Jul

okay, now i’m starved….

WH: President Obama was wrapping up an interview with Mario Andres Moreno for Univision Miami’s Channel 23 at the White House in May when the conversation turned to the Eastern Conference Finals. The Bulls were one game away from facing the Miami Heat and a friendly wager was struck … if the Bulls won, Moreno would send the President some Cuban Fritas and if the Heat won, the President would send Moreno some fully loaded Chicago Dogs.

As fate would have it, the Bulls lost to the Heat and Moreno won the bet.

Last week, as promised, a large package of hot dogs with all the fixins arrived at Channel 23’s offices in Miami with everything needed to bring the Chicago Dog experience to the Sunshine State. Inside the insulated box were packages of all beef hot dogs, poppy seed buns, yellow mustard, bright green relish, onions, tomato wedges, pickle spears, sport peppers and celery salt – as well as a note from President Obama himself…

During the evening news broadcast, Mario Andres Moreno sat in his anchor’s chair with his Chicago Dog waiting in front of him as he recounted the story with his co-anchors.  A screen shot behind them featured a picture of the President, a hot dog, and the tag, “Palabra Cumplida”- “Kept His Word.”

45 Responses to “okay, now i’m starved….”

1. 1 GGail
    July 13, 2011 at 7:11 pm

Kept His Word. boy am I glad that I’m eating a corned beef sandwich while reading this thread Chipsticks. It’s dinnertime!!!! :-)

2. 4 lisalovesobama
    July 13, 2011 at 7:12 pm

I seriously, seriously, love stories like these. I wish the public would look pass all the PL and the Repug propaganda and just see this. Maybe then they’d realize that he’s doing the very best he can for everyone.

• July 13, 2011 at 7:28 pm

Absolutely true, Lisa.

• 6 dotster
      July 13, 2011 at 7:30 pm

Also love stories like this. Chgo has got this hot dog thing DOWN. The city puts out the best dogs in the country, and it’s snobby about it!!! :)
      Chicago produces the best hot dogs, and the very best Top Dogs! Get it? :)

• 7 GGail
        July 13, 2011 at 7:34 pm

Got it dotster! And those Chicago dogs are delicious! They even have a spot in the Chicago Airport that’s always busy.

• 8 Fred
          July 13, 2011 at 8:03 pm

there’s a tiny hot dog joint right across the street from the Walgreens on Clark Street/Halsted where the Sports Authority is.Defreakinglicious :D :lol: :lol:

• 9 COS
      July 13, 2011 at 8:03 pm

I absolutely love these type of stories also. PBO is so down to earth and a man of his word. Faux news is going to really enjoy this one. LOL

• 11 LunarSea
      July 13, 2011 at 9:05 pm

I truly think most of them do. At least the ones I talk with at work and in social settings.

• 12 nathkatun7
      July 14, 2011 at 12:23 am

Well said Lisa! In my humble opinion, President Obama is one of the best presidents in my life time. He has the ability to seriously focus on dealing with monumental issues. At the same time, and contrary to the false meme that he is an elitist, he is also the most relaxed, down to earth President who relates very well with people from from all backgrounds. I am continuously impressed with his knowledge of sports; from his beloved basketball, to baseball, to football and to soccer. I also love his ease and ability to relate to people, especially children.

May be that’s why teabag-Republicans must resort to measures aimed at destroying the country, hoping that that may be the only way they can defeat him. Regardless of what the American electorate may choose to do in 2012, I am absolutely convinced that none of the people running against him will ever be able to command the love and respect of the people, worldwide, the way he has been able to.

3. 13 cuphalffull
    July 13, 2011 at 7:15 pm

The President has a sense of humor and is a good sport.

4. 14 Fred
    July 13, 2011 at 7:17 pm

so glad I am eating my crabs while eating this or I’d be starving :lol:

• 15 utaustinliberal
      July 13, 2011 at 7:26 pm

Hahahahahaha…… Fred you’re “eating your crabs?” your crabs? ;) I could make dirty jokes galore….. but I’m just going to eat my Honey Nut Cheerios ;)

• 16 Fred
        July 13, 2011 at 7:53 pm

I thought of what you had in mind too UT but I went what the hell and kept on eating them and typing at the same time ;) :lol:

speaking of crabs;it’s unfortunate that the President has to deal with a bunch of them and I ain’t talking about the edible ones :roll:

• July 13, 2011 at 9:56 pm

ummmmmm Fred, I loveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee crabs, ummmmmmmm :D

July 13, 2011 at 7:19 pm

Can I go on a bet with my President, so that he can send me some Chicago deep-dish pizza if I win? Thanks in advance Mr. President!!!! I’m waiting for my pizza now.

July 13, 2011 at 7:20 pm

Even when it comes down to the most basic of promises like a Chicago dog with all the fixings, President Obama KEEPS HIS WORD. This is one of the little ways one can judge a person’s character. He didn’t have to send the hot dogs with all the condiments, after all it was just an off the cuff moment. Yet he did. This is why we judge one not by the color of his/her skin, but the content of his/her character. Even the crew at the Spanish station realized that He “Palabra Cumplida.”

7. 21 Me4obama
    July 13, 2011 at 7:22 pm

President tells republicans to decide by Friday if they want a deficit compromise or raise the deficit ceiling.

July 13, 2011 at 7:23 pm

UH-Oh..This just in: President Obama abruptly ends tense meeting.

• July 13, 2011 at 7:24 pm

If it’s true, sounds like Cantor really pissed him off. What a smarmy jerk.

July 13, 2011 at 7:28 pm

Yes, it WAS Cantor! I’m taking this from Jovie’s link:

///House Majority Leader Eric Cantor, R-Va., raised yet again the possibilty of a short-term fix, which President Obama , seemingly frustrated — according to Republicans — shot down, abruptly ending the meeting. ///

July 13, 2011 at 7:29 pm

Correction: it’s from Me4obama’s link :)

• July 13, 2011 at 7:34 pm

They are really trying his patience. Remember when he said he’s okay until you show him you’re trying to take advantage of him? Sounds like he’s reached that point. Go get ‘em, Mr. President.

BTW did any one see Rev Al tonight? I swear he shows them how journalism should be done. He will not let them spin’ makes them answer the questions and comes back at them when they lie. Keep tweeting MSNBC to give him the 6pm slot permanently.

• 27 GGail
          July 13, 2011 at 7:31 pm

Ooooooooo Cantor, you in trouble now!

• 28 LunarSea
            July 13, 2011 at 9:19 pm

I love the idea of Pres. Obama getting ticked off at Can’tor but really that is a Jake Trapper piece and this is the direct quote “which President Obama , seemingly frustrated — according to Republicans — shot down, abruptly ending the meeting.” (with original formatting)

Notice he makes sure to state ‘according to Rethugs’. We know for a fact they come out of these closed door discussions spinning like mad. I have no reason to believe this isn’t more spin to make PBO appear to the loonies as the ‘angry, unreasonable, black man’ in the WH. Of course that’s just my take on Jake.

9. 29 CTGirl
    July 13, 2011 at 7:25 pm

This is why I can’t help loving my Prez.

10. July 13, 2011 at 7:25 pm

Nice!! Always a man of his word. My dad always told us that a person’s word is his or her bond.

I wish we had video.

11. July 13, 2011 at 7:35 pm

From Luke Russert on twitter:

Cantor: “The president told me, ‘Eric don’t call my bluff, you know I’m going to take this to the American people. He then walked out.”

• 32 utaustinliberal
      July 13, 2011 at 7:53 pm

Awesome. Just fucking awesome. Oh to be a fly on the wall.

• 33 LunarSea
      July 13, 2011 at 9:21 pm

Yes I would love to be a fly on the wall. Hey, maybe a new drone type invention: the proverbial ‘fly on the wall’ machine. :lol:

12. July 13, 2011 at 7:39 pm

Another tweet. This from the NY Post, a republican rag so you have to take it with a grain of salt. Sounds like PBO is sticking with making the rich pay their share.

RT @JimPethokoukis O storms out of debt meeting http://t.co/KR3TH9h GOP source said: “Fierce insistence on higher taxes is beyond bizarre”
    1 minute ago via web

• 35 LunarSea
      July 13, 2011 at 9:23 pm

I am reserving judgment until I hear someone other than GOP quoted on what went down behind closed walls. I refuse to let those fools pull my strings any more. But I love the idea of a good smack down by PBO

13. July 13, 2011 at 7:43 pm

Oops! Wisconsin voters disapprove of Walker.

A new University of Wisconsin Survey Center’s Badger Poll finds 59% of Wisconsin residents disapprove of Gov. Scott Walker’s (R) performance and 55% are dissatisfied with the way things are going in Wisconsin.

• 37 LunarSea
      July 13, 2011 at 9:26 pm

lol the idiots walker gang thought if gov. shut down people would blame dems. Well all I can say to that is SURPRISE!

14. 38 AnitaW
    July 13, 2011 at 7:53 pm

I wish there was video to the reporter getting his hot dogs.

15. 39 HZ
    July 13, 2011 at 8:58 pm

Oh, Fred, I am soooooooo hungry for those crabs. I love seafood. My, my my. We all should have a BIG dinner after the elections in 2012 and make our favorite dish and just enjoy a great time together. But this is who our President is to his core; he keeps his word. The President is just the best. I love him.

• 40 Betsey
      July 13, 2011 at 9:06 pm

I still remember you describing your Easter dinner, HZ, and how delicious that sounded. It was rack of lamb. You said you were alone because your brother couldn’t join you, and I thought it was great that you made yourself something so yummy.

16. July 13, 2011 at 9:20 pm

I don’t believe anything Eric Cantor says. The President listen, said what he had to say, then the meeting was over. He left and who can blame him. He sat there for over two hours listening to Cantor saying nothing, Boehner really saying nothing, so the President stated his case and said see you tomorrow. Besides, he had three lovely ladies waiting for him to have dinner with, and given the choice of Cantor and his lies, and lies, and lies, or having dinner with Michelle, Malia, and Sasha. I think he choose his ladies. If Cantor were saying anything of substance, I’m sure the President would have remain there. But listening to those same GOP talking points, well who blames the President for saying the meeting was over. You notice Cantor didn’t say anything about him interupting the President three times.

• July 13, 2011 at 9:26 pm

He couldn’t wait to get before the cameras and tell his lie about the President walking out abruptly.

• 43 LunarSea
      July 13, 2011 at 10:17 pm

My thoughts also. Of course the President is pissed at their foolishness, but I can’t see him ‘storming’ out. I can see him giving the vulcan death grip. But he’s just not the storming out type. He’s more the swagger my way outta here and leave you all to your BS but you got till Friday to come to your senses. End. Of. Story. he he he

17. 44 cathy2va
    July 14, 2011 at 6:18 am

Love this story! By the way, all Presidents start and end meetings. The meeting starts when they enter the room and ends when they leave the room! Cantor is a jerk and does not understand Presidential Protocol. He needs to show respect for this President just like he would for any other. I am getting tired of the lack of respect the GOP (Greed over people) Party shows President Obama.

18. 45 Titti
    July 14, 2011 at 7:33 am

Same as when he went to that diner last month on a promise made in 2008. A man of his word indeed. Video plz.

RSS Steve Benen