that I’ve got it down pat. Adam is a dumb ass fucker. I wish I could contact him to tell him to go fuck himself, but judging by the way he looks, he has alot of experience doing that already. Fucker. :x

• 90 lisalovesobama
          July 13, 2011 at 8:46 pm

In terms of SS— “to make sure it’s there for future generations” “leaner, meaner and more effective is the government” Damn. I was so mad I didn’t re-read. But everything else I said is true!!! :x

25. 91 Me4obama
    July 13, 2011 at 8:28 pm

Lawrence is taking on Adam Green and the PLs. What happened in Malawi that turned Lawrence into an Obambot. Well come to the club Lawry a man crush is also acceptable to us ladies.

26. 95 Me4obama
    July 13, 2011 at 8:36 pm

If Eric Cantor goes before the cameras he needs to explain how the President walked out of the meeting. He just opened a can of warms and he has to answer his LIES.

• 96 Fred
      July 13, 2011 at 8:46 pm

may GOD guide and bless and give the President plenty of patience;health and strength ad may the Holy Spirit double up because this man has his limits too and the Debt Ceiling is not yet resolved but still has to deal with those jackasses.

have a good night TOD family

• July 13, 2011 at 8:52 pm

This is the same kind of political theater the president talks about. These Republicans haven’t a clue what they are doing. And frankly they don’t give a damn who gets hurt.

27. 98 Me4obama
    July 13, 2011 at 8:42 pm

Eric Cantor needs to sign a pledge to kiss my ass every morning until the debt ceiling in raised.

28. July 13, 2011 at 8:45 pm

Prayer for Obama

The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? the LORD is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? When the wicked, even mine enemies and my foes, came upon me to eat up my flesh, they stumbled and fell. Though an host should encamp against me, my heart shall not fear: though war should rise against me, in this will I be confident. (Psalm 27:1-3).

Every cloud of confusion, covering Obama divine goal, I ask the Lord to clear it , in the name of Jesus.

Every evil meeting summoned against Obama goal, I ask in Jesus name to scatter it, in the name of Jesus.

Lord I ask that the Anointing to excel, fall upon Obama now, in the name of Jesus.

Lord, As from now on, I pray that Obama shall prevail against his enemies in the name of Jesus.

Every wick plans against Obama I pray that it dies, in the name of Jesus.

Father God, write Obama name in the book of success, I pray in the name of Jesus.

29. July 13, 2011 at 8:52 pm

Lawery just hit a home run!

30. 112 donna dem 4 obama
    July 13, 2011 at 8:54 pm

If Moody’s downgrades the United States, “it will be a tax increase on every American,” he said.

There needs to be a long-term debt extension, the president argued.

“This may bring my presidency down, but I will not yield on this,” he said.

Then he abruptly ended the meeting, saying, “see you tomorrow.”

-Jake Tapper

• 113 Anonymous
      July 13, 2011 at 9:02 pm

GOP wants short term extensions so they cn keep economic uncertainty to keep businesses from hiring. Obama is saying “Debt ceiling extension will take us through 2012 elections or I will veto it” and daring Cantor to try him.

Cantor seemed to run out of th meeting and right to the press to get his side of the story out. New stories leaking tell a much different account.

President Obama told jokes after giving the go-ahead to get Bin Laden – he’s not going to be thrown off by the puke Cantor.

• 114 lisalovesobama
      July 13, 2011 at 9:06 pm

Okay Donna. At first I was leery of looking at anything Major A-hole Tapper wrote, but I bucked up cause the snippets you wrote were too fricking awesome. So I went and it was worth it!!! It’s gotta be true because Repug shill Tapper would NEVER lie and make PBO look sooooooo damn good. :)

31. 115 Tally
    July 13, 2011 at 8:59 pm

Who gives a FUCK if the POTUS walked or stormed out??

FUCK CANTOR – He walked out first. SO it’s okay if CANTOR walks and not okay for THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES????

Pot, can you please kick Kettle’s ass and show him how is Daddy is?

FUCK YOU CANTOR!!!

EPIC #GOPFAIL AGAIN.

• 116 halo
      July 13, 2011 at 9:03 pm

AGREED! FUCK YOU, ERIC CANTOR. GO ROT IN HELL

• July 13, 2011 at 9:03 pm

Cantor is totally bitchmade. He needs his ass kicked and kicked well. :twisted:

• 118 nathkatun7
      July 14, 2011 at 1:43 am

Well Tally, go ahead and Speak the Truth! You are probably too young to remember this expression: “speak (tell) the truth and shame the devil.” But that’s exactly what you did. This Eric “I cant,” is one spoiled , arrogant, mf! Someone aught tell him the bad news: Try as he may, he will never, and I say never, command the world wide love and respect that President Obama enjoys. Never! He may appeal to the teabaggers, but he will never appeal to the vast majority of Americans. I repeat, this is one spoiled child who, by the way, stands to benefit financially in case the government goes into default. This is another angle of Eric Cantor that needs to be exposed! Why aren’t reporters asking Cantor if he has a conflict of interests? If the government defaults, Cantor and his wife stand to reap millions because they’ve invested heavily in a company bating on default. Why are reporters shying away from asking Cantor to come clean about his blatantly conflict of interests.

32. July 13, 2011 at 9:01 pm

“Obama lit him up. Cantor sat in stunned silence.”

BOOYAH!

Cassius Can’tor (h/t TOD commenter) is in way over his head and he’s too stupid and greedy to know it. I have a feeling he’s hiding something and that he’s gonna be exposed. It won’t even have to come from the President. Once blood is in the water, some shark out there will get to nibbling.

I love Sleepy Harry’s Senate maneuver today. FINALLY, FINALLY, FINALLY Democratic Leadership seems to be on the same page. :mrgreen:

• 120 utaustinliberal
      July 13, 2011 at 9:08 pm

Oh yeah. Harry Reid forced a vote on raising taxes for the wealthy and senate gop voted NO. Now Dems have even more ammo in their stockpile to bury republicans in 2012. A Massachusetts Senator or something like that has been sending a mass email to Massachusetts voters telling them that Scott Brown also voted NO. I cannot wait for Scott Brown to be kicked out and a real dem reclaim Teddy’s sainted seat.

• 125 Tally
      July 13, 2011 at 9:10 pm

Obama has the Cantor Hold Card. All he has to do – at a press conference – is mention Cantor’s holding shorts on US Treasure Bonds, so he stands to make MONEY on America defaulting. The second he mentions it – SOMEONE will have to call for an ethics investigation and he will be romoved.

Obama can publically OUT, SHAME, and BLACKMAIL Cantor, and DESTROY his political carrier, all while following the law and speaking TRUTH – OUT LOUD.

BOO. YAH.

FUCK YEAH!

• July 13, 2011 at 9:22 pm

have a feeling he’s hiding something and that he’s gonna be exposed… Yeah, and me too. I think he’s got some hanky panky going on betting, like a ponzi scheme or something. Yep, there’s a fly In Cantor’s milk

• 131 Chi
        July 14, 2011 at 5:13 am

And Mr Cantor is going down and fast…

Taken down like others before him who have tried to mess with President Obama…

Eric Cantor is about to get a one on one with Karma…

33. 132 Bobfr
    July 13, 2011 at 9:03 pm

When they start making up this kind of crap you know they know they are going to fail.

The majority of Americans will see it for it is and will not treat them well in Nov 2012.

Yes.We.Can. … DO.More.Together!

34. 133 Tally
    July 13, 2011 at 9:05 pm

OT – I know everyone is angry with Rachel, but she’s handing Boehner his ass using SOCCER to do it.

Sorry, but that is rather EPIC.

Points where points are due.

• July 13, 2011 at 9:06 pm

But Tally, I can never forgive her for calling a goal a ‘point’!

• 135 Tally
        July 13, 2011 at 9:11 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

How awesome was that game this morning??????????

• July 13, 2011 at 9:17 pm

I missed it!! :-( Just like I missed the bin Laden announcement …. my record on missing epic happenings is embarrassing. (Not that I’m, err, comparing the World Cup to the killing of bin Laden)

• 137 Tally
            July 13, 2011 at 9:49 pm

Our girls were ON FIRE!!! It was a beautiful game!

SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY! BE THERE!!!!

We’ve never lost to Japan in World Cup play……. :D (And Sweden has beaten us twice this season….. )

And Saturday’s France v Sweden should be epic as well.

ALL OF YOU TOD FAMILY WHO NEVER WATCH SOCCER – WATCH OUR GIRLS IN THE WORLD CUP FINAL – SUNDAY 2pm EDT/11am PDT ESPN. JUST DO IT!!!

It’s the world’s most popular sport for a reason.

• 140 mb32
      July 13, 2011 at 9:50 pm

It was a good takedown of Boehner. My problem is that she doesn’t acknowledge Obama’s maneuvering at all. Maybe she thought Lawrence had covered that enough but as much as she doubted his political acumen, a little nod to the Pres would have been nice. In her narrative, Obama is not winning because of his ability but because of Boehner’s lack of ability.

35. 144 meta
    July 13, 2011 at 9:06 pm

Gawd, I wish we could see this!! I’m sure this was a phenomenal slapdown. WE ARE WITH YOU, PRESIDENT OBAMA.

36. 145 Me4obama
    July 13, 2011 at 9:06 pm

That’s why Cantor called an impromptu press conference to spin this whole mess he created.

“Obama lit him up” Cantor sat in stunned silence. Ok that’s a keeper, a quote of the decade.

37. July 13, 2011 at 9:07 pm

I think Eric (I think I’m the President) Cantor needs to join his GOP comedy show and enlist as one of their Presidential candidates.. he seems to be their new hero- and I would love nothing better than to publicly witness his intellectual ass kicking by POTUS.

I’m sick of this guy.. I am frankly more willing to believe the lower key version of this story by the Democrat over anything hyperbolic by a republican. POTUS isn’t gonna let the likes of Cantor make him ‘storm’ out. I’m guessing POTUS gave him a steely look and word after interrupting him 3 times like a child with the same BS nonsense. So poor Cantor and pals felt he got his wittle fingers slapped.

President Obama has way too much inner fortitude to play games with these fools.

38. July 13, 2011 at 9:08 pm

Somebody refresh my memory, please. What is the reference to the “Gingrich back of the plane moment?”

• July 13, 2011 at 9:13 pm

Here you go PJ:

….. During the crisis (1995/96 Government shutdown), Gingrich’s public image suffered from perception that the Republican hardline stance over the budget owed partly to a “snub” by Clinton during a flight to and from Yitzhak Rabin’s funeral in Israel. Following the trip, Gingrich attended a breakfast with reporters in Washington, where he expressed dissatisfaction with Clinton not inviting him to discuss the budget during the flight, as well as being instructed to use the plane’s rear exit, saying the snub was “part of why you ended up with us sending down a tougher continuing resolution”. In the subsequent media coverage, Gingrich was lampooned for implying that the government shutdown was a result of his personal grievances, including a widely-shared editorial cartoon depicting him as having thrown a temper tantrum. Democratic leaders, including Charles Schumer, took the opportunity to attack Gingrich’s motives for the budget standoff. Gingrich later called his comments the “single most avoidable mistake” as Speaker.

WASHINGTON (CNN) — As the government budget standoff continued Thursday, House Speaker Newt Gingrich indicated the Republican hard line was due, in part, to a “snub” from President Clinton during their recent trip to Israel for the funeral of assassinated Prime Minister Yitzhak Rabin. White House Chief of Staff Leon Panetta called the Gingrich comment “bizarre.”

The speaker said Wednesday that tough terms in the government spending bill President Clinton vetoed Monday night were included partly as the result of pique he and Senate Majority Leader Bob Dole felt on Air Force One during flights with the president to and from Israel for the funeral.

Gingrich and Dole had complained earlier about their lack of discussions with Clinton during the 25 hours of flying time. But Gingrich went a step further Wednesday by saying the incident contributed to the government shutdown.

“This is petty,” said Gingrich, indicating his displeasure at the way the two were treated. “You’ve been on the plane for 25 hours and nobody has talked to you and they ask you to get off the plane by the back ramp. … You just wonder, where is their sense of manners? Where is their sense of courtesy?”

• July 13, 2011 at 9:20 pm

Ah! Thanks Chips. I never knew about that incident.

Damn, they’re incorrigible! I have been convinced for some time now that a lot of the President’s enemies are simply a type of jilted lover — people who wanted to be in with him but to whom he’s not paying any attention (e.g. Corny West, Tavis Smiley, Donald Trump, the PL). Wouldn’t surprise me if there are quite a few congresscritters in that number — damn brats!

• 150 Doris
      July 13, 2011 at 9:14 pm

Didn’t George Bush put him in the back of Air Force One? If not Bush a President did I think.

• 153 Brian
      July 13, 2011 at 9:17 pm

If I remember the broad outline, during a shut down threat while he was Speaker, Gingrich complained about his seat assignment on Air Force One, which made him seem childishly petulant (Gee, who knew?), and Clinton ended up looking like “the only adult in the room.” It helped to bring about the end of Newt’s reign as speaker.

• 154 Anonymous
      July 13, 2011 at 9:17 pm

Clinton made Gingrich it in the back of the plane and get off the plane using the back exit while they used AF1 to go to Israel for Rabin’s funeral. Gingrich took this personally and explained that’s why he drew a hardline and shutdown the government because of the snub. Gingrich passed a stopgap budget and Clinton vetoed it – shutting down Government.

• July 13, 2011 at 9:21 pm

^^^^Thanks everyone :-) .

39. 156 Anonymous
    July 13, 2011 at 9:08 pm

Lawrence O’Donnell is celebrating because he thinks there will be no cuts – I think it’s very apparent that there will be cuts meaning O’Donnell will turn on the President very quickly when cuts are announced without any revenues.

• 157 LYNND
      July 13, 2011 at 9:24 pm

President Obama isn’t going for that, and neither are the American people.

• 158 lisalovesobama
        July 13, 2011 at 9:34 pm

I was thinking that same thing Lynnd. PBO always wanted a clean bill. I think his plan A is a clean bill and if all else fails, plan B is a compromise. But what I really think is that he wants a clean bill where he doesn’t have to sacrifice more than he needs to because–please correct me if I’m wrong— he’ll have the 2012 budget coming up and you know the repugs will hold that hostage too. So unlike Lawry, I don’t PBO is faking a compromise, I think he’s setting the stage, laying the groundwork for another showdown. Meanwhile Wall Street would force the Greed Over People party to just hurry up and pass a clean bill. I don’t know, these are just my musings.

July 13, 2011 at 9:32 pm

Saint Roscoe, please. The President is not going to cut any benefits to consumers. He’s going to make cuts in areas where money is being wasted to give to private companies.

• 160 Anonymous
        July 13, 2011 at 10:33 pm

I’m not saying entitlement cuts, but there will be the Trillion+ of ageed to cuts that Biden has been working on. There is no way there will be a clean bill because the President is on record saying he believes cuts need to be made.

But where O’Donnell and I completely disagree is that I believe President Obama wants the $4T number, that it wasn’t just for show. Now I don’t think President Obama would take a hachet to SS and Medicare either, but there would have been tweaks. I think the SS/Medicare offer was more to say “You guys really stepped in it with the Ryan Budget, I’m willing to give you cover here by tweaking medicare to let you off the political hook if you show you’re willing to come to the table with revenues so we can get something big done”.

I thin President Obama wants the big deal because than it would effectively take the issue off the table for the rest of his Presidency (until 2016) because this is a 10 year plan. That means he could move around money and make investments without the GOP saying “put that to the deficit”.

He will not accept a short term deal because it’s terrible for the economy and the GOP knows it. That is what he’s willing to go to the people with – we already say his argument during the presser the “pull off the bandaid, eat your peas” response of “if not now, then when”. Businesses need economic certainty to make their business decisions and 3 month entensions keep the uncertainty and the bad economy. I think it would be easy to explain to the American voter – if you might lose your job every three months you’re not going to make any long term investments, but if you know you have a job for 2 years that level of certainty will allow you to make purchases and plan ahead.

July 14, 2011 at 8:45 am

I agree that the President wants the “grand deal” of 4T, but I’m not so sure that he wants to actually cut SS/Medicare unless he’s making cuts to wasteful spending in the form of unnecessary payments going to private organizations. The GOP thinks he’s actually reducing BENEFITS, but that’s not what he’s thinking.

• 162 LunarSea
        July 13, 2011 at 10:54 pm

Thank you. I get so tired of hearing this crazy crap repeated everywhere. He always said ‘cut waste’ out of the program to strengthen it and make it more solvent for future generations’. What part of that don’t people understand? Like he cut waste out of the student loan program to make more money available to more students.

July 13, 2011 at 11:02 pm

Yes…we know that. I was pissed to hear Bernie Sanders talking about the President “slashing SS and Medicare” WTF????!!!!!

• 166 geegee
        July 13, 2011 at 11:50 pm

Thanks hope. Like medigap and other ripoffs by insurance companies-and probably pharmaceutal companies. And people like Bachman and her crooked lying husband who are ripping off the government through medicaid and other subsidies; just my thinking-no proof.

• July 13, 2011 at 9:39 pm

Anonymous, I don’t think there will be cuts without revenues. The President will not let the Republicans place everything on the backs of the poor and middle class, while letting the rich sacrifice nothing.

• 168 Betsy
      July 13, 2011 at 10:04 pm

No, I agree with Lawrence and I think you are misreading the President and Lawrence O’Donnell.

40. 169 LYNND
    July 13, 2011 at 9:11 pm

Just what the hell did Cantor & the tea party expect from the man who brought down Bin Laden? The president doesn’t play footsie, and he does not suffer fools gladly. I bet our dear Eric peed his pants, when the President shot him one of his icy stares. I wouldn’t want to be on the receiving end of “the look.”

• 170 Doris
      July 13, 2011 at 9:17 pm

They have the audacity to think that because the President is a black man, he is on their level or that they stand above him. This is what they all think. So they keep pushing their luck with their disrespect of the President and the Office.

41. 171 ballerina
    July 13, 2011 at 9:14 pm

No wisdom, no understanding, no counsel can avail against the LORD

The Love of Money is the root of all evil, and these evil people will not succeed. Remember that to fall on your own sword, you have to draw it in battle. I am confident that this will get done. Remember the Government Budget/ Shut down. Remember Health Care Reform. Remember DADT.
    Victory has not come easy for us, but it has always come on time. We will continue to have faith in the Lord, who will give us our victory.

42. 173 GGail
    July 13, 2011 at 9:16 pm

“Obama lit him up. Cantor sat in stunned silence.” Oh what I would give to have been in that room! hahahahahahahaha!!!!!

43. 181 Doris
    July 13, 2011 at 9:32 pm

Oh Lord, love the cartoon Chips. Gone with ya bad self!!

July 13, 2011 at 9:34 pm

I love the cartoon… Boehner is Ventriloquist Cantor’s Dummy bitch.

45. 183 GGail
    July 13, 2011 at 9:35 pm

Just heard Chip Reed on CBS Evening News say “the President did not abruptly leave the room, he simply stood up and said “see you all tomorrow” and the meeting ended”.

46. 186 Hachikō
    July 13, 2011 at 9:37 pm

Not sure we should be citing that Fox shill’s (Todd Starnes) tweets. Check out his timeline. Blech.

July 13, 2011 at 9:38 pm

So where is Donald Trump in all of this? Nary a peep from him….Oh that’s right… a burnt child dreads the fire.

48. 191 Me4obama
    July 13, 2011 at 9:40 pm

ERIC CANTOR: Breaking News, Obama is an angry BLACK MAN.

“BASE ” : Where has this Obama Been gosh I love him now and I plan to vote for him since he’s become an ANGRY BLACK MAN.

THE OBAMABOT like me: Mr. President we have your back through and through

OBAMA LOVERS: I wish I was in the same room to smack Eric Cantor’s balls.

OBAMA Ends Up Winning, Winning Winning and winning.

• 192 Tally
      July 13, 2011 at 10:21 pm

Cantor is too stupid to see this is what the PL and the EmoProgs have been wanting out of Obama forever – to GET TUFF, GET ANGRY, and KICK SOME ASS. EPIC WIN.

Thanks Eric for making our POTUS look even more AWESOME, and making yourself look like the whiny crybaby coward you are.

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!

49. 193 gd4obama
    July 13, 2011 at 9:41 pm

I could only imagine PBO….calm and collected on the outside but on the inside, just want to grab Cantor and slap the sh*t out of him.
    If it were me, I don’t think I can be calm around that fleabaggin weasel.
    Boehner, please find your balls.
    Mr President, as always, stand strong.

• 194 GGail
      July 13, 2011 at 9:47 pm

Maybe we should have the Secret Service look inside the planter boxes outside the White House for Boehner’s balls. He must be leaving them outside somewhere…don’t you think? :lol:

• 197 Uche
      July 13, 2011 at 11:38 pm

gd….why bother look for something that’s non-existent!. Boener was castrated long time ago when he allowed the TP freshmen take control of his caucus.

50. July 13, 2011 at 9:43 pm

psalm 37:9

For evildoers shall be cut off: but those that wait upon the LORD, they shall Inherit the earth.

Psalm 37:34

Wait on the LORD, and keep his way, and he shall exalt theeto Inherit the land: When the wicked are cut off, thou shalt see it.

51. July 13, 2011 at 9:44 pm

When is John Boehner going to man up?

52. 204 CEB
    July 13, 2011 at 9:44 pm

The underlying message from PBO to Cassius (Cantor) was STFU! grown folks are talking. This dissrepectful turd got what he deserved. But where is Boehner’s leadership? I guess Cassius thought that since he runs over Boehner that he could do it to PBO; the latest and one of the most egregious over-reaches from another memeber of the GOP. When will they learn? PBO is NOt the one for this and neither is the general public. Rick Scott, btw, is learning this more and more every day here in Florida. He is now polling at 27% approval (a drop from the 29% of a few weeks ago). He was booed outside of a restaurant in Jacksonville earlier this week by a group that was protesting cuts to education.

53. 206 halo
    July 13, 2011 at 9:49 pm

MAKE NO MISTAKE! THE GOP WANT THE ECONOMY TO BE IN THE WEAKEST POSSIBLE SHAPE GOING INTO NEXT YEAR. THIS IS WHY THEY’RE HOLDING OUT TO THE LAST MINUTE. THIS IS WHY THEY ARE FILLED WITH GLEE WHEN MOODYS PUTS THE US ON NOTICE.

IT WILL DEPRESS ECONOMIC ACTIVITY. THIS IS PART OF THEIR PLAN. THEY MAY NOT PULL THE TRIGGER ON EXPLODING THE ECONOMY BUT THEY WANT IT SO WEAK THAT OBAMA CAN’T CLAIM ANY IMPROVEMENTS. THIS IS TREASON

July 13, 2011 at 9:49 pm

Who will play Eric Cantor when the epic movie comes out? Someone on Old Orange suggested Gilbert Gottfried.

55. 211 gd4obama
    July 13, 2011 at 10:01 pm

LOL GGail, maybe…

Seriously Boehner needs to show some leadership, but first he has to extract his balls from the grip of the fleabaggers. Cantor only looks out for himself, come on Boner show some f**king leadership and try not to cry this time….’kay?

• 213 Doris
      July 13, 2011 at 10:04 pm

****crickets**** from the whole lot.

• 214 majii
      July 13, 2011 at 11:40 pm

None of them want to come out and say that they back keeping the tax cuts for the richest Americans and the subsidies for Big Oil and Big Business while PBO is holding center stage. They’re cowards, just like their GOP buddies in Congress.

56. 215 Mae who love our CIC
    July 13, 2011 at 10:03 pm

Cantor was acting like a whining kid. And our President can’t stand such behavior. He is fighting for our country with all his might. And for cantor with his child like behavior keep repeating the same bull shit over and over. Cantor does not have any power over our President. He slapped the shiggedy out of him with words and ended the meeting.
    Cantor is a liar and he will choke on his tongue.

57. 216 Tally
    July 13, 2011 at 10:06 pm

HOLYFUCKINGSHIT.

Quick! Everyone look outside your windows – are pigs flying???

Ed Schultz just said, “I think President Obama is the most honest broker Washington has seen in a long, long time.”

*thunk*

Did I accidentally eat some sort of halucinigen I didn’t know about??? (I don’t know, the strongest drug I’ve ever done is Champagne or my pain pills for “angry uterus.”)

• 217 Hachikō
      July 13, 2011 at 10:09 pm

Ed doesn’t know what he believes about POTUS from one day to the next.

• 223 utaustinliberal
      July 13, 2011 at 10:09 pm

Whaaaaaaaat!!!!??? Ed complimented POTUS. Ok I’m heading for the windows to see if I can catch a glimpse of said flying pigs.

July 13, 2011 at 10:14 pm

I did the same thing too! I simply couldn’t believe what I was hearing. I thought maybe I had accidentally dozed off and was dreaming that Ed said that PBO was honest.

• 225 Betsy
      July 13, 2011 at 10:10 pm

But he also continues the meme that President Obama is not listening to his base, when 80% of his base approves of the president.

• 226 Doris
      July 13, 2011 at 10:12 pm

I’m listening. He’s still got issues though. Jackass.

• July 13, 2011 at 10:12 pm

Yeah, but he’s still touting the lie that the President wants to end SS and Medicare, so he’s still on my shit list until he man-up and stop telling that lie.

• July 13, 2011 at 10:18 pm

Tally you spoke too soon, because he once again added that if the president takes this present deal that the people are not going to go out and vote, and write the 25 dollar checks or knock on the doors.

Ed is one stupid loud mouth dumb Mother*#&

• 230 Tally
        July 13, 2011 at 10:31 pm

yeah, but Sanders set him straight.

• July 14, 2011 at 6:06 am

I told Ed that I used to respect him, I use to like his show. Not anymore. When he starts telling people not to vote for Obama in 2012, he becomes my enemy now. So I don’t care if Msnbc were to canceal his show or give it to Rev. Sharpton.

• 232 lisalovesobama
      July 13, 2011 at 10:45 pm

FUCK!!!!! Earlier this morning when people where talking about Ed and his anti-Obama rants, I clicked on reply and started to write this:” $20 says Ed will be singing PBO’s praises tonight.”—- mostly because of the fundraising — then I changed my mind and canceled my reply. Damn!!!! PBO coulda raked in alot of dough tonight after I had you guys donate it all to OFA!!! Damn! Next time, I’ll go with my first choice :?

58. July 13, 2011 at 10:11 pm

Cantor’s behind is so on fire that he could not walk out of the room. So what if he walked out of the room. He would not be the first President who do so. However, Cantor needs some press, so he probably just lied on the President. Why would the President allow Cantor to upset him? No way. President Barack Obama is in charge. They wanted to meet, and believe me President Obama is giving them some meetings and a whole bunch of shut the …. up, enough of this bull. Now come in here tomorrow and have your home work done. I have things to get down, and we have things to get down. Do not play me for a fool, okay. Have a nice evening. Then he gave them that million plus dollar smile, and said to Harry,” Let’s get the hell out of here, Harry. I have enough of this bull. Then he gave Cantor that swagger that only President Barack Obama can give and left the room life a gentleman with balls.

• July 13, 2011 at 10:15 pm

excuse the spellings, I can’t see on the screen, and plus I am pissed about them lying on my President. Cantor is no match for President Barack H. Obama.

• 239 cathy2va
      July 14, 2011 at 6:45 am

Cantor lied. The President starts all meetings and ends all meetings. The meeting starts when the President enters the room and ends when he leaves. i.e. — see Presidential Protocol. Does Cantor think the American people are stupid? The President always controls meetings.

59. 240 Tally
    July 13, 2011 at 10:18 pm

I just donated another $50 to OBAMA2012 as a FUCK YOU to Eric Cantor & the GOP. #GOPFAIL #MEDIAFAIL

• 241 taiping1
      July 13, 2011 at 11:15 pm

Me too! Cantor, McConnell are both so disrespectful. When Democrats were in the minority they worked with GWB and accorded the president respect. But they are no match on any level (intelligence, strength, compassion, integrity, and of course guts) to our president.

• July 14, 2011 at 6:00 am

Some is saying the President abruptly walked out of the meeting. I don’t believe he did, because it comes from Cantor. The meeting was over, so the President said what he had to say and left. But if he did walk out on Cantor, who could blame him. I don’t trust Cantor. Where is Boehner? Isn’t he the leader of the House? Or have he pass it to Cantor? Cantor is a liar and he can’t be trusted

60. July 13, 2011 at 10:21 pm

Tally, I did the same just before i went down to prepare my dinner. F them all. We Got this.

61. 244 Doris
    July 13, 2011 at 10:25 pm

Oh look, there’s fight. Kick teaparty butt!

62. July 13, 2011 at 10:35 pm

Cantor is accused of juvenile behavior during the meeting. POTUS swatted him like a fly!

63. July 13, 2011 at 10:35 pm

The president gets big business involved, maybe this is why the republican establishment is shitting a brick.

• 247 EDP4BHO
      July 13, 2011 at 10:59 pm

Thanks Jovie, resident roving reporter to TOD :-D

• 248 Ladyhawke
      July 13, 2011 at 11:38 pm

Jovie, from your link I saw this post from Joe Klein…

CANTOR TO THE WOODSHED

David Rogers over at Politico, who has been doing this–extremely well–for about as long as I have, has word that the President of the United States monstered down on Representative Eric Cantor in Wednesday’s deficit ceiling squabble. This is so refreshing on so many levels. Cantor has been using this crisis to undermine his leader John Boehner, by playing the Tea Party/Grover Norquist recalcitrance card. The boy badly needed someone to get up in his face and Barack Obama, of all people, apparently did, telling Cantor, in no uncertain terms, that he’d veto any short term deficit ceiling fix or, indeed, any plan that did not include revenue increases. Then Obama walked out, or the meeting ended, depending on whom you talk to.

So what we have now is the Republican party in, yes, disarray–a word used to describe Democrats almost exclusively, back in the day before the crazies took over the GOP store. You have Cantor and the House Teasies opposing any revenue increases, including a tax loophole closing plan that Ronald Reagan and Edmund Burke would have smiled upon. You have Boehner, struck dumb apparently, after his attempt at bipartisan statesmanship with the President was greeted by tossed shoes and catcalls from the Teasies. You have Mitch McConnell, well, I’m speechless about Mitch McConnell…

Read more: http://swampland.time.com/2011/07/13/cantor-to-the-woodshed/#ixzz1S2zoDToF

July 13, 2011 at 10:47 pm

Lindsey Graham just admitted that they(Republicans) are the ones to blame for this debt ceiling fake crisis!

• 250 lisalovesobama
      July 13, 2011 at 11:35 pm

what?! I gotta see that!!

• 252 LunarSea
      July 14, 2011 at 12:02 am

Wow Graham said that??? He used to be one of the few rethugs I could stomach, then they must have gotten to him because he came out and said some really dumb stuff and and disappeared from the limelight. I haven’t heard from him in months.

And this is how he breaks his silence? Something’s up. Like he sold his soul and is now trying to reclaim it.

65. 253 P
    July 13, 2011 at 10:48 pm

Proud of mr Pookie Bear tonight!!!!!! I cosign with everyone here but I must admit this on going arguments is scaring me….these fucking Repubs gosh………..time is of the essence!

• 254 GGail
      July 13, 2011 at 10:53 pm

P, have faith in your President.

• 255 Doris
        July 13, 2011 at 10:55 pm

Yep, he’s got the best team and above all, he’s got the Lord.

• 256 P
        July 13, 2011 at 11:14 pm

I got 100% faith in PBO it’s these damn Republicans that’s scaring me!!!! They are not thinking for the benefit of the American people! It’s like they prefer to see the economy crash and Obama fail than to do the right thing! C’mon how much more can the poor be opressed and the rich protected! I don’t understand these Republicans at ALL!!!!!!

• 257 Doris
          July 13, 2011 at 11:19 pm

P, it’s good for the American people to see the Repugs just for who they are. We don’t need a repeat of 2010. They are such liars, so let them hang themselves. It’s all good.

• 258 P
            July 13, 2011 at 11:27 pm

I hope they are paying attention!! Couldn’t believe Americans would let what happened in 2010 happen…and they did!! I just hoping nervously that they don’t blame Obama if Congress doesn’t vote for raising the debt ceiling and it results in disaster! You all know how they like to blame Obama for all the mess he INHERITED!!! I hope the American people are paying attention and not listening to FOX news!!!!

• 259 lisalovesobama
      July 13, 2011 at 10:57 pm

It’s okay to be concerned and anxious P, but like PBO’s wicked cool poster says– disregarding the first part of that message on the poster– ” ……… I got this!!!!” ;)

• 260 P
        July 13, 2011 at 11:17 pm

Yes I am anxious and concerned :(. This must be stressing PBO to the max….must say an additional word of prayer for him and his family and for the first time the Republicans also..they need it!!

• 261 lisalovesobama
          July 13, 2011 at 11:25 pm

So true P. They all need prayer, even when we are super anxious for this president, I try to remind myself that god doesn’t give us more than we can bear. God has his hands on PBO’s shoulder’s P, so do we. But you are totally right, let’s keep on praying because you can never give enough love or prayer.

• 262 P
            July 13, 2011 at 11:29 pm

:). You just made me :).
            “I try to remind myself that god doesn’t give us more than we can bear. God has his hands on PBO’s shoulder’s P, so do we.”
            Thanks for that reminder, my heart is at ease now.