Aug

‘public support for gop plummets’

Steve Benen: American voters clearly aren’t happy, and no one in Washington is winning any popularity contests, but support for the Republican Party is deteriorating at a surprising pace. A new CNN poll shows the GOP “had the upper hand” when it came to holding the debt ceiling hostage, but the party has “lost a lot of ground with the public” in the process.

A lot of that anger seems directed toward the GOP. According to the survey, favorable views of the Republican party dropped eight points over the past month, to 33 percent. Fifty-nine percent say they have an unfavorable view of the Republican party, an all-time high dating back to 1992 when the question was first asked.

The poll indicates that views of the Democratic party, by contrast, have remained fairly steady, with 47 percent saying they have a favorable view of the Democrats and an equal amount saying they hold an unfavorable view.

…. the Republican Party’s support is down to an embarrassing 33% — the lowest either party has seen in two decades of CNN polls.

There’s plenty of speculation about what the 2012 elections have in store, and whether President Obama can win given the larger headwinds. It’s worth remembering that it matters what voters think of the opposition party, and if the recent trends pick up, the much of the public might balk at the idea of handing a wildly-unpopular Republican Party control of the White House and Congress.

Full post here

28 Responses to “‘public support for gop plummets’”

1. 1 joyce
    August 9, 2011 at 2:42 pm

Finally the voters are paying attention and the teapublicans are being exposed. Thank goodness

• 2 COS
      August 9, 2011 at 2:51 pm

In the midst of this messy debt ceiling process, the fact that the TPublicans were exposed is a good thing. People who never pay attention, took a look and really found out who they are and what they stand for. Most people do not like bullies. Everyone says that the economy will decide the election. I think folks with wake up and see that the republicans are not doing anything to improve the economy.

• 3 majii
        August 9, 2011 at 5:18 pm

Too true, COS. While the firebaggers, frustrati, and PL were screaming about PBO not using the bully pulpit, he was actively involved in exposing the republicans to the American people, and he did it with finesse. We, the pragmati, were paying attention and knew what he was doing, but the other so-called “progressives” didn’t have a clue. When you scream so much, you can’t focus on the goal(s.) PBO has pierced the heart of the GOP, and I believe this is why they are in so much disarray. McConnell, Cantor, Ryan, and Boehner are still hellbent on proving S&P’s assessment of our creditworthiness to be true. This is causing them to dig in their heels and plan another stunt–just what PBO wants them to do. They are on record planning another impasse. An 8 term congressman from TX is taking advice on impeaching PBO from one of his constituents in order to keep PBO from accomplishing anything. I think PBO is frustrated with them, but I also think he’s happy to see that the American people are punishing them in the polls, too. The republicans have got to have seen these poll numbers, and they have to know who is the cause of their decline in the polls: PBO.

2. 6 SUE DUVALL SMITH
    August 9, 2011 at 2:43 pm

LET’S HOPE THE BITTER LESSONS LEARNED AFTER THE MIDTERMS WILL BE REMEMBERED SIGNIFICANTLY BY VOTERS IN 2012! IT’S GOING TO GET DIRTY AND THE REPUGS. WILL SLING ‘FEAR’ EVERYWHERE. AMERICANS CAN’T FALL FOR IT. THEY NEED TO WISE UP TO A PARTY THAT COULD CARE LESS ABT. MAIN ST. AMERICA OR THOSE WHO NEED LIFTING FROMTHEIR CHALLENGES. MY BIGGEST CONCERN IS THAT THE FAR-RIGHT WILL HIGHLY PUSH PERRY BECAUSE HE IS USING ‘GOD’ FOR POLITICAL MOVES. ROMNEY WILL BE GONE WHEN PERRY ANNOUNCES…SO WILL THE REST OF THE GOP CIRCUS OF CANDIDATES. IN MY CHURCH…THEY ARE ALREADY LOOKING FORWARD TO PERRY’S RUN! IT’S GOING TO GET HOT!

• 7 tao jones
      August 9, 2011 at 5:28 pm

But look where media love gets you. I’ve seen nothing but free advertising for months about how Tim Pawlenty is the man to beat. He never got above 5% in any poll.

The media wa.ta one thing only: a close nailbiter of an election to drive ratings and therefore

• 8 tao jones
        August 9, 2011 at 5:30 pm

And therefore ad revenues. Perry is just the latest Great White Hype for our profit driven media.

3. August 9, 2011 at 2:49 pm

They will continue to sink. Why? Because they are all about sloganeering and they tend to overreach. Even as the media tries to cover for them, the public sees.

President Obama has a steady hand and is leading this country despite the difficulties. Democrats are honing their message and hopefully ithey continue.

As pertaining to the Stock Market, I wanted to make this note. I read a piece in the other thread about the market rebounding.

THIS:

“Zandi emphasized the importance of maintaining confidence in the economic climate”

I don’t hear anyone saying it, but our president’s cool demeanor yesterday (as always) gave people not only in this country but around the world confidence after the S&P debacle. Can you imagine if he had come out in a bombastic way accusing people left and right — not that there are not enough people to be blamed for this fiasco.

What was that he said? “We are an AAA country,” — I think that’s what he said.

I believe he helped this happen today.

• 10 FactPlus
      August 9, 2011 at 3:24 pm

Excellent Africa. to the point.

• 11 majii
      August 9, 2011 at 5:22 pm

Exactly right, Africa. I have watched as the GOP jackwagons have pooh poohed “hope” as being a small thing to be derided, but PBO provided hope for the nation, and the world, on yesterday as you have pointed out so well in your post.

4. August 9, 2011 at 2:50 pm

For those working in Wisconsin, they need to pull this information and share it with every voter they come in contact with.

• August 9, 2011 at 3:05 pm

I sure hope the voters in Wisconsin speak loudly and clearly today! Can you imagine the message that will be sent if Wisconsin manages to recall all, or most of, the GOP senators in question? And if the democratic senators manage to hold their seats in the next set of recall votes? Oh please! Oh please, Wisconsin!

• 14 MTmarilyn
        August 9, 2011 at 4:36 pm

I so agree. On Wisconsin! It is hard for me to listen or read anything because this is so important. I pray the people turn out for change.

5. 15 Obamaperson
    August 9, 2011 at 2:52 pm

It should plummet. They are seeking to destroy the country imagining that in so doing we will throw Obama out of the Presidency, they will get back in, and start handing out even more tax cuts and creating even more loop holes for the rich.

• 16 majii
      August 9, 2011 at 5:31 pm

I have zero compassion for the poor and middle class Americans with 401ks, stocks, municipal bonds, T bills, IRAs, etc., who voted for republicans with a smile on their faces to “teach” PBO a lesson in the midterms, and I feel the same way about the dems who chose not to show up to vote in the midterms for the same reason. IMO, you get the government you deserve, and for whom you vote is very important. This is why I began to tune the PL, firebaggerrs, and frustrati crew out in early 2010. PBO had only been in office a little more than a year, they were already acting stupid, and I can’t stand stupidity fueled by nothing, except emotion. I put up with that kind of thing for 33 years in a high school classroom, and I have no intention of being bothered with so-called adults who do the same thing.

6. 17 Sheila R.
    August 9, 2011 at 3:05 pm

Are Americans finally coming to their senses? Looks like the Teabaggers went too far.

August 9, 2011 at 3:33 pm

As more and more voters become exposed to the dangerous ideas, intractability, and unwillingness to compromise that is the banner for the GOPTeaparty; the more they’ll end up disgusted and hopefully realize that they have it much much more better with PBO and the Dems.

• 20 Sue in Minnesota
      August 9, 2011 at 3:52 pm

There is much to expose the Republicans for, they truly do not have the best interests of average Americans in mind. Change is hard, people resist change….President Obama has patiently, and continually given exposure to the nature and agenda of the Republicans to willingly sabotage the well being and security of most Americans.

We have to keep chipping away as well. I like the idea of holding voters responsible for both the act of voting and the policy outcomes of those they elect. At this time anyone that votes Republican owes me an explanation for why they have agreed to empowering those that would destroy America.

8. August 9, 2011 at 3:40 pm

Chipsticks, I love that upsidedown elephant you used to illustrate this story! Every time I see it I laugh.

9. August 9, 2011 at 3:56 pm

2012 we can’t get rid of all of them,but we can get rid of as many as we can, specially Boehner and Canter. Put people in Congress and Senate who will work with President Obama to make this country better.

• 23 theo67
      August 9, 2011 at 5:52 pm

Considering that President Obama was open to hearing all suggestions and working on compromise, the intransigence of the Republican party and their willingness to throw the country into default for sheer political gain is even more shameful. If they would have presented any good ideas, they would have been incorporated into any solution if they made it better, so it was representative of the entire country and not just one ideology. But, the only thing they wanted was their way or no way.

When people say that President Obama’s re-election hinges on the state of the economy or the state of the wars or the state of whatever – I always ask myself, “well, what is the alternative being offered up so we can do a comparison that the alternative to President Obama would be better somehow”. There is no alternative being offered up. The Republican position is that they are against anything the President is for. And when they do offer up suggestions, somehow, they always seem to be bad for some group – either the working class, minorities, women, children, etc. So, if the economy isn’t good, why would I leave the path that President Obama has laid out, when he’s offering up real solutions, and fully prepared to shift gears and try something new if the first path doesn’t’ work? Why would I think that Republicans are going to do anything regarding the wars that will end them any fast or any more safely than President Obama is trying to do. How can I assume that Republicans will offer a health care solution that will serve more people and bring down costs any more than President Obama’s plans? How will any single Republican unite this country when they have been dividing people for the past 2.5 years?

My conclusion is that no matter how bad the situation gets in 2012, there is no other and no better alternative than President Obama. He’s a gift and a once in a lifetime person. Republicans have not offered one viable alternative or suggestion or solution that would make me tell my voting friends that their lot will be better off under a Republican offering failed policies, than under President Obama, who is a proven success – and a thinker.

10. 24 Left-Indie
    August 9, 2011 at 5:13 pm

Love it. I want bumper sticker of it. Let’s hope their demise starts with Wisonsin dems winning back the state senate and stopping the Koch boy in his tracks.

11. 25 gd4pbo
    August 9, 2011 at 5:46 pm

Continue to pay attention America! PBO is doing a damn good job of exposing the republican teahadists party.

12. 26 Debra
    August 9, 2011 at 5:52 pm

I am so glad the tealiiban repubs are being exposed for the hostage taking terrorist they are.

13. 27 lmrj
    August 9, 2011 at 7:00 pm

I had a Facebook comments conversation yesterday with my thirty-something niece. She’s not one of them, but there’s a group in my family of the same age who do not vote. Really irritates me. Her comment stated a nervousness with what was happening with the stock market, because, in her words “Everything is tied to the stock market!” I then used her comment as a springboard to educate her friends: “That’s why the Prez and Dems have been fighting the crazy t-party repubs in Congress. We all need to be paying attention and we all need to make sure to work to get the Prez and Dems back in office in 2012. This is what happens when people don’t go out and vote. This is the result of the 2010 election when Dems lost their congressional campaigns to crazy t-party people because their Dem supporters didn’t vote. It will be even worse if we don’t get Dems back in office next year.”

After my comment….. crickets. Don’t know if I even got through to them, but I posted anyway. My niece will probably be defriending me soon… lol… :-)

14. August 9, 2011 at 8:28 pm

Well it just oughta, shouldn’t it? They’re not just terrible politicians, they’re bad examples for human beings. Maybe Americans are FINALLY starting to realize this on a national scale after DECADES of the GO(T)P’s boorish, unaccountable behavior and their utter incompetence.

RSS OFA